Shiloh - Cover

Shiloh

Copyright© 2005 Ernest Bywater & R. Michael Lowe aka The Scot

Chapter 20: Thursday Morning

The next morning Kyle realizes he forgot to request a wake-up call before going to sleep last night. Thus it’s already after seven when the need to pee becomes strong enough to bring him out of his slumber. He’s groggily returning to rejoin his wife in bed when the clock beside the bed gets his attention. Instead of getting under the covers Kyle sits on the edge and leans over. He kisses Kathleen until she’s at least partially awake.

Kyle’s new bride reaches up, wraps her arms around his neck, and asks, “What are you doing? Don’t you know I need to wake up cuddled next to you?”

“KK, if I got back under the covers we won’t leave here for at least two hours. We need to leave to meet Stanley in less than an hour.”

“Oh!” she exclaims, “why didn’t you say so earlier?”

“I just realized I forgot the wake-up call when I saw the clock while I was returning from the bathroom. My taking a minute to wake you up with kisses was a compromise.”

“A compromise?”

“Yes,” Kyle laughs. “My choice was between climbing back into the bed and forgetting about our meeting, or popping your beautiful ass with a wet towel.”

Kathleen glares at Kyle and says, “Good choice, Buster. I thank you for your compliment about my butt, but remember this, and remember it well - I do not respond well to wet towels, cold water, or hard slaps applied to my gluteus maximus. And that applies whether I’m asleep or awake.”

“I’ll take that into account for the future, though I’ll warn you I take after that rabbit cartoon character?”

Trying to figure out where Kyle is going with this she asks, “And how’s that?”

“If I duz it I gets a licking - I duz it.”

Remembering the quote KK laughs, “You goof. Now let me out of this bed. We both need a shower, and I need more time than you to get ready.”

“Shall we take another shower together?”

“Not if you want to get out of here in less than four hours. Now go shave while I shower. I smell like I made love for half the night.”

“You did,” laughs Kyle.

KK grins, “You’re right, I did, and I’m sure Stanley knows it, too. I just don’t want to advertise it to the world.”

Kathleen gives her husband a toe-curling kiss then slides out from under the covers. She looks for some fresh clothes then realizes they don’t have any. “You know what we forgot?” she asks Kyle.

“What’s that?”

“We don’t have any fresh clothes or toiletries. We can use the motel soap and shampoo, but we’ll have to wear yesterday’s clothes.”

Kyle slaps his forehead with the heel of his hand and exclaims, “You’re right. We should have picked up some things last night, but our minds were too distracted by other issues - like the new house, sex, guns, sex, getting the old house emptied, sex, food, and of course, let’s not forget - sex.”

Kathleen laughs at her sweet man’s antics, “Yes, let’s not forget the sex. Though, as good as it was last night, I seriously doubt we could forget, even if we wanted to.”

“True, but now we need to quickly get cleaned up and get out of here. We can go shopping for some new clothes after we meet up with Stanley. Also, remind me to get some things copied at the front desk.”

When Kathleen steps behind the curtain into the steaming shower of water she looks back at her husband and says, “Don’t forget we need to get some things copied at the front desk.” Before Kyle can throw anything at her she ducks her head back into the shower.

“Grrrrrr!” Kyle responds.

Even though they’re late waking up the couple actually reach their rendezvous point almost fifteen minutes early. When they pull into the parking lot Kyle notices a sign advising the fast food restaurant has a Wi-Fi connection. So when they go inside Kyle takes his laptop from the Buick’s trunk.

While KK orders food and drinks Kyle boots up to check his e-mail. Most of it’s spam or notes from friends and classmates expressing either sadness over his grandfather or concern about the previous morning’s accusations at CyberFun. One of the emails is from Larry Martin.

The really important one is from Sid, who advises he has to fly home around noon. He expresses the need for them to still get together for a few minutes and he gives Kyle the phone number to his room.

Kyle immediately pulls out his cell phone and calls the number. “Hello,” answers a voice that sounds rather groggy.

“Sid, this is Kyle Alexander. I apologize if I called too early.”

While looking at the clock by the bed Sid replies, “No, it’s not too early. I need to wake up. What happened to you after the funeral yesterday? I was hoping to speak to you and suddenly you’re gone.”

Kyle explains all that had happened, including their quick trip to New Mexico. Sid says, “Sorry about your father, that’s a shame. Though I guess congratulations are in order regarding the wedding.”

“Thanks, I appreciate it. She’s a very special lady.”

“Kyle, the question that immediately comes to my mind is: does this change the reason for even having our meeting?”

“You mean, do I still plan on returning to Chaos?”

“Yes.”

“I not only plan on going, but KK will be going as my Companion.”

“Man, do you really think that’s a good idea, especially with this being your first trip?”

“But it’s not my first trip. I’ve made many trips as Jonas’ Companion. I’ve discussed everything with her and Jonas brought a Companion manual back on his last trip. She’s already read it from cover to cover.”

“And she’s not jealous about your impregnating another woman?”

“Sid, her response was, and I quote - we’re talking about the survival of a world here, there’s no way I could be that selfish.”

“Damn, man, she has to be, as you said, one very special lady! How will she handle the conditions on Chaos and how will she react to your Caretaker?”

“Sid, KK may be a special lady, but she’s also a tomboy and has been my best friend for as long as I can remember. We’ve camped together, hiked the desert together, and even studied martial arts together. She’s not a dainty little piece of fluff that’ll come apart at the lack of modern conveniences or the first sight of blood. The Caretaker part I’m a little unsure of, but she’s aware of what’s involved and she hasn’t given me any sign of alarm over the matter.”

“It sounds like you’ve found your ideal partner. I hope, someday, I can find my own special lady. Now, how can we get together before my plane leaves?”

“What motel are you staying at?” asks Kyle.

“The Radisson at the airport.”

“There’s a Micky D’s just down the road. We’ll meet you there in around an hour.”

“OK, but watch for a tail.”

“I think we’ve shaken him, but, just in case, we’ll drive around twice and you can see if anyone follows us through the second time.”

“That should work. How will I know if it’s you?”

“Park as close to the main entrance as you can, but preferably across the driveway. We’re in a cream colored Buick LeSabre and while we drive through KK will scream out the window Go Prospectors.”

Sid laughs, “I shouldn’t have any trouble identifying you under that situation. I’ll see you in about an hour.”

Kyle looks up from the call and he sees Stanley is there. “I apologize, Stanley, I was so caught up with the call I didn’t see you arrive.”

“That’s OK. Kathleen met me at the door to give you a some privacy. I just sat down.”

“Now, what do we need to sign?” asks Kyle.

“These two forms give me power of attorney regarding the sale of the house and the furnishings. This form is a quitclaim deed and you both need to sign it. Also, I need the copies of your marriage and drivers’ licenses.”

The couple sign the papers offered by Stanley and KK says, “Here are the copies you requested, though I can’t imagine why I’m involved.”

“Because Jonas left the house to both of you, though, in his will he used your maiden name. That’s why the copy of the marriage license is needed. It’s to document my basis for listing you on the deed transfer as Kathleen Alexander and not as Kathleen Kennedy.”

Surprised Jonas had left half the house to her Kathleen responds, “That’s a surprise, but now the rest of it makes sense. By the way, will we have to pay taxes on the sale of the house?”

“No taxes, because your base is the value at the point Jonas died. Since that’s less than a week ago the selling price establishes the value. As for why he did it, according to him it was intended to keep the two of you connected - even if Robert was able to entice Kyle to go to Houston. One last thing, because I’ve got to get out of here or I’m going to be late.” Stanley removes an envelope and a folded sheet of paper from his inside coat pocket and hands them to Kyle. “I thought you might need some cash, so this is a loan from me. Sign the attached note and I’ll reimburse myself from the proceeds of the house sale.”

Opening the envelope Kyle is surprised at the size of the stack of hundreds and twenties inside it. “How much is there?”

“I thought a nice round number would be the easiest to work with - twenty-five thousand. Now please sign the note so I can get to my office and finish the preparations needed for the closing of the house.”

The couple sign the note to Stanley and the three rise to leave. Kyle offers his hand to the lawyer as he says, “Thanks, Stanley, for taking such good care of us.”

Instead of a handshake Kathleen kisses the older man on the cheek and adds, “I concur with what Kyle said. Also, as far as I’m concerned you’ve become more than our lawyer, you’re a trusted friend.”

Stanley is a little teary-eyed when he places the paper back into his coat pocket and says, “I’m glad you feel I’m your friend, because you are two very special people. Mazel Tov.”

When Stanley heads for his car the couple sit back in their chairs. KK asks, “Do you know what that last thing he said means?”

“I think it’s a Jewish expression of congratulations and good-luck. I suspect it has even more significance when spoken to a non-Jew.”

“You know, Kyle, that means a lot to me.”

“I agree, and I believe we mean a lot to him. I hope we’re a part of each other’s lives for a long time.”

“Me too, but let’s change the subject. I knew you were calling Sid, that’s why I kept Stanley distracted near the door. What did you two work out, if anything?”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close