Star Guardian 2 - Cover

Star Guardian 2

Copyright© 2019 by Duncan7

Chapter 42: Yastri

It turned out that we didn’t need to enter orbit around Carolus Four, as the shuttle had enough power to break orbit and meet us part way.

On the tactical display, the shuttle approached our position. Quon opened the shuttle bay door, and the shuttle entered. The door then closed.

“I have secured the shuttle in the shuttle bay. I am ready to depart the Carolus system for the Yastri system,” said Quon.

“Thank you, Quon. Please continue,” said Jem.

Our vessel adjusted course away from Carolus Four and moved to the edge of the system. Soon the hyper drive cut in and we were on our way again.

I hoped that our departure from the Carolus system marked the end of our vacation misadventure, and our encounter with the Varech. We were fortunate not to lose any crew. I also hoped the incident did not deter Mina from continuing with us. I didn’t want to return her to the Ori Confederation. That would mean travelling in the wrong direction and putting us all in danger.

“That was perhaps the shortest visit to a system. I declare the next two days to be an on-board vacation. We have no tropical beaches aboard, but it should be safer,” said Jem.

“Thank you, Captain,” I said. Her comment gave me an idea, but I filed it away for another time.


I returned to my cabin alone. I flopped on my bed to think. Too many thoughts were running inside my head.

We were returning to the Yastri system. On my last visit, I was in a hurry to rescue Jem and Koluna. I only succeeded fifty percent on that task. The Lagaid paid dearly for that.

We’d left Ship in that system and directed the AI to construct a new vessel for itself. By now, it should have something complete.

I wondered what to do with the Yastri system. We’d taken it away from the Lagaid.

We could hold on to the system or leave, clearing out our technology and restoring it to an empty system. If we kept it, we were effectively annexing it as Baglogi territory and expanding our empire. We had a crew of four and only one was Baglogi. Was it right for four beings to hold an empire of two systems?

Jem interrupted my musings. She walked into my cabin and smiled at me.

“Hello Captain,” I said. I doubted it was a formal visit, but I wasn’t in a very social mood.

She almost pouted. “Brian, are you resting or planning something?”

“I was relaxing here and contemplating what to do next,” I said.

Jem lay down beside me and leaned against me. “I’d expected as much. You need to rest,” she said.

“Sometimes I find it hard to let go of my thoughts,” I replied.

She stroked my forehead. It didn’t help, but I did not want to offend her for trying. When did I become someone who cared?

I looked at her face, concern showing. “Tell me how life a Baglogi vessel used to be,” I said. I wanted to deflect her focus away from me.

“My parents died when I was young. I don’t know how it was,” replied Jem.

This wasn’t going so well. “And after they died, Ship kept you safe by hiding?” I asked.

“Yes,” replied Jem.

“I wonder why it didn’t take you home? The foe had long destroyed the Baglogi system, but Ship was unaware then,” I said.

Jem tilted her head to one side as she considered.

“Excuse me Commander,” said Quon.

“Go ahead,” I said.

“My records show that they ordered Ship to protect Jem in deep space. Returning to the Baglogi system was not an option,” said Quon.

“So the orders to protect Jem were faulty,” I said.

“Confirmed,” replied Quon.

“If Ship had returned me to the Baglogi system after my parents died, I’d be dead too. So it worked out well,” said Jem.

“Yes. And Koluna and I would have died in that escape capsule without you being there to rescue us,” I said. I looked away.

“You miss Koluna a lot? I do,” said Jem.

“Yes,” I said.

“We can travel far away from this region of space. Somewhere the Lagaid cannot find us,” said Jem.

“Are you suggesting hiding again? As long as we put ourselves out there to protect the weak, we will end up as targets,” I said.

“I don’t remember that happening with my parents, but I was too young to know everything that was going on,” said Jem.

“Quon, please check historical data. Did the earlier crews often become the target of attacks?” I asked.

“Confirmed Commander,” replied Quon.

“More than us?” I asked.

“Commander, you have an exceptional talent for finding trouble. It is matched only by your skills at getting out of trouble,” replied Quon.

I looked at Jem and she grinned at me. I took a moment to digest our AI’s observations. Had I been seriously unlucky? Perhaps it could only get better? I doubted it.

“So peace keeping is a dangerous life. I can understand how it’s difficult to raise a family in such conditions. It explains why most Baglogi are extinct,” I said.

“We could end our mission and return to the Baglogi system. The defences you put in place there will protect us,” said Jem.

“We might have one more generation before the Baglogi die out. We don’t have the genetic diversity to maintain a species,” I said.

Jem looked glum.

“Let’s go to Yastri and visit Ship. Then you can decide what to do next,” I said. Jem nodded.


We travelled for several days back to the Yastri system. I didn’t have plans to make or new ideas for Quon to implement. I attempted to socialize with the others when I could. When they didn’t need my presence, I rested in my cabin.

The Varech should still be out there chasing our probe, thinking it was us. I didn’t expect they’d find us again.

Finally, the day came for our arrival in the Yastri system. Quon gave us warning, and we waited in the main bridge as Quon came out of hyper drive at the edge of the system.

“Quon, get in contact with Ship. Make sure we don’t get mistaken by the system defences,” I said.

“Confirmed. I am now connected to the system network,” replied Quon.

“Welcome back to the Yastri system Commander. This is Ship. Was your mission a success?”

“Quon, please update Ship on everything since we left,” said Jem.

“Confirmed. Transfer is complete,” said Quon. That was fast!

“Thank you for the update Captain. I am sorry for your loss,” said Ship.

“Thank you Ship. How are you doing with construction of your new vessel?” asked Jem.

“It is complete. If you meet me in orbit around Yastri three, I should be glad to show you,” replied Ship.

I looked to Jem, and she just nodded at me. “Quon, take us to an orbit around Yastri three and rendezvous with Ship,” I said.

“Confirmed,” replied Quon. We started moving. I looked at the system map on the tactical display. There were at least twenty blue dots around the system.

“Quon, is that a live map of the system? Are those all cloaked probes?” I asked.

“Confirmed, they are part of the system defences,” replied Quon. This system appeared very well defended.

“Ship, has there been any visitors other than us recently?” asked Jem.

“Negative Captain. There were no visitors to this system since Tobis,” said Ship.

“Excellent. The Lagaid have lost most of their military vessels. I don’t think they will have the resources to return soon,” said Jem.

By now, Quon was approaching Yastri three. I stared at Laine for a moment and our eyes met. She smiled back at me. I recalled our first ever visit here, and how we nearly did not survive. I remembered our time on the beach of the island. It was long ago.

As we entered orbit, another vessel uncloaked directly ahead. It was huge, and it reminded me of a dreadnought probe. We once used a dreadnought probe to scare Tobis into surrendering.

“Ship, is that you?” I asked.

“Yes Commander. You gave orders to construct a new vessel and left the details up to me. I based this upon the dreadnought design,” replied Ship.

“You look beautiful!” I said, with all sincerity.

“Thank you Commander. I have completed all space trials and I am ready to return to active service,” replied Ship. It sounded eager.

“Quon, please bring us alongside Ship and dock. I think it is time to check out Ship,” said Jem.

“Confirmed,” replied Quon. Soon after, the two vessels docked.


“Let’s go tour the new vessel,” said Jem.

We left the main bridge and went to the airlock. There was a general level of excitement with everyone. I wondered what this meant for Quon. We couldn’t abandon him after he has served us. I didn’t intend to abandon any of our crew, and the AI were members as much as we were.

We stepped through the airlock and into Ship.

“Welcome aboard Captain, Commander, Laine, and Mina,” said Ship.

“Thank you Ship. Take us on a tour please,” replied Jem.

“If you will follow the floor lighting,” said Ship.

We wandered along the corridor and took an elevator up to the main bridge. It was larger than the one on Quon. We wandered around, looking at the various displays.

“Very nice!” said Jem.

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close