The Mystery of Choice - Cover

The Mystery of Choice

Copyright© 2016 by Robert W. Chambers

Chapter 3

About nine o’clock the next morning I walked into the Groix Inn and sat down at the long discoloured oaken table, nodding good-day to Marianne Bruyère, who in turn bobbed her white coiffe at me.

“My clever Bannalec maid,” said I, “what is good for a stirrup-cup at the Groix Inn?”

“Schist?” she inquired in Breton.

“With a dash of red wine, then,” I replied.

She brought the delicious Quimperlé cider, and I poured a little Bordeaux into it. Marianne watched me with laughing black eyes.

“What makes your cheeks so red, Marianne?” I asked. “Has Jean Marie been here?”

“We are to be married, Monsieur Darrel,” she laughed.

“Ah! Since when has Jean Marie Tregunc lost his head?”

“His head? Oh, Monsieur Darrel--his heart, you mean!”

“So I do,” said I. “Jean Marie is a practical fellow.”

“It is all due to your kindness--” began the girl, but I raised my hand and held up the glass.

“It’s due to himself. To your happiness, Marianne;” and I took a hearty draught of the schist. “Now,” said I, “tell me where I can find Le Bihan and Max Fortin.”

“Monsieur Le Bihan and Monsieur Fortin are above in the broad room. I believe they are examining the Red Admiral’s effects.”

“To send them to Paris? Oh, I know. May I go up, Marianne?”

“And God go with you,” smiled the girl.

When I knocked at the door of the broad room above little Max Fortin opened it. Dust covered his spectacles and nose; his hat, with the tiny velvet ribbons fluttering, was all awry.

“Come in, Monsieur Darrel,” he said; “the mayor and I are packing up the effects of the Purple Emperor and of the poor Red Admiral.”

“The collections?” I asked, entering the room. “You must be very careful in packing those butterfly cases; the slightest jar might break wings and antennæ, you know.”

Le Bihan shook hands with me and pointed to the great pile of boxes.

“They’re all cork lined,” he said, “but Fortin and I are putting felt around each box. The Entomological Society of Paris pays the freight.”

The combined collections of the Red Admiral and the Purple Emperor made a magnificent display.

I lifted and inspected case after case set with gorgeous butterflies and moths, each specimen carefully labelled with the name in Latin. There were cases filled with crimson tiger moths all aflame with colour; cases devoted to the common yellow butterflies; symphonies in orange and pale yellow; cases of soft gray and dun-coloured sphinx moths; and cases of garish nettle-bred butterflies of the numerous family of Vanessa.

All alone in a great case by itself was pinned the purple emperor, the Apatura Iris, that fatal specimen that had given the Purple Emperor his name and quietus.

I remembered the butterfly, and stood looking at it with bent eyebrows.

Le Bihan glanced up from the floor where he was nailing down the lid of a box full of cases.

“It is settled, then,” said he, “that madame, your wife, gives the Purple Emperor’s entire collection to the city of Paris?”

I nodded.

“Without accepting anything for it?”

“It is a gift,” I said.

“Including the purple emperor there in the case? That butterfly is worth a great deal of money,” persisted Le Bihan.

“You don’t suppose that we would wish to sell that specimen, do you?” I answered a trifle sharply.

“If I were you I should destroy it,” said the mayor in his high-pitched voice.

“That would be nonsense,” said I--”like your burying the brass cylinder and scroll yesterday.”

“It was not nonsense,” said Le Bihan doggedly, “and I should prefer not to discuss the subject of the scroll.”

I looked at Max Fortin, who immediately avoided my eyes.

“You are a pair of superstitious old women,” said I, digging my hands into my pockets; “you swallow every nursery tale that is invented.”

“What of it?” said Le Bihan sulkily; “there’s more truth than lies in most of ‘em.”

“Oh!” I sneered, “does the Mayor of St. Gildas and St. Julien believe in the Loup-garou?”

“No, not in the Loup-garou.”

“In what, then--Jeanne-la-Flamme?”

“That,” said Le Bihan with conviction, “is history.”

“The devil it is!” said I; “and perhaps, monsieur the mayor, your faith in giants is unimpaired?”

“There were giants--everybody knows it,” growled Max Fortin.

“And you a chemist!” I observed scornfully.

“Listen, Monsieur Darrel,” squeaked Le Bihan; “you know yourself that the Purple Emperor was a scientific man. Now suppose I should tell you that he always refused to include in his collection a Death’s Messenger?”

“A what?” I exclaimed.

“You know what I mean--that moth that flies by night; some call it the Death’s Head, but in St. Gildas we call it ‘Death’s Messenger.’”

“Oh!” said I, “you mean that big sphinx moth that is commonly known as the ‘death’s-head moth.’ Why the mischief should the people here call it death’s messenger?”

“For hundreds of years it has been known as death’s messenger in St. Gildas,” said Max Fortin. “Even Froissart speaks of it in his commentaries on Jacques Sorgue’s Chronicles. The book is in your library.”

“Sorgue? And who was Jacques Sorgue? I never read his book.”

“Jacques Sorgue was the son of some unfrocked priest--I forget. It was during the crusades.”

“Good Heavens!” I burst out, “I’ve been hearing of nothing but crusades and priests and death and sorcery ever since I kicked that skull into the gravel pit, and I am tired of it, I tell you frankly. One would think we lived in the dark ages. Do you know what year of our Lord it is, Le Bihan?”

“Eighteen hundred and ninety-six,” replied the mayor.

“And yet you two hulking men are afraid of a death’s-head moth.”

“I don’t care to have one fly into the window,” said Max Fortin; “it means evil to the house and the people in it.”

“God alone knows why he marked one of his creatures with a yellow death’s head on the back,” observed Le Bihan piously, “but I take it that he meant it as a warning; and I propose to profit by it,” he added triumphantly.

“See here, Le Bihan,” I said; “by a stretch of imagination one can make out a skull on the thorax of a certain big sphinx moth. What of it?”

“It is a bad thing to touch,” said the mayor, wagging his head.

“It squeaks when handled,” added Max Fortin.

“Some creatures squeak all the time,” I observed, looking hard at Le Bihan.

“Pigs,” added the mayor.

“Yes, and asses,” I replied. “Listen, Le Bihan: do you mean to tell me that you saw that skull roll uphill yesterday?”

The mayor shut his mouth tightly and picked up his hammer.

“Don’t be obstinate,” I said; “I asked you a question.”

“And I refuse to answer,” snapped Le Bihan. “Fortin saw what I saw; let him talk about it.”

I looked searchingly at the little chemist.

“I don’t say that I saw it actually roll up out of the pit, all by itself,” said Fortin with a shiver, “but--but then, how did it come up out of the pit, if it didn’t roll up all by itself?”

“It didn’t come up at all; that was a yellow cobblestone that you mistook for the skull again,” I replied. “You were nervous, Max.”

“A--a very curious cobblestone, Monsieur Darrel,” said Fortin.

“I also was a victim to the same hallucination,” I continued, “and I regret to say that I took the trouble to roll two innocent cobblestones into the gravel pit, imagining each time that it was the skull I was rolling.”

“It was,” observed Le Bihan with a morose shrug.

“It just shows,” said I, ignoring the mayor’s remark, “how easy it is to fix up a train of coincidences so that the result seems to savour of the supernatural. Now, last night my wife imagined that she saw a priest in a mask peer in at her window--”

Fortin and Le Bihan scrambled hastily from their knees, dropping hammer and nails.

“W-h-a-t--what’s that?” demanded the mayor.

I repeated what I had said. Max Fortin turned livid.

“My God!” muttered Le Bihan, “the Black Priest is in St. Gildas!”

“D-don’t you--you know the old prophecy?” stammered Fortin; “Froissart quotes it from Jacques Sorgue:

‘When the Black Priest rises from the dead, St. Gildas folk shall shriek in bed; When the Black Priest rises from his grave, May the good God St. Gildas save!’”

“Aristide Le Bihan,” I said angrily, “and you, Max Fortin, I’ve got enough of this nonsense! Some foolish lout from Bannalec has been in St. Gildas playing tricks to frighten old fools like you. If you have nothing better to talk about than nursery legends I’ll wait until you come to your senses. Good-morning.” And I walked out, more disturbed than I cared to acknowledge to myself.

The day had become misty and overcast. Heavy, wet clouds hung in the east. I heard the surf thundering against the cliffs, and the gray gulls squealed as they tossed and turned high in the sky. The tide was creeping across the river sands, higher, higher, and I saw the seaweed floating on the beach, and the lançons springing from the foam, silvery thread-like flashes in the gloom. Curlew were flying up the river in twos and threes; the timid sea swallows skimmed across the moors toward some quiet, lonely pool, safe from the coming tempest. In every hedge field birds were gathering, huddling together, twittering restlessly.

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close