The Dark Door - Cover

The Dark Door

Public Domain

Chapter 2

George Webber leaned back in the soft chair, turning a quizzical glance toward the younger man across the room. He lit a long black cigar.

“Well?” His heavy voice boomed out in the small room. “Now that we’ve got him here, what do you think?”

The younger man glanced uncomfortably through the glass wall panel into the small dark room beyond. In the dimness, he could barely make out the still form on the bed, grotesque with the electrode-vernier apparatus already in place at its temples. Dr. Manelli looked away sharply, and leafed through the thick sheaf of chart papers in his hand.

“I don’t know,” he said dully. “I just don’t know what to think.”

The other man’s laugh seemed to rise from the depths of his huge chest. His heavy face creased into a thousand wrinkles. Dr. Webber was a large man, his broad shoulders carrying a suggestion of immense power that matched the intensity of his dark, wide-set eyes. He watched Dr. Manelli’s discomfort grow, saw the younger doctor’s ears grow red, and the almost cruel lines in his face were masked as he laughed still louder.

“Trouble with you, Frank, you just don’t have the courage of your convictions.”

“Well, I don’t see anything so funny about it!” Manelli’s eyes were angry. “The man has a suspicious syndrome--so you’ve followed him, and spied on him for weeks on end, which isn’t exactly highest ethical practice in collecting a history. I still can’t see how you’re justified.”

Dr. Webber snorted, tossing his cigar down on the desk with disgust. “The man is insane. That’s my justification. He’s out of touch with reality. He’s wandered into a wild, impossible, fantastic dream world. And we’ve got to get him out of it, because what he knows, what he’s trying to hide from us, is so incredibly dangerous that we don’t dare let him go.”

The big man stared at Manelli, his dark eyes flashing. “Can’t you see that? Or would you rather sit back and let Harry Scott go the way that Paulus and Wineberg and the others went?”

“But to use the Parkinson Field on him--” Dr. Manelli shook his head hopelessly. “He’d offered to come over, George. We didn’t need to use it.”

“Sure, he offered to come--fine, fine. But supposing he changed his mind on the way? For all we know, he had us figured into his paranoia, too, and never would have come near the Hoffman Center.”

Dr. Webber shook his head. “We’re not playing a game any more, Frank. Get that straight. I thought it was a game a couple of years ago, when we first started. But it ceased to be a game when men like Paulus and Wineberg walked in sane, healthy men, and came out blubbering idiots. That’s no game any more. We’re onto something big. And, if Harry Scott can lead us to the core of it, then I can’t care too much what happens to Harry Scott.”

Dr. Manelli stood up sharply, walked to the window, and looked down over the bright, clean buildings of the Hoffman Medical Center. Out across the terraced park that surrounded the glassed towers and shining metal of the Center rose the New City, tier upon tier of smooth, functional architecture, a city of dreams built up painfully out of the rubble of the older, ruined city.

“You could kill him,” the young man said finally. “The psycho-integrator isn’t any standard interrogative technique; it’s dangerous and treacherous. You never know for sure just what you’re doing when you dig down into a man’s brain tissue with those little electrode probes.”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close