Star Guardian 3 - Cover

Star Guardian 3

Copyright© 2020 by Duncan7

Chapter 30: To Quard

I left the dining area and visited Laine’s cabin. Soon after I rang the door chime, a sleepy-looking Laine opened the door.

“Good morning, Laine,” I said.

“Good morning, Brian. What’s up?” asked Laine.

“We’ve got visitors. A vessel from Quard is arriving, and they want to talk with you and me,” I replied.

I watched her brain engage. Her eyes opened wide.

“Do you know what it’s about?” she asked.

“Not yet. I suppose it could be your father come to visit,” I offered.

“Oh ... I’ll be out in a few minutes!” said Laine.

“I’ll be in the dining area. See you soon,” I said.

She closed her door, and I returned to the food dispenser and got another coffee. The sun was above the horizon and it was getting warm.

It wasn’t long before she arrived and sat next to me. She took my coffee and sipped on it.

“Mmm, that’s better! How soon before they arrive?” she asked.

“In an hour, I should think,” I replied.

“Let’s take the shuttle up to meet them in orbit,” she suggested.

“Sure, we can do that,” I said. “Let’s change into our away team uniforms.”


We returned to our cabins and changed into our away team uniforms. Soon after, I met Laine in the reception area.

“Kreia, please inform the Commodore when she awakes that we’re going to meet our guests. We should be back soon,” I said.

“Confirmed,” replied Kreia.

We stepped out to the landing pad and entered the airlock. I sat in the pilot seat and Laine sat beside me in the copilot seat.

After my pre-flight checks, we launched quietly, using anti-gravity to avoid waking Jem and Saria.

I moved the shuttle away from the island before engaging the main engines and turning upwards.

“I wonder what brings them to Yastri?” asked Laine.

“They said they wanted to talk with both of us. We’re so rarely in one location, it’s surprising they found us at home,” I replied.

I pressed a button and a tactical view showed on the display. I could see the Quard vessel approaching orbit.

“Just wait until my father meets Kreia,” said Laine.

“She is rather amazing,” I said. “It looks like we’ll arrive about the same time as them.”

I hailed the Quard vessel.

“Quard vessel, Baglogi shuttle. We’re coming up from the planet’s surface. We’ll be coming alongside to dock shortly,” I said.

“Acknowledged,” replied the Quard vessel on audio. Then they ended the call.

“Not very talkative,” I said.

Laine nodded, a confused look on her face that mirrored my own.

We continued to climb into orbit to match the Quard vessel. It takes a little effort to match orbit and speed to dock.

Before long we slowly approached their side docking port and I left the final manoeuvres to the automated docking system.

“This is strange. If my father was aboard, I’d expect him to contact us before now,” said Laine.

“I agree. We’ll find out soon,” I said.

The shuttle completed the docking, and the lights on the airlock showed green (safe for egress).

I opened the door on our side and we stepped into the airlock.

A moment later, the airlock cycled, and we stepped aboard the Quard vessel.

Waiting inside were several Quard security forces, with their weapons pointed in our direction.

“Hello?” I asked.

“Commander Brian, I have a warrant for your arrest for the murder of Ambassador Talagni,” said one officer.

“Excuse me??” I asked.

I looked at Laine, she seemed as confused as I was.

“Per the terms of our alliance with the Baglogi, specifically the extradition treaty, we are here to transport you back to Quard to answer the charges,” said the officer.

Another of the security forces placed wrist restraints on me while this happened. I just stood there stunned. We were allies!

“My father is dead??” asked Laine. She was finally understanding what they said.

“The Commander shot and killed your father on his way to work. We have it all on security video. It was him,” replied the officer.

“You must have made a mistake, Brian didn’t kill my father,” said Laine.

“There’s no mistake,” he said.

They started guiding me away from the airlock, away from Laine.

“Laine, go tell the Commodore,” I called to Laine.

“No way, I’m coming with you to Quard,” said Laine.

“We’re just here to transport the prisoner. We’ve no orders to transport you,” said the officer to Laine.

“I’m a Quard citizen, and the daughter of the ambassador. You just told me my father is dead. I have every reason to return with you,” said Laine emphatically.

The officer looked at his colleagues and shrugged.

I turned to the security forces officer who held me. “Can we call our vessel? It will remote control the shuttle and send it back down to the planet,” I asked.

She nodded at me.

“Nothing else!” ordered another.

I called Ship on my communicator.

“Ship, take remote control of the shuttle. Undock and send it back down to the planet. Laine and I will leave with the Quard vessel,” I said.

“Confirmed,” replied Ship.

I closed the call and turned to the security forces.

They took me through a doorway and around a corner. We arrived in a cabin where they had me change from my away team uniform and into a jumpsuit.

I hoped they treated Laine better than this.


At the outer reaches of the Earth system, a Baglogi message probe arrived. It broadcast a hail to the system control. Quon responded and gave clearance for it to travel to the far side of Saturn.

Upon arrival, the message probe transferred its payload, then went dormant, pending redeployment.

Quon considered the request. Captain Brian had asked for coffee plants from Earth. If possible, then transport the plants to the Uv’ek system.

Quon prepared orders for a vessel to transport plants. He sent them to the manufacturing facility in the asteroid belt.

Building a vessel was the straightforward part. The hard part was to get the plants without disturbing the primitive population. The AI pondered the problem until it came up with a potential solution.

Quon had monitored the progress of one being on Earth. Brian had returned her to the planet, after rescuing her from abduction by Tians.

Quon reached out to Cathy, using a primitive form of communication. He sent her an email.

From: quon@baglogi.net
Subject: Coffee plants.

I need to get multiple live coffee plants.

Can you help me?

Cathy received the email and nearly clicked on the spam button. It took her a moment to figure out who was sending her a message. She sent a brief response to confirm.

To: quon@baglogi.net
Subject: Re: Coffee plants.

Is this for our mutual friend Brian?

Cathy

Minutes later, she got a response.

From: quon@baglogi.net
Subject: Re: Coffee plants.

Confirmed.

Your planet is a closed system. I cannot interfere.

Your previous exposure makes you an acceptable risk.

Please confirm your acceptance and outline your requirements.

Cathy considered the email. She could use this opportunity to leave Earth and rejoin her rescuers.

To: quon@baglogi.net
Subject: Re: Coffee plants.

I’d be glad to help you get coffee plants, and any other plants needed. I can buy them online and have them delivered to my home.

In exchange, I want passage off the planet.

And I’ll need funds to buy the plants.

Cathy


Back on Yastri three, a loud chime woke up Jem in her cabin.

“What’s the matter?” asked Jem.

“Commander Brian, and Ensign Laine are leaving the system, aboard a Quard vessel,” said Kreia.

“What??” asked Jem.

“The Quard vessel arrived this morning. Brian took Laine up to meet them in the shuttle. Beyond that, I have limited information,” replied Kreia.

“Wake Saria. Hail the Quard vessel. I want to know what’s happening,” said Jem.

“Confirmed,” replied Kreia.

Jem dressed in a hurry. She left her cabin to meet with Saria outside her cabin. Saria saluted her.

“Commander,” said Saria.

“Something has happened. Brian and Laine are leaving aboard a Quard vessel,” said Jem.

Saria’s eyes widened.

“They’re still in the system?” asked Saria.

“Let’s find out,” said Jem.

They both walked to the reception area and stood before the hologram of Kreia.

“Update?” asked Jem.

“The vessel is Quard security forces. They have a valid arrest warrant for the Commander. They are taking him back to Quard to stand trial,” replied Kreia.

“And Laine?” asked Jem.

“The warrant charges the Commander with the murder of her father. Ensign Laine is returning to Quard with them,” replied Kreia.

“Crap!” exclaimed Jem.

“We could stop them leaving the system?” asked Saria.

“That would be an act of war against our ally. Their actions are consistent with the extradition treaty with the Baglogi. We’d better follow them back to Quard,” replied Jem.

Saria looked toward the landing pad.

“Where’s our shuttle?” she asked.

“The shuttle will arrive shortly,” replied Kreia.

“Fetch your gear, we’ll be leaving as soon as it returns,” said Jem.

“Yes, Commodore!” said Saria.


On the North American continent of the planet Earth, Cathy checked her email again.

Quon hadn’t responded to her last message. She wondered if she pushed too far. At least she had a way of contacting Quon, so she tried again.

To: quon@baglogi.net
Subject: Re: Coffee plants.

The Commodore had invited me to join her crew. I wanted to see my parents again, so I returned to Earth. But I now realize I should’ve accepted her offer.

I’m already exposed, as you said. I can tell my parents I got a new job far away. After that, I can leave quietly.

Once I have funds to buy the plants, I’ll order them and let you know when I’m ready to go.

Cathy

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close