Star Guardian 2
Chapter 35: Ori Major

Copyright© 2019 by Duncan7

The blast destroyed a ground transport containing most of our security team. I was glad we weren’t in the first vehicle, or we would be dead.

In the street, pandemonium and chaos ensued. There were bodies and body parts and debris on the ground. The driver of our transport, who was an Ori security forces, said we should remain inside the transport in case of snipers waiting for us to exit. He was calling for backup.

“If we stay here, we are open to another attack. We need to move into the hotel, assuming that is secure,” I said.

“Aren’t we protected by our uniforms?” asked Laine.

“We are, to a degree. It depends on the weapons used. I doubt we can survive a large explosion like that one,” I replied.

The driver was scanning outside for threats, so far no further explosions.

“Captain, I believe there are Lagaid operatives or supporters at large on Ori Major. I don’t think anyone else on this planet is so motivated to attack us in public,” I said.

“Agreed. What do you suggest?” replied Jem.

“I have an idea,” I said.

“Do it,” she said.

I called Quon on my communicator. “Quon, prepare a pirate decoy probe. Alert Ori system control not to fire on it. Have the probe ‘appear’ as Tobis’ vessel near the planet. Have it broadcast with Tobis’ voice in Lagaid, on Lagaid frequencies. It is to order all operatives to stand down their activities and make their way to the spaceport and get a shuttle up to Tobis’s vessel. Stress the urgency.”

“Confirmed,” replied Quon. The driver turned and looked at me.

“If any shuttle tries to dock with the pirate decoy, they will be in for a surprise. Inform Ori system control to detain any shuttle that tries to dock. Patch me through to minister Tarron,” I said.

“Confirmed ... Connected,” replied Quon.

“This is minister Tarron. I just heard of the explosion. There are more security forces that should arrive at your location soon,” said the minister.

“Acknowledged minister. I wanted you to know of a trap I set for the Lagaid agents. In orbit, we are projecting a hologram of a Lagaid vessel, broadcasting a message in Lagaid for all agents to leave the planet and dock with the vessel. Please do not fire on our hologram. Detain any shuttles that try to dock with the Lagaid vessel and arrest the beings aboard,” I said.

“Understood. I need to make urgent calls,” said the minister before ending the call.

We continued to wait in the transport. By now, other vehicles arrived and Ori security forces spread out to lock down the street. Soon after, we entered the hotel, surrounded by security forces personnel.


At the hotel suite, we reunited with Mina, Quon’s sister. I was glad to see her again.

“Hello, Mina, how are you doing?” I asked.

“Well, thanks. What happened outside?” she asked.

“There are beings that seek to do us harm. I suspect they are Lagaid agents,” I said.

“And you are their favourite target. I thought you said you took steps to deal with the Lagaid,” she said.

“I did, then I came here direct from the Lagaid system. These are remnants or sleeper groups who have not received the news. The Ori government has to weed them out. Our presence here is helping to draw them into the open,” I replied.

“There hasn’t been incidents like that since your last visit,” she said.

“Don’t say that too loud, or the minister might blame us for the trouble. Then we won’t be welcome here anymore,” I said with a smile. Mina smiled back.

“I wanted to talk to you, since you are not here often,” said Mina.

“What about?” I asked.

“Do you recall what you suggested at the lawyer’s office? I invested in several businesses. Our joint portfolio is growing, and it doesn’t need any of my time,” she said.

“Congratulations!” I said. If she wanted to deliver a progress report, I could pretend to care and be glad. Building wealth on this planet meant little to me.

“I want to join your crew. There is nothing keeping me on Ori Major, and I want to do something worthwhile. What I heard about Koluna inspired me,” she replied.

“You need to talk to the captain. I don’t make staffing decisions,” I said. I sent her to talk with Jem and Laine. Jem was the captain, and I didn’t know if it wasn’t too soon after Koluna.

They huddled away in a bedroom to the suite. I didn’t see them again that evening.


I woke up the next morning alone in a huge bed. It felt decadent to have a bed this size to myself. I stretched out and I could not reach the sides of the bed from my position in the middle.

I remembered that I gave up waiting for them to finish their meeting with Mina. Perhaps they spent the whole night talking. Koluna used to talk for extended periods.

I got up and did my usual routine, topped off with a coffee from the food dispenser. I walked out into the lounge area of the suite and found Jem, Laine, and Mina.

“Good morning commander. Meet your new crewmate, Mina,” said Jem.

“Good morning. Have you introduced her to coffee yet?” I asked.

“We drank a lot of coffee last night,” replied Laine. She looked like she needed a few more hours sleep. They all did. Serves them right for wasting the night talking.

“Does she have a uniform yet?” I asked.

“Not yet,” replied Jem.

I called up Quon on my communicator. “Quon, please interface with the clothing fabricator in this suite. We need a uniform for our new crewmate Mina,” I said.

“Confirmed. Connecting ... Please ask Mina to stand in front of the scanner,” replied Quon. Mina looked at me shocked. I was just talking with the voice of her dead brother.

“I’ll explain soon. Please stand in front of the scanner,” I said. Laine helped guide her to stand in the right spot. Soon the device gathered her measurements. The fabricator produced a uniform soon after. Laine and Mina took it into a bedroom to change.

I turned to Jem. “I missed you last night. Anything I need to know?”

“Not really. I think she is a good fit. We got carried away talking,” replied Jem.

“That is a good sign,” I said. Jem nodded.

Laine and Mina returned. Mina looked the part now.

“Brian, I told Mina that you named our new vessel after her brother,” said Laine.

“Good. That saves me explaining. It seemed fitting. I hope you don’t find it weird. If I have to name another vessel, I think I will name it Koluna,” I said.

“That’s a good idea,” said Jem. I turned to Mina.

“You understand that uniform is a target to some beings out there?” I asked.

“I understand and I stand with my crew, ready to face whatever comes our way,” she replied.

It about time to leave. We left with our security detail to our appointment at the lawyer’s office.


At the lawyer’s office, our detail checked around before positioning guards outside the room.

Inside the room was Alnua the lawyer and Koluna’s parents.

Alnua greeted us. “Hello again. I recognize three of you.”

“Yes. This is Jem and Mina, whom you met before, and may I introduce Laine,” I said.

“Pleased to meet you Laine. My name is Alnua. I am retained by the estate of the late lieutenant Koluna. Mina, I take it you have joined them?”

“That is correct. I consider Brian as family; now I extend that to include Jem and Laine. I signed up as crew last night,” replied Mina.

“I’ll make a note of that change. Please take a seat and if you don’t mind I need to confirm your identities,” he took a hand-held scanner and waved it over my arm and then did the same with the others.

“The late lieutenant Koluna identified you three as family. I am instructed to divide her estate amongst you three. As Koluna was the only daughter of her parents, I invited them here today. When they pass away, they wish their estate to pass to their daughter’s estate, and will then be divided amongst you three.

“Now Brian is an Ori citizen, and eligible to a share of the estate. I have here a document conferring honorary Ori citizenship to both Jem and Laine,” he said. He punched on a tablet for a moment and then waved the scanner over Jem and Laine’s arms.

“Done! You now are Ori citizens, and eligible to a share of the estate,” he said.

“Wow!” said Laine.

“Get used to it,” I said.

The lawyer handed me a device. “This has information on the accounts formerly belonging to Koluna. You now have access to her funds. You are free to invest them jointly or separately.”

I looked at the device. The details showed they had awarded us bounties on pirates we captured and delivered last time. We had a considerable amount.

I turned to Mina. “Do you think we can combine these funds with your investments? It would be easier for us, since we are all family. I don’t know when we will return,” I asked. Jem and Laine nodded in agreement.

“That is a large sum. We need someone to oversee the funds and investments in our absence,” replied Mina.

I turned to the lawyer. “Can we retain you to oversee these funds? Or perhaps you can recommend a being you trust?” I said.

“Certainly. I can help you with that,” he said.

And that is what we did. We authorized Alnua to take care of it. He put together a short contract which we all signed.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close