Shiloh - Cover

Shiloh

Copyright© 2005 Ernest Bywater & R. Michael Lowe aka The Scot

Chapter 24: Surprises

Kyle terminates the call and, still using Skype, he calls his mother’s cell phone. “Charlotte,” she answers.

“It’s your favorite son again. We’re about fifteen minutes from you. Where do you want to meet?”

“If we can have twenty minutes I’d like to pick up some additional things at Target. Can you meet us at their front entrance?”

“Sure. Look for a black Suburban with a Prospectors tag on the front, but you won’t recognize the driver.”

“You can explain about that later. Did Dennis catch up with you?”

“Yes, and he was very helpful.”

“I’m glad of that. Have you already picked up Beverly and Felicia?”

“They’re already on the way to the house, so it’ll be just us.”

“Great, that’ll give us more room for the things we bought. See you shortly.” Charlotte hangs up while Kyle terminates the Skype session. He closes the laptop as Sonny pulls out of their parking place. When they reach the Interstate they find the traffic is already beginning to pick up, making their trip to the second mall a little longer than expected due to traffic delays on the interstate and the intersections they traverse.

When Sonny pulls up to the front door of Target Charlotte and Courtney come out pushing a cart each and are followed by three Target employees with more carts. Observing their surroundings carefully Sonny hits the button to open the rear door and exits the SUV. He quickly introduces himself to Kyle’s mother and sister before helping to load everything in the back. When the loading is done Charlotte thanks her helpers and gives each of them a twenty for a tip. Sonny opens the doors for the women and returns to the driver’s seat once they’re seated. Charlotte, uncertain about what’s going on, notes the driver maintains the ’look of an eagle’ the entire time. As soon as everyone is buckled in he starts toward Kyle’s home.

While they head for the Interstate Sonny asks, “Kyle, do you want me to pick up the chicken at Bojangles or at Popeye’s in Las Cruces?”

“I’d rather have Bojangles, but it won’t be as good by the time we get home. I think getting it in Las Cruces will be the wiser choice. We may also need to get some night shades for Mom and Courtney.”

Charlotte says, “In case you need to do something like blindfolding us I purchased some scarves that should do the trick.”

“Good thinking, Mom; and please understand this is as much for your safety as ours.”

“Son, I don’t understand any of this, but, for the moment, I’m going with the flow. I just thought your problems would be resolved when Robert was arrested?”

“I can’t explain a lot at the moment, but this has nothing to do with Robert. Instead, it’s related to Jonas’ suicide. It seems the people who tried to blackmail Jonas are looking for something he had. We hope by selling the house to Lucille we’ve escaped their detection. Now we’re trying to disappear until the problem is resolved.”

“So, this car and Sonny are part of that?”

“That and whole lot more, and it’s all from Jonas.”

“Jonas?”

“It seems he’d made provisions that were outside his will.”

“Is that legal?”

“It’s part of a trust he set up shortly after Wanda died. It’s designed to provide the use of certain assets to Jonas’ descendants, but the trust maintains ownership and is probably why Jonas’ estate is much smaller than some people expected.”

“Then why you and not Robert?” asks Courtney.

“Jonas and the executors decided Robert wasn’t worthy.”

“Really?”

“Their exact words.”

“That’s pretty pathetic, isn’t it?” remarks Charlotte.

“Mom, my goal is to bring enough honor to Jonas to erase any blight on his name caused by Robert.”

“Kyle, I think you can do that by just continuing to breathe.”

For the next several minutes Kyle, his mother, and his sister discuss their day. It’s pleasant and loving in a family way and Kyle is amazed how different things are now they’re free of Robert’s shadow.

Before they realize it Sonny is exiting the interstate in Las Cruces. Charlotte gives him some money along with the order, and they’re soon back on the Interstate heading north. Without prompting Charlotte pulls out two scarves and hands one back to Courtney. Then, with Kyle’s help, the blindfolds are quickly in place. It’s less than fifteen minutes later when the SUV pulls into the garage.

Felicia runs down the stairs to help, but Kyle signals her to stop and to remain quiet. Wanting his mom and sister to experience the full effect of the place Kyle says, “Mom, Courtney, would you please keep your blindfolds in place a little longer. We’ll tell you when to remove them, but first we have to climb a few stairs. Sonny and I will help you and keep you from falling.” As soon as Felicia sees what her brother is doing she takes the boxes of chicken and biscuits then she rushes upstairs to warn Kathleen.

Kyle and Sonny help the two blindfolded females toward the stairs and while they walk Kyle asks, “Sonny, do you want to head on home, or would you like to eat with us?”

“My family isn’t expecting me until late tonight. I figured I’d drop your guests off at their cars and see them home before I head to where we’re staying.”

“That was well thought out, but it just emphasizes why we need you moved out here as soon as possible.”

“I can’t disagree with you,” Sonny replies.

At the top of the stairs the family guides Charlotte and Courtney to the entrance of the smaller observation room, which Kathleen decides to call the den. Here she has them remove their blindfolds.

Mother and daughter blink a couple of times then they focus first on the wall of glass, and then to the beautiful rock fireplace stretching from floor to ceiling.

“Wow!” exclaims Charlotte, “that view is awesome.”

“I agree,” answers Courtney.

“I think we all had the same feeling the first time we saw it,” adds Kathleen. “Come on, let me give you a quick tour before we eat. You can look in more depth after we eat.”

The tour starts in the Great Room with its larger wall of glass. From there KK shows them the well-designed kitchen, the children’s and guest rooms, and finally ends up in the master bedroom where the oversize bed elicits numerous comments. Felicia discovers the huge bathroom with its hot tub, but fails to pick up on the shower that’s large enough for four. Beverly, on the other hand, is excited by all the closet space and the lush soft mauve carpet in the bedrooms. The rest of the house has either hardwood floors or tile.

Though the meal is a simple one they eat in the formal dining room because it’s the only place large enough for the whole group. The conversation is spirited, ranging from teasing the newlywed couple to the afternoon’s purchases. It obviously includes some probing to learn more of what’s behind all this mysterious need to hide. It’s especially frustrating for the mothers when the information isn’t forthcoming.

After the meal the men go downstairs to unload the vehicles while the ladies wait by the dumb waiter to unload it and put all of the gear away. Very soon everything is out of the SUV, Jeep, and trailer. The purchases and clothes go up the dumbwaiter while the tools and related workshop gear goes into the workshop; Kyle will put it all away later. The display with the portal is also put in the workshop for now. After the unloading the men return to the dining room to have a drink and the ladies soon join them.

Shortly before 22:00 Kyle and Sonny load the five guests into the Suburban and make sure everyone is blindfolded. Kyle also cautions the group about giving out any information concerning the couple.

Sonny says, “Kyle, I’ll see you around oh nine thirty.”

Kyle nods his agreement and Sonny drives off into the night, closing the garage door with the remote unit in the car.

Kyle turns off the garage lights and heads upstairs. He finds KK relaxing before the fire. “Well, how do you think it went?” he asks.

“I think it went a lot better than I expected, but I can tell the curiosity is killing them. Even my brother is affected by the intrigue.”

“I know, and it’s probably the only secret he and I have never shared. What’s worse, is it’s a secret we really can’t ever reveal. Hopefully we can find a way to turn this back on the militia group without exposing the portals to the world at large.”

“What about explaining things the way you did to Barbara and Marc, which I thought was rather ingenious.”

“Thank you. The problem is the way it was handled gives the two of them an explanation that can be easily denied, especially in an official investigation. I don’t see our mothers and siblings taking it that way.”

“True, but didn’t Wanda know about Jonas’ adventures?”

“Yes, she did.”

“It may be a while before we can say anything, but eventually we may have to tell them the truth.”

“OK, Sweetheart, I can see where you’re coming from. I’ll be open to explaining more in the future, but I do hope we don’t have to add that complication to our lives. Now, do you want to go on to bed, or what?”

KK replies, “I’d like to read more of the handbooks. I think we need to make a trip in the morning to talk to some people on Crossroads.”

“I know right where the books are. I’ll be back in a minute.”

Kyle runs down to the garage and retrieves the two manuals from the Buick’s trunk. He’d mixed them among his textbooks to hide them from prying eyes. Returning to his bride he hands her the Companions handbook then he sits next to her with the Heroes handbook.

“You know, Kyle, the first time I read this book I honestly thought you were either playing a joke on me or off your rocker. Now I find I’m reading it like it’s just below the Bible in importance. Have I really changed that much in just a few days?”

“Actually, I think all this intrigue and caution regarding the militia has made everything become more real to you.”

Kathleen thoughtfully nods and says, “I think you’re right.”

The newlyweds read ‘til just before midnight. Though they’re barely halfway through the manuals they both realize they’re fighting a losing battle with the sandman. Finally, they each mark their place and head to bed. Again, they’re too exhausted to make love, but simply fall asleep wrapped in physical warmth of the other’s arms and the emotional warmth of their shared love.

Kathleen is the first one to awaken the next morning. Feeling that immersing herself in Kyle’s essence is the most important thing she can do at the moment she lets him sleep while she holds him close and listens to his heartbeat. Kyle’s smell fills her olfactory sensors and the touch of his body causes tingles wherever their flesh happen to meet. If I was a cat, she thinks, I’d be purring loud enough to wake the neighbors!

After a bit Kyle suddenly opens his eyes and gives her a quick kiss on the forehead before he throws back the covers and heads for the bathroom. It’s not the most romantic way for a couple to start the day, but Kathleen has read enough to understand it’s a necessary part of the early morning life of an adult male.

Knowing he has to pee first thing is one thing, but she becomes a little miffed when she hears the shower begin. That feeling is quickly squelched when Kyle returns to the bedroom to escort his wife to her morning shower. It’s even better when he joins her and begins to wash her hair. Sadly, the couple don’t have the time to linger for some morning love making, but Kathleen’s emotional fulfillment when they finish is almost as good.

While they dress KK asks, “What would you like for breakfast?”

“We may need something additional later in the morning, but I was thinking of some fruit and cereal. My goal is to be finished with the manuals before Sonny arrives and then head to Crossroads while our two guards discuss housing and security issues.” They’re soon reading.

Finishing her manual Kathleen asks, “Will we go to Chaos today?”

“I don’t think so. Jonas told me the first time a new Hero arrives on Crossroads it’s more of a meet and greet time as well as the time he chooses a Caretaker. In normal times this must be done before the first mission because she has to research and help the Hero select his mission as well as help him prepare for it. The preparation can include things like weapon training, learning Chaos’ economic system, and clan etiquette, but it also provides other information and insight intended to increase the chances of a successful mission. I do know this trip will not be normal in any manner due to the information we have concerning Jonas’ death, Carl Edmondson, and their major security breach. Under these circumstances I’ve no idea what will happen, but if nothing else, I plan to grab your arm and step back through the portal.”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close