Shiloh
Chapter 13: Packing to go

Copyright© 2005 Ernest Bywater & R. Michael Lowe aka The Scot

A short time later Ryan returns with his car and the groceries. His mother has already arrived with the stain-fighting laundry products. She looks around the house for a few minutes before returning to her home. Kyle and Ryan bring the bags from Ryan’s Blazer into the kitchen while KK begins to clean the old flag.

Since the primary reason for the display of Jonas’ Civil War weapons is to hide the portal frame Kyle reminds his bride-to-be her brother doesn’t know about it or about the other worlds. Still a bit skeptical, KK tries hard to push the doubts into the back of her mind. Kathleen distracts Ryan with the fresh brownies to help Kyle with his work.

While the two siblings are in the kitchen Kyle removes the portal from the slide out frame and places it under one of the workbenches. With the portal now removed he nails shut the small door flap that previously hid the portal’s sliding frame. Kyle just finishes when Ryan and Kathleen join him in the workshop.

“What should we do first?” asks Ryan.

Kyle answers, “Let’s start by moving some of these tools we won’t be needing for our current project to the garage. Thus we’ll get them ready to be moved out of the house and it’ll give us more room in here to do the work.”

Kathleen nods her agreement and Ryan says, “Makes sense to me.”

It takes the three of them the better part of an hour, but when they’re finished there’s a surprisingly large area of various tools now sitting in the back of the garage. Also, there are boxes of various hardware items Kyle has chosen not to sort through at the moment. On one of their return trips they move the smuggled sheets of plywood and glass from the garage into the workroom. When the tool movement is completed Kathleen says, “Why don’t we stop in the kitchen for a few minutes? We can catch our breath while we eat a brownie or two.”

Ryan responds, “Sounds good to me.”

Kyle grins when he adds, “I’ll listen to any idea which includes some of KK’s brownies!”

As they enjoy the break Ryan asks, “Now what’s so secretive about this project we have to rush to get it done in the middle of the night.”

Kyle pauses before replying. Before he can speak KK asks, “Brain, do you understand what it means to hide something in plain sight?”

“You mean placing something valuable in such a way even though anyone can see it they’d never consider it worth much?”

“You got it. There are some things Jonas had here that are worth a lot of money. If Kyle made a big deal about having the items someone like his aunt might get suspicious and try to cause problems. This way we’ll make something that looks like Kyle would have helped Jonas build and Kyle can explain he wants it for sentimental reasons.”

“Ah, that makes sense. I know Jonas once told me the Union flag behind his desk was priceless.”

Kyle adds, “Because of its heritage, it is. That flag flew outside of Grant’s headquarters much of the war, even when the headquarters was nothing more than a tent. I’ve the documented proof and there’s not another flag in the entire world that can make that claim.”

Wow! After seeing the prices of some of the stuff auctioned on the Internet I can imagine what you could get for something like that.”

Kyle responds, “Ryan, Jonas turned down a hundred grand from Grant’s Presidential Library. I can’t imagine what some rich collector might be willing to pay.”

“Then I definitely think all we’re doing is worth it! Besides, I’m very sure Jonas wanted you to have it, anyway.”

“He did, and not so it can be sold in order to make me wealthy. I want to preserve it as part of who he was. Now we need to get busy. If you and KK will go get the wood out of my bedroom I’ll finish clearing off the workbench to give us a good place to work.”

Ryan stands, takes his sister’s hand, and says, “Come, my dear sister. Our Lord and Master has decreed a glorious task for us to perform.” All three laugh while they head to the interior of the house. Kyle goes to the workroom and starts cleaning off the workbench where they’ll build the display case. Before Kyle can finish Kathleen and Ryan return to the workroom carrying the pieces of wood stored in Kyle’s bedroom a little while ago. When the workbench is clear Kyle and Ryan retrieve the portal frame from where Kyle placed it earlier.

“What’s this?” Ryan asks.

“It’s something Jonas had lying around. Since it’s already squared up I thought we can use it for the core part of the frame. It should fit just about right, and it will sure speed things up a bit.”

“Sounds good to me. What’s our first step?”

Kyle asks, “KK, how’s the flag coming?”

“It’s in the dryer on the gentle setting. Unfortunately, some of the blood stains didn’t come out, no matter what I tried.”

“Is this the Grant flag, and what blood?” asks Ryan.

“Yes, it was the flag from the wall beside Jonas’ desk. It had some of his blood and stuff splattered on it.”

Ryan turns a bit green when he thinks about what Kyle means by stuff. He says, “Yuck! I wish I hadn’t asked.”

“I know,” Kyle replies, “but I thought we can use it for this montage of Jonas’ Civil War souvenirs, along with a Confederate Stars and Bars battle flag. Everyone’s eyes will be drawn to the weapons and other items, so they’ll never see the flags as anything more than a backdrop.”

“I follow what you’re trying to accomplish, and it sounds just like something Jonas would do. With this setting I don’t think some dried blood will make any difference. In fact, it makes that old flag more like it had been in a battle. What about the extra material, though? You’re not planning on cutting the flags, are you?”

Somewhat ashamed he hadn’t thought of this Kyle replies, “I really hadn’t given it any thought, but you’re right, we can’t damage these flags. They’re a part of history.”

While listening to the others discuss the problem Kathleen looks at the frame, and suddenly has an idea. “Hey, gang. What if we just make an outer frame and tuck the unused part of the flag into the gap?”

Kyle replies, “I’m not sure I follow. Will you draw us a picture?”

“Sure.” Both young men are a bit spellbound while they watch her lay out the perfect solution. Kyle is especially pleased because her idea will completely hide the portal, yet make it extremely easy to remove.

Ryan is the first to speak by saying, “I think it’ll work.”

Kyle adds, “I’ll go a little stronger than that. I think it’s brilliant.”

Pleased with their responses Kathleen turns to her brother, “Ryan, except for a few areas I think this is something Kyle and I can do. I know he has something else that needs to be done. Why don’t you work on that while I help him with this?”

“Sure, Sis. Kyle, what do you want done?”

Kyle explains his idea for moving the cameras and retrieving the images made in the future. Ryan listens, and nods his understanding while his best friend explains his idea. When Kyle finishes Ryan looks at his watch while saying, “It’s only nine fifteen. Let me make a phone call.”

When he returns Kyle and Kathleen are very busy measuring and marking the pieces of wood they need to cut.

“I just talked to Mister Saunders, next door. He’s been wanting me to set him up a computer and connect it to the Internet. I just gave him a price he couldn’t resist.”

Puzzled, Kyle asks, “But what does that have to do with this?”

“I’m going to set him up with a wireless router. We’ll set up a laptop that can receive the feed from all the cameras and upload the images to the Internet in real-time by using his wireless connection. This way we can avoid having to sneak back here to retrieve them.”

“Why buy a laptop?” Kyle asks. “Why not use the server we’ve got?”

“First, it’s big enough to be easily found, and second, it’s noisy and susceptible to power flickers or outages. I can set the laptop up in the crawlspace or the attic while tapping into the house current and the feeds from the camera. It won’t be easily found, and with a second battery it can last for hours if the power goes off, yet it’ll recharge itself as soon as the power comes back on.”

Kyle thinks for a moment, “Do it. Where will you get the laptop?”

“Would you believe I purchased a new one at Fry’s while I was in Phoenix. I’ll use it and get another one when I get back to ASU in a couple of weeks. I’ll move the cameras that require it, though I think we can eliminate more than half of what we currently have.”

“What about the cabling and patching the holes?”

“For most of the ones I’ll be removing I was only using Cat-five cable. I can tape and tie off the power feeds then just leave all of it inside the wall. From there I won’t have a lot to patch. The original paint used on the walls is still in the garage, so we can probably cover the patches without repainting the entire room. I should be able to finish everything except touching up the paint before midnight.”

Kathleen interjects, “Ryan, we can handle the paint in the morning.”

A pleased Kyle replies, “Then have at it. KK and I should also have everything except the staining and cutting the glass finished by the time you’re finished with the cameras.”

Ryan nods his acknowledgment while he looks at what his sister has laid out for the display case. He softly asks, “Buddy, are you open to a suggestion?”

Kyle replies, “Sure. You’ve been batting a thousand so far tonight.”

“Don’t stain it or use the glass. Instead, drape some of the excess flag over the wood and leave the glass off. It’ll only reduce the effect. What are you going to use to fasten the items to the plywood backing?”

“I hadn’t thought about it, but I guess some wire.”

“I’d use mono-filament fishing line. It can be pulled through the flag with a needle and it’ll not only keep from damaging the flag, but it’ll be difficult to spot. My rod’s in the back of the Blazer and it has some special line that’s thin and extra tough. You might need to use four or five pieces on that old Sharps Carbine, but the rest of the stuff can be fastened with just a couple of pieces.”

Kathleen says, “I think it’s a good idea, though we’ll probably need your help when we get to that point. I heard you tell Bobby McIntyre the line was a real bitch to tie.”

“You’ve got that right, but it’s stronger, for the size, than anything I’ve ever used before. KK, how about walking out to the Blazer and helping me bring my stuff inside.”

“Sure,” she replies.

While Kathleen and Ryan go out to his SUV to get his laptop, fishing rod, and other needed supplies Kyle starts making the initial cuts he wants. He’s deeply into it when his friends return.

“What do you need me to do?” asks Kathleen.

“Let me finish this and we can cut the plywood backing. As soon as it’s cut I want you to lay out where you think the different pieces are to be placed. Once we’re satisfied I’ll drill the holes for the fishing line.”

“OK. I’ll play with some drawings while you get that done.”

Kyle finishes cutting the pieces of wood that’ll surround the portal then he uses a router to cut grooves the back will slide into. Finally he uses a miter saw to make the forty-five degree cuts to allow the pieces to be squared up. After checking the square he has Kathleen hold the pieces firmly in place while he uses carpenter’s glue and some brads from the compressed air nail gun to put the sections together, with the exception of one long piece which is to be connected with small screws once the back is in place. This will enable the display to be removed from the frame, if the need ever arises.

While they’re doing this Kathleen says, “Kyle, this piece doesn’t seem to fit as snug as the others.”

Looking at where she’s indicating he replies, “You’re right. It looks like the saw slipped a bit when I was making the cut.”

Kyle quickly cuts another piece and soon everything is square, just as it should be. With the outer frame now complete he marks off the plywood and cuts it to fit the frame. Before he turns it over to Kathleen he checks the fit. It slides smoothly into place.

“Here you go, Sweetheart. It’s now ready for your magic.”

With Kyle’s help Kathleen moves the plywood piece into the study and places it on top of the desk. Following her rough sketch she starts placing the various Civil War items on the board. Kyle, not having anything to do at the moment, walks over to Jonas’ desk and watches her work. There’s a Sharps Carbine across the top while a Springfield with bayonet face the opposite direction at the bottom. In the middle are two crossed swords, one with USA on the scabbard while the other has CSA in almost the same spot. On each side of the swords Kathleen places antique cap and ball pistols: a Remington .44 on the Union side and a copy of Navy Colt .36 made in 1860 by Griswold & Gunnison in Macon, Georgia on the Confederate side. Beside each pistol she places its holster, an ammunition pouch, a cap pouch, and a powder flask. All of these items are attached to a gun belt displaying the unit buckle.

While she lays out the paraphernalia Kathleen explains, “I think we can overlap the flags at the diagonal and place all of the Confederate items on top of the Confederate flag with the others on top of the Union flag.”

Kyle reviews what she’s set up and pictures the final product in his mind. Pleased, he answers, “It looks good. Let’s do it.”

Before they go any further Kyle retrieves his digital camera and laptop from his room. After taking several shots he downloads them to the computer to display the pictures, and the couple choose the one that seems to give them the best perspective. This will provide him a frame of reference while they fasten each item to the sheet of plywood.

Kathleen takes a small, fine pointed marking pen and they decide on where to make each point of attachment will be drilled then mark it. Once that’s done they remove the items from the sheet of plywood and carry them carefully into the workroom. After reviewing everything one last time Kyle uses his portable drill and small bit to place a hole at each point marked. He also drills holes where the line will be threaded to hold the flags in place.

As he finishes Kyle loudly says, “Ryan, we’re ready for your help.”

Ryan returns to where Kyle and Kathleen are working. He reviews the picture and the holes while Kathleen looks though a sewing tin in Kyle’s bedroom for a needle large enough to handle the fishing line.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close