Shiloh - Cover

Shiloh

Copyright© 2005 Ernest Bywater & R. Michael Lowe aka The Scot

Chapter 36: Not so Soft

Monday morning Peter takes Kyle and Charlotte into the office and Kyle is soon at work reviewing and approving paperwork. Some of it requires decisions and he makes them. By lunchtime he’s caught up on the paperwork he must handle as CEO. The afternoon is spent with more interviews of senior executives, but from the next tier to those of his last round of interviews. A lot more had been scheduled, but the people resigned and were allowed to leave at short notice. The trouble makers and deadwood are jumping ship while they still can. The day is very long and very busy for Charlotte, Kyle, and their staff. They work until after six and head home for a late dinner, but with a feeling of having accomplished a lot during the day.


Mid-morning on Monday nine people are sitting in a nice conference room reading reports while they wait for the last three to arrive. Just as the clock reaches the scheduled starting time the door opens and the final three walk in. Carl Edmondson follows Harry Bennett in with Rob on his heels. They take their usual seats and the meeting opens with Carl saying, “Some days ago the body of Wilson-Davies came through the portal. It looked like he’d been killed in a cave in. I sent Malcolm Bennett to Chaos to find out what the situation was. He has not reported back, and he should have. We’ve had no report from Jason on how LaMas is doing. Also, a contact in the Texas police sent me an email with a drawing of David Bellows, it’s doing the rounds of the law enforcement services with a request to identify. His name’s been sent back to the Department of Justice. The drawing is that of a corpse. Last week I sent another aide to Chaos to find out what’s happening. He reported back. The town of Collective where General Bellows set up a military base with a thousand experienced troops is very changed. Our people are no longer there and the base is gone, but the town is now surrounded by a wood wall and an odd trench. It now has fort like entrance gates. Also, the village of Sable which is nearer to Shiloh and had a combat force based at it. That force is gone and the village finished building a strong wood defensive wall while John watched. He managed to check the mine, and it has caved in. He wasn’t able to hang around as the Shiloh people now have a major horse ranch in the next valley. One odd item is our stores of stishovite in our main compound are gone. No one saw it happen, or knows how, it just isn’t there now. In short, our two bases nearest Shiloh have been destroyed, along with over two thousand troops, and the enemy has turned them into strong bases for themselves. We have two senior staff known dead and two more missing, believed captured. I’m sure these new setbacks are the actions of Kyle Alexander, he’s becoming a real pain in the ass.”

Harry Bennett sounds very upset while he says, “It seems the removal of Jonas and his replacement by his grandson was a major error by us. We didn’t think Jonas could really hurt us, it just made things easier if we had Shiloh. Now he’s gone and his replacement is really hurting us on all fronts.”

Carl glares at Harry, “Maybe it did! We have to deal with what we have. I gave orders for our teams to work on capturing Kyle so we can deal with him on Chaos. Since we can’t get a reliable location or track of him in or near El Paso, except when he’s at CyberFun, they’re going to try while he’s in Houston. They have a source inside Texas State Energy that can get us his schedule. They’ll work something out. Another team is looking to try to get him or his wife at CyberFun. They still work as part-time managers there. The clients are all college kids, so a couple of armed teams should be able to terrorize the kids while they remove their target. The team leaders are working on plans. Now, let’s get on to our other business. How’s the discussions going with the government?” The talk moves on to other matters.


Thursday morning Kyle goes into the office early and leaves there for an important meeting in Galveston, some of the office staff are going with him for this meeting with one of the major shippers they deal with in Galveston. It’s only about an hour’s drive so Peter is driving them and they’re doing some paperwork on the way. In the car are Peter, Stel, Dick, Jenny, Pat - one of the other new staff, and Kyle. They’re soon on the I 45 (the Gulf Freeway) and will stay on it until they turn off at the Emmett F Lowry Expressway to take them into Texas City.

They’re passing Ellington Airport when Peter says, “Heads up, we got two or more tails and they’re closing up.” Everyone puts the papers away and Kyle leans over the back seat to get the heavy duty body armor to pass out. They all wear some high-tech light-weight body armor all the time, but this is combat standard stuff. He also passes out the helmets with bullet resistant shields kept in the box in the back. Stel is getting out the MP-5/40s stored under the seat - they’ve ten stored there, each has four spare magazines clipped to the side of the rifle butt. In a few minutes they’re ready for combat. Jenny slips Peter’s gear on him while he drives. She can’t do up the armor, but she slips it over his head and puts the helmet on him. After a bit of wriggling about Peter has his gear sitting right and done up with his MP-5 on the seat beside him.

Kyle asks, “Is it my imagination or are those two SUVs about half a mile up front of us pacing us?”

Peter replies, “You tagged them right, Boss. Two up front and three behind. I wonder where they’ll jump us!”

Kyle checks Google maps on his laptop, “There’s a few good spots along here, but I’ll put my money on the stretch just after the Holland Road exit. Less likelihood of witnesses and a more open area. I’d also bet on another four or five car loads to cover the side roads.”

They’re all a bit tense while they drive along, the sort of tension that comes when you know combat is just minutes away. The tension that comes from waiting for the enemy to strike first because you can’t.

Kyle called it; just after the Holland Road exit the front cars slow down as they near two cars sideways across the road and the rear cars speed up. They also notice three SUVs going the other way slow down while two more come up to pace them on the side road to their right.

When Peter starts to slow down armed men pour out of the cars across the road. Kyle snaps out, “Jenny, get the rest of those MP-5 mags out. Peter, hit it and smash on through.” Stel stands and opens the sunroof, sliding it back, but leaving the combat panels locked away.

The engine of this car is very overpowered; unlike the muscle cars you see people drive around the street this is designed to be power without much sound so people can’t tell its real power. The car speeds up while Peter accelerates. It takes a moment for those at the stopped cars to realize he isn’t stopping. Everyone in the car braces for the impact just before he hits the two cars facing up the road in the rear.

Both hit cars are punched forward and to the sides into the cars they stopped between, several of the armed men are unable to get out of the way and are run over by their own vehicles, three by the two facing up the road and four by the two vehicles across the road being pushed a bit sideways by the first two vehicles.

Peter’s passengers regain balance from the impact and open the passenger windows a little while Stel stands on the seat to stick out of the sun roof. The attackers are still staggering from jumping out of the way when Kyle’s team opens up on them with three shot bursts aimed at their necks: they can all see they’re wearing body armor. Stel spots and shoots three injured rolling around on the ground, she figures she can kill them now or later, so she opts for now while it’s safer. In seconds they’re through the roadblock and leaving over a dozen dead behind.

The cars pacing them on the side road open their windows and guns stick out. Kyle and Stel see this, so they aim at the cars. Both put a burst into the front car. It suddenly veers hard right and goes into a roll, tossing people out as it goes. The following vehicle is unable to avoid hitting the first one or two thrown out, so their fire is all over the place due to the human speed bumps on the road. Kyle and Stel give accurate return fire, killing two of the gunmen and the driver. This car veers and goes into a roll as the driver is blown sideways by the three round burst into his head and shoulder.

Jenny starts to laugh and Peter ask, “What’s so damn funny?”

“One of the guys who survived the blockade hit stepped into the gap to get a shot straight down the road at us, but he got there just in time to be clipped and knocked flying by one of his own cars. I like it when the enemy scores an own goal.”

Kyle orders, “Pat, call the emergency number for the police and tell them what’s happening and also call the Texas Rangers.” Pat pulls out his phone and hits the correct speed dial.

They all take a moment to change magazines while Kyle and Stel look about them. The three SUVs headed the other way are now racing the wrong way while they try to catch up with them, and are causing some traffic mayhem as they do. The four SUVs from behind them are racing after them. Stel can see the biggest danger to the public are the cars going the wrong way. She says, “Kyle, give me the M-four.”

In a moment she has the M4 from under the seat in her hands and is taking careful aim at the pursuing vehicles going the wrong way. She leads the first while she aims at the driver. A three round burst and the driver has no face. His body goes sideways and the car veers hard. It’s soon sliding along with the second SUV that was right behind it slammed into the side of it as they couldn’t slow down enough when it rolled and dropped speed a lot. The civilian traffic is going very wide around this moving mess. It soon comes to a halt and is left behind. The third vehicle stops to make pick up on their people still alive.

The last four cars are speeding to catch up when Stel turns on them and puts a burst into the front wheel of the front SUV. The tire blows and the corner digs into the road, in seconds it’s flipped over and is skidding on its flattened roof. Another burst and that’s two down. The last two slow down and stop to make pick up on their people.

Just as Peter turns off the I 45 a bunch of police cars go screaming up the I 45 with their lights and sirens on. A police station-wagon comes to a screeching halt, does a u-turn, and heads off after them, still with its siren on. Kyle says, “Pull over, Peter.”

The others are picking up the spent cartridge cases in the car. The SUV is still in good working order, but the front grill has to be damaged while the headlights are probably gone. Kyle hopes that’s what this cop has seen and is checking out.

The police car stops and two officers get out with their hands on their guns while they approach the SUV. They both go white when Kyle pops up through the sunroof to cover them with the MP-5. He says, “Don’t even flinch. I sincerely hope you’re genuine police and not more hired killers. But until I know that for sure I’m not trusting you. Capiche?” They both nod their understanding. “Sergeant, you take your hand away from your pistol, get out your ID, and approach the driver. If he vouchers for you we’ll put our guns down, OK?” The Police Sergeant nods as he slowly reaches for his ID. He walks up to show it to Peter, who uses his cell phone to verify it through the Texas Rangers contact he has; the check with the Rangers surprises the police officer. Peter tells Kyle it checks out. Kyle raises his rifle and puts the safety on.

One by one Kyle’s people get out to show the police their IDs and weapons licenses, both local and federal. Seeing they’re all licensed to carry and use full automatic military weapons the Sergeant asks, “Just who are you people?”

Kyle grins when he replies, “Sorry, Sergeant, you’re not authorized to know. But I will say, before I started college I was in the Eighty-second Airborne.”

The other police officer looks over and squints, a moment later he asks, “Sergeant Alexander?”

Kyle turns to give him a closer look, “Yes, Corporal Watson. How are you doing now? Is your thigh any better?”

“A bit, I get around good enough for the police, but not the army.”

“Oh, well. That happens to a lot of good men. Just remember, the job here is a lot more dangerous because the enemy isn’t so easy to spot.”

“Yeah, I know what you mean. What happened today?”

“Some mercenaries tried to stop us to kidnap me. They found out I have a good bunch of bodyguards. Hell, if this was old Rome I’d say I’ve the Praetorian Guard. We represent most of the special forces units. Ten or a dozen SUVs came at us and we trashed most of them. I hope we don’t get too big a fine for all the trash we left littering the highway as there must be thirty or so dead and injured back there.”

Both police officers shake their heads slowly while they listen. They take statements and let them get on their way again. As the Sergeant suspects if they held them the Texas Rangers would just come down and release them, so he saves himself the trouble and paperwork.

The police find ten smashed up SUVs and forty-one dead men. ID checks show them all to be ex-military and not one with a good record.

Kyle is a little late for his meeting, he walks in and says, “Sorry I’m late, but there was an unexpected traffic issue on the I four five on the way down.”

The leader of the group they’ve come to see replies, “Yes, I heard about it on the radio. A major shoot-out between some mercenaries and a well-protected kidnap victim. They didn’t say who the victim was to be. All traffic diverted to the side roads and will be for another hour.”

They sit down and Kyle opens his briefcase. He gets out a file and a cartridge case drops onto the table. It rolls across the table and the man opposite picks it up. He sniffs the smell of the propellant and raises an eyebrow when he hands it back. Kyle gives it to Jenny, saying, “Put that in the proper file when we get back to the car. And remind me to have Peter send this one back for repairs while we use the spare car.” She nods while the others go a bit wide eyed with surprise. The meeting goes well and they head back to Houston just after lunch.


News of the attack travels fast through the security guards seeing to the safety of the Alexander family. Thus, when KK gets called in to be the afternoon and night manager at CyberFun due to an illness the Yukon she goes in has a full load of KK and eight guards. She shakes her head at the large group, but she appreciates their concern.

Sadly, their concern is proven to be justified that afternoon.

KK starts work at 15:00 that afternoon. At 16:00 KK is on the register with Sonny sitting on a stool near her. He’s looking out the window when three large vans come to a screeching halt in front of the café and armed men start getting out of them. Sonny yells, “Contact, everyone on the floor, now!” While all the clients hit the floor KK and all of the bodyguards draw their handguns and open fire.

The first the attackers know of any trouble is when the glass front of CyberFun shatters and nine of their men drop dead with lead headache removing tablets in their heads. Before they can all finish getting out of the vans the twenty-four attackers are dying, some with multiple hits. Even the three drivers are shot, just to be on the safe side. KK puts her gun away, picks up the phone, and calls the police as well as the Texas Rangers to tell them of the attack and the outcome. She also has the clients shifted into one of the game rooms so they can finish their food and drink without disturbing the scene.

Within ten minutes the students on hand have told all their friends and the shootout at CyberFun is the talk of the campus. Almost the whole student body comes to see the place before it’s cleaned up. The police are happy to take statements from just KK and a few student witnesses. KK thinks the Texas Ranger Captain had a bit of influence on that. None of her bodyguards have to give statements or be identified beyond being licensed armed guards on hand. The place is cleaned up within an hour and a temporary plywood front window is put in place.

Doctor Narduchi is shocked to learn of the attempts, but happy with the outcomes. Business at CyberFun is very hectic that night. Twice the clientèle they usually have for an ordinary Thursday night.

Kyle is not happy when he hears about the attack on KK, he’s almost as unhappy about it as she is to hear about the attack on him. In an interesting side-play of the day’s events Sonny says to Nina, “I do not think the people responsible for this will be too happy once Kyle and KK catch up with them!” Nina grins as she nods agreement. She’s seen some very pissed off people in her time, but KK is well beyond that today.


After getting off the phone to KK, Kyle is on the phone to Paula to ask, “Paula, in light of the attacks on KK and me today I want to get some top security for Stanley Patterson in case they go after him as a way to get at us. Can you get me another car like ours and security staff that I pay for?”

Doctor Narduchi gives an immediate reply, “Kyle, he’d be at risk for a few weeks while I got them organized and using some of your cars would weaken the security around you. If Stanley doesn’t need security permanently why not just hire a top service and have them provide everything? I can give you the name and number of one that’s often used by my other employer.” After a few more words on the attacks she gives him the name and number of someone to call in Austin, Texas.

Kyle hangs up. He dials the number as he thinks about the name, he once knew someone of the same name and it’s not a common one. The phone is answered and the voice sounds right, so Kyle says, “Hello, is this the same Mason Dixie who was in the Fifth Special Forces Group?”

A very wary response is given, “Yes, it is, who are you, and what do you want?”

“Well, Colonel, this is Kyle Alexander and I want to hire your people to provide top security for a good friend and employee of mine, plus his wife.”

A much warmer voice replies, “Acting Sergeant Kyle Alexander of the Eighty-second Airborne? Why do you need top security for this man and his family?”

“Yes, Colonel, that’s me. Although they made the acting a permanent rank just far enough ahead of my separation from the service for it to make a difference with my final pay and retirement provisions. If you keep up with the current events you’ll be aware of an attempt to kidnap my wife at a place called CyberFun in El Paso this afternoon and an attempt to kidnap me on the I four five near Galveston this morning. I already have the Praetorian Guard protecting us, but I can’t recruit any more in time to help my employee right now and his need is only short term. A friend says you often do some work for The Company that sometimes employs them, so they suggest I hire you.”

Colonel Dixie thinks on few things while he listens. He runs a business that does general security and protection work as part of their cover for doing work for the US intelligence community. It’s got two general contact numbers, one for the general public and one for those in the know within the community, but Kyle called on his direct line - one not listed or connected with the company and is on a very limited access list. He also notices how Kyle emphasized ’The Company’ to indicate he’s talking about the CIA without saying it outright. All showing he has some very important contacts. Dixie responds, “Well, Kyle, what level do you want and for how long? It’s costly!”

“Colonel, ideally I’d like a platoon from the SFG, but I doubt I can get any more of them, let alone a full platoon of SFG. My man, Stanley Patterson, is in El Paso, he’s my friend as well as my attorney. He’s coordinating the set up and management of a new Internet business for me, it went live a bit over a week ago and has already made me over five million dollars, so the cost of this is not important to me. His care and safety is, so is that of his wife. The main danger is from an extreme right-wing group headed by Carl Edmondson. I figure the danger they represent to me personally will be over, one way or another, within a year, maybe earlier. So I don’t know how long he’ll need protecting. But the service will require highly protected vehicles, armed drivers, armed guards, and a twenty-four hour watch on his home and business. Considering who gave me your number I suspect we may have the same car service. I’ve got a car going back to them for some panel work as a result of this morning, so you should be able to see the level of security we’re talking about if you drop by to look at it.”

“I know of Carl and his group. They’ve some of the most dangerous mercenaries around. It was his people that went down today?”

“Yes, Carl now has about sixty or so mercenaries less on his payroll. My people are good, many are ex Special Forces. KK and I know how to use guns as well, so we even help out in taking the bad guys down and we all wear good armor while out and about.”

“I was looking to hire a bunch of people who were getting ready to leave the service and they all suddenly went off the radar because they had civilian jobs already. I wonder if you hired them. There were a few I really wanted, Maria Garcia, Nina Rodriguez, and Estelle Martin, did you steal them from me?”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close