Gabatrix: the Violet Wave - Cover

Gabatrix: the Violet Wave

Copyright© 2020 by CMed TheUniverseofCMed

Chapter 11: May 14th, 2350

It was a grueling two days. Two days of being held prisoner and two days being tested by every psychologist out there. Javier had had enough. He was tired of being tested to see if he had post-traumatic stress disorder or being checked to see if he was being manipulated or even if he was drugged. All the tests proved negative.

All except for one thing. Javier was still rattled after the recent events. Nightmares and pleasant dreams would be constant as he was held in the Martian hospitals. It was as if it was another prison sentence in itself.

It was as if heaven and hell were fighting in Javier’s brain. Surprisingly, one thing did stick out in his mind and it was what had been so agonizing for him. Where was Shira?

Only one doctor had an exact answer. Shira was being held in prison pending trial. There was no further information that was given to him. He couldn’t persist too much as he knew that it might prolong his suffering and condition more.

The adjustment to being on the bed in the Martian hospitals was a unique one. The gravity was less than Aphadus being quarter less than now. Even the Shal’rein ship managed to generate a good state of gravity by centripetal force. Whenever he walked, it felt like he could jump higher than anybody.

For the most part, Javier was truly at peace with himself. The relief of being home, even if it wasn’t Aphadus, was still monumental.

Finally, on May 14th, the news was given to him. He was summoned to serve as a witness to a trial or hearing that was going to take place ... a military trial. The two days were used wisely, even his dirtied up uniform was cleaned up and given to him. It was optional, of course, if he wanted to be on this trial, but he didn’t want to miss it. He knew the importance he would have to play in it. He felt fine and demanded to serve as a witness. The hospitals and the chain of command agreed to let him show up.

He stood in his uniform in a prim and proper state as he looked at the large doors ahead of him. Javier was to serve as a witness for the military trial of Lesser Adjunct Shira. Her life was on the line, and anything could happen to her. Even serving as a witness he may very well tip the scales on what her fate would be.

A part of him longed to see her again. The memory of the last several days and of her was in his very soul. He would get to see her again.

He felt nervous and scared. It would be a military-style tribunal. Typically, such trials were rare. It had seemed that numerous admirals would serve as the judges. Even Javier knew that the big brass was going to decide on what was going to happen to her.

He gripped his hand as he looked at it. He stood in a passageway underground in the canyons of Mars. The artificial lights and atmosphere were unique. Shades of blue and red covered the passageway alone. The symbolic colors of the UHN were everywhere.

He could see the sheer importance of this room alone. It was a red carpet combined with the UHN emblem seal. Rumors were always told that to step on the seal was to bring bad luck to you or warrant the anger of the admirals. The sliding doors appeared to be made of thick opaque glass. He could barely see what was inside as his mind tried to put it all together.

It was quiet where he was. All personnel except the summoned were told to vacate the grand stateroom of the highest officials of the UHN. If you were brought here, then you did something monumentally good or bad. Usually, it served as a trial room, but it had its other uses as well.

It was so quiet that the tiniest of footsteps on the carpet could be heard. Javier, on the one hand, was ready to face the series of events, but he felt fear towards other things. On the other hand, he felt ready to walk into the room.

“Ugh ... I have been here for two minutes, and it felt like it was twenty,” Javier quietly commented.

He turned his head to see what appeared to be a Yutilian. She seemed to be young and wore white, red, and green for a dress. She had blue and green scales that glimmered from the overhead lights. She had long green and yellow feathers that protruded from her head. She almost walked past Javier, but she paused in her walk. Her clawed feet gripped the carpet as her feathery like tail swung back and forth. She tilted her head up towards him.

“Excuse me ... umm,” she seemed to ask him. “Is this the trial room?”

“Yes,” Javier replied to her. “I guess this is your first time here?”

She did a series of quick nods. Javier could recognize that familiar Spanish, French, and Japanese accent that slurred and flowed in her words. The unique accent of the Itreans seemed to follow no rules with the language being complex as it was.

She turned her head as she seemed to grip her four-digit clawed fingers. She even paced a little bit as she got near the doors.

“You seem nervous...” Javier remarked to her.

“Yes, I am,” she replied. “Not used to working with human beings.”

Javier tried to think of something. “I am going to do the best I can to say it. I know the Itrean language isn’t easy. I know to say it slightly off is to warrant a word of anger or to curse in foul language. It isn’t my intention to bring malice by saying it.”

“What is it?” she asked.

“Hajl,” he said to the best of his abilities.

She seemed to close her eyes and cringe as her teeth seemed to indicate it. “You were trying to say ‘hello’ to me. I know you were trying your best.”

“I guess I still got the tone off.”

“It is alright. We don’t give humans the chance to learn our language, and it might be a mistake that we don’t. You were trying, and that was all that matters.”

“What would Ha...” he paused, almost making the mistake of repeating it. “I mean ... how would you pronounce it?”

“Ha ... jil ... but make sure that you add a slight upper tonal change to the jil before the word finishes it. Otherwise, it sounds like what you said. Your intentions were good, but the results still sounded like you wanted to...”

She paused with nervousness. Javier got the point.

“It is amazing. It almost sounded the same way as you said it.”

“It is why I like English and even Chinese. So easy...” she said as she made a series of chirps.

“What are you here for?” Javier asked.

“Hmmm ... I am here to represent former Lesser Adjunct Shira and her trial. I am her ... defense attorney? No ... that isn’t the word. Advisor? No ... still wrong. I am here to stand with the judges.”

“I think you are right with advisor. The T’rintar clan must have sent you here to help with the trial.”

“Yes,” she replied with a quick nod and grin. “Ambassador Ifra sent me herself to help out with it.”

“Really?” Javier remarked. “Did you know that I was the one that gave her a historical biography of Gabatrix?”

She backed up a little bit as her feathers opened up in surprise. “That was you! Ifra was showing that to us. I remember her mentioning a Javier, but I didn’t think of it till you said it. I guess ... my nervousness. Sorry...”

“It’s alright. I am glad that I have a fan.”

She put her finger to her chin. “Oh ... you mean a person who likes another person’s work. Yes, I suppose I do.”

Her feathers seemed to relax and close back a little bit as she turned her body back to the door. Javier felt some amusement at watching her seem anxious.

“I wouldn’t worry about it,” Javier commented. “It is just a trial.”

“Ifra wanted me to be ... impartial. I have to be ... aggressive. I will do my best.”

“Why aggressive? Just be yourself.”

She seemed to think about it. “I will do my best. My name is Li’lo.”

“Nice to meet you Li’lo.”

“So Ifra is going to be a mother. I can imagine how you T’rintar are feeling about that.”

She seemed to put her hands around herself. “I can’t wait to have a mate of my own. I can have as many kids as I want. Ummm ... Javier?”

Javier gave her a questioning look. “What?”

“Do you need a mate?”

Javier almost smacked his head to hear her say that. It was just so out of the blue. He had to tell her the truth.

“Actually... , “ he told her. “I already have a mate. She is ... the one on trial.”

“The Shal’rein ... I can understand. She is very pretty. She seems to be in pain, but she tries to hold it back so much. It is hard to read her.”

“You have seen her?”

“Yes, I spoke to her before this was to commence. I think she will be fine. Her requests though ... they puzzle me.”

“What do you mean?” he asked.

“She can have a hearing by the UHN or the T’rintar clan. She can choose which one but she wants the UHN. I am essentially just a ... figurehead.”

“Wouldn’t a T’rintar clan trial be ... friendlier?”

“We get defectors from the Shal’rein and the Aksren. She would have been released into our custody, and we would take her with us back to the T’rintar clan worlds. Our doors are more open, but with the humans ... I don’t know how they will treat her.”

Javier seemed to be in deep thought. It was puzzling to hear her mention that.

“I don’t know what to say of that too.”

“I know that you were her prisoner too. I asked her about you, but...”

She turned around as Javier could see some individuals approaching. “I should go ahead and head into the room. I just wish my friend was here to see me do this.”

“I wish you luck.”

“Thank you.” She stepped forward as one her forward claws snagged a part of the red carpet. It caused her to tumble forward and crash to the floor.

“Oh ... oh,” Javier replied as he ran up to her. She put her clawed hands to the carpets and pushed herself up. He gave her a helping hand. “Are you alright?”

“I am alright. Usually, my friend catches me when this happens. Thank you, Javier.”

She let go of his hand as she stepped up to the door. It slid open as she walked in. Javier could see her wiggle her butt a little bit as she patted herself down. Her tail swung hard as the door slid closed.

“Damn...” Javier quietly remarked. “Too bad I am already taken.”

He turned his head as he looked at the massive panel windows that showed the outside of Mars. The great canyon cities were like a myriad of underground tunnels. It became the prime real estate of multiple floors that worked its way up. The city was like a path of lights that traveled from left to right. It had an absolute beauty to it that he never saw before. Mars was never considered the best place to be. Outside the great windows was death. The radiation levels, frequent dust storms, and lack of oxygen made it impossible to operate without special suits. With all that said, however, there was an attempt to remedy this. Javier could see vents that would spew CO2 up into the atmosphere. The terraforming project was in effect, but it would take time. By introducing more CO2 into the atmosphere, a greenhouse effect could be made. What became a disaster on Earth by infusing more CO2 into the air was pivotal for possible life to develop on Mars. This process had started over a hundred years, but it is having an effect.

It still had its appeal, though. In the distance, spaceports were active as freighters and transports departed to head up to the gate array in orbit. He could even see the ships as they flew up into the sky. There was also a Martian blue sky that he never saw before. Mars itself still had an atmosphere even if it was far less than former Earth. Consisting of carbon dioxide and dust particles, the blue was an indication of a sunset or sunrise.

It was both beautiful and a reminder of the time it was. It was later that afternoon. Usually, admirals on planetary duties hated being at work this far in the day. It wouldn’t help in the case even if they were impartial. There must have been a reason for this trial to occur at this time.

He turned his head towards the individuals that were walking down the long pathway to the door. He could already see it was Shira. He felt a sense of relief upon seeing her again, but the situation was different. She was dressed in red and orange coveralls. This was an indication of her wearing a prisoner’s uniform. How they managed to get coveralls for her size though remained a mystery for him.

Shira was walking in handcuffs. Escorted by two marines in power armor, she was in no position to offer any resistance. She approached the door as Javier had a chance to see her again.

Javier smiled as he saw once again, even with the situation going on. Her one eye turned to look at her as she gave a brief smile to him.

This was not the time to say hello or engage in small talk. It was time for him to head into the trial room. He turned to the door and walked up to it. It slid open as he walked in before Shira and the guards.

Inside the trial room, he stepped up as saw a large podium that consisted of three main seats. It was designed to slightly envelop the center of the room that included a single table and multiple lower chairs that linked up to the central podium itself.

The room had an ample white light that poured down and illuminated everything inside. The background walls showed the numerous flags of the UWA colonies and worlds with Mars in the top center. It had an awe-inspiring look to the place.

Javier could see three high ranking officials. All of them were admiral or above. He hadn’t enough time to look at all of them as he rendered a salute to them.

“Ensign Javier, reporting as a witness for the trial of Lesser Adjunct Shira.”

The center admiral saluted back from her seat. Javier barely recognized who this was. She had a pale complexion to her and had the twin star emblem rank ... the highest rank available. She was an older woman, much like most female admirals. Her blond hair was only a minor indication.

The next admiral on her right or Javier’s left was an older man that also had a pale complexion. He was completely bald and had a one star. He didn’t know who this admiral was by appearance alone.

The admiral sitting to his left was one he immediately recognized. It was Admiral Anaya. She was apparently fine after the battle and even gave a slight nod to Javier as he dropped his salute.

“Ensign,” the center fleet admiral responded in a Russian accent. “Go and have a seat here,” she said as she gestured the row of seats near the podium.

“Aye, Fleet Admiral,” he responded as he approached his seat. He could see Li’lo sitting in one of the chairs in the center of the room.

The other chair was large that was positioned by Li’lo. It was evident that this seat was meant for Shira. Javier went and had a seat at his intended position being able to see the admirals and the center table adequately.

The door was still open as Javier could see Shira being escorted in. The marines stood back and kept their rifles shouldered. They held a position past the doors as it closed. Shira, with her handcuffs still on, went and had a seat in the center by Li’lo.

“Alright...” The center fleet admiral addressed everyone. “We stand here today to go through the tribunal hearing of Lesser Adjunct Shira. My name is Fleet Admiral Annika. I will be one of the three judges to determine of Shira and what is to be done with her and the group of defectors of the Shal’rein clan. On my right is Admiral Simmons, and on my left is Admiral Anaya.”

Javier was in thought. It was Annika, as in Fleet Admiral Karina Annika. He recognized who she was now. Karina Annika was a spokeswoman for the UHN. He didn’t know much about her, but she often showed her face on media to point out the various actions by the UHN for the press. He didn’t know what to make of her, though. Admiral Simmons, however, he only heard from one individual. Simmons supposedly got in trouble with the events leading to the return of the crew of the UHN Gabatrix when they tried to return home several months ago. The Lee Administration gave him a slap on the wrist, but he was still supposedly the same as before. Anaya, on the other hand, he felt familiar with. This situation, however, would be difficult, as each admiral represented a different challenge in mindset.

“Due to the current situation given to us,” Annika explained. “We have to deal with every defection under unique circumstances. As the leadership of the UHN, it is our goal to come up with a reasonable and fair decision to deal with the events that occurred four days ago. The planet Aphadus was attacked by a Shal’rein clan fleet resulting in the deaths of 117 UHN personnel and civilians. Five T’rintar clan members and representatives were also killed as a result. After the assault, one of the leaders had defected and has surrendered herself, along with over three hundred crew members and soldiers that attacked the base on Aphadus. Our goal here is to determine what is to be done with them. As you know, the military trial based system is one of flexibility. We operate under the military code of conduct, but we also have the right to make our own decisions, especially in regard to this trial and hearing. Lesser Adjunct Shira, our goal is to ensure you receive a fair hearing under UWA and UHN law. We have reviewed the written words that you have given us, what Admiral Anaya has provided to us, and the words written by Ensign Javier. You still have the ability to be transferred to the T’rintar clan in regard to this hearing. Do you still wish to undergo this with us?”

“I do,” Shira replied calmly.

“Very well. Shira, the reason we are convened is something that is not normally committed. Defections have been on the rise since the discovery of Earth being the origin of the Itrean people. A few Shal’rein clan and Aksren clan members have left their posts to go to the T’rintar clan. Often the UWA is the bridge to allow this event to transpire. Each time this happens, we have to determine if the Itrean or Itreans is true to their word. Usually, we hand them over to the T’rintar clan because that is there wish. Normally the hearings consist of a single lower-ranking official that will determine if the Itrean or Itreans should be given asylum and be able to operate freely in UWA territory. In this situation, we require three admirals because of who you are and what you did.”

Annika folded up her hands as she leaned on her podium. “Shira, you were a member of the Shal’rein clan. You are considered a fleet planner and strategist. According to the T’rintar clan, and I apologize in advance for possibly saying this incorrectly, they called you ‘Likop’hol’ or the ‘Death Strategist.’ Your mother is also highly regarded and was responsible for leaving and joining the clan quite recently. We are presented with a rather tricky dilemma. On one hand, it is easy to pass you on to the T’rintar clan, but you wish to be trialed by us. We cannot guarantee that you will receive any fairer trial than the T’rintar clan. Can you briefly answer why you believe we should do this?”

“My actions were against the UHN and the UWA,” Shira responded. “Honor requires that I face my former enemies and face judgment. Even if the T’rintar clan allows me to operate freely, my enemies may never forgive me.”

“And as far as I see, I don’t see it happening,” Admiral Simmons jumped in. “You lured our defense fleet away and attacked us. You murdered soldiers, personnel, and innocent civilians. You freely admit to killing those people.”

Annika held up her hand to Simmons to pause him. “Before we continue,” she explained. “We need to inform you of your defensive rights. Li’lo is your selected advisor. Li’lo,” she addressed her. “Due to the nature of this hearing and circumstances, we wanted to ensure that the T’rintar clan under the faith of the alliance receives a part of this hearing. Understand that in this tribunal, you are treated as an advisor. You may provide defense for Shira, but we determine the final verdict for her and any punishment to be given. Is that understood?”

“I do,” Li’lo replied, almost nervously.

“First,” Annika explained. “We cover the events. Upon reviewing the attack, we are left with questions to ask of you. According to your words, the attack on Aphadus was executed perfectly. The end result involved luring the defense fleet away, bombarding Aphadus, and then deploying troops in hopes of capturing humans for viral experimentation. The end result was the kidnapping of one of our personnel ... Ensign Javier.”

“We are left with questions,” Simmon said with aggravation in his voice. “Your attempt to capture a human would eventually bring you right back to UWA controlled space. Why? You commit to such actions, and yet you simply return the Ensign. If your goal was to ultimately return him, why commit to attacking Aphadus in the first place?”

“Admiral Simmons,” Shira asked him. “Let us answer your question with another question. What becomes rare when a war occurs?”

“Ugh...” Simmons waved his hand at her. “I am not here to answer your questions, besides ... how would I trust you that I made the correct answer. We are not here to...”

“Precisely my point, Admiral,” Shira interrupted him. “In times of war, lies become more preferred than the truth. You can’t trust me, and I can’t trust you. Three days ago, I was your enemy. Before that, I was still your enemy and before that...”

Simmons seemed to bite his tongue. He looked at the other admirals as they briefly looked at him. Javier noted that Shira had already taken her first bite.

“According to the report you gave us,” Annika explained. “You needed to capture humans so they could be researched into bioweapons. It was your goal also to research the truth of the discovery of T’rintar clan fertility with human beings. It is noted.”

“We also note that you intended to originally carry out with the first mission,” Simmons prodded. “What do you have to explain for yourself?”

“Wouldn’t you, Admiral? If the roles were reversed and you could develop a weapon from me to harm my people, would you do it?”

Simmons pointed his finger at her. “The UHN does not abide by that policy. We would never develop dangerous diseases that result in...”

“I was not asking what the UHN thinks but what you think. Think about it, Admiral. If you could drop a bomb onto a city that could wipe out an entire population without destroying the structures or even in defense of saving the human race, would you do it?”

“Ugh...” Simmons refused to answer the question.

Javier held back a snicker. He was beginning to see where the path of the discussion was going.

Annika held out her hand to pause the discussion. “According to your report, you only decided to rebel against your clan when the evidence was proven true. This has been noted in the hearing.”

Shira remained quiet as her eye seemed focused at the center podium. Her gaze looked like she could burn a hole in it that Javier noted. She displayed no annoyance or aggravation.

“Shira,” Admiral Anaya called out to her. “Do you regret your actions in attacking Aphadus?”

Shira seemed to look down for a moment, and then she looked directly at her. “No. My goal was accomplished.”

“Accomplished?” Simmons spat out. “You resulted in the deaths of 117 people!”

“Admiral,” Shira replied to him in her neutral tone. “Without me, there would be far higher casualties. If you had a chance to read what I put out, then you have no need to be angry.” She turned her head to another podium. “Isn’t that right, Admiral Anaya?”

Javier could see that Shira was looking directly at her. Anaya seemed surprised to see her intensity.

“I think we both know the situation that was at hand. One Lesser Adjunct to another Lesser Adjunct. One Admiral to another Admiral that was being held back from her promotion to that of a great leader to her home planet. It is the responsibility of all to achieve the highest rank possible even if they feel that they would not qualify. Push yourself to the highest peak and recognize your past mistakes to become your experiences. Admiral Anaya, I have made your planet stronger against any future invasions.”

Javier watched as Anaya’s mouth opened up. He knew that Shira was right, and he had heard the word yesterday at the hospital. Fleet Admiral Gray was stepping down and retiring after the Battle of Aphadus. Anaya was going to be made the new Fleet Admiral taking over the defenses for any possible future assault.

Anaya herself seemed to look away for a moment as the other admirals questioned Shira.

“Of course,” Shira remarked. “It should be Li’lo that should question how this hearing is being conducted. As much as I would congratulate Admiral Anaya, there is the issue of having a direct witness as one of the judges for my trial.”

“Yes,” Li’lo jumped in. “This brings a ... problem to the trial. You have made a person that went through the attack on Aphadus as a person who will determine Shira’s guilt.”

Javier could clearly see that Li’lo was not precisely prime for this job. He could understand the situation, and it seemed that she was more a rookie than anything else.

“While that may be true, Lesser Adjunct,” Annika commented. “This hearing requires three judges to be present. Understand that we can adjust the rules a little bit according to meet the demands of the scenario. We choose Anaya to be present for this meeting purposely because she experienced the events.”

“Besides...” Anaya added. “I ... partially agree with the events that happened. I would like to also note in this hearing that Shira had delivered the body of the Adjunct that she was following under.”

“Yes ... you killed your own Adjunct,” Simmons jumped in. “Yes, I did read the report you wrote, Shira. You purposely felt that she would hamper the effects of getting the Garja back home. How do we know she isn’t some nobody that you killed just to make you look good?”

Shira’s eye focused on him hard. “There isn’t. Evidence can be forged. It is possible that my warriors or I simply faked the data of our computers to make her look official. Perhaps I gave her a uniform to make her look like a higher rank and then killed her. Yes, Admiral, subterfuge can make you win a battle or a war. Solid brute force is not always the answer to victory. However...” Shira turned her head to look at Li’lo. Her gaze focused on her as she seemed to get nervous.

“Ummm ... yes!” Li’lo almost squeaked. “We can support Shira in her defense. The T’rintar clan has data to back up that Delajar is indeed an Adjunct among the Shal’rein clan. We can identify her body properly from spy reports and acquired data.”

Javier nodded. Shira had proven a valuable point or ... at least, let Li’lo provide it. Javier put his hand to his bearded chin. He could see that Shira was brilliant. Every argument was simply turned back at them. But there was one problem. He could see that Simmons was getting angry even if it was mostly restrained. Anaya seemed like she was curious about the personality of Shira. Annika, on the other hand, seemed to be the true center.

“Shira,” Annika commented. “Our questions all come down to one thing. We need to know if you are a spy. Each hearing that we do is all determined to evaluate that very thing. Each Itrean that defects may just be another infiltrator to gather intel on us. Understand this.”

“I do understand, Fleet Admiral. As I said, trust is hard to gain in war. Skepticism should be our shield as trust is gained much later.”

“Javier, Ensign Javier,” Simmons called out to him. “This hearing is to determine if Shira is to be held in prison for her crimes. Let me remind everyone on that,” he said as he had a stern look on his face. “This woman has just recently attacked a world in which the Adjunct that was oh so kindly silenced, followed. Yes, Shira killed her, but in the end, she is the mastermind to all of this.” Simmons turned to look at Javier. “Javier, Ensign Javier. You were her prisoner. She attacked the unit that you were in. We have reports that one of the Shal’rein under her command assaulted you. The result of that was that she did nothing to stop it or reprimand her for her deed. What are your thoughts on her?”

Javier thought about it. “I remember the battle ... I don’t think I will ever forget it.” He breathed a little bit hard. “The soldiers ... acted as they would in a battle. Both of us were soldiers ... we were just following orders. Both sides and all races. I ... believe that Shira tried to look out for me. It is true that she did not reprimand the Shal’rein that assaulted me, but ... she helped me through the worst of it.”

“Are you sure that you are not just having Stockholm Syndrome? You were on her ship for two days.”

“I don’t think so, Admiral. I had a chance to see the Shal’rein clan for who they really were. I think in many ways, they were just like us but just driven mad by the constant war. Ego, glory, and self-interest but ... it is no different than us either. Without Shira, I think I would be very much dead being dissected on someone’s table. It would be an unglorified death as I would remember myself being tested to turn into a bomb to kill more of my people. I don’t think there would be any greater horror than that Admiral. Shira pulled me out of that. She had to sacrifice a lot.”

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close