Star Guardian 2 - Cover

Star Guardian 2

Copyright© 2019 by Duncan7

Chapter 10: Gorn’s

About an hour later I checked out of the medical facility and we all returned to the hotel. It seemed like my crewmates were stuck to me, all wanting to hold on to my arm or help me to walk. I was going to be fine. I didn’t need all this fuss.

We had gained an escort, the two security forces. In the elevator I turned to Meras. “Meras did you know commander Quon? I have a request. If you didn’t know him, perhaps you can ask a colleague.”

“I did not know him that well. I can help you. What do you need?”

“I need to get in contact with someone in the security forces who was close to commander Quon. I also need to get in touch with his sister Mina,” I said.

“Once you are safely in your suite, I will get you the contact information,” she said.

“Thank you.”


When we got into the suite, they all wanted to treat me like an invalid. I did not feel like one.

“I’m fine,” I said. Jem fetched me a coffee, which I took.

“What time is it?” I asked.

“Just past midday,” answered Jem.

“Any news from the investigators?” I asked.

“Nothing yet,” said Koluna. I sipped my coffee. It was just like aboard Ship. I suspected they downloaded the pattern for making it.

“Koluna, are your parents wanting to have lunch with us? Perhaps we could order room service and eat here? Do you want to set it up?” I asked.

“I’m on it,” she said and jumped up. Laine was looking at me expectantly.

“Laine, I will need a clean outfit,” I said. She jumped up and over to the clothing fabricator.

“Jem, I need to clean up. Could you help me with the shower? I might need someone to lean on,” I said. She smiled and took my hand. We went to the shower, stripped off, and I got to enjoy the luxury of a water shower once more. I washed off the dirt of last night’s experience.

I was clean again, and I got dressed into the new outfit with help from Jem.

Back in the lounge area, Koluna’s parents had arrived. They rushed to greet me when they saw me.

“We heard you were attacked and abducted,” her father said.

“I was also rescued this morning,” I replied. We sat down on the sofas.

“Ori Major is normally a very safe place. This kind of thing rarely happens,” her mother apologized.

“I was lucky. My friend commander Quon was killed last night,” I replied.

Jem handed me the communications device. “Meras added the contacts you wanted.”

“Thank you,” I dialled Mina.

“Mina, it’s Brian. Could you make it to our hotel this afternoon?”

“Yes, I will be there. It’s a terrible thing that happened last night,” she replied.

“I can’t talk too much on this line, I think we’re being monitored. I will see you when you get here,” I ended the call.

I looked at Koluna’s father. “Last night we shared a drink to the memory of chief engineer Yarin from aboard the Opolu Naa. She is his widow. The late commander Quon is her brother. Last night they both declared I was family to them.”

Koluna’s father nodded. They had already declared me family after I had saved their daughter the first time. To declare someone to be family meant something important in Ori customs. I did not know all the details. I figured it was just a way of saying thank you.

Food was delivered to the suite, and we enjoyed the Ori cuisine that Koluna had chosen. It was rather spicy, but that was how much of their cuisine was. We ate lots. I was especially hungry.


After lunch Koluna’s parents returned to their own suite. Laine and Koluna cleaned up after the meal. I sat with Jem and held her.

“When I heard your friend was dead, and you were missing I thought the worst. I thought I’d lost you,” said Jem.

I did not know what I could say, so I hugged her. We sat like that for a long while. Laine and Koluna gave us space.


Later Mina arrived at our suite. I greeted her, and we all sat down.

“I am sorry about your brother. I suspect the beings who killed him came after me and he got in the way. I saw him draw his weapon on them before they shot him,” I said. Mina was in tears. Koluna sat with her and held her. There was a lot of hugging going on recently. I was not very comfortable with it. I’d rather get into a firefight on an exploding space station.

I waited for her to calm down. Finally she got herself together. “You were there when he was killed?”

“Yes. After you went home, he took me for a walk by the waterfront. They attacked us there. After they shot him, they shot me with something. That was all I remember,” I replied.

“But they did not kill you,” she said.

“I suspect they wanted me for something. Perhaps they wanted to torture me. I have killed a lot of pirates, and I’ve made enemies. Fortunately, the security forces rescued me this morning before they did anything more,” I said.

“You got lucky again?”

“I will let you in on a little secret. I have a tracking chip embedded in my arm. It allowed our vessel to locate me and report it to the security forces. Without it I would be dead or as good as dead,” I replied. I pointed to my right arm. That seemed to placate her. I did not need another enemy.

“Last night you and your brother both declared me to be family. But bad fortune follows me. You lost your husband and now your brother. If you want to reverse your declaration, I would understand. If you distanced yourself from me, you might get to live longer,” I offered.

Mina and Koluna both looked at me in shock, as if I had slapped them in the face. When I saw their reactions I knew I had said something wrong. I looked to Jem, but she was no help. I grew up an orphan. I did not need family ties. It was something they needed more than I did.

Mina looked at me. “What happened to the beings who killed my brother?” she asked.

I looked to Meras, the security forces who was standing guard near the door. “Meras, could you please come over here for a moment?” She looked to her partner who nodded, and then she came over to where we were seated.

“Meras, this is Mina. Commander Quon was her brother. Please could you report on the status of my captors?”

Meras looked at me, then at Mina. “We encountered eight hostiles this morning. Six of them are dead. The other two were captured and are being questioned right now.”

“Thank you. What do you think is the life expectancy of those two beings?” I asked.

“They killed a security forces commander. I expect their life expectancy to be extremely short,” she replied with a wicked grin.

“Thank you again,” I said. Meras saluted at me and also at Mina. Then she returned to her post.

“I hope that answered your question,” I said to Mina.

“It did. Thanks to your tracking device they are all dead or as good as dead. And who’s idea was this tracking device?” She asked. I did not like where this was going.

“It was Brian’s invention,” said Koluna. “We each have one. Because of mine, my crewmates tracked me down after I was captured and they rescued me. I owe him a life debt for it.”

“Brian, because of your invention, my brother’s death was avenged. The attack was not your fault. You are still family, doubly so. But I will not be taking a stroll down by the waterfront with you,” she smiled at this. It was the first smile since she arrived.

I smiled back, “Since we are family. I have something in mind. I’d like to return to Gorn’s this evening and drink to his memory. I also want to show to beings like those who attacked us, that we are not afraid,” I said.

“I accept. Quon would not want us to cower and hide. He would not want us to stick our necks out either, but Gorn’s should be safe. Do you think there are more out there after you?”

“I don’t know. I have calls to make. You are welcome to hang out with us until it is time to go. They are my family also, so you might like to get to know each other,” I said. I took the Ori communications device from Jem to make my calls.

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close