Toman of the Cherokee
Chapter 3

Copyright© 2017 by Pars001

Atohi left me as he headed back into the village. I was still standing there beside the trail. Today had certainly been an eye opener that was for sure! Thinking about Naci’s naked body I shook my head as I felt parts of my anatomy grow to painful lengths!

<So it appears you have made a new friend this is good. Just remember you are not to reveal who or what you are. Once I have the bubble in place no one will be able to see or feel what we do within it.> I heard Pops in my head. <By the way what the young Atohi said is true they really do beat you. Don’t take the threat lightly!>

My mouth was hanging open when I heard movement behind me on the trail. Several females were coming, stopping a moment to ask if i had seen a pair of males entering the village a short time ago. Still a little dazed I told them no truthfully. The older females looked at me then nodded their heads and moved on. Naci was at the back of the group smiling slightly as she went past.

<So, she is as trusting of you as I thought she might. This is a good thing. Toman we have to do all we can to protect these people. What they are doing for us could guarantee their destruction. I’m sure I don’t have to remind you of that fact!> Pops thoughts came to me again.

<I am doing all I can Pops. Like I said it feels a lot like I have a curse on me or something!> By now I was really starting to get frustrated with everything that had gone on.

<I know I told you I’d look into it, for now try to carry on. Might I suggest that you TRY not to bring attention to yourself anymore?> Pops told me.

<As if I am trying to Pops!> I was almost shouting at him in my mind.

Just then I heard more movement down the trail. Moving back I soon saw several younger males moving toward the village. One in particular drew my attention, Malak with his one arm in a sling. Moving past only a few gave me a heated look, though Malak’s could have melted metal.

Stopping before me he growled, “You will regret not killing me outsider! Your days here are numbered I shall make certain of that!”

I nodded unafraid spitting back, “Only if you are as much of a coward as I think you are and attack me in my sleep!”

This of course drew more than a few snickers from some of the males with him. “We shall see when you are dead at my feet!”

“Not unless you bring a small army because you are afraid to face me again! No I think that you should just sulk away and leave those of us with real honor alone!” I said in an even lower voice again drawing a few snickers.

Malak’s face was red from anger as several of the others dragged him away. I heard many of them whispering to him that I would kill him the way he was. “No, I do not bully or fight the weak and helpless like he does and is!” I snapped out at the few that had spoken.

Their eyes wide they all quickly dragged him past leaving me alone again with my thoughts. Well I thought I was alone with my thoughts as I heard a sigh. <I think I am beginning to see what you mean Toman. Just standing there trouble has found you!> Oh shit! I had forgotten Pops had been ‘talking’ to me.

<See Pops? Told you I never look for it, it just seems to seek me out!> I thought to Pops still seething with anger from the audacity of Malak and his cronies.

<That’s another thing Toman.> Pops told me, <your power has a tendency to be linked to your emotions.>

My mouth dropped open, <Pops are you talking about what I think you are? My god! No wonder the council is trying to kill me!>

<What are you talking about?> I heard Pops question.

<Pops I am not so stupid that even I have heard of the wild power!> I thought back to him then I gasp, <I am a danger to everyone! > Now tears were starting to fall from my eyes. <I am a beast I deserve to di-->

I gasp again as I felt an extra hard slap across my face. Again I was flying across the expanse of the forest. I came to a stop at the feet of Pops, an extremely angry look on his face.

“I am never to hear that crap out of your mouth again do you hear me?! You disrespect your entire family doing it! I am training you; therefore you are no beast though I still reserve the right to end your life if I have to! Now, get your ass up, get more firewood. This time watch where the hell you are going and what you’re doing!”

Picking myself up, I nodded with my head down tears still falling from my eyes. “I’ll do my best Pops.”

I moved off keeping all my thoughts to a minimum. I spent the rest of the day watching several of the older males as they practiced with their bows. Then I watched a few as they were making the same type bows. Gathering up a few pieces of choice wood I started to do as I had watched. Soon I had a rather large bow that I could hardly draw.

Atohi walked up a few moments later his eyes huge. “Toman! What are you doing with that? We are not allowed to have weapons of the adults yet.”

“What are you talking about? I made this, though I am having a little trouble drawing it.” I told him as his eyes got even larger.

“That isn’t possible!” Atohi said astonished. “That skill takes many moons to accomplish!” He took the bow I had made in his hands touching it as if it were a sacred relic! “This is a fine quality weapon! You are joking with me! I see! You found this and were just looking at it!”

‘Uh-- no. I made this it really wasn’t all that hard.” I told Atohi as his mouth fell open even further.

“I must show this to father! It is as fine of work as his are!” Atohi said then stopped when I reached out and snatched the bow from his hands.

“No!” I told Atohi. “I am already considered to be an unusual oddity in the village. I don’t want to make things worse showing a skill that rivals one of the older males.”

“This would bring you great honor!” Atohi said.

“No, it would have those not already against me convinced that I am more evil. We will keep this between the both of us. Possibly later we can say something but not now.” I told Atohi honestly.

Shaking my head I was hoping that he would keep his mouth shut. Knowing my luck though, he’d let it slip easily. Crap I thought I really needed a silence spell! Shaking my head I walked away I could hope anyway!

A few days’ later Pops completed the bubble as he called it. Taking me inside, he waved his hand over me. “I want you to close your eyes, feel inside. Feel all your power, look closer see the energy as it comes out of you.”

I did as Pops said looking inward, then I kept going in ‘til I was to a place where a myriad of colorful strands were coming out of what appeared to be a hole. “I see it Pops, the hole all my power comes from. What do you want me to do?” I felt as if Pops was shocked.

“You can actually see where your power is coming from? Astonishing! You are as far as your father was. Look at your power; I want you to feel the way it vibrates. Good, now I want you to alter it so that it is completely different than what it is right now.” Pops told me.

Nodding I felt the slight vibrations that were there. Reaching out I made the strands vibrate more than the slight vibration they had. I heard Pops gasp then I felt a barrier go around me. “Like that Pops? I asked.

“NO!” I heard him shout. “You have to make them vibrate slightly. The harder they vibrate the easier it will be for them to find you!”

I nodded as I touched each colored strand, each in turn slowing to what they had been. Again I heard Pops gasp when all the strands slowed. Again I touched all of them at the same time feeling them all vibrate slightly different. “There Pops, that better?” I asked.

“I didn’t think you’d get it in the first try. You’ll have to show me how you did it later.” I nodded as I had reached out to Pops seeing all the colors coming from him. Then I noticed something strange. It appeared as if part of Pops power was cut off. Shaking my head I could see that the ability to actually see the power of another was turned off. Shrugging I reached out and gently opened it up then I withdrew, no sense getting smacked again.

We went for a few more hours, Pops showing me how to change my signature. We were finally finished when Pops gasped out. “What in the hell?” Pops suddenly said. “My god! Oh my god! It’s just as he described it!” Then Pops looked directly at me, oh shit! “What have you done to me T Toman?!”

I withdrew afraid that Pops was going to actually kill me now. Shaking I told him, “I-- I’m sorry Pops! I thought you’d want to be able to see. I’m so sorry Pops!” I bowed my head expecting the pain any moment.

“This is what you were telling me. The color strands! My god! Your father used to talk about them! I thought he had lost his mind, I see now! Each strand is a power of a user! My god Toman! You have twice what I do!” Pops said.

“Many of yours are blocked as most mages are.” I told him. “I have never met another with as many open as me. Even the head master doesn’t have as many as you Pops. I am afraid though, opening that one you might discover a few more abilities in the next few days.”

Pops was rubbing his chin as he thought about this. “You have no idea what they might be?” He asked.

“No sorry Pops, I can in a day or two but not right now.” I told him.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close