Star Guardian 2
Chapter 60: Dinner and a Battle

Copyright© 2019 by Duncan7

After several days travel, the Aenat vessel’s hyper drive went offline. Most systems remained inoperative since they left the Earth system. Most of their displays were blank. They were flying blind.

Captain Suth ordered the crew not to attempt regaining control. The Baglogi gave him a dire warning of the consequences.

Soon after, all systems came back online. Displays lit up showing their arrival in the Aenat system.

“All stations, report in,” ordered the Captain.

“Our systems are working again. We have arrived at our home system,” replied his first officer.

“Set course for orbit around Aenat Prime,” ordered the Captain.

“Course set,” replied the helmsman.

“Captain, we have an incoming hail,” said the communications officer.

“Put it through,” replied the Captain.

An image of the Aenat system controller appeared on the display.

“Welcome home, Captain. We did not expect your arrival yet,” said the system controller.

“It is a classified matter I’d prefer not to discuss over a communications channel,” replied the Captain.

“Understood, Captain. Once your vessel arrives in orbit, you are to report in to Fleet HQ,” said the system controller.

“Acknowledged,” replied Captain Suth. He then closed the call.

Next, he keyed in ship-wide communication.

“Attention, I declare the recent events that brought us back home as classified. No crew are to discuss this with anyone,” he broadcast. There was no need to define the consequences for anyone who discussed classified information.

“Captain,” said the helmsman.

“Report,” said Captain Suth.

“I cannot find any data for that system. They erased all data for it from our navigation system,” reported the helmsman.

Captain Suth looked to his first officer. “Those Baglogi are thorough bastards! Prepare my shuttle to leave once we arrive. No shore leave or communications until I get back,” he said.

“Yes, Captain,” replied his first officer.


Jem and I woke up several hours later. There was a noise in the lounge area of the suite. I checked the chronometer. It was too soon to get up for dinner.

“It is probably Laine and Mina, back from touring the gardens,” said Jem.

I got up and opened the door to the lounge to see who was out there disturbing our sleep.

“Brian!” called Laine. “The palace gardens are fabulous!”

“The head gardener is arranging for cuttings and seedlings. They will deliver them to our shuttle when we leave,” added Mina.

“Brian, tell them to clean up and get some rest. We still have dinner this evening,” Jem said from behind me.

“You best clean up and rest before our dinner with the princess,” I said.

They both hurried to one of the other bedrooms. I closed the door and returned to bed.

“They sound like they had a good time,” said Jem.

“Agreed. I doubt they will get much rest,” I replied.

I rolled on my side and closed my eyes.


A while later my chronometer alerted me it was time to get up before dinner. We dressed in our away team uniforms and met Laine and Mina in the lounge.

“Refreshed?” asked Laine.

“Yes, thank you. Did you get any rest?” I replied.

“We did, but we got up before you did,” replied Mina.

“Laine, please could you bring your device and a holo projector? I’d like your help to show the princess something,” I said.

“Sure, Brian,” replied Laine.

A chime at the door interrupted our discussion. I opened the door to face two palace stewards.

“We are here to escort you to your dinner appointment,” said a steward.

“Lead on,” replied Jem.

We followed the palace stewards from our suite.

As we walked along, I asked a steward, “How come no palace guards in our escort?”

He turned to me. “Your status as true friends allows you to travel within the palace complex without an armed escort. We have guards at the entrances and near Her Royal Highness.”

I nodded.

“However, if you believe you need an honour guard because of your title, I can arrange for a squad,” the steward quickly added. He pulled out a device, ready to call for palace guards.

“Oh no! I don’t need or want an honour guard,” I said. Jem looked at me and groaned.

“The Commander was just asking about protocols. We don’t wish to bother anyone,” said Jem.

“Very well. If you change your mind about an honour guard, we can arrange for one later,” replied the steward. Jem gave me a look that made me wish I hadn’t opened my mouth.

We continued walking along corridors until we reached a large dining hall.


In the dining hall, we found ambassador Kazem waiting.

“Hello again, ambassador,” said Jem.

Ambassador Kazem smiled.

“Hello, Commodore. Did you have a pleasant afternoon?” he asked.

“Yes, thank you. Brian and I rested, while Laine and Mina had a tour of the palace gardens,” replied Jem. The ambassador nodded.

“The palace gardens are extraordinary,” he said.

Jem smiled.

A steward approached me with drinks on a tray. I had learned my lesson from Gober and I politely declined.

“You are not thirsty?” asked the ambassador.

“When I was on Gober, our troubles started when they offered me a drink that they had drugged. We have a rule now to avoid alcohol on visits,” I replied.

“A wise precaution,” replied the ambassador. He gestured to the steward and whispered something to him.

“I have asked them to fetch a selection of non-alcoholic drinks,” he said.

“Thank you. I mean no disrespect,” I replied. He smiled.

Soon, the steward returned with a different tray. It carried a few drinks and a device.

“These are non-alcoholic drinks. That is a food scanner to confirm the contents,” said the ambassador.

“I am sorry, but my experience on Gober has left me paranoid,” I replied.

“I respect your prudence,” replied the ambassador.

I took the device and scanned a glass. It reported nothing bad. I suppose the device could lie...

I picked up the glass and took a sip. It tasted acceptable.

“Thank you,” I said to the steward who nodded in acknowledgment.

Jem followed my cue and scanned a drink and took it from the tray. In some cultures, this might insult our host. I made a mental note to think about this later.

Another steward announced, “Her Royal Highness, Princess Nazira Vahide of Dentra.”

We turned to face the princess as she arrived.

“Welcome to our dining hall,” said the princess. “Please take a seat.”

Stewards stood behind chairs and helped usher us to sit at the table. The steward who served me my drink placed the portable scanner on the table beside me. A nice touch.

There were six places at the table. The princess, the ambassador, and the four of us. Rather intimate.

“Our ambassador filled me in on your troubles with Gober and your desire to keep a low profile. Few on Dentra know of your visit,” said the princess.

“Your Royal Highness, I thank you for your understanding,” replied Jem.

“Commander Brian, we are sorry your title caused you trouble at Gober. It was unintended,” said the princess.

“The outcome of your precious gift, given in good faith, was tragic and unforeseen. I think their actions came out of desperation. Her Imperial Majesty is severely limited in who she can take as a consort,” I said.

“Well said, Commander. You speak as a diplomat! Our ambassador has shared with us your suggestion to ease their desperation. I may soon renew the practice of granting titles to worthy and loyal citizens,” said the princess. I nodded. Without entitled beings, the monarchy would soon become extinct.

The stewards served the first course.

“We had our chef select dishes compatible with everyone present. We will eat the same food and Brian is welcome to scan anything he chooses,” said the princess.

“Your Royal Highness, once again I thank you for your understanding,” replied Jem.

“We are forever indebted to our special friends. We have no ulterior motives,” she said. I smiled. This was more a meal shared with close friends than the formal events we had experienced elsewhere.

We ate together. The stewards brought more courses and took away plates. I scanned a few dishes, but by now I trusted them.

“Your Royal Highness, would you care to hear the story of how we discovered you on that planet?” I asked.

“We would very much enjoy hearing your story. Thank you Commander,” replied the princess.

I turned to Laine. “Laine, please place the holo-projector on the table, and ready the presentation we put together which led us to the Laine Alpha system.”

Laine took out the small holo-projector and her personal device.

“We were tracking down pirate activity. These pirates were from a system known as Lagaid. I have already informed your ambassador of these beings,” I said.

The princess looked to her ambassador. Kazem nodded.

“In various battles with Lagaid vessels, we collected navigation data from their vessels. Laine, please put up the first chart,” I said.

A moment later, there was a star system chart projected above the table, annotated with several lines.

“It was Laine who processed these charts. The lines show where multiple pirate vessels travelled. You can see a lot of activity in this system here,” I said and pointed where the lines met.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close