Outward Bound
Chapter 14

Copyright© 2020 by Mark Randall

It was just after a thoroughly disgraceful lunch when Emily received the e-mail. It was short, only one word, but it’s meaning was huge. Anyone reading it would be confused as to its meaning. Those that knew it for a coded message couldn’t even guess at the meaning.

When Emily read the message, fear came over her. These messages were never to her benefit. Calling Jessica into her office, she ordered that a shuttle be laid on for her. And passage to the surface be booked immediately. Ignoring Jessica’s questions, Emily stormed into her quarters and started preparing for the trip.

After showering and fixing her cosmetics, she put on a simple but expensive ao-dai a symbol of her office while on board. But also an indication of wealth and status on mars. She briefly considered her jewelry options and decided that none would be needed. There were two reasons. First was the threat of robbery. She was going unescorted after all. The other was the impression she was going to present. A display of wealth would be counterproductive.

When Emily came out of her quarters, Jessica was waiting for her. “Aunty Emily, you are booked on a surface ship that leaves in approximately an hour and a half. If we leave now, you can catch the station shuttle. They are holding it for you. But we need to hurry.”

On her way to the docking bay, Emily strode head high and proud. People, both family, and crew made way for her as she swept through. Emily considered this a statement of the admiration and awe that she was held. In reality, the reputation of her anger and vengefulness was well known. Fear cleared Emily’s path, not love. Jessica followed along behind. When they arrived at the docking bay, the pilot was standing by, looking at his watch.

“All ready to leave Councilmember. If you and your assistant would board, we’ll get on our way.”

Emily looked over at Jessica. “Not you Jessica.” she turned back to the pilot. “I’ll be the only one.” without further statement, she stepped onto the shuttle. Meanwhile, Jessica stood by, shocked. The pilot looked at her and shrugged his shoulders. He followed Emily pulling the hatch shut behind him.

When Emily was aboard, she looked around. The shuttle was full, but a seat was being held for her in the first row. The shuttle was loaded with contractors and field technicians doing the various repair and installation work. There was a low and angry murmur as Emily took her seat. Hearing the murmurs, she glared at the crowd. Unimpressed, they glared back.

The other passengers were further angered when they arrived at the station. They were asked to wait for Emily before they were allowed to leave.

When she arrived at the ground shuttle bay, Emily’s position on the Sewards Folly was of little or no importance. She was required to wait with the rest of the passengers while the shuttle was prepared for launch. To further disturb her, she was not allowed to board first. The boarding was by seat assignment, and Emily’s seat towards the front of the shuttle was one of the last to board.

The flight to the surface of mars took 3 hours. When the shuttle touched down and taxied to the docking bay, Emily was more than ready to get off the shuttle. As she entered the customs inspection area, she was again subjected to the indignities of anonymity. She wasn’t important or even known. This was to her benefit, but it still irritated her.

When she finally cleared customs and entered the main lobby, she quickly found the towncar that Jessica had laid on for her. Without acknowledging the driver, she climbed in back and ordered the driver to take her to the Ritz Hotel.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close