Shiloh - Cover

Shiloh

Copyright© 2005 Ernest Bywater & R. Michael Lowe aka The Scot

Chapter 07: Arrangements

An indignant Robert looks harshly at his wife and asks, “You’re not going to support this wedding, are you?”

“Robert, we will talk about it later! This is not the time or place.”

“Charlotte, will you at least answer one question?”

“As long as we can remain civil. Your father was too good a man to have this time become a battle royal.”

“Why would you support their marriage?”

“Robert, I don’t think you want to hear the answer.”

“Yes, I really want to understand.”

“I think she’ll make him happy enough not to need a mistress. That, alone, will make her a better wife than I am.”

“Charlotte! What are you talking about?”

“Robert, darling, do you really want me to start naming names in front of everyone. I know about every one of your peccadilloes, but I’ve stayed with you, in spite of them. Please don’t bring that lifestyle down on your son.” Robert turns beet red and you can almost see the steam coming from under his finely starched collar.

Before Robert can respond Charlotte grabs Kathleen and heads out the door. Where did I get the guts to say that? she asks herself. I guess old Jonas’ legacy still lives, even after he’s dead.

Kyle’s mother has another surprise when she gets to Kathleen’s car; she isn’t prepared for it to be a two seat sports car. While she stares at the highly polished midnight blue convertible with tan leather seats and matching tan top Charlotte remarks, “Kathleen, the girls will love your car, but we can’t all four get in it.”

KK thinks for a moment and says, “As I see it we can borrow Kyle’s Jeep, use Jonas’ Buick, or rent a car.”

“Kathleen, after what I just said I don’t want to go back in there for a while, nor do I want to set you up to catch more of Robert’s wrath. I’ll call the hotel to have them get us a limo and driver. It’ll probably be waiting for us when we arrive.”

“If that’s what you want. If you’d rather rent a car, I don’t mind doing the driving.”

While the two women climb into the Miata Charlotte replies, “Well, I’m thinking of getting the limo for several reasons. It gives me the perfect opportunity to point out your car as the reason for the limo. Of course, it’s not a Benz, Beemer, or Jag, but either of my daughters would cut off a finger if their father will let them have something similar to drive. That’ll immediately elevate your status with them.”

After a short pause she continues, “Another reason for the limo is it’s much harder for us to really chat while you’re concentrating on driving, and I’m serious in wanting to get to know you. I want my little snobs to get to know you too, so maybe some of your sweet nature will rub off on them. God knows, something needs to. Finally, we won’t have to look for parking places or carry around all the bags. We can leave our purchases at each store and the limo driver will pick them up to pack them in the trunk for us.”

“Charlotte, your logic makes perfectly good sense. Let’s go for it.”

“Good! Now, Kathleen, please don’t take this as a negative, but how much do you know about the better women’s shops in town? I suspect you can look better dressed at the Gap than my daughters can from the most exclusive shops in town. The problem is the Gap is too plebeian for their tastes and they’ll simply go nude before they’ll shop at Target or Walmart.”

“I’m glad you worded it that way, I’m already feeling overwhelmed and insecure. To answer your questions, I doubt I can even find the Gap, because over half of my clothes I made myself. As for the location of exclusive women’s shops, I don’t have a clue.”

“Do you really make your own clothes? How simply delightful to have that much talent and ability. Indulge me in one thing, though.”

“Sure. What do you want me to do?

“Instead of telling the girls you sew tell them most of your outfits are custom made. It’ll be our little joke, but it will set them up rather well. Even they can’t have their clothes custom made. When they start bitching you’ve something they don’t I’ll buy them a sewing machine.”

KK giggles while she thinks, This woman’s shrewd, smart, and funny.

Charlotte also laughs, both at her own comment and Kathleen’s cute giggle. She continues, “I’ll have the hotel concierge get us the limo and a list of the better places.”

This panics KK. “Charlotte, I can’t afford to shop at places like that. I’m not poor, but I’m still working my way through college.”

“Relax, girl, everything will go on my credit card and Robert won’t know the difference. Today’s my treat.”

Feeling rather awkward KK answers, “Are you sure? I wouldn’t want to cause you trouble.”

“Don’t worry about it. Most of the money is mine, anyway!”

“I’m confused. I thought he was the big executive?”

“He is, and he’s good at it. That’s why I put up with his affairs. See, my grandfather was a wildcatter. Do you know what that is?”

“I think so. An independent speculative oil man.”

“That’s as good a definition as I’ve heard. Anyway, Papa hit it big and founded the company. The lawyers convinced him to put his stock in a perpetual trust. I get current income, but I can’t touch the stock. What I can touch are the proxy certificates which allow me to vote the stock. Of course Papa didn’t own all of the stock, but the trust still has the largest single block with forty percent of it.”

The now enlightened Kathleen says, “So he’s the CEO of a company you basically control, but can’t own. He makes a big salary because he generates sizable dividends to you and all the other stockholders. Thus, in a mercenary sense, you put up with his affairs because he generates a large income for you.”

“It’s not quite that cut and dried, nor that cold and calculating. There are some other reasons I can’t discuss.”

“But what about your daughters? I can tell you’re nothing like you describe them.”

“We’re almost to the hotel. I’ll explain more later, but the essence of it is Robert has forced both of them into the image he wanted and I’ve been unwilling to stand up to him about it.”

“But why?”

“Kathleen, I’ll explain it sometime in the future, but at a time of my own choosing. This is neither the time or the place.”

When she pulls into a parking spot at the hotel a very frustrated and impatient Kathleen reluctantly replies, “Yes, Ma’am.”


It takes Robert several minutes to calm down after his wife leaves. He can’t believe she’d humiliate him in front of his son and strangers. What bothers him more is the implication she knows all about his little secret affairs. Finally he looks at Kyle and asks, “Are you ready to go?”

“Give me one second,” Kyle replies. He goes to the telephone and contacts Mr Warden at the funeral home. He advises the man they’re leaving for the morgue while he makes sure of the directions. When he finishes Kyle walks to his bedroom and returns with the Colt forty-five plus two spare magazines. He hands them to Larry while saying, “I don’t expect you’ll need these, but I’d rather be safe than sorry.”

“Don’t worry, Kyle, we’ll take care of the place.”

“Thanks.” Kyle follows Robert out to his rental car. They drive to the morgue with no talking between them, except for the travel directions.

Mr Warden is sitting in the waiting room when they arrive. Kyle finds him to be a pleasant little man with a manner that quickly puts you at ease. He has a unique blend of being all business, yet appearing to be laid back with no worries. After the introductions are made he guides them through the process of getting Jonas’ body released.

With that done Matthew Warden speaks some words of comfort and condolence to them. Kyle notes though Mr Warden is in this business his expressions of encouragement and compassion seem more personal than professional. He later learns Mr Warden and Jonas had known each other for more than twenty-years. While Mr Warden is talking to Kyle and Robert two of his staff move Jonas’ body to the hearse. When they’re finished Robert and Kyle follow them to the Funeral Home. Neither says a word to each other the entire time of the trip, but Kyle does notice Robert is deep in thought.

When they arrive the employees carry the body into the work area in the back while Mr Warden leads Kyle and Robert to the showroom where he shows them the bronze colored casket Jonas had picked out, along with some other items. Neither Kyle nor Robert have any suggestions. Due to the nature of Jonas’ death they agree to a closed casket funeral. The discussion concerning the funeral itself causes a minor conflict because Robert wants to maximize the fact Jonas was an Army veteran and won the Silver Star for some action in Vietnam. Kyle, instead, wants to put most of the emphasis on Jonas as a teacher and expander of minds.

Ultimately they compromise with an honor guard and someone from the ROTC Department reading the citation that goes with Jonas’ medal. Because this is a link between the military and the university this person will lead the audience into making the transition from Jonas as a veteran to Jonas as a professor. He’ll open the door for testimonials from students and faculty regarding Jonas the teacher. Kyle suggests Barbara’s husband, Captain Marc Haywood, to handle this task. After learning Marc’s position Robert agrees. Having met Captain Haywood, Kyle is sure he can help the audience understand that, in either role, Jonas was always a hero. As this is discussed Kyle is saddened, since he can’t reveal to these people just how great a hero his grandfather was.

Jonas had already given Mr Warden a list of the pallbearers he wants, though Kyle immediately recognizes one problem. One of the men listed is the recently deceased Gerald Jones. Kyle starts to propose Ryan fill the spot, but instead he suggests Gerald’s nephew Sid be selected. Robert objects, feeling it should be a family member, but he gives in pretty quickly when Kyle points out Jonas had excluded all family, including Kyle, on the original list.

Finally, they review the planned activities at the grave-site where Jonas is to be buried next to his wife. The actual ceremony will include the folding of the flag that draped the coffin, the traditional three volley salute and a piper playing Amazing Grace as the casket is being lowered. While the people are leaving a bugler will play Taps as an ending.

By the time they finish the plans Kyle has a strong peace in his heart about the entire program. Also, he learns their cordial working together on this has affected Robert because he suggests a tour of campus followed by lunch where Kyle works. This is the first time the man has expressed any interest in Kyle’s current life.


Kathleen stays in the Mazda and Charlotte enters the front lobby of the luxury hotel. A short time later she returns with two young women. The older one is tall and slender with short sandy blond hair streaked with strands of a lighter blond. It’s cut in a layered style that comes to just above her shoulder and flips to the side over her left eye. This causes it to frame her round face and emphasize her ice blue eyes. She’s wearing designer jeans, a dark blue silk blouse, plus some beige and white athletic shoes with a gold DG sewn in the side. Kathleen later learns these are two hundred dollar tennis shoes.

The younger girl has a more oval face and darker skin. Her copper-colored curly hair comes to barely below her ear. Her hair and make-up accent her vibrant green eyes. She’s shorter and a little heavier than her sister, but she’s still reasonably thin. She’s wearing a green blouse, a black leather vest, a short skirt that matches the vest, and casual deck shoes.

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close