Shiloh - Cover

Shiloh

Copyright© 2005 Ernest Bywater & R. Michael Lowe aka The Scot

Chapter 27: News a Plenty

When the meeting ends Kyle asks Marc’s assistance in moving some tools and Barbara asks to take some pictures of the kitchen. KK offers to show Nadia and Larry around their home and Paula decides to check on Li Quan. In doing so she accompanies Kyle and Marc to the garage. Kyle opens the hidden door to the sub-basement then he and Marc use the dumbwaiter to transfer the selected items to the sub-basement. Two items are too large for the dumbwaiter so the two men carry them down the steps. Once this is done Kyle closes the hidden door and Marc heads upstairs to get his wife and the others.

Once they’re alone Paula asks Kyle, “Is all this stuff really true?”

“Paula, Jonas went through Crossroads to Chaos almost every other week for more than thirty years. I have no idea how many Cassandran children carry his DNA, but it has to be more than a thousand. I’ve been to both Crossroads and Chaos numerous times, while KK, Barbara, Marc, and Larry were with me at Crossroads this morning. Just look at Larry; yesterday he was paralyzed below his waist and now he’s able to move his complete body and will be gaining strength daily. What do you think?”

“My mind says you’re full of shit, but my eyes and my heart tells me you’ve let me into a major secret. Thank you for trusting me. Now, you wanted to know how Jonas was able to fund such a trust?”

“Yes Ma’am, I really would like to know. I’ve been close to the man all my life and I never had a hint.”

“I can imagine, Kyle. Even though he could be complex in many ways Jonas was basically a simple man who needed nothing of the riches of the world. I told you how he and I met, didn’t I?”

“Yes Ma’am. He rescued you from an ambush.”

“That’s correct, and while he was guarding my return to Saigon we got to know one another pretty well and a high level of trust quickly developed. About five months later Jonas shows up at the embassy in Saigon wanting to talk to me. It was then I learned he’d been assigned to Project Gamma, which was an unofficial incursion into Cambodia - very black. While leading a group of Montagnard warriors on a recon over the border they ambushed a North Vietnamese truck and car convoy. It turned out the truck contained many boxes of pure heroin and a large wooden crate. They destroyed the drugs, but Jonas brought the crate to me because I was the only one he trusted. He wanted it turned over to the US government instead of lining the pocket of some general or CIA operative. Without giving any specific details I tried to handle it though channels, but no one seemed to be interested. Finally I just shipped the crate home to hold until I could give it to Jonas.”

“What was in the box?”

“Cash, bundles and bundles of hundred dollar bills.”

“Wow!” How big a box are we talking about?”

“It wasn’t exactly a cube, but it was more than three feet a side, and weighed slightly more than a ton.”

Kyle held on to the car to keep from falling when he asked, “How much did it total?”

“Over one hundred million dollars.”

“And when was this?”

“Nineteen sixty-eight.”

“My God!” Kyle softly exclaims. “And that was before the banking laws designed to restrict money laundering. Wow! With more than forty years of compounded interest and the growth of the stock market I can’t even imagine what it’s worth today; and honestly, I really don’t want to know. From now on I’ll just request things I think we need and rely on you to decide what I can spend from the trust. At least now I’ll rest easier about spending the trust’s money.”

Paula pats Kyle’s arm and says, “Good approach; and don’t worry, I don’t feel Jonas would disapprove of anything you’ve tried to do. Because of that I’ve no problem in the trust supporting you’re efforts. The fact you’re helping Hector and his people just makes it even better. I can tell you the way you and Kathleen have shown them respect is almost as important to them as the financial boost. Your grandfather would have been proud of the two of you.”

While Paula finishes talking all of the others come down the stairs. Goodbyes are expressed and Li Quan hands Kyle the empty tray before he opens the garage door and drives off. The young couple return to the house and, after a light meal, they retire to their bedroom. It’s actually very much later when they finally go to sleep.

Sunday morning the newlyweds have a time of early morning bliss before enjoying a relaxing breakfast. Just after 10:00 Sonny arrives after taking his family to early Mass. He joins the couple at the kitchen table for a cup of coffee and they discuss the day. When Kathleen decides to work on getting the house in order Sonny and Kyle realize they’ll be called on to help. Since KK will take some time to get things organized in her mind the men go over the weapons provided by Marc. When the weapons are laid on a workbench Kyle finds some have never been fired and are still covered in the original packing grease. It’s at this point the men realize they don’t have any gun cleaning supplies.

Kyle gives Sonny some money and sends him to Las Cruces to pick up the supplies. Before he leaves Sonny checks with KK to see if she needs anything. She makes him a list. Kyle adds to the money and Sonny heads out on his shopping trip. Instead of just waiting around Kyle spends the time by helping his bride make some decisions and do some of the desired rearranging.

Studying the den KK asks, “What do you think about mounting the Civil War display we built to hide the portal over the fireplace?”

Kyle studies the wall before answering, “I really like that idea, but we need to find the right mantle and get it installed first. The mantle will deflect the fire’s heat away from it. I don’t see it catching fire, but the heat could cause the old flags to deteriorate much faster. That’s why Jonas kept the vent below Grant’s flag closed in the winter.”

“That makes sense. What kind of mantel are you thinking about and where would we find one?”

“Ideally I’d love to find a simple handmade one from an old house, but even a stained rough cut shelf would do the job as well as adding character to the room. Hector may have an idea where we could find one, and if he doesn’t we can check out some of the auction sites on the Internet.”

A happy KK replies, “I can handle that project. Do we have what’s needed to fasten both to the rock?”

“We should. Jonas had a gun that shot fasteners into concrete, so it’s just a matter of finding the right spots in the mortar. That’s a smart question though, as I don’t remember seeing it in his tools. I should also check to make sure we have the correct fasteners and the right size shot for the project. Too little powder and the fastener doesn’t go in all the way while too much can cause the mortar to crack, or at least pit.”

“I’m glad you know about these things because I wouldn’t have a clue where to even start. The biggest thing I’ve ever done like that was a one inch nail through one of those picture holders to be hammered into the wall. I missed the nail the first time and I hit my thumb. Once he stopped laughing Ryan finished hanging it for me. I never liked that picture after that.”

Kyle laughs and says, “Been there and done that! Actually, I was pretty lucky because Jonas always included me when he did projects. I want to be a good father to our children and he’ll definitely be my role model.”

“I understand how you feel. Mom and I have recently gotten closer, but your Grandmother Wanda will be my role model, not my Mom.”

At that point the alarm goes off and KK checks the security cameras before announcing, “It’s Sonny!”

The couple go downstairs to meet their driver. KK takes her items upstairs while Sonny brings the rest over to the workbench. When Kyle looks questioningly at the sparse amount of supplies Sonny explains, “All the true gun shops are closed on Sunday and Walmart was the best I could do. It may not be the perfect setup, but I think we can get the job done. I’ll pick up more tomorrow.”

“We’ve got to go to the University tomorrow, anyway, so we can stop at the store on Mesa. I’d like them to put a laser sight on Jonas’ model nineteen eleven as well as getting a couple of additional magazines.”

“Rather than your Glock?”

“I usually carry the Glock behind my back and I don’t want the laser to get in my way. I usually keep the forty-five by our bed. If they have some forty-five Glaser rounds I’ll get a box because Jonas taught me to load them as the top three rounds in the initial magazine.”

Sonny nods thoughtfully and says, “I’ve never thought about it, but that’s really not a bad idea. Especially if you live in a home with others, or in a subdivision. They would greatly reduce the potential of hurting an innocent in another room, or in another house. What do you do if the assailant is wearing armor?”

“Just like normal rounds, if you want to just stop him hit his gun shoulder and possibly a knee. It will destroy either. If you want to stop him permanently aim for the neck and above. At twenty feet I doubt the shot will ever exit.”

“Is that the gun he used to commit suicide?” Sonny asks.

“You know, I never asked. When I looked for it the day after Jonas died it was in his nightstand with the magazine empty. A partial box of hollow points was open in the drawer, but I didn’t see any of the Glaser rounds. I know he used to have a few other guns around the house, but I don’t know what he used or what happened to it. I probably should check with the police, though I doubt I’d want to keep the gun if I knew it was the weapon that killed him.”

“I can understand and it’s probably a good idea just to let the matter die from inattention. It can only add to your grief.”

Kyle nods his agreement then the two begin to strip and clean the guns. They don’t have the right sized brushes and rams, but they get as close as they can and figure out ways to work around their deficiencies. At least they have plenty of patches, several large bottles of cleaning solvent, a bottle of gun oil, and a box of shop cloths. While they work Kyle gives Sonny the current information concerning IDs, permits, and access to active duty personnel.

KK calls them to lunch before they’re finished and as soon as they arrive upstairs she sends them to wash the grease and smell from their hands. After lunch they assist KK a bit before returning to the garage. A short time later the guns are all cleaned and ready for use. They discuss possible situations and decide what guns need to be carried in the SUV. These guns are wrapped in a blanket and placed behind the second seat. Extra ammunition goes into one of Jonas’ old tool boxes which they place where it can help keep the guns from easily shifting. Sonny decides to find a better solution for the future.

With the SUV now armed the two men spend a few minutes sorting some of the stuff that was just piled in a corner of the garage the night their families came to the house and Ryan had driven Kyle’s Jeep full of stuff from Jonas’ house. One of the things that surfaces is the nail gun Kyle had mentioned to KK. A little after 15:00 Sonny leaves to meet his wife at Hector’s and Kyle returns to the house area to help Kathleen.

Kyle and KK finish arranging things by late afternoon and spend the rest of the day in quiet conversation about all the current and future changes in their lives. KK is especially concerned about completing their studies while Kyle is working for TSE. After a light dinner they again retire early for some love making before eventually falling asleep.

Monday morning the newlyweds awaken just before the dawn. While they eat a casual breakfast of bagels and cream cheese they watch the dawn-line crossing the land to their east. Sonny arrives not long after they finish and joins them for coffee. A few minutes later Sonny heads to Hector’s for additional discussions on staffing while Kyle and KK work to get ready to go to the University. Without rushing they find they’re ready ahead of schedule and since Kyle wants to stop at one of the gun shops in town they contact Sonny to meet him at the SUV.

On the drive to El Paso Sonny talks about the families he and Hector have already approached about joining them. “There are five families and three couples who are very interested,” he explains. “All of the adults have military training and are experienced with the weapons we’ll be using as well as dealing with security situations in areas like Iraq and Afghanistan. Hector and I think the best part is most of them have other skills that’ll enrich our community.”

“Have you passed the names to Doctor N?” KK asks.

Sonny answers, “I plan on giving her a list this morning, along with a secondary list of active duty people who’d like to join us. Once we get her approval we’ll start making plans for the security areas, new homes, and other construction. We hope to have the planning completed by the end of the week.”

Kyle is obvious pleased when he replies, “This sounds good, and we appreciate the speed the two of you are working at to get this done.”

When the SUV reaches the North Mesa exit Sonny leaves the Interstate and turns left. A few blocks down Mesa he parks in front of a gun store. Kyle hands him some money and he takes Kyle’s 1911 inside. In a few minutes he returns with the pistol and the supplies.

Looking at the new sight mounted in front of the trigger a surprised Kyle says, “They fixed it that fast?”

“They had it in stock and the gunsmith was free. By the time I had the cleaning supplies we wanted they had it mounted and tested. I also purchased two additional magazines, three boxes of hollow-points, and the special ammo you want. Even with all that I still got change back.”

“That’s great,” replied Kyle. “I just hope I never have to use it.”

“I think we all hope that,” adds Kathleen.

At the University they quickly find the parking lot where Paula told them to park. As they enter they see Li Quan waiting beside Paula’s car. From Li’s motions they determine he’s holding a parking spot just for them. Sonny parks where directed and all three get out to greet Li. Then, with Li watching the vehicles, Sonny enters the building with the newlyweds. They locate Paula’s office and her secretary leads them into her private office. Sonny hands Paula his two lists then he returns to the parking lot where he’ll wait with Li Quan.

Once Sonny leaves they’re joined by Dr James Smally, the Dean of the School of Business. The three are seated in comfortable leather chairs placed in front of Dr Narduchi’s massive desk. Paula begins by explaining, “Kyle, the plan James and I came up with is for the two of you to have meetings with each of your professors with one or both of us sitting in on the meetings to deal with any problems or conflicts which might arise. We decided to use the conference room for the first sessions and we’ll cover the two classes you have together. Then, after a quick lunch, we’ll split the two of you into smaller rooms for separate meetings with your other three professors. Is that OK?”

Kyle looks questioningly at his bride, and she nods her approval. He replies, “We’re happy with that.”

Dean Smally responds, “Good. I’ll get the professors for the first two meetings and Paula will send her driver for our food. Would you follow me to the conference room?”

Kyle and KK follow their dean to the conference room. Moments after the two take their seats Paula enters, followed by their Business Law professor. The discussion begins with an overview of the semester to date and he acknowledges the two have the highest averages in the class. From there they get into the work needed for the remainder of the semester. As they talk the professor gives them a half page list of their reading assignments, some worksheets, and five test cases for analysis.

He explains, “You’ll need to finish reading your textbook and the outside reading is all available on the Web. The worksheets will count as test scores and are to be done individually. In contrast, you can work together on the test cases, including the analysis, your observations, and recommendations. This joint project will be your final exam. Do you have any questions?”

Kyle looks over the assignments and then hands them to his wife. When she finishes she looks at Kyle a moment and says, “This’ll work.”

Kyle and KK both shake their professor’s hand and thank him for his effort to accommodate them in this difficult time. In response he also expresses his condolences over their loss.

This professor leaves and Paula ushers in the instructor for their Small Business Management class. When he sits he asks both Paula and Dean Smally to remain. The instructor then turns to Kathleen and asks, “Young lady, what was your relationship with CyberFun?”

“I was a part-time assistant manager.”

“Was that your full relationship with the company?”

Confused, she looks to Kyle for direction. He nods in response so she answers, “Kyle, my brother, and I started the company. My brother gave us his share in the company as a wedding present.”

“And, if my contacts are correct, you recently sold the business. Is that correct Kyle?”

“Yes, Sir.”

“And how much did you get and what was your debt?”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close