Masi'shen Evolution - Cover

Masi'shen Evolution

Copyright© 2016 by Graybyrd

Chapter 5: Discoveries

Michael sat with Jon’a-ren and another masi’na (male) in a private chamber, a large one that he expected could serve as an exercise or workout area if he were in an earth building.

“Michael, I wish to introduce a good friend and a shipmate, one that you rescued with the T’shu-niach. This is Berl’ahan. During your time with us on earth, he was a masi’mem, a swimmer. He bore a form resembling a large penguin, which suited him well for sea-harvesting and other work. You might also wish to know that it was Berl’ahan who, at the end of the swimmer relay chain, delivered the message of your existence to the human scientist in her raft at the human science base.”

Michael rose to greet Berl’ahan, grasping his hand and pulling him into a close embrace for a moment and then, placing his hands on the young masi’na’s shoulders, he held him out to arm’s length and smiled.

“Berl’ahan, you have my most sincere gratitude. I cannot begin to explain how desperate my situation was, alone on that ice waste. I thought my life would end in bitter isolation. I thank you, my friend. That was a magnificent thing that you and your shipmates did for me!”

If a Masi’shen could blush, Berl’ahan did. He ducked his head, stammered for a moment, and then looked back up to Michael with excited eyes.

“My eternal gratitude to you, Michael Hawthorne of Earth. I need not tell you of our absolute desolation and resignation to an increasingly bitter fate on Earth. I am also grateful,” and he turned to look steadily at Jon’a-ren as he spoke, “that I was not so unfortunate as to endure the entire two millennia of your earth years as a castaway on your planet!”

Michael broke up with laughter, and Jon’a-ren smiled with wry amusement. Berl’ahan stood watching his friends, enjoying the mirth of the moment.

“Berl’ahan, my young friend—do you mean to imply that somehow I might have lived that entire time of our stranding on Earth; that now I stand before you so ancient and time-worn as that?” Jon’a-ren teased back. “If you think me that diminished, perhaps we should test ourselves and see how deficient my age has made me?”

“Nay, revered elder. I mean no such thing. I am sure that great age and wisdom have improved your abilities, not diminished them!” Berl’ahan said back, in a teasing tone.

Michael interrupted the exchange, seeing that even Masi’shen could let ego and pride have some influence on their demeanor.

“Hold on, good friends, you forget who is with you. I am here, completely adrift. I am unsure even of my age at this moment, let alone whether I might be diminished or deficient following my time in the healing chamber. I feel wonderful. Better, in fact, than I ever remember. But what can I do? Who am I now? I tell you I cannot guess. I am half afraid to face the question: what am I now? I am no longer human. I certainly am not completely Masi’shen. So I ask, what am I now?”

“And that, Michael, is why I have called us here and why I have asked young Berl’ahan to assist us. We do not know the answer to your question. Obviously, you are the first. You understand that it was only the confident assurances of our healers that allowed us to proceed. They felt — for some reason that continues to astound both myself and the others of the ship’s council — that your transformation would succeed. They had no doubt of that! But your abilities, how the human and masi’na abilities would remain, or cancel, or combine themselves, that they could not answer for us, and I am completely without knowledge or expectation. It is you who must endure the questions, Michael, and we are here to help you discover the answers!”

Many hours passed. Jon’a-ren and Berl’ahan produced exercise and strength-testing devices for their physical bodies and with Berl’ahan leading, Michael tested his abilities against the young masi’na. Jon’a-ren participated. He held his own with the younger masi’na, but both fell far behind Michael. In physical ability he proved to be about twice as capable as his Masi’shen friends. The testing was very basic, covering simple tests of strength and endurance.

Once they’d established a simple physical baseline, Jon’a-ren moved them to a larger exercise area for the earthly equivalent of track and field events. Here, too, Michael excelled. His companions proved to be far superior in speed, agility and endurance compared to a typical human athlete, on a roughly two-to-one basis: twice as fast, twice as far, twice as high, especially in the younger Berl’ahan’s case.

But Michael! Something had happened to his physiognomy. His muscles held more power, his sinews more strength, his joints more flexibility, his heart more endurance, and his lungs more capacity. He eased into the tests, not wishing to over-extend himself or to appear boastful to his hosts. Jon’a-ren quickly put a halt to that!

“Michael, my son! We are here to test you, to learn your abilities and your limits. We cannot do that if you hold back! I insist that you now waste our time or this opportunity because of some notion of modesty or reserve. I sense this in you, and it is foolishness! We are not so insecure, Berl’ahan or I, as to resent your abilities if they should exceed ours! Do you understand? Will you please let go and exert your best efforts for us?”

Michael blushed and apologized. He pushed himself. He became more comfortable with his enhanced body. His pleasure and delight soared while he extended himself fully into running, jumping, throwing, leaping and tumbling with greater speed, agility, and grace.

“Forgive me, father-mine, but the gravity? I cannot compare, since I do not have the same body as I had on earth, but how does the gravity of this planet compare to earth?”

“More, my son, by a factor of 1.35 times greater. If you were performing these exercises on earth, I’m afraid any observers would be both startled and frightened. They would think you to be super-human. Which, I suppose, is a truth. You have become super-human.”

Jon’a-ren paced about, cooling himself from their last run around the oval track. For several moments he seemed lost in thought. He snapped upright, and motioned for Berl’ahan to join them.

“I think we have accomplished all we need for physical evaluation,” he announced. “It would be well if we returned to our suite and arranged for clean garments and refreshments. Berl’ahan, please join us for the evening, if you would? I’m sure that Michael would delight in your continued company, especially if it will keep his mind occupied lest he spend all evening missing the company of my daughter!”

They laughed and strode briskly from the field. Jon’a-ren explained his plans for the next day.

“We must now evaluate other capabilities, ones which will be totally new and unfamiliar to you, Michael. As you have seen and heard, we have a unique ability. We gather and focus and manipulate free energy much as humans forge and use physical tools. You would use a hammer; we would use a compressed energy blow. You would use a saw; we would use a cutting line of heat. You would use a drill, we would use a focused beam similar to a laser. These are not so different in application as you might think. The difference is how we are able to call forth and manipulate energy, and that is unknown to humans. I suspect you now have some ability. We do not know for certain, and we dare not experiment until we can do so in an isolated and safe area. It compares to your hand- and shoulder-held weapons training. You do so in isolated safe areas. Tomorrow, we will seek such an area and begin your testing, and perhaps your training.”


The next day, early, the trio boarded a small shuttle piloted by Berl’ahan. They exited through a long, wide tunnel leading out into the icy wastes of the planet’s surface, and after a short flight over a range of ice ridges, Michael watched intently while Berl’ahan piloted the craft to a landing at the end of a deep, narrow valley. It was featureless except for ramparts of ice surrounding the snow-covered valley floor. There was no sign of constructions or habitation or other use.

“I realize there are no people here, but are there animals? I have seen no sign, and I see no tracks wherever I look,” Michael asked.

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close