Shiloh
Chapter 15: The Viewing

Copyright© 2005 Ernest Bywater & R. Michael Lowe aka The Scot

After putting his phone away Robert retrieves his laptop from the living room, sets it up on Jonas’ desk, and connects it into the network with a patch cable he carries in the computer’s bag. Once the computer finishes booting up he logs onto the Internet.

While waiting for the system to go on-line Robert glances at his watch and realizes the security guard is due to arrive soon. Since he doesn’t want anyone to accidentally observe what he’s doing he waits for the guard in the living room. A few minutes before one o’clock the front doorbell rings. Robert goes to the door and finds the young security guard whom he’d briefly seen the day before.

“Mister Alexander, I’m Mike Barlow. Kyle told me to return at one today.”

“You know who I am?”

“Yes, Sir. Kyle pointed you out yesterday, and I’ve found it’s always good to remember the face of the man who pays the bills.”

“That makes sense. Have you eaten yet?”

“I’ve had a little something. Why, do you need something?”

“Actually, I’m in the middle of some confidential business calls. If I pay for it, as well as your time, can you go get us something?”

“Sure, I can do that. Anything particular?”

While handing Mike a twenty Robert says, “Well, I’m having to watch my weight and my salt. How about something chicken or turkey on wheat or multi-grain bread? You can get whatever you want, but give me at least forty-five minutes before you return.”

“No problem, Sir. I’ll be back by two.”

As the young man returns to his car to drive away Robert re-locks the front door and returns to his father’s study. For the next forty-eight minutes he logs into various banks around the world to move money back to Offshore Drilling Support. He’s just finishing closing down his laptop when the doorbell begins ringing for a second time.

Robert verifies it’s the young security guard and he unlocks the door. Mike enters the house carrying a plain white sack and a drink in a Styrofoam cup. “I didn’t know what you wanted to drink so I took a chance on iced tea,” explains Mike.

“That’ll do. Unfortunately, I just remembered I’m running late so I’ll take it back to the hotel with me. I do appreciate your getting it for me - and keep the change.”

“Thanks for that, plus the lunch.”

“You’re welcome. Now I need to rush. If Kyle or any of my family asks about me tell them I’ve headed to the hotel to change. I’ll meet them at the funeral home shortly before three.”

“No problem, Sir. I’ll take care of it.”

Robert walks to his rental car and he heads to the hotel.

A few minutes later Kyle’s Jeep, Kathleen’s Miata, and Charlotte’s rental Lincoln pull into the driveway. The girls grab some bags from the trunk of the Lincoln and head into the house. Seeing the group’s arrival from the window Mike meets them at the door and he helps them inside.

Charlotte looks around and asks, “Is my husband here?”

Mike answers, “No, Ma’am. He left just a few minutes ago. He did say to tell you he’s gone back to the hotel to change and he’ll meet you at the funeral home a little before three.”

Charlotte replies, “Well, I brought clothes for him, but if he wants to do it on his own, then let him. OK, girls, let’s go to Jonas’ bedroom to get changed. Kyle, we’ll see you and Kathleen in a few minutes.”

“OK, Mom,” Kyle answers while he takes his fiancée’s hand and they head toward his own bedroom.

Once there the couple spend a few minutes just holding one another and softly kissing various exposed body areas of each other. They both enjoy it immensely and the temperature in the room seems to increase, so does their passion. Finally, Kathleen forces them to separate while saying, “Kyle, Sweetheart, we better return to getting dressed, or we may be in here for several hours.”

“I know you’re right, but it’s hard at the moment.”

Kathleen giggles, “Quitting isn’t the only thing hard at the moment!”

Kyle blushes while he replies, “This is true! This is true!”

“Now, young man! You march yourself into that bathroom and get a quick shower. That’ll give me a little time to get ready, myself.”

“OK, but I won’t take long.”

Kyle grabs the clothes he wants to wear and heads into his attached bath. As soon as he closes the door Kathleen opens a shopping bag she brought in from the car. She quickly slips on the dress, plus with thigh-high stockings, along with shoes from another bag. Finally, she uses the training she was given during the previous day’s shopping trip as she applies just enough makeup to accent her face and the clothes she’s wearing.

True to his promise Kyle finishes so fast she barely has time to take a hard look at herself in the mirror. Even so, she’s a little stunned at the image reflected before her eyes.

When Kyle opens the bathroom door he’s more focused on the closet door than on Kathleen while he says, “I don’t know why you and Mom want me to wear this gray suit, but I need you to help me select a tie to wear with it.”

“I recommend the maroon and black? It’ll provide a good contrast.”

Kyle selects the recommended tie off the rack and turns toward the mirror to tie it in a traditional Windsor knot. When he wraps it around his neck he looks to the mirror, only to be shocked to see the reflection of a vision in a gray business dress standing behind him. He slowly turns to face Kathleen while all thoughts of a tie or a funeral completely vanish from his brain. Kyle says, “Dayum, Woman! You sure do clean-up nice!”

Kathleen giggles briefly at Kyle’s comment and asks, “Is that like saying you don’t sweat much for a fat girl?”

“Not even in the same league. Honey, I’ve always considered you to be cute and pretty, but you’re absolutely gorgeous in that outfit. Yet, gorgeous isn’t sufficient. I have to add radiant or stunning, but they’re all incomplete adjectives without the words sophisticated, feminine, and even sexy.”

“Why, thank you, kind Sir. You sure know how to boost the ego of a tomboy trying to become a woman - your woman. A woman worthy to stand at your side, whether it’s at a funeral procession, a fancy dinner party, or on the battlefield.”

“KK, the best thing I can say, at the moment, is you’ve exceeded all expectations and I’ll be proud to have you by my side, anywhere and anytime.”

“Then, Sweetheart, you better get that tie finished as I want to show the world this version of Kathleen Kennedy soon to be Alexander.”

A little later the young couple join Charlotte and her daughters. Bidding good-bye to the young security guard the five climb into the Lincoln and, with Kyle driving, they head for the funeral home.

At a quarter to three they pull into their assigned parking place. Ever the gentleman Kyle helps Kathleen, his mother, and each of his sisters to exit the car then they walk to the front doors as a group. When they enter the somberly decorated building the first person to greet them is the owner, Matthew Warden.

Holding out his hand in a very friendly manner he says, “Good afternoon, Kyle, ladies. Will you please follow me?”

Mr Warden leads them down the hall and ushers them into a room filled with flowers and a closed bronze casket. There are so many floral arrangements Kyle is sure they can open their own florist shop. While Mr Warden introduces himself to Charlotte, Kathleen, and the two girls Kyle separates from the others and begins to look at the various wreaths and other arrangements, trying to remember who sent what flowers.

A gentle voice comes from behind Kyle says, “Don’t worry about who sent what, Kyle. Part of our service is a photo album showing each arrangement and who it’s from.”

“That’s not a bad idea, though I’ve never heard of anyone doing that before.”

“Nor have I, but one of our staff came up with the idea and we think it’s a great service to our clients.”

“Mister Warden, I wholeheartedly agree! Now is the time I need to be grieving for my loss, allowing others to comfort me, and comforting others as needed. In a few days, when everything calms down, I’d be kicking myself for not having taken those pictures.”

Having caught up with Kyle, Kathleen interjects, “In one way I can’t believe all of the flowers, but, at the same time, I know how much Jonas cared about people. I guess this is just their way of acknowledging his influence in their lives.”

Kyle nods in agreement while he adds, “Yes, and if the truth be known and if everyone he’d helped could have sent flowers we wouldn’t have room for them in this place. In fact, I find it strangely comforting to realize a lot more people than just you and I will miss him. He was a most unusual man and the world has lost one of its greatest heroes.”

Charlotte, who had quietly joined the young couple, asks, “Son, I know Jonas received a medal for bravery in the war, but why would you call him a hero?”

“Mom, heroes come in all shapes, sizes, and occupations. In Jonas’ case he was the biggest hero to his students because he genuinely cared about them - each of them. He was far more than a teacher of history because he sought to open their eyes to see the world, not only how it was and is, but how it can be. He opened their minds to question what is truth and to see history not as just facts and dates, but stories about real people with real fears, pains, and sacrifices. He humanized history, and I believe he made the students more human in the process. That is the hero this world will greatly miss and whose shoes I someday hope to fill.”

A surprised Charlotte responds, “Kyle, I knew Jonas for over twenty-five years, but I just learned far more about him than I had in all those years. I just hope you can pursue your dream and follow in your father’s footsteps.”

When Charlotte utters these words she’s not aware her husband is in the process of joining them. Thankfully the only thing he hears is the part about following in your father’s footsteps.”

Thus everyone is a little shocked when Robert places his right hand on Charlotte’s shoulder, his left on Kyle’s, and says, “Son, I hope you’re listening to your mother. She’s giving you good advice.”

After a moment of panic at what Robert might have heard Charlotte realizes he only picked up the very tail end of their conversation. When the panic subsides she suddenly has to bite her lip to keep from laughing at the irony of what just transpired, since Robert thinks she’s encouraging Kyle to work with him while she’s actually encouraging Kyle to pursue his dream of teaching history at the college level; something Robert thinks to be a complete waste of time.

Fortunately, before the conversation can veer off on a tangent to discuss a subject that’s very inappropriate at the moment Mr Warden reappears. He directs the family to a row of chairs just inside the entrance of the room and says, “It’ll be helpful if you can please sit or stand in this area as much as possible. When you’re ready I’ll open the doors and let those who’ve come to pay their respects enter the room.”

Robert, as Jonas’ son, stands at the head of the group. Charlotte is beside him with Kyle, Kathleen, Felicia, and Courtney standing in a line beside them. At a nod from Robert Mr Warden opens the double doors leading in from the hallway and the five family members are soon overwhelmed at the size of the group waiting to share their grief as well as an occasional anecdotal experience from their interaction with Jonas. Except for a few brief interludes the people just keep coming. When the showing is supposed to end at six there are still more than a hundred people waiting in the hall. Mr Warden approaches the family and asks, “How do you feel we should handle this?”

Robert, moved by all he’s seen and heard that afternoon, replies, “I honestly don’t know. I’d hate to turn away anyone who wants to honor Jonas, but I’m totally exhausted.”

Kyle looks a question at Kathleen, who guesses what he’s thinking, and nods approval. He says, “Robert, Kathleen and I can stay a little while longer. Why don’t you take Mom and the girls out to eat and then back to the hotel? Mister Warden can cut it off to those who are here now and anyone else will just have to see us at tomorrow’s service.”

Without asking his wife or daughters for their opinion Robert says, “Thanks, Kyle, we’ll do that and see you at Jonas’ house by noon.”

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close