A Mother's Love

by Pars001

Copyright© 2016 by Pars001

Science Fiction Story: How far would you go for a lost loved one?

Tags: Science Fiction   Time Travel   Alternate Timeline   Violence   Spiritual   Religion   Assassins   Supernatural  

Beatrix looked back into the dense London fog; someone was following her. Turning into the next alleyway she waited. They had made a really bad mistake if they were trying to take her life. The soft click on the street stones plus an even softer tapping let her know they were close. A moment later a hooded figure started to turn the corner when she leaped out. Swinging her Kitana she took the top of the hood completely off the figure.

“Damn it, Beatrix!” The headless body issued, dropping a scythe then stooping to pick up the skull head that was rolling on the ground. “If I wasn’t dead I might be now!” There was an eerie echoing laugh as the body placed the skull head back on the body covering it with the hood. Beatrix had already taken the? What the hell? Was this a scythe? Strange, she thought, she could almost feel the damn thing vibrating in her hands as if it was alive!

Taking another look at the figure she gasped, she’d be damned if he (she guessed) didn’t look like death! “Uh huh. Who sent you? The agency? No one outside of them knows who I am!”

There was a moment of silence then the figure said, “All will be revealed when you hand me back my scythe.”

Her eyes narrowing, she laughed, “Do I look that stupid? Hand a weapon back to an obvious enemy? No, I think I’ll hang on to this.”

There was a sigh then the figure spoke again, “You don’t know who I am, do you? I made a mistake thinking that you would go down that easy. Alright, I am open to negotiation, what do you want in order I regain my scythe?”

Beatrix could only stare at him: negotiate? What in the hell was he on about? “You’re right about one thing, I am UNSURE as to whom you are. The weapon though I am very sure about, at present, I think it unwise to return it.”

Again the hooded figure gave a sigh, “You don’t realize the implications of you not returning it to me. I have a job to...”

“Oh I’m sure you do but I don’t intend to be a victim of yours,” Beatrix spit back at the figure.

Shaking its head a moment, then figure nodded to Beatrix, “Alright, what do you want to know? Afterward, perhaps we can discuss me regaining my scythe, okay?”

Beatrix thought a moment. She’d never seen an agent nor heard of one with a scythe. “Alright, first question, who in the fuck are you? Second, how in the hell were you able to follow me? Third, who do you work for?”

“Obviously I am not dealing with a fool. Alright, I was called Ankou by the Celts, Smierc by the Polish, Hel by the Norse, King Yama by the Hindus, Yama by the Chinese. Do you need more? I have been called Thanatos by the Greek, though the name you might know of best is Grim Reaper,” the figure said, shocking Beatrix a moment.

She almost dropped the scythe watching as the figure tried to suddenly lunge and wrench it from her grasp. “Uh, uh, uh, I don’t think so! So you expect me to believe that you are death? If I remember right you can take any life just by your touch.”

Nodding slowly as the figure picked itself off the ground, it stated, “Under normal circumstances that would be true, but you hold the scythe. I demand you give it to me! I have to keep all the appointments that were made for today.”

Still not truly believing the figure she stood there her grip increasing upon the handle. “I need proof, now!”

“I can’t take a soul before it’s appointed time. I can’t just take a soul without the knowledge, that is with the scythe. What has happened today is extremely rare. You are a rare soul indeed. Now then, may we please finish our business so I can continue on?” Death asked Beatrix, though she could see that he was still trying to figure a way to wrest the scythe from her.

 
There is more of this story...
The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close