Star Guardian 2
Chapter 29: Lagaid

Copyright© 2019 by Duncan7

Hours later aboard Ship, Jem and Koluna were talking in the main bridge when Ship alerted them.

“Attention, incoming call from the Quard ambassador marked urgent,” said Ship.

“Put him through,” replied Jem. The image of the ambassador appeared on the tactical display, and he looked disturbed.

“Captain, I have grave news. Laine and Brian were arrested the moment they entered the Lagaid embassy,” said the ambassador.

“What?? Are they not in the Lagaid embassy?” said Jem.

“The Lagaid embassy is sovereign territory. Once they stepped inside, they were subject to Lagaid laws. According to my sources, you and your crew are viewed as criminals by Lagaid,” he replied.

“What can we do? This is insane!” said Jem.

“I agree. I have been trying to reach their ambassador, and so far I am getting no response. It seems we have been duped,” he said.

“We came here in peace, we have to get them back,” said Jem.

“I am sorry, if it was on Quard soil, I could do something. Their embassy is Lagaid territory, as covered under their treaty. All I can do is attempt a diplomatic solution. But there is more,” he said.

“What?” asked Jem.

“My sources say they took Laine and Brian off planet on a diplomatic shuttle, soon after they captured them. Most likely, they are on their way to Lagaid to stand trial,” he said.

“Ship, go over sensor logs to confirm. Retrieve our shuttle on auto pilot. Prepare a course to Lagaid,” ordered Jem.

“Confirmed. Sensors confirm a shuttle docked with a Lagaid vessel two hours ago. The vessel has left the system on course for Lagaid,” replied Ship.

“Captain, as ambassador I must warn you we have alliances with both you and Lagaid. It is up to the two of you to resolve this, hopefully via diplomatic channels. Otherwise, Quard has to take a neutral stance on this dispute. Personally, I hope you will retrieve my daughter and the commander. I do not believe the charges have any merit,” said the ambassador.

“Ambassador, we will go to Lagaid to resolve this dispute. I am sorry your daughter got caught up in the middle of this. I suggest you continue with your diplomatic channels, and we will pursue our own,” replied Jem.

“I wish you safe travels captain, out,” he replied.


After our arrest we were cuffed and relieved of our devices. When they found that our uniforms had stuff built in, we were forced to change into some plain jump suits. So much for that.

The guards were not being too gentle as they dragged us into an unmarked transport. The transport took us back to the spaceport and rushed into a shuttle. The guards were practically daring us to challenge them; they were all filled with animosity to us. I did not say or do anything to give them an excuse. Now was not the time to pick a fight with a bunch of armed guards.

In the shuttle, we were pushed into a small metal cage. Once we were inside, a guard turned on something that energized the cage and it made an ominous crackling noise. I could tell that if we touched it, it would hurt. I also figured that the cage would block any signals in or out. Perhaps they learned from their operatives on Ori Major that we had tracking devices. I did not like these Lagaid, but I appreciated they were learning from past mistakes.

Laine and I sat in the middle of the cage, hoping that the shuttle didn’t get bumped about, and cause us to fall against the cage. Outside the cage, several of the armed guards stood with weapons at the ready. They were not taking any chances. I smiled at Laine. I wanted to give her hope. I had come through before, and perhaps I could pull out a miracle again. She smiled back briefly, before eyeing the guards.

The shuttle took off and ascended into orbit, where it docked with a vessel. Once docked, we were taken from the cage by the guards, and marched aboard the vessel. Here we were separated and locked in separate cells. Not long after that, I could tell from the noise of the hyper drive engines we had left the Quard system.


Jem and Koluna sat in the main bridge watching the tactical display as Ship travelled to Lagaid. The Lagaid vessel had about four hours head start, so there was no way to catch up with them before they got to their destination.

“We should have realized these Lagaid are not to be trusted,” said Jem.

“Until now, we thought the pirates were just a separate gang, and not affiliated with the Lagaid government,” added Koluna.

“That would make all of Lagaid as the enemy. That is a bigger challenge than a few pirates,” said Jem.

“We pushed back against the foe and re-took the Baglogi system,” said Koluna.

“But we had Brian then. We had the advantage of his tactical mind,” replied Jem.

“Ship, please analyze past tactics used by Brian. We need you to come up with something good to rescue Brian and Laine,” said Koluna.

“Confirmed. Recommend stealth against overwhelming opposition. Also recommend using data port probes to gain control of enemy vessels if possible,” replied Ship.

“That makes sense. Ship, have lots of your probes ready for when we arrive in system,” said Jem.

“Confirmed. All probes are ready, as per commander’s previous directives,” replied Ship.

Koluna chuckled, “Brian had Ship prepare before we even knew what we needed to prepare for.”

“I just hope we are in time,” said Jem.


I could tell from the change in the engine noise we had arrived. I wondered briefly about the Lagaid legal system. I knew we had no chance there. All my experience with Lagaid told me they did not fight fair. Well, neither did I.

Based on my experience I knew we had a few hours before we would be in orbit around their home planet. And then probably another hour for a shuttle down to the surface. I wondered why they went to such trouble. They could have killed us in the embassy back on Quard and sent a video and DNA scans.

I lay back on my bunk and tried to get some rest. I knew to find a way out of this I would need my wits.


“Attention, we will arrive in the Lagaid system soon,” said Ship.

“Ship, can you have us arrive on the far side of the system, like Brian did the time we captured Tobis?” asked Jem.

“Confirmed. Adjusting parameters,” replied Ship.

“When we arrive, cloak and deploy two cloaked probes. We will need to locate where they are holding Brian and Laine,” said Jem.

“Confirmed,” replied Ship.

About four hours after the vessel containing Brian and Laine had arrived in the system, they arrived on the far side of the system. As soon as they arrived, they winked out of sight.

On the tactical display was a map of the system with data on vessels travelling within the system. It was a hive of activity, with many vessels moving about.

“What can you tell me about this system Ship?” asked Jem.

“Most activity is around the fourth planet. This is the most likely location where Brian and Laine would be. Based upon data gathered from the memory cores of the derelict pirate vessels, I have gained access to the Lagaid system network. Analyzing...” said Ship.

“Let us know if you find anything about our crew,” said Jem. Ship moved slowly towards the fourth planet. The two cloaked probes flanked on either side, moving further apart.

“Attention captain, I have analyzed the data traffic on the Lagaid system network. On the other side of the system, towards Quard, there is a large group of about fifty vessels organized in a grid, emitting tachyon signals. Their purpose is to detect cloaked vessels entering the system from that direction,” said Ship.

“So if we had arrived on that side of the system, we would have been detected by now?” asked Jem.

“Confirmed. The number of enemy vessels suggests our chance of survival would have been low,” replied Ship.

“We can thank Brian again when we see him. I just did what he did,” said Jem.

“Yes, we owe him one for that,” said Koluna.

“What else have you discovered Ship?” asked Jem.

“There is mention of a diplomatic vessel from Quard, now in orbit around the fourth planet,” replied Ship.

“Is there much activity on this side of the system?” asked Jem.

“Negative, most of their fleets are involved in their tachyon grid, trying to catch us as we arrive,” replied Ship.

“I would like to capture some enemy vessels with data port probes, to use against the enemy. Could you have your probes lay out some data port probes and using the Lagaid system network direct a patrol or something into their path?” said Jem.

“Confirmed. Deploying data port probes. Sending directions to nearby patrols. I forged the origin of the directions as coming from system control,” said Ship.

“Excellent!” said Jem. They watched as a patrol of five vessels changed course. The tactical display showed when the data port probes attached to the vessels, and soon after the patrol came to a halt.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close