Broken Boundaries
Prologue

Copyright© 2019 by SciFurz

Alain didn’t know the exact reason he was asked to come into the division head’s office, but whatever it was, he knew it couldn’t be good, He’d had enough heated discussions with his manager lately to be sure about that. The only reason they hadn’t sacked him yet was because he was a damned fine engineer who could handle jobs others got stuck at. It didn’t really surprise him when it seemed he was the only one with old school knowledge of the systems on interstellar ships.

He stared at the models of famous or specialised ships in a glass case when the secretary looked up from behind her screens. ‘Mister Reyns can see you now.’ she said and gestured at the door.

“Here we go.” he thought as he stood up. “Have a seat, it’s come to our attention that blah-di-blah, we had a talk with blah and blah, and to our regret we had to decide to let you go since it seems our working environment is too restricting for you. We hope you will find a more satisfying position elsewhere.” He grabbed the door handle and pushed it down. “Yeah, that’ll be it. Good bye and good luck.”

The older chap in grey suit behind a neat desk gestured at the chair in front. ‘Glad you could come. Have a seat.’ he said with a warm smile that raised Alain’s suspicions.

Alain sat down while casually glancing at bits and pieces of various disassembled systems decorating the office. Alain knew Reyns had less knowledge of hydraulic valves and electric switches than his own late grandmother but it probably served the purpose of impressing guests, the higher ups, and the new guys who had no clue about him yet.

Reyns leaned forward on his elbows. ‘It has come to our attention that you’re the most resourceful engineer we have here.’

Alain kept a straight face while mentally rolling his eyes. “Knew it. At least he starts with the compliment.”

‘We had a talk with your manager and he thinks you’re not getting the job satisfaction that suits someone with your capabilities.’

“Just say honestly and directly that you’re kicking me out so we can get on with whatever we have to do next.” Alain thought.

Reyns leaned a little back. ‘Which is why we’d like you to carry out a special assignment that has been requested by the government.’

Alain’s train of thought hit the brakes and sparks rained from the wheels. ‘A what?’

Reyns stared directly at the man with his unfaltering smile. ‘How does being in charge of disassembling a warship in space sound?’

The train derailed. “You’re transferring me!?”

Chapter 1 »

Close