The Mission
Chapter 4: A Royal Pain

Copyright© 2014 - 2015 by Pars001. All rights reserved.

The emperor jerked awake for the second time not sure of where he was Alatem helped him to his feet. “What happened?” he inquired.

Ali was surprised that the device had worked as well as it had, “You passed out I guess it was all the excitement of the past 4 days what with the assassinations and finding out that uncle was behind all the attempts.”

For some reason the Emperor thought he was missing something. Knowing his daughter he was, as sneaky as she was. Charles watched from a distance watching his power levels this shimmer shield he’d gotten from the last time he’d been forward was going to be a god send, too bad it didn’t last long. He knew with the Emperor’s memory slightly wiped and reprogrammed he had a lot better chance now to complete the mission. Damn each time they stopped one another popped up shit! Was the man hated that much?

Charles moved out of the hall to another room was just about to leave, when Alatem’s mother walked in startled only a moment she quickly closed the doors locking them.

“So, you are the one that my daughter is in love with,” holding up a hand to quiet him she continued, “I can see why she does, yes you are perfect for her as I assume she is for you.” Reaching out she took his arm and led him away deeper into the room to a nearby wall, pressing 3 points near a picture the wall opened, “In quickly!” She advised. Following him she closed the door and lit a candle to reveal a small room with a table and chairs.

“Sit sir, I want to personally thank you for all our lives,” again she held up a hand to quiet him, “I know you are here to help our family, I am on your side seeing Alatem as happy as she is, is worth everything that we’ve been through. Now then, I know you are more than a little curious about the law no royal being touched but any but a royal.” Sighing she took a big breath, “It started 100 years ago well before Alatem was born, you see others of the royal family though not directly in line for the throne had many ... trysts, you might say these indiscretions produced many offspring that were uh, simple and deformed, many royals thinking they were unable to have normal children stopped trying and the royal line almost died out The Emperor my father in-law thought different and tested many of the royals, finding that the royal blood line was pure but many of the uh ... others the royals like to diddle with weren’t.”

Charles nodded his head this made a lot of sense to ban even touching? “Why the no touching rule Empress? Was he afraid that the women from both castes were going to get impregnated just through touch?” Charles said a little incredulous.

She smiled she liked this man, intelligent as well as handsome, “It is Mita please, and as for the touching he decided that if the lower caste was afraid to touch the royals than it would be the supreme deterrent to them having children, though it isn’t that simple that’s the deterrent of it.” Charles nodded again this made a lot more sense now but how was he to get past this?

“Ok, so if a non-royal got a royal pregnant what would happen?” Charles asked though he was afraid he already knew the answer.

Sighing and taking a deep breath Mita thought a moment then answered, “The penalty would be most severe. Usually a long drawn out as painful death as possible and in the case of a royal getting pregnant by a non-royal then... , “ Mita’s mouth suddenly dropped agape, “I thought that she had put on a little weight! She is isn’t she? You are the father are you not?”

“Yes,” Charles answered proudly, “it happened when we were looking for an ancient time slip machine in my... , “ Charles stopped short not sure just how much to tell Alatem’s mother though he was close to trusting her he still wasn’t sure she wouldn’t turn him in at a moment’s notice.

“Ah! I see you ARE from the future as I suspected,” holding up her hand again to quiet him she went on, “you are obviously an extremely brilliant man, that in its self drives your chances up 50% saving all our lives at least another 25% but the rules state that you have to be tested before you can be made a royal.”

Charles eyes grew wide that was all? Hell bring on the tests!

“Now don’t think it is all that simple, you have to prove you are royal material, undergo physical tests that can push a man to the brink. Also all this has to be done publicly,” Mita watched as Charles face dropped.

Whispering Charles said, “I can’t do that it’s impossible even with me being removed from time there are too many repercussions.” Mita could see the pain and agony that Charles was going through, feeling for him she knew that there was nothing that she could do for him.

“Why is that? If you’re removed from time as I understand it, no mention of you in the past could change the future,” Mita said now perplexed about the situation. Sighing Charles wasn’t sure how he could explain the whole time paradox of repeat changes.

“It’s not the being mentioned it’s the paradox of time correction and dilation.” Charles could see by the confused look on the empress face that she didn’t understand what he was talking about. Sighing Charles tried to wrap his own head around it in such a way that she might understand it. “Ok, although I have been removed from time I am still connected to it, everything I do affects everything past and future, I can only effect the past once publicly after that I have to be hidden, you’ve heard the theory two like objects cannot occupy the same space at the same time. It’s somewhat like that if I were to run into myself the resulting destruction could destroy all time and space and personally I am not ready to go yet.”

Mita shook her head almost getting the whole idea, “I would be so proud to call you son, you are beyond brilliant, so nothing public or you might not be able to time slip I see.”

“Yes, that plus the fact I have met many of the royals of this time and I have to say that many are no better than common killers,” Charles said almost afraid of how she might act.

Sighing she nodded, “Yes, what you’ve said is very true, unfortunately too many of the royals are becoming power hungry and only want the power.”

A moment later his wrist comp began to beep faintly, telling the empress he had to go, she nodded Charles blinked out, leaving the empress alone with her thoughts. Little did she know that there were a small pair of child like eyes that had been watching her in amazement the realization as the blocked memories flooded her mind. Quietly she left the back of the room she called her play room to look for her sister, she knew that she had been with their father but wasn’t sure now. Ali breathed a sigh of relief wiping all these memories was starting to wear her out, first her sister then her father at least his would stay permanent till the machine could reverse it. Her wrist comp softly beeped alerting her to the fact that Charles was back on board the ship, pressing a button after she made sure she was alone she too blinked and was gone. Melina blinked hard what was her sister? An alien? She knew almost everything that was secret in the palace but this was something new she had to look into. Backing away she turned and started to run when she nearly collided with her father.

Oh darn! Now what Ah! She knew! “Whoa little one where are you off to?” her father asked.

“Oh hi papa, I thought I saw Alatem go this way I wanted to show her my new dress I was thinking of having seamstress to make!” The little girl acted as excited as she could, hoping to convince her father.

“Ah! Another new dress and what pray tell is the occasion this time? Your birthday? No, that’s months away. A ball coming up? No, I don’t recall any. Your Mother’s or my birthday, no we’ve already had ours.” Melina was starting to panic what if papa guessed she’d never be able to keep it a secret she couldn’t lie to her father the only person she loved as much as her mama.

“No papa, I just want to look as pretty as I can for you and mama.” Melina said hoping it would fool her father, gee but the man had a way of ferreting out the truth from her, it was bad enough that her sister didn’t trust her.

Giving her a huge smile he hugged her fiercely, “Thank you for that little Mel, ah, if only your sister was more like you,” shaking his head he moved on to finish up the day.

Aboard the ship Charles was pacing around the control room how could he have been so damn stupid! Still muttering to his self moments later when Alatem arrived he drew a hard stare from her.

“Charles? What’s wrong?” she asked the perplexed look on his face starting to worry her.

“It’s your mother,” Charles blurted out.

“My mother?” Ali said then a sudden look of horror, “How did she find out? What does she know?”

“Apparently a hell of a lot more than we at first thought, she also saw me the last time. She knows that you are in love with me and I you,” Charles said, Alatem’s eyes opened wide her mother knew she love... , Charles loved her?!! He’d never spoken the words as neither had she. Ali’s heart began to beat faster he loved her! A huge smile crossed her face, then was quickly hidden; he’d spoken out of anger and could possibly not remember later on.

Speaking up Alatem asked, “So what are you going to do? We can’t erase mother!”

“At the present I have no such intention, she is a very sly woman who is apparently on our side.”

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close