Star Guardian 2
Chapter 54: Rescue

Copyright© 2019 by Duncan7

“Your shuttle is now free of explosive devices. You are clear to depart,” said Nowlan.

“Thank you, chief inspector. We hope your investigation finds those responsible. We aren’t safe returning here until you do,” replied Jem.

“I am committed to finding out who had access to our systems,” she replied.

“Be careful then. They are well connected and they don’t care who they kill. Your diligence will make you a target,” said Jem.

Nowlan nodded.

The emergency bulkhead slid back to give them access to the airlock. Jem, Laine, and Mina moved their purchases into the airlock.

The airlock cycled, and they dragged the containers inside the shuttle.

“I want every container double checked,” ordered Jem.

They spent another ten minutes examining the containers, but they found nothing.

Jem got in the pilot’s seat and did her pre-flight checks. Their shuttle undocked with the airlock and exited the bazaar shuttle bay.

Jem piloted the shuttle back towards Ship.

“Why is someone so keen to kill us?” asked Laine.

“I don’t know yet. I doubt chief inspector Nowlan will find out those behind it. It screams to me that someone in their security forces is involved,” said Jem.

Ship was getting larger on the display as they approached the shuttle bay.

“Once we arrive, decontamination and put the supplies away. Then I need your help to come up with a cunning plan,” said Jem.

“Yes, Commodore,” replied Laine. Mina nodded.


Dinner with the Empress continued, although the tone had changed.

I tried the food she’d put on my plate; it was delicious. In a different time and place, I might have enjoyed it.

“How do you see this playing out?” I asked.

“After you say goodbye to your crewmates, and they leave safely, we announce our engagement. We will have a state wedding and introduce you to our people,” she replied.

“I have your word that they are free to leave? It would spoil our relationship if harm happened to them,” I said.

“Once you agree to stay with me, I see no reason to harm them,” she replied.

I sipped more of my tea. She implied that if I did not agree, she might go after my crewmates.

“Can they attend the wedding, as friends of the groom?” I asked.

“Unfortunately, no. We don’t allow visitors to Gober Prime. We granted you honorary citizenship because of your title. If they are within the system, they can watch the event over the system network from their vessel,” she replied.

“This vegetable dish is nice,” I said. I pointed to something she had put on my plate. I wanted to distract her for a moment.

“That is one of my favourites. I am glad you like it. Our marriage doesn’t have to be unpleasant. You can enjoy a life of luxury, eat and drink whatever pleases you, and wear beautiful clothes. You can spend your days in the gardens if you wish. As the consort to the Empress Regent, your life can be whatever you make of it,” she said with a smile.

I looked into her eyes. “You realize I don’t love you. We only just met earlier today,” I said.

“Royal marriages are not about love. Think of it as a business transaction. I offer you unlimited wealth and a life of luxury,” she replied.

“And the safe passage for the Baglogi vessel and crew,” I added.

“Yes. I understand they were shopping for supplies today. They are free to leave when they are ready,” she replied.

“What do you expect from me in return?” I asked.

“As my consort, you will attend various functions with me. In public, you need to respect my position. I will need your help to provide heirs. Beyond that, your time is your own. Our society is a matriarchy. As our consort you will want for nothing,” she replied. Except my freedom...

“Thank you for explaining it to me,” I said.

Libby spooned more food onto my plate. “Eat up dear.”


Jem, Laine, and Mina arrived in the main bridge.

“Ship, put up a display of the system and feature their various military vessels, and list any items of strategic interest,” said Jem.

“Confirmed,” replied Ship. On the tactical display, it showed a well-defended system.

“We can’t fight our way out of this. We need to use guile,” said Jem.

“Do you think Brian’s disappearance at the reception and the attacks on us are connected?” asked Mina.

“I do. The timing is far too close for a coincidence. If I could get Brian back, we’d leave this system at once. Something to do with his title got the Gobers excited,” said Jem.

“The Gobers must need him for his title. They abducted him from the reception, but that wasn’t enough. Killing us prevents us rescuing him,” said Laine.

“Agreed. But when I talked with him, he was not aware. He sounded relaxed in his situation,” replied Jem.

“Their economy depends on the bazaar. Therefore, the safety of the bazaar is very important to Gober. If word gets out that it is dangerous to visit, they will lose business. That tells me it is more important to kill us than the safety of the bazaar,” said Mina.

Both Jem and Laine nodded their heads.

“So they took him for reasons unknown. They lied to him. I wonder how long it will take him to realize?” asked Laine.

Jem shuddered. “I have a strange feeling that he recently found out.”

“You have some kind of psychic connection with him?” asked Laine.

Jem nodded. “It’s not something definitive, more like an intuition. But I sometimes sense feelings from him. When those Lagaid operatives captured him on Ori Major, for example.”

“So our cunning plan involves a daring rescue and an escape from the Gober system,” said Mina.

“Exactly. But how can we do that when they are watching us to make such a move?” asked Jem.

“Attention, Commodore. I have a call for you from the Imperial Palace, voice only,” said Ship.

“Patch it through,” replied Jem.

“Commodore, Brian here,” said Brian, in Ori.

“Go ahead, Commander,” replied Jem.

“I am calling you to say goodbye. I will remain here on Gober. Her Imperial Majesty has asked for my hand in marriage and I have accepted. I wish you safe travels,” said Brian, in Ori. “Held against my will,” he added, in English.

“I understand Commander. We will miss you. Our best wishes for your upcoming nuptials with Her Imperial Majesty,” replied Jem.

“Standing redshirt,” Brian said, this time in Tian.

The communications channel closed after that.


Libby looked at me and smiled. She had just witnessed me call my vessel and say goodbye to my crewmates.

“Thank you Brian, you won’t regret it. I promise you, a life with me will be most enjoyable,” she said.

“You said to think of it as a business transaction. Your offer was hard to refuse,” I said.

I sipped my tea, then placed my cup on the table, and she refilled it.

“We will announce our engagement in a few days?” I asked.

“Yes,” she smiled.

“I’m feeling tired, Libby. Thank you for a marvellous dinner,” I said.

We both stood.

“This is the start of our new life together,” said Libby.

“Is it permitted for me to hug you?” I asked.

Libby smiled and nodded. Stepping forward, I carefully wrapped my arms around her. I didn’t want to trigger any reaction from her guards, who were likely watching from nearby.

“Good night, Libby,” I said.

“Good night, Brian. Sleep well,” replied Libby.

I had to keep up the charade until my rescue came.


“What did he say?” asked Laine.

“I recognized words in English and in Tian,” said Jem.

“Commodore, if I may help translate. He said ‘Held against my will’ and ‘Standing redshirt’,” said Ship.

“Thank you Ship. Do you know what he meant by standing redshirt?” asked Jem.

“Confirmed. It was a manoeuvre he and I discussed. I engage cloak and move forwards while a probe moves to where we were and activates the image of dreadnought. To an observer I blink out and reappear seconds later,” replied Ship.

“Do it now!” said Jem.

“Confirmed. I am engaging cloak and firing thrusters ... The dreadnought probe is moving into position and uncloaking now,” said Ship.

“Wow! So we are cloaked and hiding, while that probe is pretending to be us?” asked Laine.

“Confirmed. That was a standing redshirt manoeuvre,” replied Ship.

“It seems Brian provided us with the cunning plan we were looking for,” said Mina.

“Yes, he did Mina. Ship, have the probe ask for departure clearance, then send it to the edge of the system and appear to engage hyperspace engines,” ordered Jem.

“Confirmed,” replied Ship.

On the tactical display, the fake dreadnought turned and moved away from orbit.

“Ship, move us to an orbit above the Imperial Palace. Please prepare a cloaked shuttle to leave shortly,” said Jem.

“Confirmed,” replied Ship.

“Mina, you are to remain aboard Ship. If you have to do anything, use cloaked probes to hide our location and intent,” said Jem.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close