Skylark Three - Cover

Skylark Three

Public Domain

Chapter 15: The Extra-Galactic Duel

Loaded until her outer skin almost bulged with tightly packed bars of uranium and equipped to meet any emergency of which the combined efforts of the mightiest intellects of Norlamin could foresee even the slightest possibility, Skylark Three lay quiescent. Quiescent, but surcharged with power, she seemed to Seaton’s tense mind to share his own eagerness to be off; seemed to be motionlessly straining at her neutral controls in a futile endeavor to leave that unnatural and unpleasant environment of atmosphere and of material substance, to soar outward into absolute zero of temperature and pressure, into the pure and undefiled ether which was her natural and familiar medium.

The five human beings were grouped near an open door of their cruiser; before them were the ancient scientists, who for so many days had been laboring with them in their attempt to crush the monstrous race which was threatening the Universe. With the elders were the Terrestrials’ many friends from the Country of Youth, and surrounding the immense vessel in a throng covering an area to be measured only in square miles were massed myriads of Norlaminians. From their tasks everywhere had come the mental laborers; the Country of Youth had been left depopulated; even those who, their lifework done, had betaken themselves to the placid Nirvana of the Country of Age, returned briefly to the Country of Study to speed upon its way that stupendous Ship of Peace.

The majestic Fodan, Chief of the Five, was concluding his address:

“And may the Unknowable Force direct your minor forces to a successful conclusion of your task. If, upon the other hand, it should by some unforeseen chance be graven upon the Sphere that you are to pass in this supreme venture, you may pass in all tranquillity, for the massed intellect of our entire race is here supporting me in my solemn affirmation that the Fenachrone shall not be allowed to prevail. In the name of all Norlamin, I bid you farewell.”

[Illustration: Very slowly at first, the unimaginable mass of the vessel floated lightly upward.]

Crane spoke briefly in reply and the little group of Earthly wanderers stepped into the elevator. As they sped upward toward the control room, door after door shot into place behind them, establishing a manifold seal. Seaton’s hand played over the controls and the great cruiser of the void tilted slowly upward until its narrow prow pointed almost directly into the zenith. Then, very slowly at first, the unimaginable mass of the vessel floated lightly upward, with a slowly increasing velocity. Faster and faster she flew--out beyond measurable atmosphere, out beyond the outermost limits of the green system. Finally, in interstellar space, Seaton threw out super-powered detector and repelling screens, anchored himself at the driving console with a force, set the power control at “molecular” so that the propulsive force affected alike every molecule of the vessel and its contents, and, all sense of weight and acceleration lost, he threw in the plunger switch which released every iota of the theoretically possible power of the driving mass of uranium.

Staring intently into the visiplate, he corrected their course from time to time by minute fractions of a second of arc; then, satisfied at last, he set the automatic forces which would guide them, temporarily out of their course, around any obstacles, such as the uncounted thousands of solar systems lying in or near their path. He then removed the restraining forces from his body and legs, and with a small pencil of force wafted himself over to Crane and the two women.

“Well, bunch,” he stated, matter-of-fact, “we’re on our way. We’ll be this way for some time, so we might as well get used to it. Any little thing you want to talk over?”

“How long will it take us to catch ‘em?” asked Dorothy “Traveling this way isn’t half as much fun as it is when you let us have some weight to hold us down.”

“Hard to tell exactly, Dottie. If we had precisely four times their acceleration and had started from the same place, we would of course overtake them in just the number of days they had the start of us, since the distance covered at any constant positive acceleration is proportional to the square of the time elapsed. However, there are several complicating factors in the actual situation. We started out not only twenty-nine days behind them, but also a matter of five hundred thousand light-years of distance. It will take us quite a while to get to their starting-point. I can’t tell even that very close, as we will probably have to reduce this acceleration before we get out of the Galaxy, in order to give detectors and repellers time to act on stars and other loose impediments. Powerful as those screens are and fast as they work, there is a limit to the velocity we can use here in this crowded Galaxy. Outside it, in free space, of course we can open her up again. Then, too, our acceleration is not exactly four times theirs, only three point nine one eight six. On the other hand, we don’t have to catch them to go to work on them. We can operate very nicely at five thousand light-centuries. So there you are--it’ll probably be somewhere between thirty-nine and forty-one days, but it may be a day or so more or less.”

“How do you know they are using copper?” asked Margaret. “Maybe their scientists stored up some uranium and know how to use it.”

“Nope, that’s out like a light. First, Mart and I saw only copper bars in their ship. Second, copper is the most efficient metal found in quantity upon their planet. Third, even if they had uranium or any metal of its class, they couldn’t use it without a complete knowledge of, and ability to handle, the fourth and fifth orders of rays.”

“It is your opinion, then, that destroying this last Fenachrone vessel is to prove as simple a matter as did the destruction of the others?” Crane queried, pointedly.

“Hm-m-m. Never thought about it from that angle at all, Mart ... You’re still the ground-and-lofty thinker of the outfit, ain’t you? Now that you mention it, though, we may find that the Last of the Mohicans ain’t entirely toothless, at that. But say, Mart, how come I’m as wild and cock-eyed as I ever was? Rovol’s a slow and thoughtful old codger, and with his accumulation of knowledge it looks like I’d be the same way.”

“Far from it,” Crane replied. “Your nature and mine remain unchanged. Temperament is a basic trait of heredity, and is neither affected nor acquired by increase of knowledge. You acquired knowledge from Rovol, Drasnik, and others, as did I--but you are still the flashing genius and I am still your balance wheel. As for Fenachrone toothlessness: now that you have considered it, what is your opinion?”

“Hard to say. They didn’t know how to control the fifth order rays, or they wouldn’t have run. They’ve got real brains, though, and they’ll have something like seventy days to work on the problem. While it doesn’t stand to reason that they could find out much in seventy days, still they may have had a set-up of instruments on their detectors that would have enabled them to analyze our fields and thus compute the structure of the secondary projector we used there. If so, it wouldn’t take them long to find out enough to give us plenty of grief--but I don’t really believe that they knew enough. I don’t quite know what to think. They may be easy and they may not; but, easy or hard to get, we’re loaded for bear and I’m plenty sure that we’ll pull their corks.”

“So am I, really, but we must consider every contingency. We know that they had at least a detector of fifth-order rays...”

“And if they did have an analytical detector,” Seaton interrupted, “they’ll probably slap a ray on us as soon as we stick our nose out of the Galaxy!”

“They may--and even though I do not believe that there is any probability of them actually doing it, it will be well to be armed against the possibility.”

“Right, old top--we’ll do that little thing!”


Uneventful days passed, and true to Seaton’s calculations, the awful acceleration with which they had started out could not be maintained. A few days before the edge of the Galaxy was reached, it became necessary to cut off the molecular drive, and to proceed with an acceleration equal only to that of gravitation at the surface of the Earth. Tired of weightlessness and its attendant discomforts to everyday life, the travelers enjoyed the interlude immensely, but it was all too short--too soon the stars thinned out ahead of “Three’s“ needle prow. As soon as the way ahead of them was clear, Seaton again put on the maximum power of his terrific bars and, held securely at the console, set up a long and involved integral. Ready to transfer the blended and assembled forces to a plunger, he stayed his hand, thought a moment, and turned to Crane.

“Want some advice, Mart. I’d thought of setting up three or four courses of five-ply screen on the board--a detector screen on the outside of each course, next to it a repeller, then a full-coverage ether-ray screen, then a zone of force, and a full-coverage fifth-order ray-screen as a liner. Then, with them all set up on the board, but not out, throw out a wide detector. That detector would react upon the board at impact with anything hostile, and automatically throw out the courses it found necessary.”

“That sounds like ample protection, but I am not enough of a ray-specialist to pass an opinion. Upon what point are you doubtful?”

“About leaving them on the board. The only trouble is that the reaction isn’t absolutely instantaneous. Even fifth-order rays would require a millionth of a second or so to set the courses. Now if they were using ether waves, that would be lots of time to block them, but if they should happen to have fifth-order stuff it’d get here the same time our own detector-impulse would, and it’s just barely conceivable that they might give us a nasty jolt before the defenses went out. Nope, I’m developing a cautious streak myself now, when I take time to do it. We’ve got lots of uranium, and I’m going to put one course out.”

“You cannot put everything out, can you?”

“Not quite, but pretty nearly, I’ll leave a hole in the ether screen to pass visible light--no, I won’t either. You folks can see just as well, even on the direct-vision wall plates, with light heterodyned on the fifth, so we’ll close all ether bands, absolutely. All we’ll have to leave open will be the one extremely narrow band upon which our projector is operating, and I’ll protect that with a detector screen. Also, I’m going to send out all four courses, instead of only one--then I’ll know we’re all right.”

“Suppose they find our one band, narrow as it is? Of course, if that were shut off automatically by the detector, we’d be safe; but would we not be out of control?”

“Not necessarily--I see you didn’t get quite all this stuff over the educator. The other projector worked that way, on one fixed band out of the nine thousand odd possible. But this one is an ultra-projector, an improvement invented at the last minute. Its carrier wave can be shifted at will from one band of the fifth order to any other one; and I’ll bet a hat that’s one thing the Fenachrone haven’t got! Any other suggestions? ... all right, let’s get busy!”

A single light, quick-acting detector was sent out ahead of four courses of five-ply screen, then Seaton’s fingers again played over the keys, fabricating a detector screen so tenuous that it would react to nothing weaker than a copper power bar in full operation and with so nearly absolute zero resistance that it could be driven at the full velocity of his ultra-projector. Then, while Crane watched the instruments closely and while Dorothy and Margaret watched the faces of their husbands with only mild interest, Seaton drove home the plunger that sent that prodigious and ever-widening fan ahead of them with a velocity unthinkable millions of times that of light. For five minutes, until that far-flung screen had gone as far as it could be thrown by the utmost power of the uranium bar, the two men stared at the unresponsive instruments, then Seaton shrugged his shoulders.

“I had a hunch,” he remarked with a grin. “They didn’t wait for us a second. ‘I don’t care for some, ‘ says they, ‘I’ve already had any.’ They’re running in a straight line, with full power on, and don’t intend to stop or slow down.”

“How do you know?” asked Dorothy. “By the distance? How far away are they?”

“I know, Red-Top, by what I didn’t find out with that screen I just put out. It didn’t reach them, and it went so far that the distance is absolutely meaningless, even expressed in parsecs. Well, a stern chase is proverbially a long chase, and I guess this one isn’t going to be any exception.”


Every eight hours Seaton launched his all-embracing ultra-detector, but day after day passed and the instruments remained motionless after each cast of that gigantic net. For several days the Galaxy behind them had been dwindling from a mass of stars down to a huge bright lens; down to a small, faint lens; down to a faintly luminous patch. At the previous cast of the detector it had still been visible as a barely-perceptible point of light in the highest telescopic power of the visiplate. Now, as Dorothy and Seaton, alone in the control room, stared into that visiplate, everything was blank and black; sheer, indescribable blackness; the utter and absolute absence of everything visible or tangible.

“This is awful, Dick ... It’s just too darn horrible. It simply scares me pea-green!” she shuddered as she drew herself to him, and he swept both his mighty arms around her in a soul-satisfying embrace.

“‘Sall right, darling. That stuff out there’d scare anybody--I’m scared purple myself. It isn’t in any finite mind to understand anything infinite or absolute. There’s one redeeming feature, though, cuddle-pup--we’re together.”

“You chirped it, lover!” Dorothy returned his caresses with all her old-time fervor and enthusiasm. “I feel lots better now. If it gets to you that way, too, I know it’s perfectly normal--I was beginning to think maybe I was yellow or something ... but maybe you’re kidding me?” she held him off at arm’s length, looking deep into his eyes: then, reassured, went back-into his arms. “Nope, you feel it, too,” and her glorious auburn head found its natural resting-place in the curve of his mighty shoulder.

“Yellow! ... You?” Seaton pressed his wife closer still! and laughed aloud. “Maybe--but so is picric acid; so is nitroglycerin; and so is pure gold.”

“Flatterer!” Her low, entrancing chuckle bubbled over. “But you know I just revel in it. I’ll kiss you for that!”

“It is awfully lonesome out here, without even a star to look at,” she went on, after a time, then laughed again. “If the Cranes and Shiro weren’t along, we’d be really ‘alone at last, ‘ wouldn’t we?”

“I’ll say we would! But that reminds me of something. According to my figures, we might have been able to detect the Fenachrone on the last test, but we didn’t. Think I’ll try ‘em again before we turn in.”

Once more he flung out that tenuous net of force, and as it reached the extreme limit of its travel, the needle of the micro-ammeter flickered slightly, barely moving off its zero mark.

“Whee! Whoopee!” he yelled. “Mart, we’re on ‘em!”

“Close?” demanded Crane, hurrying into the control room upon his beam.

“Anything but. Barely touched ‘em--current something less than a thousandth of a micro-ampere on a million to one step-up. However, it proves our ideas are O. K.”

The next day--Skylark III was running on Eastern Standard Time, of the Terrestrial United States of America--the two mathematicians covered sheet after sheet of paper with computations and curves. After checking and rechecking the figures, Seaton shut off the power, released the molecular drive, and applied acceleration of twenty-nine point six oh two feet per second; and five human beings breathed as one a profound sigh of relief as an almost-normal force of gravitation was restored to them.

“Why the let-up?” asked Dorothy. “They’re an awful long ways off yet, aren’t they? Why not hurry up and catch them?”

“Because we’re going infinitely faster than they are now. If we kept up full acceleration, we’d pass them so fast that we couldn’t fight them at all. This way, we’ll still be going a lot faster than they are when we get close to them, but not enough faster to keep us from maneuvering relatively to their vessel, if things should go that far. Guess I’ll take another reading on ‘em.”

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close