Stars of Destiny - Cover

Stars of Destiny

Copyright© 2020 by Al Kristopher

Chapter 18: Chimou the Ferocious, Tenfu the Wealthy, and Tengou of Conflagration

A long time ago, I heard of an operation called Project Nemesis, which was designed to instill fear into the masses and to ultimately control most of the known galaxy through means of terrorism. This Project Nemesis was supported by a handful of some of the most powerful and dangerous persons that had ever lived, but none were as deadly as the Grandmaster behind the entire operation, a cruel and tyrannical dictator named Grady Dorina.

Through the extended efforts of a team of specialists, the head figures behind Project Nemesis were either killed or arrested. Slowly, little by little, the organization was chipped away, and soon, even the biggest names behind the business were lost. Their main headquarters were captured and reformed, and their future secret base, a space colony flying over somewhere in the Mint system, was reclaimed and purged from evil. Eventually, Project Nemesis ceased to be--not only because the main sources of funding were being wiped out, but the strength as well. Money and power got Project Nemesis far, and without it, the entire operation collapsed.

Grady was completely ignored throughout the whole ordeal. His identity was so secret that only six people involved with Project Nemesis knew who he was. Of course, I may be incorrect when I say that, but the chances aren’t likely. This man was very deliberate and cautious--heck, he couldn’t have survived his own brainchild if he weren’t. Anyway, Grady’s still out there, still at large, but this time, he may have come up with an even more diabolical scheme than the last: System GOLGOTHA.

From what these disks tell us, System GOLGOTHA is a kind of Supercomputer, or either a massive programming within one. Either way, it’s all wired up in some Mega Mainframe, which may very well be so large that the entire construction takes up a whole house. Anyway, I’m getting off track. The point is that Grady Dorina has resurfaced again, with a plan five times worse than the one he initially began with. Of course, his reason for starting this scheme or any other is unknown, and I’m not going to waste time divulging on it, especially since we’re fairly strapped for time here.

When I first scanned over this data, I didn’t know how Grady was getting the funds for this project, nor the influence to spread it around. It turns out that I wasn’t looking hard enough; Grady has enlisted the aide of two of the most powerful men in this solar system, perhaps even the galaxy. They both live on Earth, and only a few people, myself included, know that they’re working for Grady.

The man funding System GOLGOTHA is a rich entrepreneur named Lucius Natassti. Shift, you may have heard about him before--I mean, who hasn’t? He’s this generation’s Solomon, but I wouldn’t say that he’s exactly the epitome of kindness. Lucius has so much money that he can literally buy this whole planet; God knows how he got so much. The point is that this rich man is giving Grady the money he needs, and in turn he’s also planning on distributing System GOLGOTHA, whatever it is, across the galaxy. He has that power, so...

The third member of this evil triumvirate is just as bad as Grady and Lucius, and maybe even worse still. He’s the muscle behind the group; he’s commanded more people than Caesar and Napoleon put together, and he’s about as terrifying a dictator as ever there was one. His name is Ilyich Brokolov, so he’s a Rusky. He’s a bit old of age, but from what I read, his influence and lethality are not to be ignored. This man is bad news, I can guarantee you that.

Together, Grady, Lucius, and Ilyich form a trio of some of the most villainous, devious, powerful, influential, and terrifying human beings that were ever created. Just dealing with one of them will be a problem for us, but we have the unfortunate privilege of taking on all three of them. This is the reason why I asked you all to be my allies: I personally want to stop them before System GOLGOTHA is unleashed, or else who knows what untold devastation can come of it. Grady nearly put a submission hold on the entire galaxy, and these files say that System GOLGOTHA is going to be even more ambitious.

... The bad news is, the data I found on this disk will only get us so far. I researched most of what I read on the Tatania’s database, but we’re going to have to guess our way through most everything else. I do know that the main base for System GOLGOTHA might in fact be here in Russia, where Ilyich is from, which is why I asked everyone to rendezvous here. I can only assume that both Grady and Lucius are hanging around here as well, but you can blame my lack of knowledge if I’m wrong.

Well, that about wraps things up. I really can’t think of anything else to say, really. I for one am definitely going after them, and I can only pray that everyone else comes along too. Tia’s coming with me, but even the two of us put together are no match for those three men. I wanted to gather together a team of specialists who I could trust, but I suppose this will have to do ... Don’t give me those looks, now. There’s not a one among you who really knows what they’re getting into, myself included.

Why bother? Well, let me ask you this. What would happen if we didn’t try to stop them? ... Yes, that’s right. I can assume that you know what the consequences would be. Well, I’ve certainly said enough. Is everybody with me? ... Good. Thanks, everyone. That really means a lot to me. I think we really have a chance now.

Jerwon, would you like to go with Dana, me, and Tia? Yeah? All right, good. I’m going after Grady myself, so I need a team of people I can trust. That arm of yours is really great, and it might just come in handy. Besides, I think Tia likes you. Hahahahahahaha!

Okay, okay, now for Lucius. Zet, I know that you and Diana aren’t going anywhere without the other, so why don’t you go after him? Shift, you go with them. I have the coordinates to Lucius’ base but you’ll have to find it on your own. Will there be any problems? No? Good!

Hey, you three! Yeah, that’s right! You! Didn’t you all have a score to settle with your former employer? Well, if my hunch serves me correct, then it was Ilyich, right? Yeah, I thought so. Okay, Dustin and the goat will take care of him. You go with them, Sahn. I hope you guys know that I don’t trust you all that much. Yeah, well, do whatever you need to do to get the job done. Yeah, good luck to us all.

All right Dana, Tia, Jerwon! Are you three ready to rumble? I honestly hope so, because we’re going to be heading out first thing tomorrow morning!!

“Russian nights are cold, Tia,” whispered Cattia as she bundled up for the night chill. “The Tatania can only heat us up so much. If you don’t wanna freeze your bottom off, you’re gonna have to sleep with me.”

“Hmph!” snorted the girl. “It just so happens that I don’t need warmth like you do! Half of my body isn’t even organic, remember?”

“Still,” replied Cattia, “I think it would be best if we shared a bed. Don’t worry, I don’t have any perverse intentions. You’re my little sister, and I do love you, but not in that sense.”

“Yeah, whatever!” snorted Titania--but even with her harsh words, she put on a light coat and slipped into the bunk with Cattia. The older girl’s tutorial concerning System GOLGOTHA had been very informing to everyone that was in the dark (which pretty much was everyone), and a few plans were already being made as to how they were going to approach such a situation. They had plans to infiltrate the headquarters of Grady and his comrades first thing in the morning, so for the time being, they had to get their rest.

The Tatania was big enough for everyone to have somewhere to sleep, but since it had powered down in order to avoid detection, the temperature inside was dropping rapidly. Russian nights were just as cold as they had always been, and even with the ship’s backup heat conditioners, the inside would still be rather chilly. Therefore, in order to prevent frostbite or worse, the crew had to bunk with one person or another. For some, this was obviously going to be a bit uncomfortable.

“Are you going to be all right, Lady Diana?” asked Zet. She gave him an apathetic look but replied with civility.

“ ... Yeah. Remember, I’m half-dragon, so the cold doesn’t bother me at all. I could even sleep outside and be perfectly all right. What about you?” Zet paused just long enough to let his fair face turn a dark shade of pink, and he coughed a few times before expressing his thoughts.

“Well, um, ah, you see ... the thing is ... Well, Lord Dustin and his partner Woolyford do not seem to be affected either. With all the heavy clothes that the former wears, he could very well camp outside as well, and that strange goat he keeps around has a natural defense against such freezing temperatures. I, however, am somewhat more vulnerable to the cold, as is everyone else on this vessel.”

“Well, yeah, I know that,” she stated. “But what’s your point? If you want me to create a fire in the ship--”

“No, I would never ask for such a thing!” exclaimed the elf. “What I am trying to say is that ... well, I do not mean to be lewd, Lady Diana, but perhaps ... maybe ... if you found it in your heart ... to allow Lord Jerwon and myself to, ah ... bunk with you? It will just be for this one night, of course!!!!!!” Diana’s empty gaze was unaffected by Zet’s last, desperate sentence, and with a casual shrug she gave him her verdict.

“I’ve got no problems lettin’ Jerwon bunk with me. No offense, Zatore, but he’s probably the only person on this whole ship that I completely trust. I guess you’d be a very close number two...”

“And only cuz’ she’s known me longer,” pointed the smaller one. Zet nodded his head.

“I understand completely. I will not ask anything of you that will be uncomfortable...”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close