Shiloh
Chapter 26: Recruiting

Copyright© 2005 Ernest Bywater & R. Michael Lowe aka The Scot

Kyle is very deep in thought while they conceal the portal and head up to the garage from the sub-basement. Recognizing his concentration Kathleen waits for him to communicate what’s rumbling around in his mind. After closing the hidden door and resetting the circuit breaker for the garage doors Kyle says, “KK, I think we need to get more security. Carl sees Shiloh as the key to Chaos and all his plans, so he’ll really be after us once he realizes I’m active on Crossroads and Chaos.”

“I hadn’t considered that,” KK replies, “but it’s clear, once you say it. I think we need to talk to Doctor N.”

“I agree. I’ll call her as soon as we get upstairs.”

Once back in the lounge room Kyle retrieves the new prepaid cell phone because he thinks this call will be too long to risk on his regular phone being tracked. He dials Paula’s private number, and it’s answered, “Narduchi.”

“Morning Paula, this is Kyle.”

“Good morning yourself. My phone didn’t recognize the caller.”

“We picked up a cheap prepaid phone for added security since the new phones from Mom’s company won’t be here for a few more days. We’ve been continuing to use our regular phones on the road, or for short calls, but I felt this call could be too long to be safe.”

“Good thinking, because you can never be too security conscious when you think you might be in danger.”

“Thanks, and that’s why the call. I’ve learned the risk to us is much greater than we thought. As a result I think we need to strengthen our security for here and Houston. Mom’s company, Texas State Energy, will cover all personnel and equipment relating to my job, but I’d like the trust to pay to help hide us. I’ll reimburse you for the costs.”

“What are you considering?” Paula questioned.

“I think we need two more armored SUVs like the current one you provided. One for here in case we need to go in two directions at the same time and the second for use in Houston. Of course we’ll need three more drivers, one for each new car and a third here as a relief and back up. I think we also need more security people here at Missionary Ridge as well as at least two in Houston. Finally, I need a good personal assistant; one who has the skills to be another guard and not someone we’ll need to protect. Can you locate the people I need?”

“Kyle, now you have me wondering just who are your other sources of information and who’s the enemy that has you so worried?”

“Paula, I don’t know how much I can tell you, or even how much you would believe. KK and I will discuss it and get back to you.”

“OK, I can accept that, but can you at least tell me why you feel the need to try to pay for everything rather than letting the trust do its job?”

“Paula, we really appreciate the opportunity to live here and so far the changes we’ve discussed haven’t involved much financial outlay. Now the situation’s beginning to escalate and I’m seriously concerned about overloading the trust’s costs and depriving my descendants of its benefits.”

Paula’s laughing response surprises Kyle, but he waits for her to settle down before saying anything. Finally Paula says, “Kyle, you can’t outspend the trust unless you decide to buy an aircraft carrier or two.”

A confused Kyle asks, “Paula, what are you talking about.”

“Kyle, the trust earns more in interest and dividends on a daily basis than you’ve spent, or are currently planning to spend.”

A surprised Kyle asks, “Where did Jonas get that kind of money?”

“I’ll tell you a little story the next time we’re alone. As for future trust spending, you and I can discuss the various needs and options then I’ll decide if I feel they fall within the guidelines of the trust. In addition, I can assure you that, under the circumstances, my interpretation of trust spending will be very liberal. Does that help your planning?”

“Yes, Ma’am, it does.”

“Good. Then I suggest you discuss the additional staffing needs for there with Sonny and Hector then have them run their choices through me for a security check. As for the PA, do you prefer male or female? I know of a couple of excellent choices, but your best option is a woman.”

“Paula, I’m much more concerned with skills than gender, but any female PA hired will have to be cleared by KK first, or I’m a dead man.” Kathleen nods at Kyle’s statement and both women start to laugh.

“OK, Kyle, I’ll get things started and I’ll get back to you. Take care.”

Kyle hangs up the phone and puts it away while filling KK in on the conversation. KK responds, “That’s good news about the trust. I know having it pay for so much was bothering you. I guess we need to talk to Sonny and Hector.”

They grab cold drinks and energy bars then walk to Hector’s house. At the sharp curve they find the two men looking at an area on the other side of the drive while pointing to different spots as they talk.

Not realizing Kyle and his bride are anywhere nearby both the men jump when KK says, “You two look like you’re up to no good. I always worry when two men start talking about building something.”

They both turn and grin at KK while Kyle joins the conversation by saying, “Before you get too deeply into your thinking we’ve got some things to discuss that’ll cause some changes.” Having got their full attention Kyle adds, “Due to new information we’ve learned the group we’re worried about is a lot more dangerous than we thought and they now see us as a real danger to their plans. As a result we believe we need more staff and we’d like you to recommend people you know and trust. Though we need to run these people by Doctor N for a security check your relationship with them will be crucial as you’ll not only have to work with them they’ll become part of our little community.”

Hector grins while he asks, “How many and what skills, Patrón?”

“We’re getting another armored SUV in case we need to go to two places at the same time. So we need two more driver / bodyguards like Sonny with one being a relief driver so each can have days off to be with their families. Also, we’ll need more security personnel for here, but I’ll leave the numbers up to you two to work out. Just remember I don’t think Doctor N will approve us hiring a full company.”

“What about when you’re traveling?” asks Sonny.

“A third SUV will be purchased for Houston and we’re looking for a driver / guard and at least one security person to be based there. Doctor N is looking to fill those spots, but if you have recommendations please pass them on to her. The Houston personnel will be employees of Texas State Energy and will have all of the standard company benefits plus a company apartment adjoining KK and me.”

Hector asks, “What about gender, and I assume, by your statement about them being part of our community, you’ll provide housing for the people here?”

“As I told Doctor N a short time ago, gender doesn’t matter, only ability and attitude. At the same time, I need to have at least one female guard to accompany Kathleen wherever she needs to go a male guard can’t.” Kathleen gives Kyle an appreciative look because she hadn’t considered her own security.

“Good,” Sonny replies, “I know a few people who have good combat skills as well as other skills we could use. What’s more, they’ll be a good fit here. Hector and I will talk about possible candidates and get back to you with their details.”

“You both have Doctor Narduchi’s phone number so just pass the information on to her for a security check, please. I don’t plan on second guessing your choices so we’ll meet them when they begin working. I would suggest you include the new people in the planning of security structures, housing choices, and locations as well as other construction such as an enclosed community pool and playground.”

Hector replies, “Patrón, you do realize you already have a pool in the house, though it is rather small?”

“I suspect we’ll transform that area into another water storage unit, and whatever is built will be for the entire community, including us.”

Hector and Sonny are both surprised, but Sonny is not nearly as astonished as his cousin, who seems almost catatonic. It takes Hector a few moments to regain his composure and ask, “Patrón, are you sure you would want to socialize with us?”

KK responds, “Why wouldn’t we? Do you have some bad disease or something? Yesterday you said we were working together like family. Well family not only works together, they play together.” To emphasize her point KK asks, “Hector, do you know where I met my husband?”

Hector smiles and answers, “No KK, where did you meet Kyle?”

Picking up on the difference in Hector’s persona she replies, “In a sandbox. I was two and he was four. His family had money, but mine were average middle class. It didn’t matter to us; heck, we never knew the difference, or cared. I would be the biggest hypocrite in Texas if I thought I, or my future children, were any better than you or yours. What’s more, I expect to help look after your families like you look after mine. Capiche?”

“KK, I don’t understand this capiche.”

Sonny explains, “Hector, it’s an Italian Mafia slang word that’s come into general usage. It’s a strong way of asking, do you understand? She’s using it to be emphatic.”

Hector nods his understanding and says, “Si, I understand.”

“Sonny?”

“KK, I saw the kind of people you were yesterday, so Kyle’s and your statements didn’t shock me. At the same time, you should make sure everyone understands keeping you safe is still our primary job. So back to Kyle’s original question; yes, I’m sure we can find good people for you and these things you’re proposing will also help provide visible work tasks for some of the extra staff. Also, the additional housing for the new people will help us hide and protect your home.”

KK smiles, “Good, then you need to get busy discussing who to hire and getting things organized. It’s likely to get a little crazy around here in the next few weeks.”

The young couple leave the two men and head back to their house. In what KK has now labeled the den they sit in front of the fireplace to discuss how to deal with Carl and his group, on both planets.

After kicking around various ideas KK says, “Kyle, I don’t see how we can do this unless we all work together. I think we need to include Paula, Larry, Nadia, Barbara, and Marc in the planning. That will need full disclosure on the portals and Heroes, but after this morning Paula and Nadia will be the only ones in the dark and the most skeptical.”

“I think you’re right,” responds Kyle, “I wonder what CIA contacts Paula still has and if they’ll be a help or a hindrance. Well, no time like the present.” He again uses the prepaid phone and calls Paula.

Paula laughs as she says, “Kyle, do we need set up a direct link?”

“Hell, I hope not! Unfortunately, a lot of details are coming at us while we try to deal with all this.”

“I can just image, and before I forget, the two of you are scheduled to be in my office Monday at eleven o’clock to work with your professors about assignments for the remainder of the semester. I figure we’ll work through lunch so I’ll provide takeout. Is Japanese or Chinese OK?”

“Yes, to all of that.” Kyle answers. Seeing the odd look KK gives him he adds, “Just a moment while I avoid suicide and inform KK what’s on the schedule.” Kyle hears Paula laugh in the background while he tells KK, “Paula is asking about us having a working lunch meeting with our professors on Monday to learn what assignments and projects are needed for us to finish the semester. She wants to know if Japanese or Chinese takeout is OK.” KK nods agreement and he tells Paula, “We’re fine with everything, and you make the food choices because we’ve no preference. Now, before I explain the purpose of this call I need to ask if you’re still involved with the CIA in any manner, or have active contacts within the agency.”

“Kyle, you know I can’t answer that!”

“Which means it’s a yes. Have you told anyone about this house, the trust, or about our current troubles?”

“Kyle, I’ve not said anything to them about the house or the trust, but that doesn’t mean they can’t have found out about them through other sources. As for you, I don’t know much about what’s going on, other than you needing to hide from those responsible for Jonas’ death. You’ve not told me who, except for your aunt.”

“Sorry, but for some reason I thought you already knew what was going on. A radical right-wing militia is behind Jonas’ suicide and my Aunt Lucille is a part of the group’s leadership. Soon after Jonas’ death we learned they’re actively searching for certain items which were in Jonas’ house and that’s why we went into hiding, bringing the items with us. The fact they’re on the government domestic terrorist list should tell you much, and like you’ve already guessed, I do have additional sources of information. My problem, at the moment, is trying to determine how much should be revealed to everyone.”

“Let me make a guess here. When you went missing after the funeral the Haywoods became concerned. Since they’re part of a Texas Rangers investigation of such a group I’d say they’re your other information source. They don’t know how much I’m aware of what they’re doing, but if this is who we’ve been discussing then I’m now very worried.”

“What about my telling Barbara and Marc about our relationship?”’

“I have no problems with your telling them about the house or the trust. In fact, I think full disclosure in both directions is likely to be very beneficial to you. Especially if some of Hector’s ’cousins’ want to be part of your security team as the Haywoods should be able to help them get an early retirement from active duty. In fact, I would advise Sonny and Hector of the possibility before they get too far into their recruiting.”

“I’ll do that,” Kyle replies, “but can you to contact Marc and Barbara and invite them to join us after lunch. Also Larry Martin and Nadia Konnoff are involved too, so I need you to bring them out as well.”

“Kyle, considering Larry’s condition, is that wise?”

“I do, and as you will soon see, things have a way of changing.”

A skeptical Paula says, “If you say so. I’ll let you know if a problem arises. Also, since you’re going to be talking to Hector can you tell him to expect a delivery on Monday or Tuesday? I’ve purchased ten golf carts for use around the compound and five ATVs for rougher terrain. Most of them will seat four and three ATVs are like little pickups.”

“Not a problem. I’ll tell him about the vehicles and the possibility of getting early retirement for some of their choices. Hopefully we’ll see you shortly.”

After ending the call Kyle explains to KK, “Paula had already figured out the Haywoods were involved and her recommendation is we should go for full disclosure with them as well as with her. As a result of the conversation I need to talk to Hector and Sonny again. So, do you want to take a walk with me?”

“Sure. You can chat with the men while I visit with their ladies.”

The couple enjoy the walk to Hector’s house and each spends a nice hour or so chatting with their counterparts. Kyle tells Hector and Sonny about the coming vehicles, he also advises them of the possibility of getting some active duty personnel released for early retirement and to include that in their planning. From the two men’s response Kyle suspects this will significantly influence their selection of the additional people. Kyle and KK stay for a nice lunch, returning home after they’re allowed to help wash the dishes.


Late in that morning, while Kyle is visiting Hector and Sonny, seven rich and powerful people wait in the top floor executive conference room of a major multinational company located in downtown El Paso. Two men stand at one of the windows relieving their boredom by watching the traffic at the International Airport a few miles to the northeast while the others sit at the large table reviewing files.

The door opens and five more people walk into the room. The last person to enter is Carl Edmondson. In his anger he tries to slam the door closed, but the hydraulic door closer resists and causes it to bounce five times before it finally softly settles into the door’s frame. He stomps to his usual seat at the head of the table and he slams some files in the space in front of his chair.

Turning to Lucille he snarls, “Kyle knows nothing. He’s a good boy. He won’t cheat me. The little bastard was on Crossroads this morning and suddenly we’re unable to reach three of our top contacts as well as Jonas’ Caretaker. At the moment I haven’t learned what he said or did, but there are major changes going on. The whole system on Crossroads is being revamped, including new computers and new access codes. A new administrator has been added as well as more supervisors. All our people on-site are being extra cautious while they try to find out what’s going on, and why. Somehow, Kyle’s already done us more harm than a dozen of the best Heroes. To have done this he has to have Jonas’ ring and portal. How could you let him take them away, Lucille?”

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close