Shiloh - Cover

Shiloh

Copyright© 2005 Ernest Bywater & R. Michael Lowe aka The Scot

Chapter 19: Discussions

Kyle ends the call and hugs his new bride while asking, “What do you want to do now, Missus Alexander?”

“Besides losing my virginity? I guess go to our new home.”

“I like your plans, but I think we have a problem.”

“And that is?”

“From what I remember about our tour of the house there are no linens, kitchenware, or food in the house.”

“Let’s call Paula and make sure as well as updating her of our new plans. If you’re right about the linens and other household items we can stay in a motel tonight and shop for the house in the morning.”

Kyle calls Paula Narduchi, the executrix of the trust Jonas created. The trust’s purpose is to care for and oversee the property Missionary Ridge, which is generally to be used by Kyle and his descendants. Kyle asks her about the linens and similar things in the house.

Paula replies, “Kyle, I really don’t know what’s there, so purchase what you think is needed for you to live there. I suggest for you and KK to review the entire house and make a list of things you’ll need. The house has never been lived in and I’ve never done a full inventory. Just keep the receipts of the non-food items you purchase and the trust will reimburse you for the purchases.”

“Are you sure about that?” asks a surprised Kyle.

“That’s the way Jonas wanted it. It won’t pay for food and personal items, but it will cover anything you buy to be able to live in the house.”

Before Kyle can respond Doctor Narduchi asks, “By the way, what happened to you at the grave-site? A lot of us wanted to express our condolences, but you just disappeared.”

“There’s some things going on at the moment that’ll probably hit the news within the next three days. Thus, for several reasons, my mother ordered us to run to New Mexico and to get married today.”

“Well, congratulations to both of you, but you’re a bad boy. You didn’t honor your agreement concerning inviting us to the wedding.”

Kyle chuckles, “Today was just to get the legal side of it covered. They’re still planning the church wedding in El Paso in a few weeks.”

“OK, I guess I’ll have to accept that. By the way, have you talked to Barbara Haywood today?”

“No, Ma’am. Why?”

“This afternoon she asked if I knew where you’d gone, and she seemed rather agitated.”

“And that woman doesn’t normally get agitated,” replies Kyle. “I’d better give her a call.”

“Do you have her number?”

“I think I have it in my phone’s memory.”

“Well, if you don’t it’s OK to call me back.”

While thinking about going to the house Kyle realizes he has a problem and says, “Oh Paula, I do have another problem. The keys and the remote you gave me Monday are in my jeep, which is in the garage at Jonas’ old house. Is there a keypad and code I can use to get inside?”

“No, but Hector Lopez has a key. He can let you in then show you how to raise and lower the garage doors manually.”

“Will he know who I am?”

“He’s seen your picture, but, remember, you met his daughter when you visited. Varena will verify your identity.”

“Then with her being in school during the day we probably ought to make a short visit this evening.”

“That might be wise,” Dr Narduchi agrees.

When Kyle ends the call Kathleen asks, “Who’s agitated?”

“Barbara Haywood. She seemed upset when we disappeared?”

“I know she’s the head librarian, but why should that bother her? Does she have a crush on you, or something?”

“A crush? No. As I sense it she’s madly in love with her husband. He’s the Captain who talked at the funeral about Jonas’ medal from Vietnam, as well as about his effect on so many of his students. I do think of her as a friend, though. Also, last Saturday I learned while her husband is a Special Forces captain, she’s an SF major.”

“And Special Forces majors don’t get easily agitated!” Kathleen says with some degree of force.

“You got it, Babe. I got the feeling, after watching her and her husband in action last Saturday, she can take on a group of rag-heads with a fingernail file and not even chip a nail.”

“Then you need to call her. Even if what she wants isn’t important hearing from you will put her mind at ease, which is the proper way to treat a friend. Why don’t I find a nice motel for us while you call her?”

The couple get into the Buick with Kathleen driving. While they turn toward the interstate Kyle reviews his call list and finds the number for Barbara Haywood. “This is Barbara. Is that you, Kyle?”

“Yes, Ma’am. Doctor Narduchi sensed your concern at the funeral.”

“Yes, you disappeared and we lost you. I was concerned you and Kathleen had been snatched.”

“Barbara, it sounds like we need to talk. The problem is we’re trying to stay hidden for a little while, both because of my father and because of some strange events surrounding Jonas’ suicide. I’ve been warned, by several people, I was being watched. Were you responsible for that?”

“No, but we’re watching those who’re watching you. You’re correct, we do need to talk. Where can we meet without being observed?”

“Why don’t we meet tomorrow where we spent last Saturday? That isolated area will reveal any prying eyes and keep away listening ears.

“I agree. That’s a good choice. What time do you want to meet?”

“Say fifteen-thirty. You bring your husband and I’ll bring my wife.”

“Wife?”

“That’s where we disappeared to this afternoon!”

“Well, congratulations are in order! Marc and I wish you the best. Is there anything you need?”

“Yes, Ma’am. I don’t expect it to be a present and I know this will be stretching our friendship, but, based upon your remarks and concerns I need two forty caliber Glocks, one standard and one compact. I also need several spare magazines and boxes of ammunition. The ammo should be mixed, part hollow-point, and part standard ball for targets.”

“I can handle that. How about shotguns and long guns?”

“I don’t have anything right now. I had a Colt model nineteen eleven in my bedroom at Jonas’ house. Unfortunately I don’t have it with me, and to be honest, at the moment I’m beginning to feel a little exposed.”

“Kyle, I’m sure Marc and I can come up with a few things to help remove the feeling of being naked. Just be careful in the meantime.”

“I will, and thanks.”

Kyle ends the call and he refocuses on their surroundings. Kathleen has left the interstate and is driving down a new access road with many commercial lots for sale as well as buildings under construction.

“Where are we heading, KK.”

“A sign on the interstate pointed to a Springdale Suites down here. I thought we’d check it out. What’s the story on Barbara? And did I hear you asking her to get us some guns?”

“I did. Especially when she confirmed something is going on and we’re being shadowed. She and Marc have people tailing the watchers. Since she’s so concerned about us I feel we better get some personal protection. Besides, it’s not like we don’t have the money.”

Kathleen pulls into the entrance of the hotel and parks. They enter, and find the place to be new, clean, and functional. It can’t be classified as a five-star hotel, but they really don’t care. It’ll definitely meet their needs while it’s far enough off the beaten path to give them some element of anonymity. Kyle registers and pays cash for the suite. While the clerk checks them in Kathleen asks about a good place to eat.

“Do you want fast food, a main meal, or something in between?”

“I don’t know about my new husband, but I want a juicy steak.”

The clerk responds, “If that’s the case I would say The Cattle Barron on Telshor is probably your best choice. They have great steaks and an excellent prime rib. This map will show you how to get there.”

“Kyle?” she asks, looking at him questioningly.

“KK, I don’t have a problem with it. The next question is do we eat first or go see the new house?”

“I’m too hungry to not eat first, so let’s delay going to the house.”

They drive to the restaurant. It’s early enough not to have a long wait, so they’re soon served. When they leave, feeling stuffed like a Thanksgiving turkey, they’re surprised to find it’s still light outside as they head for their new home.

Since this area is still unfamiliar the couple is surprised it takes less than fifteen minutes to go from the restaurant to Hector Lopez’s house.

As Kyle and KK exit the Buick a man in his mid-thirties steps out the front door carrying a shotgun. Before either Kyle or the man can speak Varena comes running up to them from one of the outbuildings as she cries, “Papa, Papa, this is our new Patrón, Kyle. He’s Jonas’ grandson.”

The man smiles and moves the shotgun to the crook of his left arm. With his right arm now free Hector offers his hand to Kyle as he says, “Welcome to Missionary Ridge, Patrón. Come and meet my family.”

With great pride the man introduces each member of his family and Kyle introduces his bride. When each male is introduced he reaches out to shake Kyle’s hand and to kiss the back of Kathleen’s hand while all of the females in the family curtsy.

Kyle explains what they need and Hector has one of the children bring them an extra key from the house. With the key in hand Hector climbs onto an ATV to lead the couple to their new home. He opens a standard people door beside the garage doors and shows them how to raise and lower the two large roll-up metal doors, a single and a double.

Once they’re inside the garage Hector gives Kyle the spare key and, during a discussion of the couple’s plans Hector advises them some of the items that seem to be missing are stored in cupboards located in the pantry and the laundry room. Once Kyle feels everything is under reasonable control Hector returns to his home and the young couple go through the house making lists of items needed now and in the future.

Their efforts take more than an hour and it’s well after sundown when they finally lock up to go back to the motel. When they pass the Lopez’s house the outside lights flash twice, which Kyle correctly assumes is recognition Kyle and KK are leaving.

After a few minutes a slightly disturbed KK asks, “Didn’t all that hand kissing and curtsying bother you. I was surprised you didn’t put a stop to it.”

“I guess I’ve gotten used to it at Shiloh. You have to understand it’s part of their culture which stems from a feudal heritage. They know we aren’t their lords and masters, but, at the same time, we’re providing them with a nice place to live, food on their table, and a nice income for little work. So it helps their pride to see us in that way.”

“I don’t understand. How does it help their pride?”

“In a feudal system the people are tied to the land. They provide a service to their Patrón and, in turn, he takes care of them. By doing their best to please their Patrón they feel honor and pride. Without that view they’d see what Jonas set up, and we’re continuing, as charity.”

“And charity destroys that sense of pride?”

“Exactly. On Shiloh I have to admit it bothered me in the beginning. I was initially afraid Jonas had set himself up as a minor king, but after he explained things to me it made perfect sense.”

“But why haven’t I seen this among other Hispanics in the area?”

“Primarily because at one time Hector’s family was likely tied closely to one of the larger Haciendas ruled by a Spanish Hidalgo or nobleman. Their ancestors may have even come here from Spain. In contrast, most of the Hispanics we see today are mestizos. The mestizos’ heritage is more Aztec and other Indian rather than a Spanish one.”

“Kyle, I’m not sure I’m following what you’re trying to say.”

“OK, let me put it like this. Compare a typical Texan with someone from Boston, Philadelphia, or Virginia whose family came here from England prior to the Revolution. We’re all Americans, but our culture is entirely different. All of the Hispanics speak Spanish, but their cultures are shaped by their heritage and can vary drastically.”

“Now it’s making sense. Is it the same way on Chaos?”

“Not with everyone, but it is for most of the families that are part of Shiloh. It also stems for their love and respect for their Patrón. In a way, they actually see themselves as part of his family and when he’s shown respect they’re respected.”

“I understand, but it seems so - so un-American.”

“Why? They’re not slaves. They’re free to leave if they want to. We don’t tell them what to believe, who to vote for, or who to marry. I don’t even require them to refer to me as Patrón. So, to me, it’s nothing more than them calling me honored and respected Boss.”

“I guess it’s always been my view we’re all equal. For some reason I feel this sets us up in a higher class than them.”

“KK, how’d you feel when Doctor Narduchi said to call her Paula?”

“Awkward. Oh, I get it. I’ve no problem seeing her as someone better than me, but it was my own choice, not something forced upon me.”

“I think you’re finally getting the picture. We elevate her to a higher place in our minds because we feel she’s worthy of the respect, not that we’re lesser people.”

“Or a lower class.”

“Exactly. The difference in the US, today, is respect isn’t hereditary; it has to be earned. Now to the Lopez family. We’ve that respect because of Jonas and Doctor N vouching for us as good people. If we start acting like assholes then either the title or the family will disappear. It’ll be the same way at Shiloh. If we’re uncaring and abusive then the only way we can keep our people will be to turn them into slaves. That’s what those who are trying to take over the place intend to do. According to Jonas’ notes more than ten thousand independent and free people on that planet have been recently turned into slaves. If Jonas is correct and there’s a link to Earth then ultimately that’s also what they plan for us.”

“So you think the war on Shiloh can have an effect on the Earth?”

“That was Jonas’ conclusion. Remember, it was someone here on this planet who forced Jonas to the point of suicide to protect all of those he considered his family on both planets.”

“Wow! Kyle, that sure changes my perspective. Going to Chaos is no longer a ’we’ll see’ proposition; it’s mandatory!” After a pause Kathleen asks, “With that decision firmed up, where do we go from here?”

“I think our first priority is to get things in order here. I don’t want to take too long, but it’ll eliminate some outside distractions. It’ll also give us a chance to recruit Larry and Nadia, and to do some planning.”

“Wouldn’t a delay also throw off those watching us here? Looking at it from their perspective I’d expect you to immediately head to Chaos. If you don’t then they may figure either you’re ignorant about the portal or your new wife won’t allow you to put yourself into danger just to impregnate another woman.”

“And what does my new wife think about that?”

“Kyle, we fight the battle together and as long as I get the rest of you then I’m OK. Besides, from what I’ve read and from what you’ve told me the future of an entire world hangs in the balance. It makes me feel rather selfish to try to keep you all to myself.”

When they reach the outskirts of Las Cruces Kyle’s cell rings. Rather than be distracted in an unfamiliar area he hands it to KK. She reads the ID, sees it’s Charlotte and says, “Hi, Mom. How are things going?”

“Excellent! They’re satisfied Kyle is innocent of all charges and my soon-to-be ex-husband is going to spend a very long time in jail.”

“I like the sound of that, Mom! I was wondering what’s going to happen to CyberFun?”

“We’ve decided the two of you sold it in good faith so, thereforethe money you received is yours and everything else follows according to the original deal. What’s really the issue for the court to decide is: does Texas State Energy own it since it was purchased with stolen money, or will it be owned by Robert’s shell company which ultimately will be owned by us? Either way, it’ll stay in our family’s control and Felicia has requested to transfer to the university here and to help run it.”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close