Triplanetary
Chapter 8: In Roger's Planetoid

Public Domain. Originally Published 1948

In the hall Clio glanced around her wildly, seeking even the narrowest avenue of escape. Before she could act, however, her body was clamped as though in a vise, and she struggled, motionless.

“It is useless to attempt to escape, or to do anything except what Roger wishes,” the guide informed her somberly, snapping off the instrument in her hand and thus restoring to the thoroughly cowed girl her freedom of motion.

“His lightest wish is law,” she continued as they walked down a long corridor. “The sooner you realize that you must do exactly as he pleases, in all things, the easier your life will be.”

“But I wouldn’t want to keep on living!” Clio declared, with a flash of spirit. “And I can always die, you know.”

“You will find that you cannot,” the passionless creature returned, monotonously. “If you do not yield, you will long and pray for death, but you will not die unless Roger wills it. Look at me: I cannot die. Here is your apartment. You will stay here until Roger gives further orders concerning you.”

The living automaton opened a door and stood silent and impassive while Clio, staring at her in horror, shrank past her and into the sumptuously furnished suite. The door closed soundlessly and utter silence descended as a pall. Not an ordinary silence, but the indescribable perfection of the absolute silence, complete absence of all sound. In that silence Clio stood motionless. Tense and rigid, hopeless, despairing, she stood there in that magnificent room, fighting an almost overwhelming impulse to scream. Suddenly she heard the cold voice of Roger, speaking from the empty air.

“You are over-wrought, Miss Marsden. You can be of no use to yourself or to me in that condition. I command you to rest; and, to insure that rest, you may pull that cord, which will establish about this room an ether wall: a wall to cut off even this my voice...”

The voice ceased as she pulled the cord savagely and threw herself upon a divan in a torrent of gasping, strangling, but rebellious sobs. Then again came a voice, but not to her ears. Deep within her, pervading every bone and muscle, it made itself felt rather than heard.

“Clio?” it asked. “Don’t talk yet...”

“Conway!” she gasped in relief, every fiber of her being thrilled into new hope at the deep, well-remembered voice of Conway Costigan.

“Keep still!” he snapped. “Don’t act so happy! He may have a spy-ray on you. He can’t hear me, but he may be able to hear you. When he was talking to you you must have noticed a sort of rough, sandpapery feeling under that necklace I gave you? Since he’s got an ether-wall around you the beads are dead now. If you feel anything like that under the wrist-watch, breathe deeply, twice. If you don’t feel anything there, it’s safe for you to talk, as loud as you please.”

“I don’t feel anything, Conway!” she rejoiced. Tears forgotten, she was her old, buoyant self again. “So that wall is real, after all? I only about half believed it.”

“Don’t trust it too much, because he can cut it off from the outside any time he wants to. Remember what I told you: that necklace will warn you of any spy-ray in the ether, and the watch will detect anything below the level of the ether. It’s dead now, of course, since our three phones are direct-connected; I’m in touch with Bradley, too. Don’t be too scared; we’ve got a lot better chance than I thought we had.”

“What? You don’t mean it!”

“Absolutely. I’m beginning to think that maybe we’ve got something he doesn’t know exists--our ultra-wave. Of course I wasn’t surprised when his searchers failed to find our instruments, but it never occurred to me that I might have a clear field to use them in! I can’t quite believe it yet, but I haven’t been able to find any indication that he can even detect the bands we are using. I’m going to look around over there with my spy-ray ... I’m looking at you now--feel it?”

“Yes, the watch feels that way, now.”

“Fine! Not a sign of interference over here, either. I can’t find a trace of ultra-wave--anything below ether-level, you know--anywhere in the whole place. He’s got so much stuff that we’ve never heard of that I supposed of course he’d have ultra-wave, too; but if he hasn’t, that gives us the edge. Well, Bradley and I’ve got a lot of work to do ... Wait a minute, I just had a thought. I’ll be back in about a second.”

There was a brief pause, then the soundless, but clear voice went on:

“Good hunting! That woman that gave you the blue willies isn’t alive--she’s full of the prettiest machinery and circuits you ever saw!”

“Oh, Conway!” and the girl’s voice broke in an engulfing wave of thanksgiving and relief. “It was so unutterably horrible, thinking of what must have happened to her and to others like her!”

“He’s running a colossal bluff, I think. He’s good, all right, but he lacks quite a lot of being omnipotent. But don’t get too cocky, either. Plenty has happened to plenty of women here, and men too--and plenty may happen to us unless we put out a few jets. Keep a stiff upper lip, and if you want us, yell. ‘Bye!”

The silent voice ceased, the watch upon Clio’s wrist again became an unobtrusive timepiece, and Costigan, in his solitary cell far below her tower room, turned his peculiarly goggled eyes toward other scenes. His hands, apparently idle in his pockets, manipulated tiny controls; his keen, highly-trained eyes studied every concealed detail of mechanism of the great globe. Finally, he took off the goggles and spoke in a low voice to Bradley, confined in another windowless room across the hall.

“I think I’ve got dope enough, Captain. I’ve found out where he put our armor and guns, and I’ve located all the main leads, controls, and generators. There are no ether-walls around us here, but every door is shielded, and there are guards outside our doors--one to each of us. They’re robots, not men. That makes it harder, since they’re undoubtedly connected direct to Roger’s desk and will give an alarm at the first hint of abnormal performance. We can’t do a thing until he leaves his desk. See that black panel, a little below the cord-switch to the right of your door? That’s the conduit cover. When I give you the word, tear that off and you’ll see one red wire in the cable. It feeds the shield-generator of your door. Break that wire and join me out in the hall. Sorry I had only one of these ultra-wave spies, but once we’re together it won’t be so bad. Here’s what I thought we could do,” and he went over in detail the only course of action which his survey had shown to be possible.

“There, he’s left his desk!” Costigan exclaimed after the conversation had continued for almost an hour. “Now as soon as we find out where he’s going, we’ll start something ... he’s going to see Clio, the swine! This changes things, Bradley!” His hard voice was a curse.

“Somewhat!” blazed the captain. “I know how you two have been getting on all during the cruise. I’m with you, but what can we do?”

“We’ll do something,” Costigan declared grimly. “If he makes a pass at her I’ll get him if I have to blow this whole sphere out of space, with us in it!”

“Don’t do that, Conway,” Clio’s low voice, trembling but determined, was felt by both men. “If there’s a chance for you to get away and do anything about fighting him, don’t mind me. Maybe he only wants to talk about the ransom, anyway.”

“He wouldn’t talk ransom to you--he’s going to talk something else entirely,” Costigan gritted, then his voice changed suddenly. “But say, maybe it’s just as well this way. They didn’t find our specials when they searched us, you know, and we’re going to do plenty of damage right soon now. Roger probably isn’t a fast worker--more the cat-and-mouse type, I’d say--and after we get started he’ll have something on his mind besides you. Think you can stall him off and keep him interested for about fifteen minutes?”

“I’m sure I can--I’ll do anything to help us, or you, get away from this horrible...” Her voice ceased as Roger broke the ether-wall of her apartment and walked toward the divan, upon which she crouched in wide-eyed, helpless, trembling terror.

“Get ready, Bradley!” Costigan directed tersely. “He left Clio’s ether-wall off, so that any abnormal signals would be relayed to him from his desk--he knows that there’s no chance of anyone disturbing him in that room. But I’m holding a beam on that switch, so that the wall is on, full strength. No matter what we do now, he can’t get a warning. I’ll have to hold the beam exactly in place, though, so you’ll have to do the dirty work. Tear out that red wire and kill those two guards. You know how to kill a robot, don’t you?”

“Yes--break his eye-lenses and his ear-drums and he’ll stop whatever he’s doing and send out distress calls ... Got ‘em both. Now what?”

“Open my door--the shield switch is to the right.”

Costigan’s door flew open and the Triplanetary captain leaped into the room.

“Now for our armor!” he cried.

“Not yet!” snapped Costigan. He was standing rigid, goggled eyes staring immovably at a spot on the ceiling. “I can’t move a millimeter until you’ve closed Clio’s ether-wall switch. If I take this ray off it for a second we’re sunk. Five floors up, straight ahead down a corridor--fourth door on right. When you’re at the switch you’ll feel my ray on your watch. Snap it up!”

“Right,” and the captain leaped away at a pace to be equalled by few men of half his years.

Soon he was back, and after Costigan had tested the ether-wall of the “bridal suite” to make sure that no warning signal from his desk or his servants could reach Roger within it, the two officers hurried away toward the room in which their space-armor was.

“Too bad they don’t wear uniforms,” panted Bradley, short of breath from the many flights of stairs. “Might have helped some as disguise.”

“I doubt it--with so many robots around, they’ve probably got signals that we couldn’t understand anyway. If we meet anybody it’ll mean a battle. Hold it!” Peering through walls with his spy-ray, Costigan had seen two men approaching, blocking an intersecting corridor into which they must turn. “Two of ‘em, a man and a robot--the robot’s on your side. We’ll wait here, right at the corner--when they round it take ‘em!” and Costigan put away his goggles in readiness for strife.

All unsuspecting, the two pirates came into view, and as they appeared the two officers struck. Costigan, on the inside, drove a short, hard right low into the human pirate’s abdomen. The fiercely-driven fist sank to the wrist into the soft tissues and the stricken man collapsed. But even as the blow landed Costigan had seen that there was a third enemy, following close behind the two he had been watching, a pirate who was even then training a ray projector upon him. Reacting automatically, Costigan swung his unconscious opponent around in front of him, so that it was into an enemy’s body that the vicious ray tore, and not into his own. Crouching down into the smallest possible compass, he straightened out with the lashing force of a mighty steel spring, hurling the corpse straight at the flaming mouth of the projector. The weapon crashed to the floor and dead pirate and living went down in a heap. Upon that heap Costigan hurled himself, feeling for the pirate’s throat. But the fellow had wriggled clear, and countered with a gouging thrust that would have torn out the eyes of a slower man, following it up instantly with a savage kick for the groin. No automaton this, geared and set to perform certain fixed duties with mechanical precision, but a lithe, strong man in hard training, fighting with every foul trick known to his murderous ilk.

But Costigan was no tyro in the art of dirty fighting. Few indeed were the maiming tricks of foul combat unknown to even the rank and file of the highly efficient under-cover branch of the Triplanetary Service; and Costigan, a Sector Chief, knew them all. Not for pleasure, sportsmanship, nor million-dollar purses did those secret agents use Nature’s weapons. They came to grips only when it could not possibly be avoided, but when they were forced to fight in that fashion they went in with but one grim purpose--to kill, and to kill in the shortest possible space of time. Thus it was that Costigan’s opening soon came. The pirate launched a vicious coup de sabot, which Costigan avoided by a lightning shift. It was a slight shift, barely enough to make the kicker miss, and two powerful hands closed upon that flying foot in midair like the sprung jaws of a bear-trap. Closed and twisted viciously, in the same fleeting instant. There was a shriek, smothered as a heavy boot crashed to its carefully predetermined mark--the pirate was out, definitely and permanently.

The struggle had lasted scarcely ten seconds, coming to its close just as Bradley finished blinding and deafening the robot. Costigan picked up the projector, again donned his spy-ray goggles, and the two hurried on.

“Nice work, Chief--it must be a gift to rough-house the way you do,” Bradley exclaimed. “That’s why you took the live one?”

“Practice helps some, too--I’ve been in brawls before, and I’m a lot younger and maybe a bit faster than you are,” Costigan explained briefly, penetrant gaze rigidly to the fore as they ran along one corridor after another.

Several more guards, both living and mechanical, were encountered on the way, but they were not permitted to offer any opposition. Costigan saw them first. In the furious beam of the projector of the dead pirate they were riven into nothingness, and the two officers sped on to the room which Costigan had located from afar. The three suits of Triplanetary space armor had been locked up in a cabinet; a cabinet whose doors Costigan literally blew off with a blast of force rather than consume time in tracing the power leads.

“I feel like something now!” Costigan, once more encased in his own armor, heaved a great sigh of relief. “Rough-and-tumble’s all right with one or two, but that generator room is full of grief, and we won’t have any too much stuff as it is. We’ve got to take Clio’s suit along--we’ll carry it down to the door of the power room, drop it there, and pick it up on the way back.”

Contemptuous now of possible guards, the armored pair strode toward the power plant--the very heart of the immense fortress of space. Guards were encountered, and captains--officers who signaled frantically to their chief, since he alone could unleash the frightful forces at his command, and who profanely wondered at his unwonted silence--but the enemy beams were impotent against the ether walls of that armor; and the pirates, without armor in the security of their own planetoid as they were, vanished utterly in the ravening beams of the twin Lewistons. As they paused before the door of the power room, both men felt Clio’s voice raised in her first and last appeal, an appeal wrung from her against her will by the extremity of her position.

“Conway! Hurry! His eyes--they’re tearing me apart! Hurry, dear!” In the horror-filled tones both men read clearly--however inaccurately--the girl’s dire extremity. Each saw plainly a happy, carefree young Earth-girl, upon her first trip into space, locked inside an ether-wall with an over-brained, under-conscienced human machine--a super-intelligent, but lecherous and unmoral mechanism of flesh and blood, acknowledging no authority, ruled by nothing save his own scientific drivings and the almost equally powerful urges of his desires and passions! She must have fought with every resource at her command. She must have wept and pleaded, stormed and raged, feigned submission and played for time--and her torment had not touched in the slightest degree the merciless and gloating brain of the being who called himself Roger. Now his tantalizing, ruthless cat-play would be done, the horrible gray-brown face would be close to hers--she wailed her final despairing message to Costigan and attacked that hideous face with the fury of a tigress.

Costigan bit off a bitter imprecation. “Hold him just a second longer, sweetheart!” he cried, and the power room door vanished.

Through the great room the two Lewistons swept at full aperture and at maximum power, two rapidly-opening fans of death and destruction. Here and there a guard, more rapid than his fellows, trained a futile projector--a projector whose magazine exploded at the touch of that frightful field of force, liberating instantaneously its thousands upon thousands of kilowatt-hours of-stored-up energy. Through the delicately adjusted, complex mechanisms the destroying beams tore. At their touch armatures burned out, high-tension leads volatilized in crashing, high-voltage arcs, masses of metal smoked and burned in the path of vast forces now seeking the easiest path to neutralization, delicate instruments blew up, copper ran in streams. As the last machine subsided into a semi-molten mass of metal the two wreckers, each grasping a brace, felt themselves become weightless and knew that they had accomplished the first part of their program.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close