Skylark Three - Cover

Skylark Three

Public Domain

Chapter 12: Flying Visits--Via Projection

“Well, what to do?” asked Seaton as he and Rovol entered the laboratory, “Tear down this fourth-order projector and tackle the big job? I see the lens is here, on schedule, so we can hop right into it.”

“We shall have further use for this mechanism. We shall need at least one more lens of this dense material, and other scientists also may have need of one or two. Then, too, the new projector must be so large that it cannot be erected in this room.”

As he spoke, Rovol seated himself at his control-desk and ran his fingers lightly over the keys. The entire wall of the laboratory disappeared, hundreds of beams of force darted here and there, seizing and working raw materials, and in the portal there grew up, to Seaton’s amazement, a keyboard and panel installation such as the Earth-man, in his wildest moments, had never imagined. Bank upon bank of typewriter-like keys; row upon row of keys, pedals, and stops resembling somewhat those of the console of a gigantic pipe-organ; panel upon panel of meters, switches, and dials--all arranged about two deeply-cushioned chairs and within reach of their occupants.

“Whew! That looks like the combined mince-pie nightmares of a whole flock of linotype operators, pipe-organists, and hard-boiled radio hams!” exclaimed Seaton when the installation was complete. “Now that you’ve got it, what are you going to do with it?”

“There is not a control system in Norlamin adequate for the task we face, since the problem of the projection of rays of the fifth order has heretofore been of only academic interest. Therefore it becomes necessary to construct such a control. This mechanism will, I am confident, have a sufficiently wide range of application to perform any operation we shall require of it.”

“It sure looks as though it could do almost anything, provided the man behind it knows how to play a tune on it--but if that rumble seat is for me, you’d better count me out right now. I followed you for about fifteen seconds, then lost you completely; and now I’m sunk without a trace,” said Seaton.

“That is, of course, true, and is a point I was careless enough to overlook.” Rovol thought for a moment, then got up, crossed the room to his control desk, and continued, “We shall dismantle the machine and rebuild it at once.”

“Oh no--too much work!” protested Seaton, “You’ve got it about done, haven’t you?”

“It is hardly started. Two hundred thousand bands of force must be linked to it, each in its proper place, and it is necessary that you should understand thoroughly every detail of this entire projector,” Rovol answered.

“Why? I’m not ashamed to admit that I haven’t got brains enough to understand a thing like that.”

“You have sufficient brain capacity; it is merely undeveloped. There are two reasons why you must be as familiar with the operation of this mechanism as you are with the operation of one of your Earthly automobiles. The first is that a similar control is to be installed in your new space-vessel, since by its use you can attain a perfection of handling impossible by any other system. The second, and more important reason, is that neither I nor any other man of Norlamin could compel himself, by any force of will, to direct a ray that would take away the life of any fellow-man.”

While Rovol was speaking, he reversed his rays, and soon the component parts of the new control had been disassembled and piled in orderly array about the room.

“Hm--m--m. Never thought of that. It’s right too,” mused Seaton. “How’re you going to get it into my thick skull--with an educator?”

“Exactly,” and Rovol sent a beam of force after his highly developed educational mechanism. Dials and electrodes were adjusted, connections were established, and the beams and pencils of force began to reconstruct the great central controlling device. But this time, instead of being merely a bewildered spectator, Seaton was an active participant in the work. As each key and meter was wrought and mounted, there were indelibly impressed upon his brain the exact reason for and function of the part, and later, when the control itself was finished and the seemingly interminable task of connecting it up to the output force-bands of the transformers had begun, he had a complete understanding of everything with which he was working, and understood all the means by which the ends he had so long desired were to be attained. For to the ancient scientist the tasks he was then performing were the merest routine, to be performed in reflex fashion, and he devoted most of his attention to transferring from his own brain to that of his young assistant as much of his stupendous knowledge as the smaller brain of the Terrestrial was capable of absorbing. More and more rapidly as the work progressed the mighty flood of knowledge poured into Seaton’s mind. After an hour or so, when enough connections had been made so that automatic forces could be so directed as to finish the job, Rovol and Seaton left the laboratory and went into the living room. As they walked, the educator accompanied them, borne upon its beam of force.

“Your brain is behaving very nicely indeed,” said Rovol, “much better than I would have thought possible from its size. In fact, it may be possible for me to transfer to you all the knowledge I have which might be of use to you. That is why I took you away from the laboratory. What do you think of the idea?”

“Our psychologists have always maintained that none of us ever uses more than a minute fraction of the actual capacity of his brain,” Seaton replied after a moment’s thought. “If you think you can give me even a percentage of your knowledge without killing me, go to it--I’m for it, strong!”

“Knowing that you would be, I have already requested Drasnik, the First of Psychology, to come here, and he has just arrived,” answered Rovol. And as he spoke, that personage entered the room.

When the facts had been set before him, the psychologist nodded his head

“That is quite possible,” he said with enthusiasm, “and I will be only too glad to assist in such an operation.”

“But listen!” protested Seaton, “You’ll probably change my whole personality! Rovol’s brain is three times the size of mine.”

“Tut-tut--nothing of the kind,” Drasnik reproved him. “As you have said, you are using only a minute portion of the active mass of your brain. The same thing is true with us--many millions of cycles would have to pass before we would be able to fill the brains we now have.”

“Then why are your brains so large?”

“Merely a provision of Nature that no possible accession of knowledge shall find her storehouse too small,” replied Drasnik, positively. “Ready?”

All three donned the headsets and a wave of mental force swept into Seaton’s mind, a wave of such power that the Terrestrial’s every sense wilted under the impact. He did not faint, he did not lose consciousness--he simply lost all control of every nerve and fiber as his entire brain passed into the control of the immense mentality of the First of Psychology and became a purely receptive, plastic medium upon which to impress the knowledge of the aged physicist.


Hour after hour the transfer continued, Seaton lying limp as though lifeless, the two Norlaminians tense and rigid, every faculty concentrated upon the ignorant, virgin brain exposed to their gaze. Finally the operation was complete and Seaton, released from the weird, hypnotic grip of that stupendous mind, gasped, shook himself, and writhed to his feet.

“Great Cat!” he exclaimed, his eyes wide with astonishment. “I wouldn’t have believed there was as much to know in the entire Universe as I know right now, and I know it as well as I ever knew elementary algebra. Thanks, fellows, a million times--but say, did you leave any open spaces for more? In one way, I seem to know less than I did before, there’s so much more to find out. Can I learn anything more, or did you fill me up to capacity?”

The psychologist, who had been listening to the exuberant youth with undisguised pleasure, spoke calmly.

“The mere fact that you appreciate your comparative ignorance shows that you are still capable of learning. Your capacity to learn is greater than it ever was before, even though the waste space has been reduced. Much to our surprise, Rovol and I gave you all of his knowledge that would be of any use to you, and some of my own, and still theoretically you can add to it more than nine times the total of your present knowledge.”

The psychologist departed, and Rovol and Seaton returned to the laboratory, where the forces were still merrily at work. There was nothing that could be done to hasten the connecting, and it was late in the following period of labor before they could begin the actual construction of the projector. Once started, however, it progressed with amazing rapidity. Now understanding the system, it did not seem strange to Seaton that he should merely actuate a certain combination of forces when he desired a certain operation performed; nor did it seem unusual or worthy of comment that one flick of his finger over that switchboard would send a force a distance of hundreds of miles to a factory where other forces were busily at work, to seize a hundred angle-bars of transparent purple metal that were to form the backbone of the fifth-order projector. Nor did it seem peculiar that the same force, with no further instruction, should bring these hundred bars back to him, in a high loop through the atmosphere; should deposit them gently in a convenient space near the site of operations; and then should disappear as though it had never existed! With such tools as that, it was a matter of only a few hours before the projector was done--a task that would have required years of planning and building upon Earth.

Two hundred and fifty feet it towered above their heads, a tubular network of braced and latticed bars of purple metal, fifty feet in diameter at the base and tapering smoothly to a diameter of about ten feet at the top. Built of a metal thousands of times as strong and hard as steel, it was not cumbersome in appearance, and yet was strong enough to be absolutely rigid. Ten enormous supporting forces held the lens of neutronium immovable in the exact center of the upper end; at intervals down the shaft similar forces held variously-shaped lenses and prisms formed from zones of force; in the center of the bottom or floor of the towering structure was the double controlling system, with a universal visiplate facing each operator.

“Well, Rovol, that’s that,” remarked Seaton as the last connection was made. “What say we hop in and give the baby a ride over to the Area of Experiment? Caslor must have the mounting done, and we’ve got time enough left in this period to try her out.”

“In a moment. I am setting the fourth-order projector to go out to the dwarf star after an additional supply of neutronium.”

Seaton, knowing from the data of their first journey, that the controls could be so set as to duplicate their feat in every particular without supervision, stepped into his seat in the new controller, pressed a key, and spoke.

“Hi, Dottie, what’s on your mind?”

“Nothing much,” Dorothy’s clear voice answered. “Got it done and can I see it?”

“Sure--sit tight and I’ll send a boat after you.”

As he spoke, Rovol’s flier darted into the air and away; and in two minutes it returned, slowing abruptly as it landed. Dorothy stepped out, radiant, and returned Seaton’s enthusiastic caresses with equal fervor before she spoke.

“Lover, I’m afraid you violated all known speed laws getting me over here. Aren’t you afraid of getting pinched?”

“Nope--not here. Besides, I didn’t want to keep Rovol waiting--we’re all ready to go. Hop in here with me, this left-hand control’s mine.”

Rovol entered the tube, took his place, and waved his hand. Seaton’s hands swept over the keys and the whole gigantic structure wafted into the air. Still upright, it was borne upon immense rods of force toward the Area of Experiment, which was soon reached. Covered as the Area was with fantastic equipment, there was no doubt as to their destination, for in plain sight, dominating all the lesser instruments, there rose a stupendous telescopic mounting, with an enormous hollow tube of metallic lattice-work which could be intended for nothing else than their projector. Approaching it carefully, Seaton deftly guided the projector lengthwise into that hollow receptacle and anchored it in the exact optical axis. Flashing beams of force made short work of welding the two tubes together immovably with angles and lattices of the same purple metal, the terminals of the variable-speed motors were attached to the controllers, and everything was in readiness for the first trial.

“What special instructions do we need to run it, if any?” Seaton asked of the First of Mechanism, who had lifted himself up into the projector.

“Very little. This motor governs the hour motion, that one the right ascension. The potentiometers regulate the degree of vernier action--any ratio is possible, from direct drive up to more than a hundred million complete revolutions of that graduated dial to give you one second of arc.”

“Plenty fine, I’d say. Thanks a lot, ace. Whither away, Rovol--any choice?”

“Anywhere you please, son, since this is merely a try-out.”

“O. K. We’ll hop over and tell Dunark hello.”

The tube swung around into line with that distant planet and Seaton stepped down hard, upon a pedal. Instantly they seemed infinite myriads of miles out in space, the green system barely visible as a faint green star behind them.

“Wow, that ray’s fast!” exclaimed the pilot, ruefully. “I overshot about a thousand light years. We’ll try again, with considerably less power,” and he rearranged and reset the dials and meters before him. Adjustment after adjustment and many reductions in power had to be made before the projection ceased leaping millions of miles at a touch, but finally the operators became familiar with the new technique and the ray became manageable. Soon they were hovering above what had been Mardonal, and saw that all signs of warfare had disappeared. Slowly turning the controls, Seaton flashed the projection over the girdling Osnomian sea and guided it through the impregnable metal walls of the palace into the throne room of Roban, where they saw the Emperor, Tarnan the Karbix, and Dunark in close conference.

“Well, here we are,” remarked Seaton. “Now we’ll put on a little visibility and give the natives a treat.”

“Sh-sh,” whispered Dorothy, “they’ll hear you, Dick--we’re intruding shamefully.”

“No, they won’t hear us, because I haven’t heterodyned the audio in on the wave yet. And as for intruding, that’s exactly what we came over here for.”


He imposed the audio system upon the inconceivably high frequency of their carrier wave and spoke in the Osnomian tongue.

“Greetings, Roban, Dunark, and Tarnan, from Seaton.” All three jumped to their feet, amazed, staring about the empty room as Seaton went on, “I am not here in person. I am simply sending you my projection. Just a moment and I will put on a little visibility.”

He brought more forces into play, and solid images of force appeared in the great hall; images of the three occupants of the controller. Introductions and greetings over, Seaton spoke briefly and to the point.

“We’ve got everything we came after--much more than I had any idea we could get. You need have no more fear of the Fenachrone--we have found a science superior to theirs. But much remains to be done, and we have none too much time; therefore I have come to you with certain requests.”

“The Overlord has but to command,” replied Roban.

“Not command, since we are all working together for a common cause. In the name of that cause, Dunark, I ask you to come to me at once, accompanied by Tarnan and any others you may select. You will be piloted by a ray which we shall set upon your controls. Upon your way here you will visit the First City of Dasor, another planet, where you will pick up Sacner Carfon, who will be awaiting you there.”

“As you direct, so it shall be,” and Seaton flashed the projector to the neighboring planet of Urvania. There he found that the gigantic space-cruiser he had ordered had been completed, and requested Urvan and his commander-in-chief to tow it to Norlamin, piloted by a ray. He then jumped to Dasor, there interviewing Carfon and being assured of the full co-operation of the porpoise-men.

“Well, that’s that, folks,” said Seaton as he shut off the power. “We can’t do much more for a few days, until the gang gets here for the council of war. How’d it be, Rovol, for me to practice with this outfit while you are finishing up the odds and ends you want to clean up? You might suggest to Orlon, too, that it’d be a good deed for him to pilot those folks over here.”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close