The Universe - or Nothing
Chapter 22

Public Domain

Drummer expected the call.

“Drummer,” Narval said as the door closed behind the guard and they were alone, “UIPS perception of me as a threat can be as effective a weapon as my transforming the threat into the deed itself.”

Drummer chose caution. “How so, Mr. President?”

Narval peered sharply at Drummer as he leaned his heavy body back, and folded ring-encrusted hands across his paunch. He shifted his gaze to the ceiling and half-closed his eyes.

“The UIPS now perceives us as having demonstrated a capability for military actions against their vital interests. If we follow up with threats and menacing gestures against Slingshot, the effect may unnerve them, to say the least. How do you see it?”

“It seems to me we’ve gone far beyond mere threats,” Drummer’s tone, now grim, continued. “Raiding and harassing their transports, attacking and destroying UIPS patrollers in the Zone, and now, the inventory tax. We formally notify them by Proclamation that we’ll lay siege to the Log Depot, we’ve boarded one of their armed transports and disabled its armaments. These are not empty threats and impetuous gestures.”

“Even so, they are prologue, Drummer. Hear me.”

Narval twisted his rings, first in one direction then opposite. Lowering his eyes to his hands, he paused often between words, choosing them with care.

“Here in the Outer Region, the separate nations are convulsed by internal struggles for power both internal to their sovereignty and within the family of independent satellites that orbit their host planet. Their political philosophies are diverse, lack cohesion, and have powerful advocates or opponents, some openly, others covert. The Heads of State are insecure and fear political coups. Rapid changes in leadership cannot be ruled out.”

Drummer watched Narval eyes caress his entwined fingers.

“If new leaders arise and take over the reins of power from incumbents, so much the better for me. New governments will need time to become entrenched, create lines of authority and accountability, and install bureaucracies responsive to the wishes of a new elite. I repeat, confusion in the ranks, within other governments, is to my advantage.”

“Can you count on such events materializing?”

“Of course not.”

Narval wagged a finger at Drummer.

“But the uncertainty within regimes that these disruptions can, and may occur, dissipates and weakens their energies. If they fear enemies from within, and suspect enemies from outside, then they are diseased and warrant being replaced by a daring and skillful master.”

“Who might that be?”

“Me.”

“I’m not sure I understand.”

“Then listen carefully, because you play a vital role in my plans.”

Narval motioned a now openly apprehensive Drummer to the chair beside his desk. As Drummer sat, Narval leaned close.

“My strategy has two facets: one involves INOR, the other, the UIPS. They are interdependent.”

Unfolding his clasped hands, Narval’s fingers drummed the desk.

“I repeat, with INOR in turmoil no head of state can feel secure. New philosophies surface and attract supporters, occasionally, even strong leaders. If forces with objectives opposing mine move into the Outer Region, I will not sit by idly. I will intervene, even if it means imposing the most stringent discipline and controls.”

“With respect, President Narval, does Planet Pluto have the right to intervene into the affairs of other nations?”

Narval scowled, recovered, and snickered.

“Power gives us rights we would not have otherwise. When the old United Planetary System decided to use Planet Pluto as the forward base for Slingshot, they invested the planet with some of their most advanced technologies. Other communities throughout the Outer Region are just that: places where people live, work, play, consume and little else.

“Slingshot has given Planet Pluto a far greater role in the solar scheme. And now, a role that was entirely unexpected when Slingshot was first planned, dissolution of the unified solar government released us from UIPS domination. We gained opportunities to fashion and strengthen an infrastructure, and freedom to confuse our INOR neighbors with a melange of schemes to satisfy their greed. Slingshot technology, facilities, and materiel give to us, more than to any other member of INOR, the means to attain our aspirations. Power creates its own logic, Drummer.

“To answer your question: I will intervene into the affairs of other nations when it is to my benefit to do so.”

Narval’s hands clenched into fists. He pounded the top of his desk in a tattoo as he glared at Drummer through eye slits embedded in fat.

“Understand me, Drummer,” Narval shrilled. “I will be the dominant force in INOR, and that’s only the beginning.”

Narval quieted, each warily observing the other. Hesitatingly, Drummer tried to respond to Narval’s incredible declaration.

“Is that what’s behind your recent Proclamation to the UIPS on a new foundation for interregional relationships?”

“Partly.”

“What else is there?”

“Unfortunately, we cannot repeat Tornado Six. When I approved it, I intended it as a one-time operation to, shall we say, test the waters. It succeeded through your command, and the extraordinary initiative of Brad Curtin. We must now go on to other probing and design new confrontations from which the UIPS will be forced to retreat. Our tactics will, at times, include diversions, as we must keep both INOR governments and the UIPS off-balance. They must be kept guessing -- not certain -- where I will move next.”

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close