The Universe - or Nothing - Cover

The Universe - or Nothing

Public Domain

Chapter 37

Drummer and Brad walked the corridor leading to the Dragon’s bridge. The battle cruiser, aligned with its sisters in countdown on catapults in galleries and tunnels across Planet Pluto, was minutes from launch to Point Icarus.

Accompanied by a party of officers, Brad had completed the final formal inspection and sign-off of the Plutonian warships committed to the operation. Myra, Hodak, Adari and Kumiko had trailed along as specialists, respectfully responding to technical questions tossed at them by the official inspection party.

The Sentinels took Zolan’s death hard, aware but unable to share their grief with words that might be overheard by their enemy. They were in a somber mood difficult to hide, and Kumiko’s eyes were red-rimmed. She spoke little.

Moving from one tunnel and gallery hangar to another, the inspection team had checked the readiness of command and control, function systems, weapons readiness, logistic support and all that bore on their mission. Openly enthusiastic and congratulatory to ships’ crews on what he observed, Brad was inwardly appalled at the strength of Narval’s fleet. Combined with the INOR forces coming to join them at Point Icarus, the slim forces that the UIPS maintained in the Plutonian Special Zone faced an overwhelming adversary.

At the companionway to the command deck, Brad deferred to Drummer. Drummer acknowledged the courtesy with a slight smile and nod. They ascended, and Brad closed the door.

Drummer strode to the forward bulkhead, paused, and drew a small device from his pocket. He moved casually about the compartment, meanwhile reading the device’s indicators. Brad watched him in silence. After two full turns Drummer pocketed the device and faced Brad.

“Routine precautions,” Drummer said with a shrug. “This deck compartment is free of both sight and sound bugs. How did the inspection go? Are we prepared and on schedule?”

“A few glitches here and there, but nothing serious. I’ve instituted corrective actions, and we’ll be ready.”

Drummer nodded uneasily. Brad waited. Drummer’s next words came with awkward hesitation.

“Ah -- when Narval gave us his final orders, I -- ah -- sensed, correct me if I’m wrong, some misgivings on your part.”

“Misgivings? What do you mean?”

“Before we proceed, I must have your word that whatever we discuss here will be held by you in the strictest confidence. Have I your word?”

Brad stared long and hard at Drummer. He thought back to Scarf’s accusations and threats preceding the fight in the Charnel Pit. Did Drummer really support Narval? What was Drummer’s real objective? Time was short; yet Brad had to be certain.

“You have my word.”

“Now respond to my first statement.”

“Affirmative.”

Drummer gave a heavy sigh and motioned Brad to a bench along a bulkhead. They sat and stared at the bulkhead opposite.

“How far will you go to take the Terminals?” Drummer asked.

“Destructively?”

“Yes.”

“You’re in command of the combined fleet, Drummer. You tell me.”

A deep silence settled between them. Drummer brought his eyes around to where he could observe Brad’s profile. His breath became shallow.

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close