Mosley Station
Chapter 12

Copyright© 2020 by Mark Randall

“Tonight, a special report on FN court TV, the long-awaited trial of Colonel Hezekiah Montgomery, also known as the butcher of Windemere crater. The Admirals Court is being held in the FN chambers on Phobos.”

“At issue are the actions of Colonel Montgomery and his pirate gang, Colonel Montgomery, known as Captain Ernest Sheridan, is accused of taking over the famous asteroid belt outpost of Mosley Station. Then when relief efforts organized by Senator Johnson of the Federated Nations Grand Senate and with the assistance of the Kennedy/Morrison Corporation. He led an attack that left many members of the relieve crew dead or injured.”

“It is the contention of the Federated Nations that while he was in illegal control of the station, He committed murder, forced prostitution, drug peddling and a laundry list of other lesser crimes including grand theft and kidnapping.”

“Seated on the Federated Nations bench are Admiral’s Koenig, Birch and Long. All of who are well known among legal circles as the finest adjudicators in the FN fleet. Prosecuting the pirates is Major Anthony Bailey. Another star in the fleets Adjutant Generals Corps.”

“On the other side of the aisle is Colonel Hezekiah Montgomery, who has refused counsel. He is being seen in absentia, on camera, as he also refuses to return to FN controlled space. He has also refused to proffer a guilty or not guilty plea. The FN appeals court has determined that the case can continue without that plea. That a plea of Not Guilty will be entered for him.”

“Further Colonel Montgomery refuses to answer to his name. Demanding that the name and title of Captain Ernest Sheridan be used. Again, the appeals court has bowed to these outrageous demands. And so, after months of legal maneuvering and haggling, what has been called the trial of the century begins.”

The scene changed from the famous FN logo, to the interior of the supreme Fleet Court room.

The piercing sound of the yeoman’s whistle broke the silence of the conference room.

“SILENCE IN THE COURT ROOM. ALL THOSE IN ATTENDANCE ARE CALLED TO ORDER. ALL RISE FOR THE HONORABLE COURT.”

A door to the side of the judges’ bench opened and the 3 adjutant judges entered. All were dressed in fleet dress blues. Their ribbons and awards weighing heavily on their breasts. Their service stripes, without exception showed a minimum of 30 years each. All had command stars on their shoulder epilates.

As the Judges were seated, the Bailiff said, “Be seated. We are gathered here to hear evidence concerning the actions taken on Mosley Station. A civilian space operation under Federated Nations Naval Fleet protections.”

The lead prosecuting attorney rose. “Honorable Sir’s, The Judge Advocates Corps calls your attention to the case of Captain Ernest Sheridan, AKA Coronel Hezekiah Montgomery.

And thus, began my trial. For the next 2 weeks there was a continuous parade of people being interviewed by the prosecutor. There was Senator Johnson, who presented himself as mild mannered and selfless protector of the weak and defenseless. Then there was Mr. Kashamir Singe. He styled himself as a confused and ignorant underling of a huge corporation, just trying to do the right thing. He detailed how he had been contacted by the Senator about the vicious pirate takeover of the peaceful and defenseless Mosley station. And how he immediately offered any and all resources of the K/M corporation to assist in this emergency.”

This was followed by a long line of former business owners from Mosley. First and foremost was the former station master and the leaders of the ruling council. They described how I corralled all of them and threatened their families and themselves if they didn’t sign over their businesses to me and leave the station. They described the fear and anxiety that they and their families felt during their arduous and dangerous flight to safety in the FN territory.

They were followed by a parade of people who supposedly had been abused by myself from the time of my birth, til I was ousted from the Fleet Marines.

During this entire process, I said nothing. I made no objections, I declined to cross examine any witnesses. Eventually the Prosecution wound down and concluded their case. Without exception all of the witnesses had been hostile to me. I said nothing.

The lead judge asked if I had anything to say in my defense?

“Defense? No, your honor, I make no defense to what has been said here, beyond saying that the script was beautifully prepared and the actors followed their parts diligently.”

“Now I am going to state the reality of this case. As of this moment, the asteroid belt, to include the De Kuiper’s belt is an independent state. And as an independent state, You, this court and the political leadership behind it have no jurisdiction over me. I reject your charges.”

I waited for the shouts of outrage from the audience died down.

“I am releasing recorded videos of statements made by Senator Lincoln Jackson, Kashamir Singe and Aga Khan that prove, beyond a shadow of doubt that the pirate actions taken against Mosley station were planned, funded and directed by them, ‘Personally’. I am also releasing authenticated statements from the surviving officers of the ‘Queen Anne’s Revenge’ proving that these 3 had personal premeditated knowledge concerning criminal activities against Mosley and other locations in the belt.”

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close