Outward Bound - Cover

Outward Bound

Copyright© 2020 by Mark Randall

Chapter 18

April and I were in the housing planning section. We were going over the plans for the incoming contractors and new crew members when the receptionist interrupted us.

“Ma’am, Commander Sullivan?”

Looking up from the documents we were going over, she said, “Yes? What is it?”

“Ma’am, there’s a delivery boy out here. He says he has something important for you. I tried to tell him that I would deliver it, but he insists that he has to hand-deliver it.”

April looked at me, I shrugged. “Don’t ask me. I haven’t sent you anything.”

“Very well, let him in.”

The receptionist escorted in a young asian man. As soon as he spotted April, he stopped a good 3 feet from April bowed low and held out an envelope with both hands.

Both April and I were stunned. We had never encountered this kind of formality with the mail. After a moment, April reached out and took the envelope. Then she reached into her pocket and pulled out a ten credit coin. The boy who was backing out of the room got a shocked look on his face. “No, no, Ma’am. No charge.”

“Well, a tip then for your courtesy?”

“No Ma’am, it is my honor.” by this time, he had reached the door. Then fumbling with the knob, he yanked the door open and bolted from the room.

I was half tempted to give chase, but looking over to April, I saw that she had carefully opened the finely made envelope.

As April read the note inside, she got an astonished look on her face. Then she handed me the envelope and letter.

The obvious quality of the writing improved my first impression of the envelope. It was handwritten and carefully crafted.

Madam Sullivan;

It is my great pleasure to invite you to afternoon tea on Thursday next.

Emily Johnson Council Member Seward’s Folly Mother’s Council

When I finished, I looked at April. “Henry, what do you think it means?” She asked.

“Well, at first blush, it looks like the Seward’s Folly high society is making advances. Or the queen bee wants something and seems to feel that you are the key to it.”

“To tell you the truth, that was my thoughts too. Next question, what do I do?”

“I see three options. One, you agree and meet her. I think that’s the only way you’ll have to find out what she wants. Two, you send her a letter of regret. I don’t think it would matter if it were polite or not. Johnson won’t like it. It won’t change anything, but it’ll irritate Emily. Or three, don’t do anything. You still won’t know anything, Emily will still be mad. Maybe madder because it’ll seem like you’re ignoring her.”

“What do you think I should do?”

“Oh no you don’t. She wants you, not me. It’s your decision.” I stood up and walked to the door. “Let me know what you decide. I think I’ll get myself a sauna and a haircut. It seems like a good day for it.” as the door closed, I walked off whistling.

On Thursday afternoon, April came onto the bridge. I was sitting in my command chair, going over division reports. When she came onto the bridge, I saw her from the corner of my eye. She was wearing a new set of coveralls. Her boots were freshly shined to a high gloss. Her wings and close combat badge were also shined and gleaming. “Damn,” I thought, “Impressive.”

I didn’t look up from my reports. She stood there with her fists on her hips, glaring at me. After a minute, she asked, “Well?”

I looked up at her. “Good afternoon, you’re looking spiffy. Got something planned?”

“Henry, you know damned well I’ve got this goofy tea party with queen Emily. And I’m not looking forward to it.”

“Is that today? I thought it was later. Well, I can see that you are dressed for it. Think she’ll be impressed?”

“Impressed or not. What you see is what she’ll get.”

“Do you want some backup? I can follow along. I promise that I’ll keep my mouth shut.”

“Henry, you’re sweet for offering. But this meeting is more for information than anything else. We might find out what she’s up to. You being there will just shut her up.”

“April, I’m sure that you are more than capable of handling yourself. But my macho ego had to offer. Go ahead, go boldly into the lion’s den. I’ll be waiting.”

April leaned over and kissed me on the forehead. Then turned and, without another word, left the room.

When April came into Emily’s office, Jessica was seated at the receptionist’s desk. She rose smiling and greeted her. “Commander Sullivan, welcome to Ms. Johnson’s office. Please follow me. Emily is waiting for you.”

Jessica held the inner office door open and motioned April in. Emily was sitting at her desk, talking on her phone. She appeared to be speaking to an equipment supplier on Luna. “No Miquel, you quoted me a 10 million credit price. I am going to hold you to that amount. Anything more than that is theft. I’m sure that once you review our contract, you’ll make the right decision.” she then hung the phone up.

Standing, Emily came from behind the desk and held her hand out to April. With a slight delay, April grasped her hand and was surprised when Emily tried to squeeze her hand. “Ms. Sullivan, a pleasure to have you join me.” she looked slightly displeased when April didn’t flinch or try to squeeze back. They stared into each other’s eyes for a moment.

Breaking their handshake, Emily motioned April to a table set off to the side. “Please have a seat, Ms. Sullivan. I find it very important to keep to the social niceties, and afternoon tea is such a delightful way to refresh one’s self from the morning’s labors. I apologize for the conversation you heard. A scout supplier on Luna was trying to raise his quoted price. I had to remind him of our agreement.”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close