Star Guardian 2 - Cover

Star Guardian 2

Copyright© 2019 by Duncan7

Chapter 4: Pursuit

We did not waste time to get changed out of our suits. With Jem leading and Laine following, we moved quickly to the main bridge. On the tactical display we could see images of the trading post. Parts of it had broken off. There were no lights to be seen.

“Ship, any life signs remaining aboard the station?” asked Jem.

“Negative,” replied Ship. I expected as much. I certainly lost no tears for the two guards we left behind.

“And you know where Koluna was taken?”

“Confirmed. Based on their direction before they entered hyperspace, they are headed for an unoccupied system about six days travel from here. I took the liberty of directing a cloaked probe to attach itself to the hull of their vessel.”

“Wow! Good thinking,” said Jem.

“The safe return of the crew is a priority protocol. The commander ordered me to use all available resources to enable her recovery,” replied Ship.

“This unoccupied system, is it likely to be another pirate base? Will they have an ambush prepared for us?” I asked.

“Good point. Ship, take us to this system, but plan to overshoot and exit hyperspace on the far side of the system. When we arrive, engage cloak and enter the system in stealth mode,” ordered Jem.

“Confirmed,” replied Ship. Soon, the hyperdrive came online, and we left the remains of the trading post behind us.


Jem turned to Laine. “Laine, I am sorry for the loss of your crewmates, at least some of them. We checked and there were no remaining life signs aboard the station. Our priority now is to rescue Koluna.”

“Thank you. I understand,” said Laine.

“Your work aboard the trading post is over. Our investigation is not. You have been helpful to us and I would like to swear you in as crew, at least for the duration of this investigation. It upgrades your status aboard this vessel, with additional rights and responsibilities. You may resign after the investigation is concluded. And one other thing, as crew, you no longer report to Tobis — if he still lives. If you will accept my leadership as captain, please indicate in the affirmative.”

“Captain, I accept your leadership. I will work with you to get Koluna back and bring those responsible to justice. They will answer for the murder of officer Marwin and the destruction of the station. Many space-faring races used the trading post,” said Laine.

“Excellent! Welcome to the crew. Ship, please log the time and upgrade the status of Laine to that of crew. Assign her crew quarters and whatever else is due,” said Jem.

“Confirmed. Welcome to the crew Laine. Crew quarters are on level six, your name is on the door of your cabin.” Said Ship.

“Thank you,” said Laine.

“You’re welcome Laine,” said Ship. Jem looked at me surprised. I had to chuckle at that one, it had been a long time coming.


Ship reminded us, “Attention, you three need to visit decontamination.”

We had been aboard the Trading Post and could have picked up various things such as viruses and parasites. Also Laine was new to our vessel. We left the main bridge and went directly to the decontamination area.

“If you like I can wait for you to finish,” I offered.

Jem and Laine both turned to look at me. “You don’t have to. I am not shy,” said Laine. I knew on space vessels, there is little modesty.

“Yes, join us commander. I need your help,” said Jem. She had a strange look on her face I could not work out. I could not tell if it was an invitation or a command either. So we all went in together.

We had to remove our clothing, which was a little harder for Jem and I. The away team suits had an airtight kind of zip that opened from the neck to about the waist. Jem helped me and I helped her peel her suit off. I was glad for these suits; they saved me twice so far.

Laine watched us disrobing briefly then hurried to catch up with us.

Next we entered the shower area, and we thoroughly washed while the built in scanners identified and eliminated any contamination. I made a point of not looking too much at Laine. I did not understand the social rules among females of different races, so my common sense leaned toward caution over curiosity. Also I was feeling tired. We had got no rest since we first boarded the Trading Post.

Laine had no problem being physically close and right in our faces. I might have to discuss the concept of personal space with her. On Tian Prime we all kept our distance. While under the showers she asked “How many more crew are there?”

“There were three. Once we find and rescue Koluna there will be four including you,” said Jem.

“Oh? I thought there were more. This is a large vessel for just three beings,” Laine commented.

“Once there were many Baglogi. That time is past. We didn’t advertise our numbers when we were on the station. But I am glad you joined us,” replied Jem.

“I am glad to be here too,” said Laine.

We moved out of the shower and dried off and put on some fresh clothing. I could feel two sets of eyes on me. It didn’t bother me. I was used to being studied my entire life on Tian Prime.

“I need to rest. We all do,” I finally said. “Perhaps we can plan to meet up for breakfast after we are rested.”

“Sounds like a good plan,” smiled Jem. Laine smiled too.

I left the decontamination area and went off towards our cabin on level six. Jem and Laine followed. My mind was still thinking about Koluna. As we passed Laine’s cabin we bid her goodnight. Jem and I were out like a light as soon as we got into bed.


After a good night’s sleep we were awoke by Ship. Day and night lose their meaning in space, but most beings depend on a day/night cycle for health. Ship adjusted the lighting to morning intensity. Jem and I got up and did our usual routines. Soon after, Laine arrived at our cabin to join us for breakfast.

“Good morning Laine. Come in and take a seat,” said Jem. We all looked rested. We had been through a tough experience and you don’t know how drained you are until afterwards.

“Ship, you have scanned Laine’s ID chip by now. Is she safe to sample some Earth food?” asked Jem.

“Confirmed. Most Earth cuisine is compatible,” replied Ship.

“What is Earth cuisine?” asked Laine.

I turned to Laine, “Earth is a planet my parents originated from, but I have never been there. I suspect Jem is trying to introduce me to their cuisine.”

Jem was at the food dispenser, “Ship, three orders of bacon and eggs breakfast with toast and coffee.” She then carried plates of hot food and cups of steaming beverage to the table.

“I found this Earth dish recently in our data banks and I wanted to try it,” said Jem.

“Thank you,” I smiled. I was not so keen on anything from Earth but I did not want to offend her for taking the effort.

Laine took a sip of her beverage, “mmm, this is good. What do you call this?”

“It is called coffee. It has a mild stimulant effect,” replied Jem. I took a sip of mine. It was ok, but I could take it or leave it.

Jem took a bite of a piece of bacon. It was synthesized proteins and fat molecules that replicated a piece of bacon to be more accurate, but who were we to care. She smiled and then tried some for the fried egg. I had no memories of food like this, so it was alien to me. I quietly ate and watched them eat.

“This toast it reminds me of something from my home world. It is a bit dry though,” said Laine.

“Perhaps if you mix it with the eggs, it will be more to your liking,” offered Jem. Laine tried that. In the back of my memories, the word ‘sandwich’ came to mind, but I could not remember what it was. I soon dismissed the thought. It seemed wrong to be happily eating breakfast with Koluna gone.

“Brian?” said Jem. Somehow she had moved and was facing me.

“Huh? What?” I responded.

“You were unresponsive. I was talking to you,” said Jem.

“I’m sorry. I was distracted. What did you say?”

“I was asking you about something. When we were on the station, you asked Ship to ping Koluna’s chip. What did you mean?” asked Jem.

“Ship, please ping Jem’s chip,” I said.

“Confirmed,” said Ship. Jem’s arm had several involuntary twitches.

“Ohh! So Ship can send a signal to our chip?” asked Jem.

“Yes, it works both ways. You can send and receive. And Ship can trace your location within a certain range,” I said.

“What is that?” asked Laine.

“It’s something Brian came up with to help locate lost crew,” said Jem.

“We each have a chip in our arm, like an ID chip. Most scanners will see it as an ID chip. It allows us to track down lost crew. I’ll provide you with yours after breakfast,” I added.

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close