Outward Bound
Chapter 28

Copyright© 2020 by Mark Randall

The gangway to the Mars station wasn’t a physical gangway. It was impossible to have a physical connection between a ship as large as the Seward’s Folly and the station. The gangway actually was a series of docking ports where shuttles could connect with the station. It was used to transfer people and small cargo.

The trip from the Seward took about 45 minutes. During that time, Clyde Kennedy and his partners enjoyed themselves. Laughing and telling stories. After all, they were being set free. Free to return to their previous shady lives.

Their only complaint was that they were still in their prisoner robes and restrained. When they said something, it was explained that their property would be returned when they got to the station. Clyde told his friends to just let it slide rather than cause a disturbance and jeopardize their release.

After the shuttle docked, Marshall Barth and two of his officers, led the way through the airlock. There were two more security officers left on board the shuttle. Because there was little space in the airlock, Clyde and his friends would have to wait. When they were finally able to exit the airlock, they were met by a very large and powerful-looking man, dressed in red camouflage. A silver diamond on his collar points. A platoon of similarly dressed and armed troops surrounded the airlock hatch. Clyde was quickly grabbed and restrained.

Marshall Barth was standing next to the large man. Clyde started yelling, “What is this? You promised to let us go free. You lied to us.”

David was smiling, “Sorry Clyde, I promised you that we wouldn’t prosecute you. That you would be returned to the station unharmed. I have fulfilled that promise. This gentleman here,” David gestured to the man next to him, “Is Major Simpson of the Mars Confederation Rangers. When we contacted the Mars authorities about your identities, Major Simpson called and expressed a desire to meet you and your friends when you were returned to the station.”

The large man turned to David. “David, I want to thank you for my reunion with Mr. Kennedy.” he turned back to Clyde, “Good afternoon Clyde, remember me? It’s been a while since you left your accommodations dirtside. But not to worry. We kept your old room ready for you.”

As the Major was speaking Clyde, and his partners were being stripped and put into the restraint suits that the Mars Confederation was famous for. Neon green, heavy-duty canvas. There was some struggling that was quickly over once one of the prisoners was introduced to a shock baton.

Just before the hood was placed over Clyde’s head, the Major smiled at him. “We’ll be talking later, Clyde. I have a million questions for you and your friends. Just a friendly conversation, to get caught up on what you’ve been up to since we last talked.”

Once the three were secured, Major Simpson nodded to his Captain. With that, the prisoners were taken away more accurately dragged away. The crowd that had gathered on the edges quickly gave way. The Rangers had a reputation, and with this many of them in one place at the same time, they demanded respect caution, and not a little fear. The Major turned to David and shook his hand. “Thanks, David. We’ve been looking for that mutt for quite a while.”

“You’re welcome, Steve. Why don’t you and Dezzie come over for dinner? We set a pretty good table.”

“Sounds like a date David. I’ll check my calendar, and Dezzie, and let you know.”

With his hands behind his back, the Major strolled off, following his troops and the prisoners.

David turned to his security team. “Gentlemen, I have a thirst coming on. How about I treat you to a beer or two. I know this pleasant little beirhaus not far from here. They brew an excellent stout.”

There was a general agreement, and they walked off in the opposite direction.

The days after Emily’s trial passed slowly. At first, she screamed, demanded better food, a better cell, better clothes. All of these demands were ignored. The guard just stared at her. Eventually, Emily gave up.

After what seemed like years to Emily, the daily routine or lack of a routine changed. Emily received a visitor.

As Agnes came down the corridor, she greeted the guard. “Good morning Monica, you can take a break now. I need a moment with Emily.”

The guard, Monica, was embarrassed and concerned. This wasn’t covered in her rule book. The book specifically said no visitors. But this was grandmother Seward. If anyone on the Folly could ignore the book, it was her. Finally, Monica came to a decision. “Yes Ma’am. Just don’t step on the red deck. If you do, alarms will sound, and the brig will go into lockdown.” the red deck was a red-colored pressure-sensitive area extending four feet in front of and to the cell door’s sides.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close