Lost With Nothing to Lose
17: Retribution

Copyright© 2018 by Vincent Berg

There are times when a battle decides everything
and there are times when the most insignificant thing
can decide the outcome of a battle.

Napoleon Bonaparte

As they left the room, heading back, Al contacted Rollsqmarsh.

A little setback. They’re treating us as suspects, though they have yet to file charges. They’ve sent someone else out to meet with you, hoping to steal our thunder while making us look like the enemy.

Don’t worry,’ he answered. ‘We were anticipating this. These types don’t change their tactics easily. Even Queens don’t retire, they only leave when killed by a younger, stronger Queen. We know how to handle this. We’ll take care of it, and do it in a way they’ll need to reconsider how they’re treating you.

I hope so, for your sake, but we’re not worried about ourselves. We’re still making friends and allies, and we’re sure support is growing throughout the Empire as word of our accomplishments spreads. This will eventually be determined by the people, not by a couple wayward military leaders, no matter their position in the hierarchy.’


Two military security agents entered the gymnasium, filled with volunteers from a cross section of the various ships docked at Torrsin, all working harder than they’d ever approached training before. They stopped to consider the sight, but quickly identified the three humans. Approaching, everyone in the small facility—still holding nearly two hundred battle-hardened warriors—ceased their activities, regarding the agents with suspicion.

“Could you please come with us,” the lead agent asked.

Al turned, despite having anticipated their arrival. “What now? Am I finally under arrest, or are they relenting?”

“We ... can’t discuss it here,” he responded, eyeing the hundreds watching them, trying to determine whether they could defend themselves against so many unarmed warriors.

“Of course not” Al turned, motioning for Betty and Xi to accompany him. The other humans were working with other groups training in the other facilities, including their non-human allies leading exercises in the facility’s hallways. There clearly weren’t enough exercise resources in the entire post.

“We’d prefer it if it was just you,” he asked, sounding more polite than Al was used to from the Torrsin officials.

“These are my wives. Since my military lawyer is useless, not even bothering to keep in touch, I won’t accompany you without them beside me. They deserve to know what you’re planning, as it affects them as much as it does me. Besides, my people will know as soon as you tell me anyway, so you’re not hiding anything from anyone.”

The guards considered each other, and the lead nodded. “Alright. Come along, we need to hurry.”

Al signaled to those working out, telling them to continue. The humans and their allies had kept everyone apprised of their status, which is why everybody was so on edge, and why the guards so nervous. These people were ready for war, and if not allowed to fight the enemy, they were just as willing to battle those opposing them at home.

As they exited, Al turned to Betty, flexing his fists. “How are your hands holding up?”

“They’re still sore, but better than before.”

“Even with the amazing medical services here,” Xi said, examining their hands, “broken bones take time to heal. Punching bone and cartilage isn’t always the wisest thing to do.”

“Maybe not, but sometimes, it’s imperative,” Betty said, glaring at the guards, who didn’t miss the allusion. “When someone wants to hurt you, you do whatever is necessary, and deal with the consequences later.”

“You’ll get no argument from me,” Xi conceded. “I was only explaining why they’re sore. I’d do the same thing, given the opportunity. I’d love to feel their smug faces splinter open under my ‘insignificant’ human hands!”

Their two guards edged a little further from them, sneaking repeated glances at them.

Entering a larger hallway, filled with various species working out with lunges and sprints—who turned as they worked their way around them—Al motioned to Myi and Siss.

“They want to tell us some more amusing stories,” he said, indicating the guards.

“I’ll bet,” Myi answered. “Require any help?”

“Nah, we’ll handle this one on our own, just as we did the other day. You keep training. After all, there’s no telling how soon you may need to put your practice into action.”

She turned to the assembled warriors. “You heard the man, double time. I want to see you ready for combat at a moment’s notice.”

Once clear of the crowd, one of the guards turned to Al. “Is that really necessary? After all, we’re not here to arrest you.”

“Not yet,” Betty cautioned.

“These people have been poorly trained, despite the best efforts by the military authorities. If they don’t keep practicing, they’re unlikely to prevail. We’ve been losing to the enemy for too long for anyone to let up now, especially with victories now in sight.”

Entering a secure portion of the station, the guards led them to a planning room, where they found a Lieutenant and a female Commander waiting for them.

“How goes the negotiations?” Al asked, reaching across the table to shake hands, a custom neither seemed familiar with.

“Alas, not well. We really need your help.”

“Who could have foreseen that?” Xi asked, as the humans sat, leaving the two Tandorians nervously fidgeting behind the desk.

“Captain Grrsk met them at your rendezvous point, at the scheduled time,” the new Commander Toblin, explained, not acknowledging their implications. “After some awkward introductions—where the Zssizliq expressed open hostility—Grrsk, struggling with his language skills, made several gaffes, upsetting them further. Panicking, one of the bridge personnel initiated a laser pulse at their ship, after which all hell broke loose.”

“Grrsk’s vessel was quickly incapacitated,” Lieutenant LLyzinkyl continued. “Instead of killing our men and destroying the ship, as is their usual practice, they took everyone captive, excluding those killed in the brief engagement.”

“The single shot we did get off—patterned after your earlier successful encounter—didn’t have any impact,” Toblin explained, sounding exasperated. “We have no clue whether they suffered any injuries at all. We didn’t have time to initiate any further actions.”

“It’s all in the timing,” Al said. “You can’t make that type of shot when you’re rushed, which they’d know if they had examined our records and listened to our debriefing.”

“The Zssizliq then issued a statement to the military command here on Torrsin, having guessed where the ship originated from. They demanded to meet with you to exchange their captives, warning that an inability to comply with their terms would result in the deaths of every survivor.”

“And what was Admiral Brskll’s response?” Al asked pointedly, glancing around the otherwise empty table.

“He’s currently considering his options,” they cautioned. “This is not an easy choice for any of us.”

“Seems simple to me,” Xi ventured. “You got spanked for pulling a fast one, and now you’re trying to shift the blame for your terrible decision.”

“What do you expect us to do?” Al asked, getting to the heart of the issue.

“We’d like you to send a personal response to the Zssizliq,” Toblin said, “confirming that you’ll meet at their agreed date, at the same location, to accept their hostages.”

“Prisoners of War,” Betty corrected. “They were captured during a hostile attack, initiated by the Tandorian Empire. They’re hardly innocent victims.”

“Will you do it?” LLyzinkyl pressed, not acknowledging Betty’s response.

“Not until I hear from Admiral Brskll,” Al said. “Until I speak with him, I can’t honestly convey the offer is valid. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity, and I’m not going to flush the entire Tandorian Empire’s future down the tubes by lying to them. Not only would it destroy this one opportunity, but it’ll likely provoke a horrific response we aren’t prepared to defend against.”

“We’ll pass on your concern,” Toblin acknowledged.

“Good. I’ve already notified our communications officer, Zita. Since she’s familiar with them and their transmissions, she’s better able to handle the message. She’s on her way.”


“Ah, you’re here,” Admiral Brskll said as Al entered. “There’s no sense sitting, this will be brief. While I appreciate your setting up a new negotiation, you won’t be the one going on this one either.”

Betty and Xi gasped, but Al’s voice dropped to a low whisper, forcing everyone else to lean in to hear.

“That’s not what we agreed to, Admiral. You expressly assured me I’d be handling the negotiations. The Zssizliq insisted they’ll kill every prisoner if you tried to replace me again.”

“That’s all true,” he said, glancing down at his data packet, “but it only applies if we were really going there to negotiate.”

“What, precisely, are you planning then?”

Looking up, he scowled at Al, ignoring the others. “It’s clear, based on their actions, that they’re not treating this seriously. They’re hoping to pull another one over on you, rather than dealing with someone capable of making the policy changes necessary in these matters.”

“They seem deadly serious to me, though your attitude is anything but. I still don’t think you grasp the delicate nature of this situation.”

“No,” he insisted, leaning forward. “I realize the exact nature of the situation, though I’m not as confused by Zssizliq as you. These disgusting insects don’t respond rationally, as you keep asserting. Instead, they only react to fear and superior might!”

“Both of which they have on their side,” Al interjected, meeting his glare.

Looking away, Brskll continued. “Instead of going there to negotiate, we’re taking the entire fleet. Rather than finding a single ship containing someone willing to do whatever they demand, we’ll let our superior forces speak for us. When they see our ships allied against them, with no way out other than their abject surrender, they’ll quickly fold.”

“They’ve never done so in the past, and chances are, they’ll treat this act of treachery with open hostility, slaughtering every one of your captured personnel. If you cared about your people half as much as the Zssizliq do theirs, you wouldn’t attempt anything this stupid.”

Brskll spun, glaring at Al again, both men ignoring everyone else in the room. “We’ll see how stupid this is when it succeeds. The plan is perfect; there’s no way it can fail! Even if they arrive with several ships, prepared to fight, they won’t have near the number we do. They’ll be sitting ducks.” Brskll nodded at the two security officers standing behind Al. “These men will accompany you out. Other agents are already gathering your companions, restricting you to your quarters until this is over. The corridors, exercise and practice areas will be cleared for necessary services only. Anyone found congregating without specific orders will be shot! Once again, I don’t plan to negotiate with anybody who doesn’t respect what we represent. You’ll either do what’s expected, or find yourself shipped back to Tandor in a small metal cage to stand public trial, exposed as the fraud you are. You don’t want to challenge me, because you’ll lose every time.”

The two military police standing by the door—those who’d escorted the humans in already having left—grasped Al’s arms and led him to the door. “We’ll talk when this is over,” the Admiral called after them. “When you can apologize for your naïveté and record a public confession to be transmitted to the Emperor. Until then, I don’t want to hear another peep out of you, or any of your deluded followers!”

As he and the others were led out—none too gently—Al communicated with his Zssizliq contact. ‘Rollsqmarsh, I’ve got some bad news. The Tandorians are once again subverting my efforts, preparing a trap. You should abandon our planned meeting.’

What are they planning, and are you and your people Okay?

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close