Voyage to Far N'Jurd - Cover

Voyage to Far N'Jurd

Public Domain

Chapter III

The third mate, whose name was Harry, stood before the mirror combing his hair. He had been combing his hair for the last fifteen minutes.

“I suppose the crew is celebrating?” his wife said.

“I suppose.”

She stood up and walked over to the dresser. Absently she began to finger the articles on it.

“You really shouldn’t have told them about little Glenn tonight.”

“Pish-tush.”

“No, Harry. I mean it. Helen looked at me strangely all through dinner. She has three children, you know.”

“You’re imagining things.”

“But she does have three children.”

“I mean about her looking at you.”

“Oh.”

Harry fiddled with his tie without speaking.

“I mean, as much as to say: ‘Well, I raised all of mine.’”

“But honey, about little Glenn. That was an accident, almost. You didn’t really mean to choke him that hard.”

“But still ... it ... I mean, there was Helen, looking at me like I wasn’t doing my duty. You know.”

“No,” he said. “That’s nonsense, Jane. Sheer nonsense. You know what the priest said.”

He polished one of his brass buttons with the sleeve of his coat.

“Harry?”

“Yes?”

“I don’t think all that is necessary just to go on duty.”

“Probably not.”

She walked to the bed and sat down. “Harry?”

“Yes, dear?”

“Don’t you really think she’s awful young?”

“Huh-uh.”

“I mean, why don’t you pick someone else? Like Mary? She’s awful sweet. I’ll bet she’d be better.”

“Probably.”

“She’s a lot of fun.”

He brushed at his hair again. “Who do you want, Jane?”

“Oh, I don’t know.” She looked down at her legs, raised them up from the floor and held them out in front of her. “I think I’d kind of like Nestir. With his funny bald head. I hope he asks me.”

“I’ll mention it to him.”

“Would you really, Harry? That would be sweet.”

“Sure, honey.” He looked down at his watch.

“Harry? Are you going to meet Wanda in the control room?”

“Uh-huh.”

“I thought so. Well, remember this, dear: It isn’t the day of the Changing of the Wives yet. Don’t forget.”

“Honey! You don’t think for a minute that...”

“No, dear. I know you wouldn’t. But just don’t, I mean.”


He walked over and kissed her forehead and patted her cheek. “Course not,” he said, comfortingly.

He left her sitting on the bed and strolled down the officers’ corridor, whistling.

He made a mental note to have the bosun send some of the crew in tomorrow to wash down these bulkheads. They needed it. In one corner a spider spun its silver web.

He jogged up the companionway, turned left and felt the air as fresh as spring when he stepped under the great ventilator.

And beneath it lay one of the crew.

He kicked the man several times in the ribs until he came to consciousness.

“Can’t sleep here, my man,” Harry explained.

“Awww. Go way an’ le’ me ‘lone, huh?”

“Here. Here.” He pulled the fellow erect and slapped him in the face briskly. “This is the officers’ corridor.”

“Oh? Ish it? Schorry. Shore schorry, shir. So schorry.”

Harry assisted him to the crew’s corridor where he sank to the floor and relapsed once more into a profound slumber.

Harry continued on to the control room.

When he entered it, the second mate was yawning.

“Hi, John. Sleepy?”

“Uh-huh. You’re early.”

“Don’t mind, do you?”

“No ... Quiet tonight. Had to cut the motors an hour ago. Control technician passed out.”

“Oh?”

The second mate took out a cigarette and lit it. “Can’t blow the ship up, you know. Look like hell on the record. Hope the captain don’t find out about it, though. He’ll figure the man was neglecting his duty.”

He blew a smoke ring.

“Might even bar him from the Festival.”

“Yeah,” said Harry, “the captain’s funny that way.”

The second mate blew another smoke ring.

“Well,” Harry said.

“Uh. Harry? Are you really going to take that Wanda girl?”

“If Nestir lets me.”

“Say. Harry. Do you suppose your wife would... ?”


Harry crossed to the second mate and put a hand on his shoulder. “Sorry, old fellow. She’s got it in her head to take Nestir.” He shrugged. “I don’t exactly approve, of course, but ... I’m sure if he doesn’t want her, she’d be glad to hear your offer.”

“Aw, that’s all right,” John said. “Don’t really matter. Say. By the way. Have I told you what I intend to do to the captain? I’ve got it all thought out. You know that saber I picked up on Queglat? Well...”

“Look. How about telling me another time?”

“Uh, Sure. If you say so. Uh?”

“I’m kind of expecting Wanda.”

“Oh. Sure. I should have known you weren’t here early for nothing. In that case, I better be shoving off. Luck.”

“Thanks. See you at breakfast.”

“Right-o.”

After the second mate left, Harry walked over to the control panel. The jet lights were dead. He picked up the intercom and switched over the engine call bell. “‘Lo,” he said into the microphone. “This is the bridge ... Oh, hi, Barney. Harry ... Have you got a sober control technician down there yet... ? Fine. We’ll start the jets again. If the captain comes in now--well, you know how he is ... Okay, thanks. Night.”

He replaced the microphone. He reached over and threw the forward firing lever. The jet lights came on and the ship began to brake acceleration again.

Having done that, he switched on the space viewer. The steady buzz of the equipment warming sounded in his ears. Wanda would be sure to want to look at the stars. She was simple minded.

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close