Shiloh - Cover

Shiloh

Copyright© 2005 Ernest Bywater & R. Michael Lowe aka The Scot

Chapter 12: People and Plans

Kyle, Kathleen, and Dr Narduchi return to the garage area. The two women head for the SUV where Li Quan waits patiently. Kyle closes the door to the hidden stairway and he restores the breaker for the garage doors to the on position. When that’s complete he joins KK and Paula in the Suburban. Li ensures everyone is buckled up before he drives back outside, again using the remote to open and close the garage door.

While they drive to the Lopez home Paula places two remotes for the garage doors into a small box and gives them to Kyle. The SUV stops in front of the house they passed on the way in. On closer look Kyle finds it’s designed similar to the old Mexican Haciendas which are still found scattered around the area. A low adobe wall surrounds the house with an arched entrance into the grounds in the wall. The adobe house is built in a U shape and the center of it contains a courtyard with a small fountain.

When they all, but Li, climb out of the Suburban a teenage girl steps out of the shadows. She has an automatic shotgun cradled in her arm. She says, “Good afternoon, Doctor N. Mom and Dad have taken the rest of the family shopping.”

“So you had to stay and stand guard?”

“Pretty much so, though I did have a few chores that needed to be done as well.”

“Varena, I want you to meet Jonas’ grandson, Kyle, and his fiancée, Kathleen. Jonas died Saturday so Kyle is the new Patrón.”

The young girl leans the shotgun against the wall and curtsies. “Welcome to Missionary Ridge, honored Kyle and Kathleen. Will you be in residence, or using it as a weekend retreat and vacation home?”

Kyle smiles while he answers, “At this point it will be our primary home. We intend to move in later this week.”

“Wonderful! It’ll mean a lot to my family to have you close by. I hope you’ll be satisfied with our service.”

“Varena,” Kathleen says softly, “I’m sure we will. We’re not hard to please people.”

“Good! I’ll tell Mom and Dad about Jonas and that you’ll be moving into the house in a few days. Also, Doctor N, if you can wait a moment, I have something inside for Li!”

“Sure, we can wait.”

Paula turns to Kyle and Kathleen as she suggests the three of them wait in the car. The teen girl runs inside the house. A few minutes later she returns carrying a small gift bag. She comes up to Li’s window, which he lowers. “Mister Li, you’ve always given us kids birthday and Christmas presents. A little bird told me it’s your birthday next week, so this time I’ve a present for you.”

Obviously moved emotionally Li says, “Thank you, sweet Varena.”

Varena asks, “Well, aren’t you going to open it?”

“In front of everyone?”

“Please.”

Li Quan opens the gift bag and removes a small cup shaped quilted item. When he looks puzzled Varena explains, “It’s to cushion your leg against your prosthesis. I found the design on the Internet and made them myself. There’s one for every day in the week. I had to guess at the size for the fit, but they do have some stretch in them.”

Li is almost in tears when he says, “Varena, it is a most thoughtful and special gift. If it works it’ll make my life much more bearable.”

Kyle looks puzzled and Dr Narduchi picks up on it. She says, “Kyle, as the result of an anti-personnel device planted by the Viet Cong Li lost his left foot when he was six. He has a prosthesis, but it hurts him to stand or walk very much. That’s why he normally waits for me in whatever vehicle we happen to be using. Hopefully, this little present will give him less pain and more freedom.”

“Was it a mine?” asks Kathleen.

“No,” Dr Narduchi answers. “It was a Punji stick put in the village’s rice paddy by the Viet Cong. It took his family over a day to get him to a hospital. Due to the resulting infection the doctors had to amputate his foot to save his life.” The news saddens the couple. They head back to El Paso after taking their of leave of Varena.


Note: Punji sticks are dried bamboo slivers dipped in human excrement and planted at an angle. They’re indiscriminate as to whom they hurt, and unless treated within twenty-four hours amputation is usually the result. The VC or ‘Charlie’ had a bad habit of using these to draw evacuation choppers into range for an ambush.


Fortunately Dr Narduchi is soon able to lighten things up a bit when she and Kathleen return to their conversation concerning the wedding. Meanwhile, Kyle leans back and closes his eyes. He appears to be asleep, but his mind is very active trying to organize all that needs to be done over the next few days. By the time he and Kathleen are dropped off at the mall he’s developed a very well-defined plan of how to move forward to protect KK and his other valuables.

Before entering the mall Kyle uses his cell phone to call Ryan. “Hey, Kyle!” Ryan exclaims. “Where have you been this afternoon?”

“Looking at property. I may decide to sell Jonas’ house after all.”

“Cool! So, what’s up?”

“Ryan, are you free tonight?”

“Sure. I was going to work at CyberFun, but since I transferred my share of the partnership to you and Kathleen this afternoon I made Ruth the temporary night manager. Watcha need?” Kyle gives him a list of materials needed and stresses the need for secrecy. Ryan responds, “I can handle getting the materials without a problem. I’ll use the small utility trailer to carry the bigger items. What’s the best way to get this stuff to your house without being observed?”

“Remember our secret trail through the hedge?”

“You mean that pathway we used as kids is still there?”

“Yes, and it leads right up to my window. If you start at the area between the Harrelson and the Abbot houses you can make it all the way without anyone seeing you.”

“Kyle, I don’t know what you’re going to do with these supplies, but it’s going to take more than one trip down that path to deliver them.”

“Good point. I suggest while you’re shopping you also pick up some groceries and add everything except the wood to those sacks. That way you’ll just need to bring the wood to my window then bring everything else through the front door as part of the groceries.”

“I can do that no problem. When do you think you’ll be ready?”

“Sometime after it gets dark, but stay in your car until I call you.”

“Will do.”

After Kyle hangs up he and Kathleen enter the mall. The first thing they do is to go to the public restrooms. They change into their regular shirts, putting their disguises into their shopping bags. For the next hour they hold hands while they window-shop their way to the food court. Along the way each stops a few times to buy things. When they reach the food court Kathleen says, “I don’t know about you, but I’m hungry.”

“I’m getting that way too. Let’s get something while we’re here!”

Kathleen leans into Kyle’s chest and snuggles while she says, “I love the way you think. I want a Philly cheese steak sandwich, how about you?”

“I want some Bourbon Chicken and vegetables.”

“Do you think it’s safe to split up to get our food?”

Kyle replies, “I think so. The two places are not that far apart and I should be able to watch you the entire time.”

“What about our shopping bags? I doubt either of us can handle them and food too.”

“I hadn’t considered that. Why don’t we get a convenient table and take turns getting our orders. I don’t mind getting both our orders, but I’m not sure if I can tell them how to prepare that concoction you eat.”

Faking a playful pout Kathleen replies, “It’s not really that bad.”

“Chili peppers and cream cheese? I’m not sure what else you add, but it’s like no Philly cheese steak sandwich I’ve ever eaten. Oh hurry! There’s a table that’s perfect.”

The couple grab the table then Kathleen heads to get her sandwich and a drink. She returns with some delicious smelling shoestring fries too. Kyle goes to the Cajun Shack and gets his food. It’s as good as it looks. They talk about many things while they eat. The time flies so fast it seems like it’s only five minutes later when they dispose of their trash. They place their trays in the holder on the top of the trash container. Still holding hands they exit the mall and return to Kyle’s Jeep. He loads all of their shopping bags into the rear while Kathleen buckles in. Moments later he joins her and they quickly head back to Jonas’ house.

While Kyle drives down North Mesa their shadow in the gray Grand Prix is three cars behind them. Two cars behind the Grand Prix the beat-up old pickup completes the train. Before leaving the mall parking lot each tail reports their current status to their controls.

It’s just gone dark when Kyle reaches his home. He uses the remote to open the garage door to park next to Jonas’ Buick. The garage door is still closing when Mike Barlow opens the kitchen door. Kyle greets the security guard while Kathleen starts removing their purchases from the back of the Jeep. “How did everything go today, Mike?” Kyle asks.

“No problems. You had a few calls, but I let the answering machine take the messages.”

“Thanks. Mike, I want you to meet my fiancée, Kathleen Kennedy.”

“Miss Kennedy, it’s a pleasure to meet you.”

“Thank you, Mike. I feel the same.”

Mike asks, “Kyle, do you need me anymore tonight?”

“No. You can head home. I don’t think I’ll need you tomorrow until thirteen hundred, but I definitely want you here at least through noon on Thursday. I’ll call the security company if that changes.”

“That’s good. I’ll advise the company when I call them to clock out. You two have a good night and I’ll see you at one tomorrow afternoon.”

“Fine, Mike. You have a good night.”

“Thanks.”

Kyle picks up the rest of the bags and closes the rear of his Jeep. When he reaches the living room Mike has just left and Kathleen is locking the front door behind him.

“Do you want something to drink?” asks Kathleen.

“A cold beer sounds awfully good at the moment.”

“One cold beer coming up.”

While KK heads into the kitchen Kyle uses his cell phone to call Ryan. When Ryan answers Kyle says, “We’re home.”

“I’ll be there in a few minutes, but I’m still going to need to make more than one trip. We forgot the bulkiness and weight of the sheet of plywood as well as that large piece of glass. There’s no way I can bring the wood strips and those two pieces at the same time.”

“I’d forgotten all about them. I guess you can bring the wood strips and pieces of trim to my window. I’ll go back with you to get the glass and the plywood.”

“That’ll work. I’ll see you in a few minutes.”

Kathleen returns with his beer as well as a glass of white wine for herself. “What’s going on?” she asks.

“Sweetheart, I’ll explain in a little while. Right now I need to get prepared for Ryan.”

“OK. While you’re working on that I’ll make the three of us a treat. Is there anything else I can do to help?”

“Yes, but I’ll warn you ahead of time, it won’t be a pleasant job.”

“So, what is it?”

Kyle leads her to a large bucket in the garage. It’s full of water and a large piece of cloth. “KK, this flag was behind Jonas when he committed suicide so a lot of his blood and tissue ended up here. Someone put it in the tub to soak and keep it from drying, but I don’t have a clue of where to go from here to get it clean. Just remember, it’s old, fragile, and very valuable.”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close