Star Guardian 2
Chapter 7: To The Ori Confederation

Copyright© 2019 by Duncan7

Space travel takes time. The hyperspace engines moved Ship and the other vessel at incredible speeds, but the distance between star systems is huge. Our journey to the border with the Ori Confederation would take over twelve days.

Ship had the other vessel travel in close formation, which allowed communication between the two vessels. Even if there was a break in communication, Ship assured me that the data port probe could work autonomously, keeping the crew locked down.

Tobis was still in the brig, effectively in solitary confinement. None of us wanted to interview him. We relied on Ship to monitor and report any issues.

I awoke feeling confused. I had stayed up going over various things in my head until I was too tired to stay awake. Then I must have slept for a long time. Without looking at a chronometer I had no idea what time it was.

The profession I had chosen, or rather had chosen me, was such that we had long intense periods where we were locked in a life and death struggle. It was only during these periods of interstellar travel I got to let down my guard. Sleeping late was a luxury. I realized I needed the rest to recover, to recharge my energy.

I pulled myself out of the bed to do my usual washroom activity. When I returned I finally noticed that Jem and Koluna were not in the bed, Laine was though. She was sprawled out, still asleep. This is new.

My mind was still rather fuzzy, so I went over to the food dispenser and got myself a cup of coffee. I found it improved my thinking. I sipped on my coffee for a while, then I got dressed and went to find Jem.


I walked into the main bridge and found Jem and Koluna there sitting and talking.

“Good morning Bri-an!” said Koluna.

“Good morning,” I replied. I took a seat with them. “Was I out long?”

“We all had a stressful time with the Trading Post and the pirates. Extended rest is ordered for all crew, at least until we reach the Ori Confederation,” said Jem.

I smiled at Jem. “When I awoke, Laine was in the bed.”

“Yes?” asked Jem.

“I have no idea what happened,” I said. Koluna and Jem smiled.

“I believe you Bri-an. You were completely out when we got up. You would not have noticed when she got in beside you,” said Koluna.

“Ok, then I don’t understand,” I said.

“You are in short supply, it seems like we may have to sleep in shifts,” said Jem. Koluna chuckled.

“My Tian education did not prepare me for this. Can you please explain what is going on?” I asked.

Jem took my hand in hers. “Space-faring races are beings. We all have needs for companionship, comfort, even love. Laine looks up to you, sees you as a hero who saved her life, rescued Koluna and defeated the pirates.”

“Yes, she has it bad,” said Koluna.

“But we worked as a team. I did my part, as we all did,” I protested.

“Her estimation of your contribution is a matter of perception. But it would be cruel to reject her advances. She has reached out to you. In fact, I am ordering you to be gentle with her feelings,” said Jem.

“Understood. Thank you for the benefit of your wisdom. Social interaction is not my strength,” I said.

“You are welcome,” replied Jem.

“If you don’t have feelings for her, just think of it as sharing mutual support and comfort. It is for all our benefit we do not have bad feelings between us, and we are relaxed and get along well,” added Koluna.

“With a larger crew, it would all happen by mutual consent. But as Koluna said, you are in short supply,” Jem said, smiling.

“If we were still aboard the Opolu Naa, eventually you would have connected with other crew. You didn’t have time before it was destroyed,” said Koluna.


After a while I left the main bridge to spend time alone. I needed to take my mind off things, so I got into one of Ship’s training courses. Onboard vessels there were usually computer based training courses to allow the crew to learn skills needed to do their jobs. As I said before, space travel takes time. Beings need to develop their skills, learn new ones. You can’t just go back to the spaceport to train a new engineer. You need to be self-sufficient out here.

It also was a way to while away the time between systems, or to hide from other crew while you get your head sorted out. Ship’s training courses were especially good and kept me engaged.

Hours later, I was deep into schematics for a plasma flow regulator when I felt my arm twitching.

“Ship, did you just ping me?” I asked.

“Confirmed. Jem requested I get your attention,” replied Ship.

“My presence is required?”

“Confirmed. Main dining lounge,” replied Ship. This was different, we normally ate in our cabin. One food dispenser is the same as another as far as I was concerned.

“I had better go then. Thank you for the diversion Ship,” I said. I got up and left for the main dining lounge.


Ship was built a long time ago for a much larger crew. But when you are only three (or now four) beings, you limit yourself to just a few areas. I don’t recall ever eating in the main dining lounge.

Walking along I realized I was hungry. I had only had a coffee when I woke in the morning, and I suspect a whole day had passed.

I entered a large room that had several tables and chairs set up for some kind of communal eating area. There were several food dispensers along one wall. Also on one side of the room were some large sofas, facing a large display on the wall. Sitting on one sofa were Jem, Koluna and Laine.

When I approached, Jem stood up.

“Hello Brian. Welcome to the main dining lounge. Please take a seat.”

I looked to one of the other sofas, but I noticed Koluna quietly and slowly shaking her head.

I sat down in the same sofa next to Laine, who smiled at me. I nodded briefly to acknowledge her, then turned back to Jem.

“As captain I have a responsibility for morale. We need to get along together. When we have to deal with pirates, or whatever duties are needed, we have to look out for each other. So I have some new policies I want to introduce.

“At least once per day cycle, we will eat a meal together. It could be breakfast in a cabin, or dinner in here. I want it to be a social event where we spend time together as a group. It should be fun too.

“Try to spend recreation time with each other. Look for opportunities to interact. Get to know each other. Seek common interests. Brian, I need you to set a reasonable limit on your time alone with Ship. We talked about this before.

“If you have a concern or a worry or anything that involves another crew, first try to discuss it with each other. If that does not work, come and discuss it with me.

“Tonight, we will enjoy dinner and a movie. The term movie refers to a video entertainment with categories like drama, comedy, action. I talked to Koluna, and she has selected an Ori comedy for tonight. Laine has helped select the food for this evening, and it is already on a table over there. Please get a plate and load it up and come back to this sofa. I want us to enjoy good food, good company and entertainment together.”

We all got up and went over to the table with some food on. I loaded up a plate while Laine was explaining what was what. After growing up on bland Tian food, sampling different foods was something I enjoyed. I made a point of taking some of everything Laine had selected, which earned me more smiles.

We returned to the sofa with our plates. It was a snug fit for the four of us. I ended up between Koluna and Laine.

“Ship, please dim the room lighting about half and play the selected movie,” said Jem.

We ate dinner and watched the display. Comedy was not something I experienced before on Tian Prime. It seemed to involve misunderstandings and unfortunate events to the characters. I knew I would have to discuss it with Koluna later. At least the food was enjoyable. I let Laine know which items I liked best. She smiled at me, which bothered me. I hoped the hero worship would wear off soon. I felt it was unwarranted and undesired.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close