Outward Bound
Chapter 16

Copyright© 2020 by Mark Randall

Emily was in a foul mood. Even the treat of shopping wasn’t enough to lighten it. Her mood was further darkened when she was told that the shuttle from Port Lowell to the station would be delayed for an hour. Her demands for consideration of her position on the Seward’s Folly fell on deaf ears. She was informed that a police action as in progress, and all flights were delayed.

When she finally arrived on Mars station, she was again informed of another delay. The Seward’s shuttles were tied up on a special mission and unavailable. The earliest a shuttle would be available would be the next day. In a fury, Emily was forced to take a room at the station’s, less than adequate hotel. At least the meal she ordered at the station’s finest restaurant was tolerable, barely. The next morning Emily was the first passenger on the Folly’s shuttle.

When Emily finally stormed into her office, Jessica was fearfully waiting for her. Jessica had learned about the various flight delays. Knowing Emily’s temper, Jessica knew that she would be the likely target of her anger.

Emily stood there, glaring at Jessica, not saying a word. “Ma’am, what’s wrong?” Jessica nervously asked.

As if her words broke the spell, Emily shook her head. “I don’t want to be disturbed.” and stomped into her office, slamming the door behind her.

Several hours later, she came out of her office. “Jessica get this to the Chinaman. I want him to do his best work on this. And none of his excuses.” she handed a sheet of paper to Jessica.

Jessica looked at the note, “An invitation Aunty? For the Captain’s wife? Is that wise? What if she declines?”

“Yes, an invitation. Why would she decline the honor of tea with me? A senior member of the Mother’s Council. I think it’s past time that Ms. Sullivan and I came to an agreement. We could do so much for each other.”

“Ma’am, this is not a good idea. I can’t se...”

“Jessica! I do not care for, or about your opinion. Get the invitation made and sent to the Sullivan woman. You let me handle the thinking around here.”

“Yes, Ma’am, Aunty Johnson, Right away.”

Mr. Chin was an artist. His art had been taught to him by his father, whose father taught him. Going back centuries, the Chin family were artists. Their art was one of the first steps of civilization, the written word. Whether marks in a clay tablet or mass-produced ink on paper books, the written word stood next to cultivation and domestication. In some people’s opinion, it was above them in real importance.

The Chin family began with those clay tablets. They also used chisel and hammer on wood, stone, and metal. As well as brush, ink, and paper. But while others followed the making of statues and portraits, the Chin family concentrated on the written word.

When Mr. Chin’s great-grandfather signed on to the Folly, it was to work in the agriculture area. Over time he gained permission to grow the various plants needed to create paper and ink. The paper he produced was of the finest quality. Any paper with imperfections or errors was destroyed, and he would start over. But this was only part of the art. The Chin true artistry was with ink and brush.

But before the elder Chin’s talents with paper and ink were noticed, it was his talent with hammer and metal that stood out. His skill at engraving was quickly discovered, and he became known as a man of unusual ability. Before long, he was being commissioned to create the plaques used in the remembrance hall. The plaques he produced were finely made and delicately engraved. The calligraphy was heartbreakingly beautiful. Over time, he was commissioned to replace the plaques on previously passed crew members and family.

The other Chin talent was soon found when Mr. Chin started making birth, marriage, and death announcements. It became a matter of family pride and honor to have a Chin birth announcement. The Chin family legacy had been a part of the Seward’s Folly for over 200 years.

The current patriarch of the Chin family was slowly working on an important document. It was a commission from Grandmother Seward herself. It was a certificate of honor for the retired Captain Alan Greene. The wording and designs had been carefully worked out, and Mr. Chin would allow no one else to work on the commission. As well as being Grandmother Seward’s tribute, it was Mr. Chin’s as well. The work was to be finished before the launch. While that date was still in the future, time was growing shorter every day.

Mr. Chin’s work was interrupted by the arrival of his granddaughter. She came into the workshop and stood quietly. All of the family knew that disturbing Mr. Chin at his work was dangerous. Not physically, Mr. Chin wouldn’t risk losing face that way. But even worse would be the loss of face in front of the old man and the family. Betty would wait patiently until her grandfather finished, and then she could continue.

When Mr. Chin finished the letter he was working on, he stopped and cleaned his brush. Checking the bristle conditions and carefully putting it in its case. He then looked up. “Granddaughter, what has bothered you so much?”

The girl, not really a girl. She was 23 years old and had been working with her grandfather for 15 of those years. Bowed, “Grandfather, a woman, has come. She brings a commission.”

“Granddaughter, why is this of concern to me? why interrupt my work?”

“The woman is most insistent grandfather. She demands that you, and only you, can handle the commission.”

“Very well, granddaughter, let us see this commission that demands my attention.”

Stepping into the reception area, the youngest of Mr. Chin’s grandchildren sat behind the desk. Seeing his Aunt and the family patriarch, he scrambled to his feet and bowed low. As he walked by the youngster, Mr. Chin patted him on the shoulder. “Child, please bring tea for our guest. We will be in the conference room.” he then gave a slight bow to the young lady that had been waiting.

“Yes, Ms. Jessica, how can this unworthy one serve you?”

Jessica was stunned. She had not used her name when she presented Emily’s request.

As the 3 of them sat at the conference table, the young man brought in a beautiful porcelain teapot and 3 cups on a silver platter. After placing it on the table, he bowed his way out of the room. Betty Chin started pouring the tea. Starting with Jessica, then her grandfather.

“Mr. Chin, I need an invitation written. It needs to be your best work. It needs to impress the person who receives it.”

“You need Ms. Gibson? I don’t think you need this work. I think your mistress needs this commission. I think your mistress lacks the courage to come to me, personally, and request this commission.”

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close