My Lady Greensleeves - Cover

My Lady Greensleeves

Public Domain

Chapter VIII

Inmate Sue-Ann Bradley cried: “They’re coming! O’Leary, they’re coming!”

The guards who had once been hostages clattered down the steps to meet the party. The cons from the Greensleeves were back in their cells. The medic, after finishing his chores on O’Leary himself, paced meditatively out into the wake of the riot, where there was plenty to keep him busy. A faintly guilty expression tinctured his carven face. Contrary to his oath to care for all humanity in anguish, he had not liked Lafon or Sauer.

The party of fresh guards appeared and efficiently began re-locking the cells of the Greensleeves.

“Excuse me, Cap’n,” said one, taking Sue-Ann Bradley by the arm. “I’ll just put this one back--”

“I’ll take care of her,” said Liam O’Leary. He looked at her sideways as he rubbed the bruises on his face.

The governor tapped him on the shoulder. “Come along,” he said, looking so proud of himself, so pleased. “Let’s go out in the yard for a breath of fresh air.” He smiled contentedly at Sue-Ann Bradley. “You, too.”

O’Leary protested instinctively: “But she’s an inmate!”

“And I’m a governor. Come along.”

They walked out into the yard. The air was fresh, all right. A handful of cons, double-guarded by sleepy and irritable men from the day shift, were hosing down the rubble on the cobblestones. The yard was a mess, but it was quiet now. The helicopters were still riding their picket line, glowing softly in the early light that promised sunrise.

“My car,” the governor said quietly to a state policeman who appeared from nowhere. The trooper snapped a salute and trotted away.

“I killed a man,” said Sue-Ann Bradley, looking a little ill.

“You saved a man,” corrected the governor. “Don’t weep for that Lafon. He was willing to kill a thousand men if he had to, to break out of here.”

“But he never did break out,” said Sue-Ann.

The governor stretched contentedly. “He never had a chance. Laborers and clerks join together in a breakout? It would never happen. They don’t even speak the same language--as you have discovered, my dear.”


Sue-Ann blazed: “I still believe in the equality of Man!”

“Oh, please do,” the governor said, straight-faced. “There’s nothing wrong with that. Your father and I are perfectly willing to admit that men are equal--but we can’t admit that all men are the same. Use your eyes! What you believe in is your business, but,” he added, “when your beliefs extend to setting fire to segregated public lavatories as a protest move, which is what got you arrested, you apparently need to be taught a lesson. Well, perhaps you’ve learned it. You were a help here tonight and that counts for a lot.”

Captain O’Leary said, face furrowed: “What about the warden, Governor? They say the category system is what makes the world go round; it fits the right man to the right job and keeps him there. But look at Warden Schluckebier! He fell completely apart at the seams. He--”

“Turn that statement around, O’Leary.”

“Turn--?”

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close