The Mystery of Choice
Chapter 4

Copyright© 2016 by Robert W. Chambers

The sun was about three hours high. I must have slept, for I was aroused by the sudden gallop of horses under our window. People were shouting and calling in the road. I sprang up and opened the sash. Le Bihan was there, an image of helplessness, and Max Fortin stood beside him, polishing his glasses. Some gendarmes had just arrived from Quimperlé, and I could hear them around the corner of the house, stamping, and rattling their sabres and carbines, as they led their horses into my stable.

Lys sat up, murmuring half-sleepy, half-anxious questions.

“I don’t know,” I answered. “I am going out to see what it means.”

“It is like the day they came to arrest you,” Lys said, giving me a troubled look. But I kissed her, and laughed at her until she smiled too. Then I flung on coat and cap and hurried down the stairs.

The first person I saw standing in the road was the Brigadier Durand.

“Hello!” said I, “have you come to arrest me again? What the devil is all this fuss about, anyway?”

“We were telegraphed for an hour ago,” said Durand briskly, “and for a sufficient reason, I think. Look there, Monsieur Darrel!”

He pointed to the ground almost under my feet.

“Good heavens!” I cried, “where did that puddle of blood come from?”

“That’s what I want to know, Monsieur Darrel. Max Fortin found it at daybreak. See, it’s splashed all over the grass, too. A trail of it leads into your garden, across the flower beds to your very window, the one that opens from the morning room. There is another trail leading from this spot across the road to the cliffs, then to the gravel pit, and thence across the moor to the forest of Kerselec. We are going to mount in a minute and search the bosquets. Will you join us? Bon Dieu! but the fellow bled like an ox. Max Fortin says it’s human blood, or I should not have believed it.”

The little chemist of Quimperlé came up at that moment, rubbing his glasses with a coloured handkerchief.

“Yes, it is human blood,” he said, “but one thing puzzles me: the corpuscles are yellow. I never saw any human blood before with yellow corpuscles. But your English Doctor Thompson asserts that he has--”

“Well, it’s human blood, anyway--isn’t it?” insisted Durand, impatiently.

“Ye-es,” admitted Max Fortin.

“Then it’s my business to trail it,” said the big gendarme, and he called his men and gave the order to mount.

“Did you hear anything last night?” asked Durand of me.

“I heard the rain. I wonder the rain did not wash away these traces.”

“They must have come after the rain ceased. See this thick splash, how it lies over and weighs down the wet grass blades. Pah!”

It was a heavy, evil-looking clot, and I stepped back from it, my throat closing in disgust.

“My theory,” said the brigadier, “is this: Some of those Biribi fishermen, probably the Icelanders, got an extra glass of cognac into their hides and quarrelled on the road. Some of them were slashed, and staggered to your house. But there is only one trail, and yet--and yet, how could all that blood come from only one person? Well, the wounded man, let us say, staggered first to your house and then back here, and he wandered off, drunk and dying, God knows where. That’s my theory.”

“A very good one,” said I calmly. “And you are going to trail him?”

“Yes.”

“When?”

“At once. Will you come?”

“Not now. I’ll gallop over by-and-bye. You are going to the edge of the Kerselec forest?”

“Yes; you will hear us calling. Are you coming, Max Fortin? And you, Le Bihan? Good; take the dog-cart.”

The big gendarme tramped around the corner to the stable and presently returned mounted on a strong gray horse; his sabre shone on his saddle; his pale yellow and white facings were spotless. The little crowd of white-coiffed women with their children fell back, as Durand touched spurs and clattered away followed by his two troopers. Soon after Le Bihan and Max Fortin also departed in the mayor’s dingy dog-cart.

“Are you coming?” piped Le Bihan shrilly.

“In a quarter of an hour,” I replied, and went back to the house.

When I opened the door of the morning room the death’s-head moth was beating its strong wings against the window. For a second I hesitated, then walked over and opened the sash. The creature fluttered out, whirred over the flower beds a moment, then darted across the moorland toward the sea. I called the servants together and questioned them. Josephine, Catherine, Jean Marie Tregunc, not one of them had heard the slightest disturbance during the night. Then I told Jean Marie to saddle my horse, and while I was speaking Lys came down.

“Dearest,” I began, going to her.

“You must tell me everything you know, Dick,” she interrupted, looking me earnestly in the face.

“But there is nothing to tell--only a drunken brawl, and some one wounded.”

“And you are going to ride--where, Dick?”

“Well, over to the edge of Kerselec forest. Durand and the mayor, and Max Fortin, have gone on, following a--a trail.”

“What trail?”

“Some blood.”

“Where did they find it?”

“Out in the road there.” Lys crossed herself.

“Does it come near our house?”

“Yes.”

“How near?”

“It comes up to the morning-room window,” said I, giving in.

Her hand on my arm grew heavy. “I dreamed last night--”

“So did I--” but I thought of the empty cartridges in my revolver, and stopped.

“I dreamed that you were in great danger, and I could not move hand or foot to save you; but you had your revolver, and I called out to you to fire--”

“I did fire!” I cried excitedly.

“You--you fired?”

I took her in my arms. “My darling,” I said, “something strange has happened--something that I can not understand as yet. But, of course, there is an explanation. Last night I thought I fired at the Black Priest.”

“Ah!” gasped Lys.

“Is that what you dreamed?”

“Yes, yes, that was it! I begged you to fire--”

“And I did.”

Her heart was beating against my breast. I held her close in silence.

“Dick,” she said at length, “perhaps you killed the--the thing.”

“If it was human I did not miss,” I answered grimly. “And it was human,” I went on, pulling myself together, ashamed of having so nearly gone to pieces. “Of course it was human! The whole affair is plain enough. Not a drunken brawl, as Durand thinks; it was a drunken lout’s practical joke, for which he has suffered. I suppose I must have filled him pretty full of bullets, and he has crawled away to die in Kerselec forest. It’s a terrible affair; I’m sorry I fired so hastily; but that idiot Le Bihan and Max Fortin have been working on my nerves till I am as hysterical as a schoolgirl,” I ended angrily.

“You fired--but the window glass was not shattered,” said Lys in a low voice.

“Well, the window was open, then. And as for the--the rest--I’ve got nervous indigestion, and a doctor will settle the Black Priest for me, Lys.”

I glanced out of the window at Tregunc waiting with my horse at the gate.

“Dearest, I think I had better go to join Durand and the others.”

“I will go too.”

“Oh, no!”

“Yes, Dick.”

“Don’t, Lys.”

“I shall suffer every moment you are away.”

“The ride is too fatiguing, and we can’t tell what unpleasant sight you may come upon. Lys, you don’t really think there is anything supernatural in this affair?”

“Dick,” she answered gently, “I am a Bretonne.” With both arms around my neck, my wife said, “Death is the gift of God. I do not fear it when we are together. But alone--oh, my husband, I should fear a God who could take you away from me!”

We kissed each other soberly, simply, like two children. Then Lys hurried away to change her gown, and I paced up and down the garden waiting for her.

She came, drawing on her slender gauntlets. I swung her into the saddle, gave a hasty order to Jean Marie, and mounted.

Now, to quail under thoughts of terror on a morning like this, with Lys in the saddle beside me, no matter what had happened or might happen, was impossible. Moreover, Môme came sneaking after us. I asked Tregunc to catch him, for I was afraid he might be brained by our horses’ hoofs if he followed, but the wily puppy dodged and bolted after Lys, who was trotting along the high-road. “Never mind,” I thought; “if he’s hit he’ll live, for he has no brains to lose.”

Lys was waiting for me in the road beside the Shrine of Our Lady of St. Gildas when I joined her. She crossed herself, I doffed my cap, then we shook out our bridles and galloped toward the forest of Kerselec.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close