Shiloh
Chapter 02: Tricky Trip

Copyright© 2005 Ernest Bywater & R. Michael Lowe aka The Scot

Just before ten-thirty of the Saturday morning Jonas enters the study attached to his office. He locks the door and goes to the hidden safe, opens it, and removes a sapphire ring. He moves to the bookcase to the left of the doorway where he touches three small spots on the inside of one of the bookcases in a set order and the entire bookshelf opens into another room. He enters then he presses the release to close the entrance.

This hidden room is a workshop where he repairs old weapons and builds new ones. Underneath one corner of the workbench is a small almost undetectable switch. When he flips the switch the edge of a shelf unit extends itself out like a pocket door, but where the door normally is located there’s only a frame. He slips on the sapphire ring from the safe because it’s needed to activate the portal. Walking though the frame Jonas vanishes from the room. He feels the familiar twisting then finds himself in the greeting room on Crossroads.

The scene before Jonas is very different from the bleak white walls he normally sees. A door opens and MariLynn rushes into his arms. After they kiss and lovingly refresh their memories of each others basic frame MariLynn leads him into the lounge room where he finds a small love-seat facing a fireplace. As they sit a fire starts itself in the fireplace and MariLynn speaks to the empty room to order two black coffees.

Surprised at the new look Jonas asks, “What’s going on?”

His Caretaker smiles and asks, “Did you know Gerald Jones?”

“Yes. We were friends on Earth, as well as on Chaos.”

“His nephew, Sid, discovered there are instruction books which we’d never seen. These have expanded our understanding of this place as well as our role as Caretakers. There are instruction books for Heroes and Companions as well.”

“I’d very much like to have the ones for Heroes and Companions. I also need to warn you Kyle’s next trip will likely be his last with me as a Companion. I believe he’s about ready to begin his own journey as a Hero, though there may be a complication. I believe he’s just found his true soul-mate and she has the power to stop him from coming. Fortunately, I don’t think she will.”

MariLynn’s head is lying against Jonas’ chest while his arms hold her tight against him. She gives a soft reply, “That’s good, because we need all the Heroes we can get.”

Jonas picks up fear in her voice. This is something he’s never seen in all the years she’s been his Caretaker. He pulls her face to him and gives her a deep, loving kiss. When they release he asks, “MariLynn, is there something going on I need to be aware of?”

“It’s something we were beginning to get a hint of before Gerald died. As the months have progressed we’ve learned we’ve a major problem with a slavery ring that involves as many as ten thousand. Since then we’ve lost six Heroes on Chaos and two more on Earth. We doubt those on Earth are connected but there does seem to be some question as to their actual cause of death.”

“How are we going to handle it? No Hero can defeat those kinds of odds and my understanding is Heroes are forbidden to work together.”

“Right now we’re doing a lot of analysis and planning. While you have Shiloh, which is similar to a Spanish Hacienda, Gerald had his Citadel, which is a fortified town set closer to the southern mountains. It’ll now become his nephew’s and we’re hoping to use it as a gathering place for Heroes, each of whom will raise their own army to lead it against the enemy. In your case we’d like you to use Shiloh to raise a cavalry unit. As for Heroes working together, there aren’t any rules preventing the coordination of individual efforts.”

“That makes sense, and so does the idea of cavalry. Other than the Rider Clan I’ve the finest horses on Chaos. We can scout, harass, and turn their flank in major battles. Also, their foot soldiers have never seen an organized cavalry charge with either lances or sabers. The one extra item I can see us needing is a company of archers equipped with longbows. That’s something my grandson can do a great job in developing for us.”

“Then I’m very excited. Come, let’s go to bed and discuss it more in the morning.”

During the night the couple’s lovemaking is slow and very gentle. Jonas takes longer than normal to prepare her, even though she’s much more responsive and easier to stimulate than Earth women. After their first time they’re both aware of his distraction.

“Jonas, you seem distracted. Have I done something wrong?”

“No, my dear, you’ve done nothing wrong. You’re right though, I’m a little distracted. I apologize because you deserve all my attention and that’s been hard for me to give tonight.”

Concerned, MariLynn asks, “Can I ask what’s distracted you?”

“Certainly. When I came here this morning I was sure I’d only be able to go on three or four more missions. I was fearful of the time when I must stop coming because you are such an important part of my life. I love you so much and tonight I realized just how perfect we are together. In spite of that I can’t stay here or go to Cassandra and you can’t come to Earth. I now feel my life will probably end soon after I stop coming to see you.” He stops, in thought, for a moment.

He adds, “Unfortunately, MariLynn, your news regarding a slaver war brings new and very different challenges for me to face. I’ve never been afraid of a rescue mission but I’m now fearful I could die on Chaos and will fail in my mission.”

MariLynn cringes at both thoughts, but realizes Jonas is probably correct in his initial analysis. He probably won’t last long after he stops coming to see her, and suddenly she realizes her feelings for him are identical. At that moment she vows she’ll study the Guidebooks with great care and discuss the situation with her supervisor. Who knows? Maybe she can find a way for them to be together.

For the next few minutes MariLynn works hard to help Jonas shove those feelings aside so they can enjoy each other. When they’re both satiated she snuggles close and goes to sleep in his arms.

The next morning the couple pick up where they left off. After they finish their lovemaking MariLynn leads Jonas into the shower. Here they play a bit as well as thoroughly washing each other.

At breakfast Jonas asks, “With everything happening involving the slavers is there a mission for me on this trip?”

“There is one we set aside just for you. It’s close to Riverview and involves a man named LaMas who’s enslaved a Damsel named Bethany Bookkeeper. He’s not actually a member of this Slaver Guild but he’s taking her to a slave auction run by the Guild. They’ll pass through some woods along the river while searching for a hidden ford that’s often used by the Guild. Because of the ford there’s likely be Guild members in the woods, but you should be able to escape on your fast steeds. I’d suggest you have one of your ranch hands in town to grab the horses when you arrive at the bank. You can return here while he takes the horses back to Shiloh.”

“And when should they arrive at the general area we’re discussing?”

“Just prior to lunch tomorrow.”

“Then, my love, I guess I must carry on. I need to get to the bank and to Shiloh today. When I return I’ve a potential Hero I need to discuss with you. His situation is rather unique but he’d be a great addition to us, especially now. If there’s anyone who can give us more answers it might be good to have them join us.”

“I’ll see what I can do. I love you, my Hero. Please be careful. Things are so mixed up and confused at the moment we’re all worried. So please examine and plan everything well before you do anything.”

Jonas dresses for Chaos, holds her close to give her a deep, heartfelt kiss before he turns and goes through the portal.


In the bank in the town of Riverview, on a planet known as Chaos, Jonas sticks his finger in the appropriate slot and seconds later a six feet by three feet by eighteen inch box appears on the table beside him. He opens it and removes a sword resembling a cavalry saber. He takes out two twelve inch dirks and places them in special sheaths built into each of his boots.

After acquiring the weapons Jonas begins to feel less vulnerable. He slips on a vest of thick leather and sheep’s wool, plus a tunic of fine mesh chain-mail, and a leather shirt. He selects a heavier knife and fastens its harness so the knife can be drawn by reaching behind his right ear. Finally, he pulls out a prepared money pouch and attaches it to his belt, hiding it behind the silk sash he ties around his waist.

He goes to the door and asks to speak to the manager. Moments later a well-dressed man enters the room. Noticing the weapons Jonas carries the manager becomes more attentive asking, “How can I serve you, Sir?”

“Sir, I’ve used the services of your bank for many years, both with my account and with my storage box. Soon I may be making a long journey and it could be years before I return, if ever. Is there a way to transfer my account and my box to my grandson?”

“It’s an unusual request but it has happened before and there is a provision for it. Your account will not be a problem but he’ll need his own storage box. In such situation like this your box will be destroyed as soon as its contents are removed. If you will give me just a few minutes I’ll set things up for you,” the banker replies before he leaves the room to make the arrangements.

About five minutes later the manager returns carrying a medallion on a chain. He says, “If your grandson comes to me with this and gives me the code-word we’ll transfer your account and move everything in your box over to his. Just have him ask for Klovus Hissup when he arrives. What do you want to use for the code-word?”

It only takes Jonas a moment to decide, “It’ll be Old Sam and Mose!”

“That’s a strange code-word, but it’s one not one easily guessed by others, which is good. Is there anything else I can do for you?”

“Yes. Who can I see about transferring title to land?”

“Is it around here?”

“It’s less than a half-day’s walk.”

“Then I can handle it. Do you want it also to go to your grandson?”

“Yes, I will.”

Klovus replies, “Then have him bring the existing papers and I can do it at the same time.”

“There could be a problem as the papers are maintained elsewhere. He’ll likely have to open his new account and move the contents of my box first, then bringing the papers on the property in at a later time.”

“I don’t see a problem with that. Anything else?”

Jonas answers, “No, and thank you. You’ve been most helpful.”

Klovus leaves the room while Jonas closes the box lid, which sends the box back into storage. He stuffs a small ball of scented bees wax up each nostril to ease the stench of the medieval town and exits the bank.

Jonas walks down the dusty street to the stables where he finds an old man moving fresh straw into empty stalls. Approaching the old man Jonas asks, “Joseph, how’s War Bonnet?”

“Oh, Master Jonas! I didn’t know you were back. He’s doing fine. I paid off my niece’s indenture with the money you left for that purpose. Because of your help freeing her she makes taking care of her savior’s horse something very important and she’s been exercising and brushing him every day.”

A pleased Jonas replies, “Can you have her saddle him for me?”

“As soon as she gets back. I sent her to the store for some saddle soap, but she hasn’t returned yet.”

Sensing concern in the old man’s voice Jonas asks, “Is she late?”

“A little, yes.”

“Joseph, if you’re concerned please feel free to ask for my help.”

“Yes, Sire.” After pausing to get the wording correct he asks, “Master Jonas, would you please check on my niece and make sure she’s safe?”

“Yes, Joseph, I’ll be glad to.”

Jonas walks back into town. When he approaches the store from the opposite side of the street he notices two thugs loitering around the entrance. He cautiously continues his stroll down the street, appearing not to give the store or the men a glance. This is especially hard when he hears one of men mention the name LaMas. At the next alley he turns to the right and moves back toward the store’s rear door. Jonas is not very surprised to find it’s also guarded. Staying in the shadows Jonas backs away. When he reaches the entrance to the alley he moves further away from the main street then he jogs back to the stables.

When Jonas arrives back at the barn with concern on his face Joseph asks, “Master Jonas, is anything wrong?”

“There’s something going on at the store. I need an old blanket, some old sandals plus a big, well-worn hat like a poor old man would wear. I also need one or two youths we can trust to keep watch on the men in and around the store.” He pauses for a moment, “Please send a rider to Shiloh for Nathan or one of his sons. I need whoever comes to wait for me at the inn, but they’re not to acknowledge or approach me if any strangers are in the room. If he’s unable to meet with me in the tavern he’ll need to slip upstairs to the back room when no one’s looking.”

Concerned, Joseph replies, “I’ll take care of these things for you. Will my niece be all right?”

“I’ll do my best, old friend. Do you still have the big box I gave you to keep?”

Joseph points at a side room while he replies, “Yes, Master Jonas. It’s in that room, under the old saddles and things in need of repair.”

Jonas walks to the rear entrance of the stables. Its double doors open out into a large pasture area. Though he doubts the bird even exists on Chaos he whistles a perfect imitation of a whippoorwill. Moments later a fine looking stallion, black with three white stockings and a white star on his forehead, breaks away from the other animals to trot to the barn. The man and beast greet each other almost as lovers.

The horse edges as close to Jonas as he can. In response Jonas gently rubs the star on War Bonnet’s forehead and strokes his neck. While Jonas talks to him the horse keeps rubbing his shoulder against Jonas’ body and nuzzling his nose against Jonas’ neck, arm, and hand. It’s obvious there’s a very special bond between them.

Jonas whispers into War Bonnet’s ear, “Oh, you’ve missed me, have you? Well, I’ve missed you too. Now, my four-legged friend, we’ve much work to do for the next few days.” The horse excitedly nods as if he understands every word. Who knows? The way he anxiously shifts his weight from one foot to another and back again, maybe he does!

When Jonas breaks away and heads to retrieve his hidden box War Bonnet follows close behind. Carefully moving the broken items Jonas finds the long wooden crate he’d previously left with Joseph. This hidden cache is one of the secrets to Jonas’ years of success. He has many loyal followers, like Joseph, whom he’s helped in one way or another, and many of these hide weapons and money for his future use. Jonas also helps these, and others, by either purchasing a stable, inn, or other business or farm or investing in their existing operation, giving them an opportunity to make improvements or to expand. For those like Joseph, where Jonas is the real owner, he accepts only a small portion of their earnings as his rent.

Opening the box Jonas sorts through different items until he makes some decisions. Picking up the first item he fastens a leather band on the outside of his left upper arm. It contains three throwing spikes with razor sharp points at either end. A similar band with five spikes goes on his right thigh. He removes the knife from his right shoulder and moves it to his front chest with the handle angled down for easy access by either hand. From the box he removes a similar knife and attaches it to his belt. It’s put horizontally in the small of his back with the handle pointed toward his right side. These knives were made by Jonas at the ranch’s forge and they’re the closest thing to a real Bowie knife he could make based on the materials and technology available to use on Chaos. They’re slightly longer than fourteen inches, including the nine-inch blades, but the knife’s balance makes its almost three pounds feel like a few ounces. The primary and secondary cutting edges are like a surgeon’s scalpel. The large guard above the handle has an upward curve at the top and a downward one at the bottom. They’re designed to either capture the opponent’s blade or to angle it away from the body of the knife wielder. There’s also a strip of soft brass running down the knife’s spine from the end of the secondary, or false, edge to the guard. This will often catch the opponent’s blade, even if only for a part of a second, thus throwing the enemy’s timing off just a bit to make the attacker vulnerable to a counter-attack for a brief moment of time.

Jonas takes off the chain with the medallion Klovus the Banker gave him and puts it in his pocket. He removes a metal chain necklace and medallion from the box to place the necklace around his neck. The medallion looks like an image of the sun but is a shuriken: a Japanese throwing star. The chain also has some unique characteristics as it fastens behind the neck with two small pieces of wood and when grabbed correctly the necklace becomes a garrote with the two pieces of wood forming the handles which fit between his fingers.

The last items Jonas removes from the box are a small but unusual crossbow along with some extra bolts. The bow’s effective range is less than twenty-five feet but it’s actually three bows fitted together. He attaches the leather band containing nine bolts to the left side of his belt and hangs the crossbow from a lanyard he stretches from his left shoulder to just above his belt on his right side. If he lets his right arm drop naturally the crossbow is at his fingertips.

Jonas packs everything else back into the box and is returning it to its original hiding place when Joseph returns with the things requested.

Joseph immediately notices the weapons changes and he becomes very frightened. He asks, “My master is preparing for war?”

“Joseph, when you don’t have sufficient intelligence on the situation you prepare for whatever the enemy is capable of, not for what you think he’s likely to do.” While throwing his saddle on War Bonnet’s back Jonas asks, “Do you have a pewter mug I can use?”

“Yes, Master Jonas. I’ll bring it right away.”

Jonas finishes saddling War Bonnet. From one of the saddlebags he takes a black silk piece that fits comfortably over War Bonnet’s upper forehead to hide the star and give the horse a more formidable look. There are also four matching leg pieces. These cover the three white areas on his lower legs called socks. Finally, he removes an object from the back of the saddle. Unrolling what looks like a bedroll he reveals a black silk cape with a scarlet red lining and a black, wide-brimmed felt hat. Jonas fastens the cape around his shoulders. Donning the hat he pulls it low on his forehead; thus hiding his face in the shadow. When Joseph returns with the mug he almost drops it. His Master is none other than the legendary Warrior, a man so feared by his enemies, and revered by his friends, that his name is seldom spoken, other than in a whisper.

Jonas takes the blanket and cuts a hole in the middle to make it into a poncho. Placing it over Joseph’s head he ties a piece of rope around the waist and places the hat low on Joseph’s face. He removes a piece of cork from his saddle bag and goes to the forge area. Here he burns the end and smears several strategic streaks on Joseph’s face.

Deciding it’s the best he can do under the circumstances, Jonas instructs Joseph about how he wants him walking slumped over while keeping his eyes focused downward with his face hidden by the wide brim of the straw hat while he shuffles along the street not saying a word or acknowledging anyone.

“Joseph,” Jonas explains, “I want all in the town to see this shuffling, weak, old man wandering around like he doesn’t have good sense. If someone thinks you’re a poor beggar, so much the better. When the sun’s dropped one hand you’re to be behind the inn waiting for my signal.”

“I’ll try, Master, though I don’t understand.”

“Joseph, I won’t lie to you. I’m pretty sure your niece, as well as this town, is in major trouble. My success in freeing both will depend on your acting ability. When everyone’s convinced you’re a harmless old man we’ll trade places. It’s called role camouflage, letting the enemy see what he expects to see. Now go start your walk through town.”

After Joseph leaves Jonas places the mug in his bedroll, fastens his saber to his saddle, and checks everything. To add to his disguise Jonas picks up a few handfuls of dust and spreads the dust over War Bonnet’s velvety black coat as well as his own clothes. When he’s satisfied he and the horse look like they’ve been on the road for days he checks out the back door for anyone watching.

Satisfied he’s not being observed Jonas climbs astride War Bonnet and moves to just outside the back doors of the stables. He makes another a quick check of the area and urges War Bonnet into a canter. When they reach the rear of the pasture the gallant steed speeds into a gallop to sail over the fence and race down a trail through the woods. This little used trail goes around behind the village to meet the main road on the other side of the village. A short time later Jonas reenters the town, but from a different direction.

The horse and rider stop in front of the inn, Jonas gets down from War Bonnet and ties him to the hitching post. Removing his saber from the saddle he places it on his belt. He loosens the saddle’s cinch then strides through the front door. At the sight of the black hat covering his eyes and the black cape with red lining the place goes dead silent. He walks to the innkeeper and says, “I need a room, some food, and beer.”

The inn keeper responds, “I’ve only one room available. It’s upstairs, in the back. It’s one quad a day, including food and drink.”

After handing the innkeeper the coin Jonas takes the offered key and says, “I’ll take it. I’m tired, hungry, and thirsty. Can you please have the food and beer brought to my room as soon as possible? Also have someone take my horse to the stable.”

“Right away, Sir.”

An exhausted-looking Jonas starts toward the steps. Turning back to the innkeeper he says, where everyone can hear, “Please hurry with the food and drink. I’m hungry, I’ve been riding for a long time and I’m exhausted. I want to sleep till sometime tomorrow. Woe to the man who disturbs my sleep.” Jonas resumes his trek up the stairs and down the hall to the last room on the right.

What no one else knows is this is his room. It’s never rented to other guests because Jonas is the innkeeper’s partner; it was his money that helped the man get started. Unlocking the door Jonas goes inside the room, where he removes his cape, hat, and boots. He takes the crossbow from the lanyard and lifts the lanyard over his shoulders. Finally, he removes the saber and puts it on the bed. After pulling a rocking chair over near the bed Jonas sits down in it, propping his feet against the bed frame.

A few minutes later there’s a knock at the door. Removing the Bowie knife from his back Jonas asks, “Who is it?”

“Your food, Sir. Also, Nathan is here to see you.”

Jonas unlocks the door, steps to the side away from the opening, and uses his left hand to open the door. The innkeeper and Nathan, his ranch manager, enter the room, and close the door. “Was the hallway clear?” Jonas asks while he bolts the door.

Thomas, the innkeeper, nods in response as he asks, “What’s going on, Master Jonas? You walk in with that cape and hat, and most of the people want to crawl under the table. Then you act like you don’t know me or anyone here.”

Jonas takes the tankard of beer and sits it on the table next to the rocker. Using a spoon he begins to eat the excellent stew and bread, while he replies, “Thomas, it appears we’ve got a serious problem here in Riverview because I suspect slavers are trying to take over the town. Have any strangers arrived in the past two days?”

“Yes, Sire. Three men brought a young woman in and met with four other men who were waiting in the tavern. The leader and the woman are in the middle room, with the two who traveled with him in the front. The four they met are in the room next door. Other than being a little rough with the woman none of them have caused any problems.”

Jonas looks thoughtful before he says, “Unfortunately, I think that’s about to change. Three of them have taken over the store and appear to be holding at least one woman inside.”

The frightened innkeeper asks, “What should we do?”

“Thomas, you know who the good men in this town are. Cautiously advise them to send their wives and daughters to stay at Shiloh. It’ll have to be done quickly and carefully with no one looking like they’re taking a trip. There should be plenty of provisions at Shiloh, including bedding and clothes.”

Nathan adds, “We can withstand a siege for several months.”

Jonas continues, “Good. As for the men, Thomas, the best riders and archers should try to slip off with the women. Some of the men can appear to be going off on a hunt, but, for the others, I suggest no one take anything more than he normally takes for a walk.”

Turning to his foreman Jonas asks, “Nathan, have our riders seen other strangers in the past five suns, especially near the river?”

“Yes, Sire. In the past two days they’ve counted twenty men moving around the forest near the river. They seem to be trying to quietly wait for someone, like...”

“Like an ambush?”

“Yes, that’s the word you taught me.”

“Good. If I don’t get to Shiloh this trip please tell the boys they did a good job.”

“That will please them, Sire. You’re good to your people and they appreciate it. They all desire to add to your happiness and to make you proud of them.”

“I’m glad they feel that way. Normally I just try to treat people like I would want to be treated. Now, did you come alone?”

“Dana rode in with me.”

“How is your son? He must be sixteen summers, now.”

Nathan smiles at his lord remembering, “Yes, Sire, you’re correct. He’s already a man, well trained for battle, yet wise enough to know when to fight and when not to.”

“Nathan, you’re indeed blessed to have such a son. I wish my own son was such. Send him back to Shiloh to warn your wife and our men of those coming. He’ll need to take the ridge trail. When he’s on his way find old Joseph behind the inn. He’ll be wearing an old poncho and hat. Have him remove his disguise and bring it when you slip him in here. I’ll want you and Thomas to join us.”

“I will take care of it, Sire.”

“Thomas, get started with the men and women, but come back to me as soon as you’ve told Sara. You’re blessed with a very good wife, as is Nathan, so use her to help you. Women gossip frequently so it’ll be less noticeable for them to whisper on the street than for men. When you return please bring me another serving of everything. It was excellent.”

“Yes, Sire. I’ll talk to Sara immediately. Because Nathan came in we can say someone at Shiloh needs her help.”

Jonas carefully lets the two men out then quietly sits there, deep in thought, Twenty men set an ambush in the same location where Crossroads had told him to find the Damsel. Add to that the fact the ones I’m looking for came here to Riverview rather than crossing the river. Something is definitely rotten in Denmark. The thing that bothers me the most is their blatant actions at the store. Are they that arrogant, or is something else at work here? And if there is something else going on, what is it, and why?

A few minutes later there’s another knock at the door and Thomas says, “Sire, I’ve the additional food and beer you requested.” Jonas opens the door and the three men slip inside. Thomas adds, “I’m going to need to hurry. Things are really picking up downstairs with many strangers, and several are very upset there are no beds available.”

Jonas replies, “I understand. Did you get the women out?”

“We’re working on it, but Sara is trying to fix plenty of food before she leaves. We’ve sent word to the miller, asking for his two sons to help serve. Ten women and six men have already slipped out of town.”

“Good, then I need to quickly explain something to the three of you. When I finish Thomas can return downstairs. Then the rest of us can talk for a few minutes longer.”

Jonas pauses while he scans their faces and says, “What I want to cover is Kyle, my grandson. Nathan is the only one of you who’s met him because he’s spent quite some time at Shiloh. Unfortunately, I’ve never introduced him to you. He’ll soon start traveling here and is to be treated as you would treat me. In addition, if he tells you I’ve gone on my final journey all the property and agreements need to be transferred over to him. When he arrives he’ll come either here or to the stables.”

Joseph asks, “But how will we know him?”

“Picture me thirty years younger with a fresh shave, sandy hair, and blue-gray eyes. He’s a little shorter and lighter than me, but you can definitely see the relationship. The first time he comes here he’ll be wearing buckskin colored like the season. If it’s winter it’ll be natural and rough, spring will be green, summer will be a lighter tan, and fall will be reddish like the leaves on the trees. Also, if you look behind his left ear or under his left arm you’ll see a scar.”

“Then we shouldn’t have any problems spotting him.”

“Good! Thomas, you need to return below, but keep a listening ear.”

“Yes, Sire.”

Jonas unbolts the door for Thomas, re-bolting it after he leaves. Jonas listens at the door for a moment before returning to the others. Sitting back in the rocking chair Jonas says, “Joseph, find the young men you had watching the store and very quietly bring them here.”

“Yes, Sire.”

“Nathan, ride like the wind to Shiloh. Bring back two smaller riders wearing gray hoods and capes with someone about my size with one of my spare capes and hats. I also want ten archers on horseback. The archers are to be stationed in an ambush at the bridge about three miles from where the road north takes a sharp left turn. I also need you to bring me two matching hoods and capes for the women, along with similar horses. If I don’t answer the door leave the clothes on the horses, and tie them up behind the inn.” He pauses to think, and adds, “You need to hide in wait at the turn to watch for us because we should leave here sometime before dawn. We’ll meet you around the turn and follow you into the trees. Our replacements will continue down the road, leading our pursuers into the trap. Instruct the archers to shoot no more than twice and then to disappear, along with the decoys. The four of us will split up on the way back, with you taking Joseph’s niece to Shiloh and me taking the other woman to a place of safety. By the time any of the survivors are able to return to town the girl and I should be long gone from Riverview.”

“It is a good plan, Sire, but why all the caution?”

“There’s something going on that greatly bothers me. I don’t know all of the truth yet, but, from what I suspect, all of this activity was set up to have me killed. They may yet succeed, which is why I went into the details concerning Kyle.” Removing the chain and medallion from his pants Jonas adds, “Hold this for him, Nathan. There’s no one here I trust more than you and this is the key to the kingdom.”

“I will do as you say, Sire. Do you think we’ve war coming?”

“Nathan, my friend, I’d bet on it!”

“Then I’ll start expanding our operations and increasing our riders. My Clan is very interested in having some of our people learn from you. We’ll find hidden areas in the hills to grow food and move all of the excess into the ice caves.”

“That sounds good,” replies Jonas

“What kind of soldiers should we look for?”

“Mostly archers and riders. I want a small company of infantry, but much of our war will be fought with the horse and the bow. Train craftsmen to make the longbow and the ’arrow that turns.’ Send men to look for more of the ’trees that poison,’ and buy as much heavy silk thread as possible for the strings of those bows.”


Note: The ‘arrow that turns’ is one with a three edged point and three feather fletches. The edges of the point and the fletches have a coordinated angle causing the arrow to spin in flight like a bullet fired through a rifled barrel. The ‘trees that poison’ are the yew, the preferred wood used for the English and Welsh Longbow.


Jonas thinks some more, then he adds, “If the enemy gets close graze the cattle in some of the box canyons leading off our valley. If attacked stampede the cattle into their soldiers, using our herds as shock troops. Also, in preparation for future battles increase the height of our outer wall and add several inner walls. Replace the roofs of any of our buildings that aren’t roofed with overlapping clay tiles. This will make it harder for them to burn us out. Think of what they might do and develop counter-measures. They’ll probably come up with something entirely different, but you’ll have at least narrowed their options.”

“Thank you, Sire, for your wisdom. I’ve already learned much. We’ll do everything we can to protect Shiloh for you.”

“Nathan, protect Shiloh for you! It may belong to me and eventually to Kyle, but it’s your home, not ours. You’re not fighting on my behalf. You’re fighting for your families, their freedom, and their future. If it gets too bad grab your families and flee. The buildings can be rebuilt and the stock can be replaced. Your families can not, so keep them safe!”

“My lord, you humble me with your words yet your heart gives me strength and courage. It’d be wise of the enemy to leave Shiloh alone.”

“Nathan, I sincerely hope so, but I doubt they will. In my home there was once a place similar to ours. It was a lovely land of peaceful valleys of fertile soil and sweet water. Eventually two armies fought there in what became known as the Battle of Shiloh. It was one of the bloodiest battles ever fought in my country, and I don’t want your families caught in the middle of something like that. Now, you’d better leave. I’ve more to do in preparing for tomorrow and I’ll need those horses and capes here long before the cock crows.”

Soon after Nathan leaves Joseph returns with two young lads. Again the hallway is checked before Jonas lets them in and he re-bolts his door once they’re inside. The two boys are introduced to Jonas, but their mouths hang open in awe.

Jonas asks one boy, “Were you watching the front, Son, or the rear?”

“We alternated so the men wouldn’t get suspicious. Just before dark a man came from the inn and told them something. Afterward the man from the back went inside then a few minutes later he and the other three men dragged Joseph’s niece from the rear of the store and down a path to a campsite near the river.”

“Did she seem OK?”

“Her hands were tied and her feet hobbled like a horse. She also had a rag tied around her mouth. She could only make grunting noises.”

“Did anyone check inside the store after they left?”

The one named Billy sadly looks down and says, “I did. The old shopkeeper and his family are all dead.”

Jonas turns to the other boy, “Did you follow them while Billy was inside the store?”

“Yes, Sire. I figured that was what you would want me to do.”

“It was. Can you take me there, in a bit?”

“Yes, Sire. My father and sister are at home having dinner. They know I’m out doing some work for Joseph.”

“Can you ride a horse?”

“No, but I want to learn.”

“Get your parent’s permission and Joseph here will see you get to learn and have a horse to ride. Joseph, slip down to the kitchen and get these boys some food. Billy, if you need to run home go ahead, but after you get some food. Joseph, I need you to take War Bonnet down to the stable to give him some oats and brush him down good. I’ll meet you and the lad there, but remember, I’ll still need to ride him before morning.”

When Jonas finishes giving them instructions he opens his coin purse. He gives each boy two pinches for their watching, and another for using their heads when the men left with the girl. They thank him profusely before Joseph leads them downstairs.

As soon as he re-bolts the door Jonas goes to his saddlebags to pull out a pair of moccasins and the pewter mug he borrowed from Joseph. Since he removed his boots when he first came into the room he simply has to slip on the moccasins. Still carrying the mug he goes to a blank spot on the wall, triggers a release, and opens a hidden door. He leaves the door mostly open, for light, when he enters a hidden area built between the rooms and the outer wall. In silence he slowly works his way down the narrow passageway.

At the room next to him he hears nothing, and from the cracks along the floors there’s no light in the room. He moves on to the second room where he hears two voices, one male and one female. Jonas can’t pick out all the words, even with the mug to help amplify the sounds, but it’s obvious the two aren’t lovers. Finally he hears the man slap the woman then he slams the door when he leaves the room.

Listening carefully Jonas uses the mug to help isolate and enhance sounds from the other side of the wall, and determines the woman is lying on the bed just a few inches away.

Jonas says softly, “Bethany Bookkeeper of Cassandra, stay calm, and don’t shout.”

“Who are you?” she whispers.

“I am the Hero from Earth come to rescue you. My name’s Jonas. What are your conditions at the moment?”

“Actually, until a few minutes ago I was being treated decently. My hands are tied, but in the front. Right now my feet are untied, but earlier they had them tied too. When Gobar leaves me he always sends one of his men to stand guard beside the door.”

“You said things have changed. Do you know what has happened?”

“They abducted me, not only to sell me in the slave market, but as bait for a Hero who has a place near here. Today some of the men with Gobar attacked the store and kidnapped a girl, again to try to lure this Hero into a trap.”

“Do you know why they want to do this?”

“They want his place as a base of operations for this area and they plan on killing him to claim the property as is their right. Are you going to still rescue me?”

“Definitely, but it will be closer to morning. I’m going to try to rescue the other girl first, because I think she’s in more immediate danger.”

The Damsel responds, “Please be careful. I don’t want to get this close to being rescued and having a child only to lose it all.”

“I will. A few minutes before I attack you’ll hear some scratching in the wall like a big rat. Use it to act scared and start screaming. I want to get as many of the guards in the room as possible.”

“I understand.”

Before returning to his room Jonas checks the front room, but finds it currently empty. He returns to his room and slips off the moccasins to put on the sandals Joseph had worn earlier. Next he puts the lanyard across his body as before. After checking its status he attaches the small crossbow to the lanyard and pulls the blanket poncho over his head. He grabs the big straw hat and returns to the hidden room.

This time he carries a candle and he turns left instead of right. After a few more steps Jonas goes down a small staircase. Moments later he exits the inn through a storeroom, grabbing a skin of wine from the rack as he goes by. Staying in the shadows as much as possible he heads to the stables. There he finds Joseph and the young lad waiting for him.

“Son,” he says, “thank you for all your help. I must apologize, as in all that’s going on I never asked your name.”

“I’m not offended, Milord, but I’m honored you desire my help. I’m known as Jeri, the cobbler’s son.”

Jonas doesn’t keep up with much of the happenings in Riverview, but he seems to recall something about the tragic death of the cobbler’s wife. From what he remembered she drowned trying to save the life of a child. “Jeri,” Jonas asks, “didn’t you lose your mother some time ago?

Surprised the man would know or remember Jeri says, “Yes, Sire.”

Jonas asks, “How is your family currently doing?”

“My sister and I are pretty much over the loss, but my father’s never been the same. Now he spends most of his time just staring off into the clouds. Because of that, plus the fact my mother had all the business sense, we just barely get by.”

“Jeri, later I’ll try to talk to your father and see if I can help. I also lost my wife six summers ago, so I understand. Now I need you to lead me to the camp. Once we arrive I want you to immediately head home to help protect your sister. There are evil times coming, and if you need help talk to Joseph. If nothing else, he can get you and your sister to Shiloh. You’ll always be welcome under my roof.”

The lad suddenly becomes very shy, not knowing how to respond to such a statement from such an important person. Finally, he just says, “Thank you, Sire.”

The lad and Jonas leave the stable and work their way to a small campsite beside a narrow stream which feeds into the river. When they arrive Jonas sends Jeri home, again thanking him for thinking quickly enough to follow these men.

Once the lad is gone Jonas squirts some of the wine into his mouth, making sure at least some hits his beard and the blanket poncho. Next he pours out close to half of wine, dons the old hat, slumps like he showed Joseph, and starts meandering toward the campsite. He sees the guard and the bedrolls of the others, but is still watchful of a trap.

As an extra move of caution Jonas extends his trip through the woods, looking for anyone lying in ambush. Once he’s confident there’s only the four he stumbles into the camp and approaches the guard. The guard intends to send the old man on his way, but the old drunk offers him some wine. Not willing to refuse wine he accepts, and when he leans his head back to squirt some of the wine into his mouth Jonas pulls his front knife and drives it into the man’s exposed throat.

With the guard dead Jonas slips into the camp. The men have placed Joseph’s bound and gagged niece in the center of a square formed by the fire and the three sleeping men. He’ll have to take out all three in order to rescue her.

The first kill is easy. The man is laying on his back with his head in Jonas’ direction. Silently crawling toward the man’s head Jonas pulls the Bowie knife from the small of his back. Quietly moving closer Jonas suddenly reaches out to hold his hand over the man’s mouth and nose. The man struggles to wake up, but the sharp blade across his throat puts him back to sleep, permanently.

Unfortunately, unlike the movies men don’t usually die very quietly when their throats are cut. The open windpipe makes strange sounds as the lungs try to continue to draw air. This sound disturbs the second man, so he’s more alert when Jonas approaches. Thus, before Jonas can render the killing blow the man yells, rolls to the side, and onto his feet. Drawing his sword he rushes to attack the old man still on his knees.

The attacker doesn’t expect a knife as big as Jonas has in his hand, nor does he expect the old man to have the reach or speed he does. As a result he runs right into the blade, which Jonas drives under his rib cage and into the heart.

The extra time Jonas needs to finish off the third man allows the fourth man to grab his sword and to assume a classic fighting position. When he sees the big knife in the chest of his partner he rushes Jonas. His idea is to attack before Jonas can withdraw the knife, stand up, and get into a proper position to fight him. It’s a great idea against most opponents, but Jonas isn’t most opponents. Instead of trying to remove the knife Jonas abandons it to draw and throw one of the spikes straight from its sheath on his left arm. The spike goes straight through the man’s right eye, dropping him dead in his tracks.

Jonas retrieves the Bowie knife and cuts the girl’s bonds. While he releases her gag he explains who he is. He directs her to destroy the campfire while he gathers the weapons, money, and all of the other valuables he can find. After wiping clean both his knife and spike he restores them to their sheaths. Everything else she rolls up inside the bedrolls while Jonas drags the men deeper into the woods. Once the pair leave, carrying the bedrolls, it’s hard to tell it had ever been a campsite.

Jonas and Joseph’s niece carefully return to the rear of the inn, where Jonas finds Joseph holding War Bonnet and two other horses. He directs Joseph to help his niece with her cape and hood. Jonas removes the sandals, hat, poncho, and returns to his room via the storage area steps. There he hides the items in the secret passage, swaps the sandals for his boots, and returns to the two at the back of the inn.

“Joseph, here’s your mug and sandals. Please attach my saddlebags, and when you’re finished go around to the front near the door of the inn. When you hear a girl screaming wait the time it takes a horse to trot the length of the pasture behind the stables. At that point I want you to beat on the front door while demanding, as loudly as possible, for the return of your niece and keep insisting it’s her you hear screaming.”

Joseph looks a little uncertain when he replies, “Yes, Milord.”

Jonas takes Joseph’s hand and says, “My friend, you can do it. Just imagine it really is her screaming. Don’t be shy about this, but wake the whole town if you have to. Ultimately, it’ll be for their own good.”

With much more confidence Joseph smiles as he says, “I’ll take care of it, Master Jonas.”

Jonas tells the girl, whom Joseph has introduced as Lynn, to hold the horses and stay in the shadows until he returns. He goes back upstairs where he dons his own hat and cape. Moving quietly along the secret passage he comes to the middle room where he scratches his fingernails along the lowest boards to make it sound like an animal is trying to claw its way through the wall.

When Bethany starts screaming Jonas can hear the man telling her to shut up. Instead, she just keeps screaming. Moments later there are more voices in the room when the two front guards are alerted. From the light flickering along the floor several candles must be burning. Then, to add to the confusion, Joseph is banging on the front door and screaming demands about his niece. Jonas can hear more stirring and the male voices seem further away. The girl is still playing her role to the hilt. At this point Jonas releases the catch for the hidden door, opening it into the room with the screaming girl. She stops screaming, he quickly slices her bonds and he starts her toward the secret passage.

Once she’s inside he closes the door most of the way and blows out the closest candles. He steps back into the shadows with his cape drawn around him and his hat pulled low on his eyes. He gives a sinister laugh, causing the leader and the two guards who were still upstairs to look back into the room. Discovering the girl’s bed is now empty they rush in to investigate. Jonas releases the safety on the crossbow, and with three quiet whooshes the men are dead on the floor. He crosses to the bodies and recovers his bolts by simply pulling them back out.

Jonas joins Bethany in the secret passage, fastening the hidden door behind them. They flee down the steps and out the secret exit. Jonas quickly introduces the two women while Lynn helps the newly rescued woman put on the other cape and hood. When they’re ready Jonas helps Bethany onto the horse then they gallop out of the alley, down the main street, and out of the town.

A few minutes later the four remaining guards return upstairs, leaving Thomas the job of pacifying Joseph. When they find the girl gone with the three bodies lying on the floor the alarm is sounded. It takes them a few minutes to get organized, but a short time later almost twenty riders take off in pursuit of the escaped girl.

Before the posse, for lack of a better term, can get close enough to see anything but the lingering dust in the air the three join Nathan and the decoys ride off into the dawn while heading toward the waiting archers.

These four now ride in silence until they reached a fork in the trail. Stopping for a moment Jonas clasps Nathan’s arm and says, “Thanks, my friend. You did an excellent job. Take good care of Shiloh for me.”

Almost in tears Nathan replies, “I will, Sire.”

The four split up with Jonas and Bethany returning to town while the other two head for Shiloh. Before they get to town Jonas stops them then he removes his cape and hat while urging Bethany to do the same. He dismounts and removes the silk pieces from War Bonnet’s head and legs, putting them back in the saddlebags. He removes a vest, a large colorful silk scarf, and matching sash from one of his saddlebags, giving them to Bethany to alter her appearance. Finally, he ties their rolled up capes behind their saddles and remounts War Bonnet. They ride toward the town again.

Though the sun is up it’s still early when the two quietly ride back into town and to the stable. Inside the stable Jonas removes the saddles from both horses and shows Bethany how to brush them. While she handles that chore he removes most of his weapons, wraps them and his hat inside his cape and puts the package under some straw in the corner of War Bonnet’s stall. Joseph will place them in the box once things have returned to normal. When Jonas finishes he releases the horses to the pasture and the two walk together toward the bank.

They’re just a few feet from the bank door when someone recognizes Bethany and cries the alarm. The couple rush into the bank and into one of the rooms. Bethany locks the door while Jonas pushes his finger into the slot. The storage box appears and he’s quick to dump the weapons, protective clothes, and money into the box. Someone is trying to break down the door while Jonas closes the box lid. Bethany grabs Jonas close when the box disappears. A moment later they pass through the Portal, but while they do Jonas can hear the door breaking. It’s a very narrow escape.

Chapter 3 »

Close