Shiloh
Chapter 23: Communications

Copyright© 2005 Ernest Bywater & R. Michael Lowe aka The Scot

Kyle exclaims, “Wonderful! I’ll notify Doctor Narduchi you’re on the payroll as of right now. We’ll also immediately start setting up some housing for you and your family.”

“That’ll be appreciated, because we’re currently crammed with two other families in a three bedroom trailer.”

KK shudders at the thought, but with a woman’s insight she asks, “Since it’ll be your home do you have any preferences or suggestions?”

“Angelica and I are attracted to a modular home manufactured in Albuquerque. Its exterior is of a traditional Mexican hacienda and will fit in well with Hector’s house. If we set it up properly we can have a plaza between the two houses and make the access to this house even harder to spot from the road. It’ll also be easier to defend your house because anyone trying to get back here will be caught in our crossfire.”

Kyle nods approvingly and says, “On that basis I want you to start developing your plans, both for the house and the grounds around it. I’ll advise Doctor Narduchi of our tentative plans when I let her know you’ve joined our little band of merry men.”

“That’ll be appreciated. Do you think she’ll actually help us get a home?”

“Instead of just helping I suspect she’ll have the trust purchase it.”

“Why would she do that?” asks the puzzled ex-cop.

“I think the security angle will play a part in it, but it’s also a matter of convenience. If we have to go somewhere we won’t have to wait for you to arrive, and by living here you can have more of a life with your family when you’re not needed.”

A smiling Sonny replies, “When you look at it that way there’s a lot more to this job than it seems.”

“There is, but mostly because you’ll be on call twenty-four seven. As for actual work, I suspect you’ll probably average less than twenty hours a week, plus a lot of waiting around in many places.”

Sonny replies, “Believe me, no matter what the reasoning, my family greatly appreciates the opportunity to have a somewhat normal life; a lot more normal than we’ve had in the past. Allowing us to choose the house and the landscaping makes everything even better. Are there any suggestions you can make, since it’ll be built on trust property?”

“I haven’t discussed it with Doctor N, but I’ll want you to consider energy and water conservation in addition to security.”

“Security?”

“Sonny, you’ve already mentioned this to some degree in making our house more difficult to see and utilizing a crossfire. You can also use landscaping to funnel anyone attacking us into preset fields of fire.”

“From my time in the Marines I understand the use of terrain to determine fields of fire. I’m not sure how that plays in what you’ve just said.”

“Sonny, the security part of landscaping is to take the same idea, but instead of evaluating the existing terrain and making the best of it you’ll be designing things to be the most effective for you. Small berms placed correctly can deny the enemy good firing positions while thickly planted thorn bushes in a hedge can be more effective than razor wire. Another example would be using concrete benches and statues placed in a way to slow down an attack by vehicles. Make them slow down and have to go around things instead of being able to rush straight to the objective. I guess you’d liken it to the old English castles with moats, sharp turns at the entrances, and hedges formed into mazes.”

“OK, that makes sense. What about the rest.”

“Energy conservation could be nothing more than placing the house where it avoids much of the harsh summer sun and cold winter winds. It’ll also include planting trees that can help accomplish your goal of limiting extremes in the weather. As for water conservation, look for ways to hold as much water from our infrequent rains as possible, as well as finding ways to utilize that water more than once. When you’re ready I’ll try to get you some help.”

Sonny responds, “I think I understand. In fact, I was envisioning backing the house up to the ridge opposite Hector’s house. That’ll shade much of the house from the late afternoon sun. Some trees or a wall on the north side can reduce the effects of the winter wind.”

“That’s the right idea,” says a pleased Kyle. “You might also consider excavating part of the ridge, and incorporate the cool rock into part of the house. You might do that for a family room and possibly even a garage.” Sonny nods thoughtfully as he tries to picture what Kyle is describing.

Changing the direction of the conversation, KK asks, “Hector, do you have a garden?”

“Si, we have a small one for peppers. Las Cruces has both a co-op and a farmers market where we can get fresh local vegetables, with much of it being organically grown. If we want to expand our garden we’ve been told there’s water about a hundred feet below us. I don’t know how potable it is, so that’s why a well was never drilled.”

“If that’s the case where do we get our drinking water?” asks Kyle.

“Patrón Jonas had a deep well drilled and a large storage tank is hidden in an underground room near the top of the hill between our houses. It provides us plenty of water, but it takes more than a week to fill your pool. There’s some automatic control that makes sure the pool does not leave us short of drinking water. The water is tested by the system several times a day, but samples are also checked by the state each quarter.”

KK is pleased with what she’s just learned and asks, “Hector, you’ve covered fresh fruit and vegetables, what about fresh meat?”

Señora, I buy a young steer from my uncle about twice a year and my sister down the road has plenty of chickens and eggs. For other things there are several butcher shops in Las Cruces. I have found the quality of one to be much higher than that of the others. It’s slightly more expensive, but not more than a few cents a pound.”

“Hector, in keeping with our objective of staying out of sight would you consider including our needs in your purchases. We’ll reimburse you and also cover a portion of your costs as compensation.”

“I will check with Adalina, but I don’t see a problem. In fact, if we can buy for the three families we can probably get a good break on the price.”

“What about freezer and refrigerator storage?” asks KK.

“Currently, all we have is a standard refrigerator-freezer and a small chest freezer,” answers Hector. “We’ve talked about a bigger freezer, but there isn’t room in the house and we don’t want to put it outside or build another room.”

KK replies, “How about our having walk-in freezer and cooler units built in that massive garage below us. We’ll all have easy access and with the automatic propane generator we don’t have to worry about a power outage and things thawing. That’ll enable all of us to purchase our meat and produce in bulk without taking up additional space in our homes to store it properly.”

Kyle adds, “We can also get some golf carts for the compound to make it easier for everyone to run to the basement to pick up food as well as increase interaction between our families.

Hector grins, “I think both are wonderful ideas. Can we also include a workplace for canning and freezing some of the fresh fruits and vegetables, along with a storage area for the items that are canned? This is something Adalina and Varena have wanted for a long time.”

“Hector, I’ll see that it happens, even if Kyle and I have to pay for it ourselves. Also, please tell your wife I may not know very much about canning and freezing food, but I’m willing to help and learn.”

“KK, I think she will be very happy to hear that.”

A surprised and happy Kathleen remarks, “You called me KK!”

Hector smiles, “That is because you are becoming family. We work for a Patrón, but we work with family.”

“Oh!” KK replies softly. That totally resolves her Patrón issue.

Pleased with the attitude of his new bosses Sonny asks, “So, what do we need to do at this point?”

Kyle answers, “I’d like you to look over the weapons we’ve acquired and make any suggestions and requests for what we might need. In doing this you need to remember we do have limited access to some light military weapons. Hector, do you know anyone that can build and equip what we just discussed for the garage?”

“I think so. I’ll have to make some calls.”

“KK, while he’s doing that can you call Doctor N? Let her know about Sonny’s employment and advise her of what we’ve discussed regarding the garage and golf carts. Like you, I expect to pay for it, but I think we should have the trust’s permission. We also need permission to build a server room, a woodworking shop, and a couple of additional storage areas. We can probably do it all along one wall.”

“OK, what about our moms?”

“Check with them on their progress and when we should expect to pick them up. Sonny and I should be free in just a few minutes.”

KK snaps to attention and salutes while saying, “Consider it done.”

Kathleen quickly discovers she can’t hold a straight face and very soon starts giggling. This causes the others to start laughing too. Kyle, Hector, and Sonny head for the garage while Kathleen finds Dr N’s private number and gives her a call.

When they reach the garage Hector heads back to his house to share the news with his family while Kyle leads Sonny to the workbench holding the weapons and ammunition acquired from the Haywoods. Sonny reviews everything before saying, “Impressive start, but I’d like to get some radio controlled Claymores, combat shotguns, and several more combat weapons, preferably MP-fives, or M-fours, or a combination of the two. What you have here is good for long range or short range. What I want is some mid-range weapons, along with more short range. If too many of the enemy get close they can overwhelm us. Remember, even with what I’m proposing we’ll need people behind those weapons.”

“Sonny, I was in the Army and I rated expert with both the M-sixteen and the M-nine. KK and I have been shooting since we were preteens and we’re both carrying Glock forties and have Texas carry permits. KK’s model twenty-three and my model twenty-two are both loaded with Hydro-shocks. In addition, we’re both experts with the bow, along with many years of martial arts training.”

“That’s a good start, but we still may need access to some additional help. From your statements I’m assuming both of you are black belts.”

“No belts because we stayed out of competition. I’ve trained for years with a sword and dagger plus KK is deadly with throwing knives out to thirty feet. My favorite weapon is the Kettukari or fighting staff.”

“Man, you’re into some heavy shit. I’ve a buddy on the force in Orange County who had a similar background. I once asked him why he did it; but all I got was some strange look, a smile, and then he told me I wouldn’t believe it if he told me.”

“Interesting,” remarks Kyle. “I think I’d like to talk to him sometime.”

“So would a lot of people. He disappeared about six months ago and no one’s seen or heard from him since. What was really strange was the house was locked from the inside and nothing seemed to have been touched. Even his keys, wallet, and weapon were sitting in plain sight.”

Before the conversation can progress KK bounds into the garage and announces, “Everything’s fine with Doctor N, including the trust paying for it all. Also, our moms will be ready for us within the hour.”

“KK, I need you to ride in the front of the car part of the time to free up passenger space if it’s needed. How about grabbing something that’ll help distort your features?”

“No problem. I’ve got just the thing upstairs. I’ll be right back.”

“And bring my laptop,” Kyle shouts to her while she heads upstairs.

Kyle turns back to Sonny to ask, “I noticed earlier, you’re carrying. Do you know what the rules are in New Mexico?”

“I’m on reserve status in California so I was able to automatically get a New Mexico license. From what I was told, if you have a Texas permit New Mexico will automatically honor it and Texas reciprocates by accepting a New Mexico permit.”

“Good. That means KK and I are both covered for a while.”

Moments later Kathleen comes back down the steps carrying Kyle’s laptop while wearing a big floppy hat and large round sunglasses. Kyle doubts her mother could have recognized her in that outfit.

Opening the passenger door KK asks, “How do we handle the exit as our garage remote is in Kyle’s Jeep?”

“We don’t have a problem because Doctor Narduchi gave me one before I left,” answers Sonny.

“Then let’s get this show on the road,” she replies. Sonny turns the SUV around and drives straight out the garage.

When they reach Doña Ana Sonny asks, “Where are we going?”

KK answers, “The first stop is the lower level of Sunland Park Mall. My Mom and Kyle’s older sister, Felicia, will be waiting at the Sears entrance closest to Macy’s. As for Kyle’s Mom, Charlotte, and his other sister, Courtney, all I know is they’re in Bassett Place Mall. I’ll find out more when we get closer.”

While Kyle sits in the rear of the black SUV he thinks further about some of his and KK’s conversations. Suddenly some of the pieces fall together and he realizes their cell phone are a weak link in their security efforts. Thus, even though they’re more than ten miles from Missionary Ridge Kyle has a lot of apprehension when he decides to use his phone, but he hopes keeping the calls short will help.

The first call is to his Mom. “Alexander,” she answers.

“Your favorite son has a couple of quick questions.”

“OK.”

“Since we’re going to be on call to Texas State Energy do you think we could receive company phones?”

“Definitely.”

“Then who’s the carrier?”

“Verizon.”

“What about Internet?”

“I think that would be crucial. Do you want me to have phones sent to you from Houston? We can overnight them to be here tomorrow and do you want to keep the same numbers?”

“Different numbers would be smart. I need two new four-G Android Smart phones with Houston or Dallas numbers. Mister Frederico Mendoza will pick them up at the FedEx office in the morning, unless I hear from you otherwise. Also, can you please have your phone guru call me ASAP, especially before those phones ship?”

“Sure, I’ll get things started and have Dennis Chapman call as soon as I can locate him.”

“And, Mom, I don’t want either of our names associated with those phones, even on your internal paperwork.”

“I’ll get it done, but I’m going to want some explanation when we get together.”

Kyle ends the call and asks KK to get her brother on her phone. Moments later she hands her phone to her husband.

“Ryan, don’t you have Skype on your laptop?

“Yes, my user name is Brain two two two.”

“Can you get set up? I’ll call as soon as we locate a Wi-Fi hot-spot.”

“OK. I’m free the rest of the day and evening. Talk to you shortly.”

When Kyle returns her phone KK asks, “What’s going on?”

“After we left the house I realized we’ve got a potential security problem with our cell phones and I’m trying to do something about it. Sonny, I need to quickly purchase a computer headset with the ability to talk as well as listen. I also want a prepaid cell phone as a safe and secure backup.”

“You’re going to use Skype to cover your calls?” asks Kathleen.

“I’m thinking of trying to use it as much as possible.”

“That’s a pretty smart approach,” adds Sonny, “I don’t know why we didn’t do something like that in LA. With so many hot-spots around it would have been simple to do.”

“What set this off?” asks KK.

“Your talking about not having Internet capability. I knew we were too far out for DSL or cable and having a T one line to our home would not only be expensive, but could draw attention to us. Then I vaguely remembered reading Verizon built a LTE four-G network along the I two five Corridor. The article also claimed their four-G Android phones can be used to create a localized Wi-Fi hot-spot.”

“I follow that, but what about our old phones. I thought we didn’t need to do anything?”

“Regarding ownership we don’t need to make a change, but then I realized our phones can potentially be used to locate us. That created the need for new phones and new numbers. In that same thought I realized the phones needed to be kept out of our names.”

“That makes sense, but I would’ve thought we’d go with prepaid disposable phones in that case.”

“At the moment I don’t think they come with the higher level four-G service, and we need that. What I need to check out concerns the ability to track our location from our voice mail. If it can’t be traced then I plan on keeping our existing phones for a while, but with the batteries removed. Thus, when people call the old number it will automatically go to our voice mail which we can access from the new phones or from Skype.”

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close