Shiloh
Chapter 11: Surprises

Copyright© 2005 Ernest Bywater & R. Michael Lowe aka The Scot

At his mother’s shocking revelation Kyle’s mind screams, Jonas was my father! Though his mind is going like crazy Kyle and his sisters are speechless. Kathleen and Beverly listen without judgment.

Finally, Kyle asks, “Mom, what happened?”

Charlotte replies, “Remember, I asked that no one press me on the details. If I ever tell this story it’ll be in front of Robert, not behind his back like a common gossip. If you love me, please honor my request.”

Felicia pulls her Mom close and comforts her. As Charlotte begins to relax Courtney asks, “Mom, what about Felicia and me?”

“Honey, both of you are Robert’s children. Of that there’s no doubt.”

“Damn!” responds Felicia. “For a few moments there I had hope.”

“Felicia! Robert is Jonas and Wanda’s son. They were two of the finest people to ever walk on this Earth. Robert’s problem isn’t genetic, nor do I think it was caused by the way he was raised. Somewhere, at some time, someone or something caused Robert to reject all his parents believed in. From that rejection he pushed hard to be just the opposite by becoming a selfish, self-centered, status hungry, ostentatious snob.”

Courtney giggles and says, “Mom! Did you have to be so restrained in your description? Surely your emotions are more intense than that?”

“Well, I guess I could have added Asshole!”

Felicia and Courtney break up in loud laughter and Kathleen pulls Charlotte into a reassuring hug. When things calm down Kathleen asks, “So, where do we go from here? Other than Robert, can anyone in the family be hurt in any way by this revelation?”

Charlotte lovingly pats Kathleen’s arm and thinks over the various possibilities for a moment. Finally she says, “Other than Robert’s salary and his personal investments the bulk of our wealth is mine, or, at least, it’s in a trust of which I’m the beneficiary. If Robert divorces me he gets nothing. If he spurns Kyle, Kyle loses little, if anything. If the story is made public it may hurt Robert’s social image, but it’s liable to actually help mine. You girls might get some kidding at school, but beyond that I don’t see us really being hurt.”

A very puzzled Kyle asks, “Then why would Lucille make such a big deal of it, and why would it affect Jonas to the point of suicide?”

“Son,” Charlotte answers, “I doubt if either Lucille, Jonas, or the guy who delivered the threat actually understands our situation. I don’t go around broadcasting it, and I’m sure it’s not something Robert would want to become common knowledge. It would damage his image of being a powerful executive who clawed his way to the top.”

Kyle looks at his Mom and asks, “So we just ignore it and wait for it to either explode or go away?”

“No. After the funeral I’ll have a quiet conversation with Robert and tell him the facts of life. He may still overreact, but it won’t be in front of others, nor will he be goaded on by that Bitch Aunt of his.” Charlotte pauses while her face suddenly becomes much more serious as she quietly says, “Kyle, I have to be honest. I’m far more concerned by Jonas’ remarks about disappearing. It sounds like he feared far more than just his fatherhood being revealed. Knowing Jonas, this makes me very frightened.”

Kyle pulls his fiancée close to him, “I hadn’t thought about it like that, but maybe I should start to find ways to protect KK and myself.”

His mother nods, “Son, if you need my help, it’s yours.”

“Thanks, Mom.” Glancing at his watch Kyle adds, “Right now KK and I have an appointment and I need to drop this weekend’s deposit slips and some change by CyberFun.”

Leaving the rest puzzled by this sudden announcement Kyle and KK run to his Jeep, get in it, and head for CyberFun. At 14:10 the couple pulls up at the front door of their business. While Kyle waits in the Jeep Kathleen grabs the deposit bags with the change and runs inside. Less than seven minutes later she returns to the Jeep and they head for the Japanese Gardens.

Two minutes prior to the appointed time the young couple pull into the parking lot of the restaurant. They enter the building and look around, but they don’t find Dr Narduchi. Kyle suggests they get a table easy to see from the front door and to wait for her to arrive. Kathleen agrees, so he explains the situation to the hostess who then leads them to a table that satisfies their requirements.

When the waitress arrives Kyle says, “Would you please just bring us a couple of Cokes. We’ll order when the third member of our group arrives.” The waitress nods her understanding, and a short time later she returns with their drinks. While they patiently wait for Dr Narduchi the couple talk about the wedding plans, the turn of events regarding Jonas’ note, and the beautiful decor of the restaurant.

After about twenty minutes Kyle is beginning to worry he might have misunderstood Dr Narduchi’s instructions. While he looks around to make sure they’ve not missed each other an elderly Asian gentleman approaches them carrying menus.

When he attempts to hand Kyle one of the menus Kyle says, “I’m sorry. We’re waiting for a third member of our party. We’ll decide what to order when she arrives.”

Ignoring Kyle’s response the man sets the menus on the table beside the couple. He bows as he softly says, “Please, Kyle, wait until I leave the table, but it’s important you look at the menus. You should look first and then your fiancée.” Kyle is stunned the man knows his name as well as the fact KK’s his fiancée. As a result he doesn’t fully grasp the situation until the older man disappears into the rear of the restaurant.

He looks at Kathleen’s face, and sees the same confused look as he probably has on his own. He picks up the menu and inside is a note:

Kyle,

You’re being followed. Kathleen’s menu has my handicap tag that hangs from the mirror. Wait a few minutes then head for Sunland Park Mall. Go to the upper level and use the tag to get a parking place as close to the Food Court entrance as possible. Go to the Diamond Emporium, but exit immediately through the door closest to J C Penny’s. Go into JCP and down to the lower level. Exit JCP out of the side entrance. I’ll be waiting for you.

PN

When he finishes reading the note Kyle palms it. He looks up at his sweetheart and very softly says, “KK, there’s one of those handicapped hanger tags inside your menu. Slide it out into your lap and carefully hide it in your purse.”

A concerned and confused Kathleen asks, “What’s going on, Kyle?”

Kyle reaches out to take her hands as if talking about something romantic, “My menu had a note that appears to be by Doctor Narduchi. She says we are being followed and has given me some instructions for ditching our shadow. We’re to meet her at Sunland Park Mall.”

Kathleen just nods and follows his earlier instructions to let the tag fall into her lap. She starts to place it in her purse, realizes doing so might call attention to it. Thus, while still holding the menu up in front of her she unbuttons one of the lower buttons of her blouse and slides the tag inside. She re-buttons her shirt, “We can leave when you’re ready.”

Kyle calls the waitress over to get the bill, but the girl says there’s no charge. He leaves a couple of dollars as a tip and the couple hold hands while they walk to his Jeep.

By all outward appearances they’re completely oblivious to their surroundings, but both soon spot the gray Pontiac Grand Prix parked in the rear. They also note the car contains only the driver.

Kyle exits the parking lot and turns left, heading back toward the campus. After going a few hundred yards he turns right onto Executive Center Boulevard. When he reaches the Interstate he turns north. At Sunland Park Drive he exits to the right and turns into the shopping center. Following the note’s instructions Kyle heads to the entrance closest to the Food Court. He finds a handicapped parking spot just a few feet from the door and parks. In the meantime Kathleen removes the handicapped tag from inside her shirt and hangs it from the mirror. They quickly exit the vehicle and head inside.

While holding hands the two walk quickly, but are careful not to attract attention. Following their instructions they go through the Food Court. On the way to the jewelers Kyle’s eyes are drawn to a shop featuring paraphernalia relating to the various college and professional sport teams of Texas. Deviating slightly from the plan Kyle leads Kathleen to make a quick detour into the store.

At Kyle’s direction they purchase two blue and orange university jerseys with matching baseball caps and sunglasses. Then they each use one of the dressing rooms to change into the new jerseys and put their old tops in a shopping bag. Kathleen also shoves most of her hair under her cap. After donning their new sunglasses they continue their journey.

Trying to look like just friends Kyle and Kathleen no longer hold hands. When Kyle casually catches their reflection in one of the store windows he realizes how much their appearance has changed. With this information he decides to bypass the jewelry store and he enters J C Penny’s, going directly to the designated exit in the lower level.

This particular exit is primarily designed to enable customers to pick up larger items. Thus it has a covered drive-through area that’s heavily shaded. Kyle doesn’t spot Dr Narduchi in the shadows so he removes his hat and sunglasses to get a better look.

Hesitantly a black Suburban with dark tinted windows pulls away from the curb and moves toward them. When the SUV pulls alongside the couple the passenger window lowers and Dr Narduchi urgently says, “Quick, jump into the back!”

Kyle and Kathleen follow her instructions then the vehicle exits the area while heading to the Interstate. When he looks at the driver Kyle realizes the elderly Asian gentleman from the restaurant is driving. The thing is he now looks at least thirty years younger. Dr Narduchi is sitting in the front passenger seat wearing jeans, a casual blouse, and boots. Her hair is no longer in its normal tight bun and is now in a ponytail. In addition, her hair looks less gray and has more of a frosted appearance. Her facial features seem softer, giving her the appearance of being ten to fifteen years younger than she normally looks on campus.

“Kyle,” says Dr Narduchi, “I like your inventiveness in changing your appearance, but you should have still followed my instructions regarding the jewelry store.”

“I’m sorry,” he replies. “I thought we’d look strange going in there in these outfits. I didn’t want to arouse the attention of the mall’s security.”

“Good thinking. However, in this case we had someone waiting in the jewelry store who would’ve alerted us if your tail was still there. In the future I guess I should be more specific when something like that’s been arranged. I’m just not used to working with someone so young and untrained, yet who has such a good instinct for trade-craft.”

An inquisitive Kathleen asks, “What’s trade-craft?”

The older woman smiles, “Kathleen, it’s the basic tricks and tools of covert or spy-type operations.”

Trying not to let Kathleen go off on some tangent Kyle says, “If it’s OK to ask, Doctor Narduchi? What’s going on?”

“Kyle, when we’re away from school like this please call me Paula. That includes you too, KK.”

A surprised Kathleen exclaims, “You know Kyle’s nickname for me?”

“My dear Kathleen, I know an immense amount about both of you. You see, while Jonas and I were never intimate we were very close friends. Our friendship goes all the way back to Vietnam where a patrol he led stumbled upon a group of NVA. They’d ambushed my vehicle and were cutting those of us trapped inside to ribbons.”

Kyle asks, “You were in Vietnam?”

“My husband was the US Agricultural and Mining Attaché to the Vietnamese government. He really did a good job in that area, but his primary role was cover for me as I worked with the CIA. My specialty was picking the brains of the wives and mistresses of high ranking governmental leaders and senior RVN Army officers. Li Quan, our driver, is the son of my driver from that time. I rescued his entire family when Saigon fell. It was Li who spotted your shadow at the restaurant.”

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close