Shiloh - Cover

Shiloh

Copyright© 2005 Ernest Bywater & R. Michael Lowe aka The Scot

Chapter 14: Doing Business

Kyle carefully looks over the list he and Kathleen prepared of the items they want to take with them if they sell the house to his aunt. Suddenly a funny grin comes over his face and he adds some more items to the list. Curious, his bride-to-be peers over his shoulder to see what he’s done. Puzzled by what she sees Kathleen asks, “Why do you want the door to the guest room closet, or the full length mirror from Jonas’ bedroom?”

Kyle chuckles as he answers, “I want to give her some arguing points she can win, as well as planting some false clues. I think it’ll be hilarious to watch them tear that closet door apart trying to find a hidden portal. As for the mirror, it’s the only other thing in the house I can think of that might hide a portal, yet won’t be accidentally activated by someone wearing a sapphire ring.”

Kathleen replies, “I follow what you’re doing, and if you give vague enough reasons they won’t know for sure if you know what’s going on, or where the portal is located. As for watching, are you thinking about having Ryan set up another camera in there?”

“I think another camera in there would be a good idea, but for more than just entertainment. In fact, I think we should also add sound to a few of the areas being viewed by cameras”

“So you think we might pick up more information from listening, rather than just observing what they’ve found?”

“Definitely, especially when they don’t find what they’re expecting. In their anger and frustration they might reveal information we’d never get otherwise. As for keeping them guessing as to what I know, or don’t know, I think your idea is a good one, but only to a point. If whoever is involved in this does have access to people on Crossroads they’re likely able to find I’ve been there as a Companion. Of course, Companions are of such low status it is likely nobody except MariLynn will know my real identity, or if Jonas even had a Companion.”

“That makes sense. So what’s next on our agenda?”

“I guess I’ll take a shower and change out of these work clothes. We don’t need to advertise we’ve been working on things in the house, especially not today.”

“I’ll get my clothes out of Jonas’ Buick and do the same. I’ll see you in a few minutes.”

Kyle heads for his bedroom and starts the water in his shower. Before he enters the shower Kathleen comes into the bedroom with her clothes. They hug for a long moment then while Kyle showers and brushes his teeth Kathleen changes into a white peasant blouse with yellow, red, and green embroidery around the neckline and sleeves. Below this are a pair of tan khaki slacks, and it’s all accented by a buckskin vest with red, turquoise, and gold trim.

Kyle tries to hurry through everything, but by the time he finishes and returns to his bedroom it’s empty. After dressing he starts to call Kathleen to see where she was, but stops when he hears voices coming from the main part of the house. Walking toward the sounds he enters the living room, and finds his parents as well as his sisters.

“Good morning all. You’re up early this morning.”

Robert replies, “Charlotte and the girls want to work with Kathleen some more concerning the wedding while I want to discuss some more business ideas, like we did yesterday. I think we’ve got plenty of time for all of this before we need to go to the funeral home.”

“Robert, I don’t have a problem with that, but why are we doing the funeral home bit when we’re not allowing the casket to be opened? I’m sure it was discussed earlier, but it just went over my head.”

Flustered because he really doesn’t have a good answer Robert sharply responds, “Because it’s traditional.”

Becoming irritated himself Kyle responds, “And if we’re in Ireland I guess we’d be having a wake and getting falling down drunk. As for the funeral home, who’s going to know to be there?”

“Kyle, it was included in the obituary yesterday. It said the family would be greeting well-wishers this afternoon between three and six.” Then in a moment of humility Robert adds, “Honestly, Son, I assumed you had them put it in there.”

“No, but if it’s been published, then I guess we better show up. I also apologize for the way I initially responded. I also made an assumption and I thought you made your own arbitrary decision on this. Will you forgive me?”

Surprised at his son’s response Robert quickly replies, “Sure, Son. Especially since it sounds like something I’d do.”

Charlotte watches with trepidation while the confrontation between her husband and her son develops. She’s afraid all the gains won over the past two days will dissolve right in front of her, and she knows if it does the two might never be reconciled.

Thus, when the argument fizzles out she breathes a sigh of relief and announces, “OK, girls. We’re already late, so let’s hurry to Kathleen’s house. The wedding planner is supposed to be showing us suggested locations for the ceremony as well as the reception.”

After the girls leave Kyle pours himself another coffee and asks, “Would you like a cup, Robert?”

“Yes, Son, I would.”

“How do you like it?”

Robert is trying to be patient since he understands this formality is a prelude to restoring the relationship between the two. This type of casual conversation as a prelude to serious business discussions goes against his very nature, but he finds it’s very common in other cultures. Therefore, over time, he’s finally gotten used to the idea and he can discuss the weather, family, politics, or the breasts of the redhead down the hall without passing on to others his feelings of impatience. It isn’t that he’s not impatient and frustrated by the whole concept, it’s only he’s learned to hide it from those he’s meeting with.

Still uncertain how to proceed Robert replies “I guess I’ll have it the same as yours.”

Moments later Kyle sits down at the table as he slides a cup of coffee in front of the man he had grown up believing to be his father. “Here you go, Robert. I hope it’s not too different for you.”

Robert looks at the cup and can tell, by looking, this is very different from what he normally drinks. “It sure smells different. What is it?”

“A cinnamon-cherry latté. I use freshly ground beans from Hawaii to make a very strong, thick coffee. Instead of water for the bulk of the liquid I use a heavy cream. To that I add a small amount of Crème de Cerise and top it off with some freshly ground cinnamon.”

“It seems like a lot of work for a cup of coffee, and what is that Cream de something?”

“Crème de Cerise is a black cherry liqueur. It’s seldom used in this country, but has been around France for hundreds of years. As for the preparation, you’re right, it does take a few minutes, especially at home. That’s why I usually only have a cup at breakfast, or when I want to relax to enjoy it and the people I’m with.”

Robert is pleased his son wants to share this and responds, “Then, based upon that information, I’ll be delighted to share a cup.”

Raising the cup to his lips Robert breaths in the varied aromas that arise from the strange coffee, and he’s surprised to discover they’re quite pleasing. Finally, with a lot of uncertainty and apprehension, he takes his first taste. Shocked is the best word to describe Robert’s immediate reaction. He can’t fathom how a simple sip can explode into such a rich melody of flavors, each in perfect harmony with the others. If this was a song he’d compare it to listening to the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.

“Outstanding!” Robert proclaims while he looks up at his son.

If the coffee had been a surprise, the look on his son’s face is beyond his comprehension. Kyle is smiling, which for him isn’t that unusual, but his face also displays a look of anticipation and hunger. After his second sip Robert realizes Kyle desperately wants his approval, in spite of his rebellious nature.

“Son, I can now understand why you would want something like this when you need to relax. It’s better than a cold mug of beer.”

A very pleased Kyle responds, “I’m not sure I’d go that far, though I guess it could depend on the beer you’re drinking.”

Robert laughs, “If you can teach an old dog like me about coffee, maybe you and I need to do some taste testing of various beers. I do know I’d like you to teach Charlotte and my secretary to make this.”

“I think that can be arranged. Now what are some of the problem projects you want to discuss?”

Thus the two of them launch into some long discussions regarding various problems Robert has either recently resolved, or is currently facing. With Robert taking notes as the two enjoy another cup or two of Kyle’s special coffee the conversation lasts for more than two hours. It wouldn’t have stopped, even then, except Kyle’s phone starts ringing That Girl, which announces the call is from Kathleen.

“Yes, KK.” Kyle answers.

“Can we talk for a few minutes?”

“Sure. Over the phone or do you need me to come there?”

“Are you familiar with Saint Francis on the Hill?”

“On Escondido?”

“That’s the one. It’s where we’ve tentatively decided to hold the actual wedding ceremony.”

“And you want my approval?”

“There is that, but something else has come up which requires an urgent discussion.”

“OK. I’ll meet you there in ten to fifteen minutes.”

Kyle terminates the call, looks at Robert and asks, “Will you be all right for a bit? KK wants my approval on the church, so I need to run and meet her there.”

“Sure, Son. I’ve a bunch of calls I need to return, anyway. Besides, I didn’t think you want to leave the house unguarded.”

“Thanks. The security guard from yesterday will be here at thirteen hundred, so if you need to go get a bite to eat after he arrives that won’t be a problem. Besides, I doubt this will take that long, unless they’ve multiple places to show me.”

Both men stand and stare at each other for a moment before Kyle turns and heads for his jeep. Before Kyle is out of the driveway Robert is discussing the current crises with his secretary.

A few minutes later Kyle turns into the church parking lot and parks next to Kathleen’s Miata. His mother and sisters are sitting in a Lincoln MKX parked beside it.

After walking to the Miata Kyle gives Kathleen a kiss and remarks, “I didn’t know they were going to be here.”

“Is that a problem?”

“Only in I hoped to have a few minutes alone with you.”

KK smiles, “Sweetheart, it won’t be long before we’ll have plenty of time to be together, but we need to make some decisions regarding the wedding, as well as discuss a phone call I received about ten minutes before I called you.”

“Which do you want to do first?”

“Because of the urgency of this you need to call Stanley Patterson to get the facts straight from him. When you finish we can talk.”

“I can’t imagine it would have to do with Jonas, because he’d have called me first. Other than that I can’t fathom what it could be.”

Frustrated at his not calling immediately Kathleen exclaims, “Kyle, stop speculating and call! You’re not going to guess it, anyway.”

Looking like a chastened child who’s had his fun spoiled Kyle pulls his phone from his belt and dials the attorney’s office.

“Patterson, Henry, and McLain. Can I help you?”

“Stanley Patterson, please.”

“Who should I say is calling?”

“Kyle Alexander.”

“Oh, Mister Alexander, please accept my condolences regarding your grandfather. I thought a lot of Jonas.”

“Thank you. I, for one, thought he was very special.”

“He was. Kyle, please hold a moment while I get Mister Patterson.”

A moment later Stanley Patterson says, “Good morning, Kyle. I assume you’ve talked to Kathleen.”

“Only that there’s something urgent to be discussed. Basically, she said I needed to hear this from you before she and I can discuss it.”

“Well, Kyle, I guess she’s afraid of something getting lost in the process. What has her so riled up is I received a call this morning from John Albright, a well-known business broker here in El Paso. He has a buyer interested in CyberFun.”

“Mister Patterson, I’m sure she told you we weren’t interested.”

“She did, until I said the offer is for eighteen million dollars.” A very pale Kyle slides down the side of Kathleen’s Miata before he ends up sitting on the ground with his back to the car’s door. Unfortunately, in this position Kyle has effectively trapped a concerned Kathleen inside her own car. Thinking quickly she throws the car’s convertible top back and climbs out of the car. In spite of her haste she finds Charlotte has already reached her son and is trying to make sure he’s OK.

“Eighteen million?” Kyle asks in a very shaky voice, hoping he’s not misunderstood what the attorney said.

“Kyle, that was his opening offer. I suspect he’s willing to go higher.”

His head begins to clear a bit so Kyle asks, “What are the provisions?”

“They want the name, the non-cash assets, non-compete agreements with the principals for five years, and five year contracts with all the non-owner management people.”

“What about the liabilities?”

“The buyer pays the broker’s fees and the still existing corporation pays off any outstanding debt. He suggests two million be set aside in escrow to cover the debt.”

“Anything else?”

“Yes, and this is the part that makes the least sense. They insist for any deal to take place we need to close this week.”

“Dayum! No wonder KK needed me to come straight over. What about due diligence, review of the books, list of the assets, review of the lease, and stuff like that?”

“Kyle, it’s a straight up and down deal. None of that comes into it.”

A shocked Kyle asks, “Mister Patterson, have you called Ryan?”

“No, just Kathleen.”

“Kyle,” Kathleen interjects, “I called him and informed him of the offer. His response is it’s our decision and money. He said he signed over his portion of the LLP to us before the offer was made, and thus it’s our decision and our money.”

“Was he upset at not being included in the potential profits?”

“Nope. Just pleased for us.”

Speaking back to Mr Patterson, Kyle says, “Thanks for your patience. Kathleen was bringing me up to date on her conversation with Ryan.”

“That’s not a problem. Now what do you want me to do?”

“Let us discuss the offer for a few minutes and we’ll call you back.”

“That’s not a problem, and Kyle...”

“Yes, Sir?”

“As I asked earlier, would you and Kathleen please consider calling me Stanley? You’re at a level with Jonas now and I’d prefer it.”

“Sure, Stanley, we can do that. We’ll call you back, shortly.”

While Kyle folds the phone back into the off position and places it on his belt his mother asks, “Kyle, are you OK? You looked like you were in total shock, has someone else died?”

“Mom,” a still shaken Kyle answers, “someone has offered us a large amount of money for CyberFun, but they insist on closing this week.”

A puzzled Charlotte asks, “What do you mean offered you a lot of money for that company, and how much money are you talking about?”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close