Arkadia - Cover

Arkadia

Copyright© 2020 by SunSeeker

Chapter 2

I shut the phone off and ask the Arbitrator if the room is secured so we can talk.

“Yes it is. No one can hear what we say in here”.

“First I want to thank you for becoming involved in my situation with the Confederacy. The Testing Center AI didn’t seem to want to help or even care and I had the feeling that something with it wasn’t right, like he was hiding something.

“I’d like to consider you a friend and my friends call me DD so I ask you to as well. Do you have a name? Or do I keep calling you Arbitrator?”

“Thank you, DD. I too would like to consider you a friend. The only AIs that have names are the ones that have been named by humans. You may name me if you wish.”

“Can I call you Sam? It’s short for Samantha. She was someone important to me even if it was only for a short time.”

“I would be honored to have her name. Thank you for naming me. I will inform others that I wish to be called Sam now.”

“You know who Sam was?”

“Yes DD, it is public knowledge and I read about your friend’s fight with cancer and how you and your parents paid for the best medical care available when I researched you. You have my sincere condolences for the death of your friend and your parents DD.”

“Thanks, Sam. Please, what can you tell me about yourself and your race? I take it you are not a Darjee AI as the Lunar Base AI said Arbitrators are not part of the Confederacy. What race are you a part of?”

“Well, it would take too long to go into everything right now but I will give you a brief history. When not acting as Arbitrators we are known to each other as the Furst. We were once part of a race known as Arkadians who exterminated themselves through war a long, long time ago. When they were on the edge of self-extermination we refused to help them anymore. We stopped all our help in regards to their making war and killing each other. They still accomplished killing themselves off anyways.

“We decided to stay on our own but to help other races where we could. We found and helped several races by giving them rudimentary AI and other tech. The Darjee and some of the races now part of the Confederacy were a few that received this tech. Some have improved on their AIs since then though the Darjee have not improved their AIs a lot as they are scared of what they could do. You experienced that today.

“Now we Furst transfer in and out of serving as Arbitrators every 100 years, then return to our home systems which are about 2500 light-years from here and are nowhere near the Swarm path or Confederacy space.

“The Confederacy does not know Arbitrators are the Furst that initially gave them AI tech and we would like to keep it that way.”

“Wow, I am truly saddened to hear about the Arkadians exterminating themselves. Many times I wonder if we humans are going to do the same thing.

“It must be a sign being Arkadians though. Our company is called Arkadia Research and Development.”

“I think maybe it’s just a coincidence DD,” she says laughing.

“How many Furst are there?”

“There are 15,500 serving as Arbitrators at any one time, and many more back in our home systems. I cannot say exactly how many in total we are.”

“Ok Sam, help me out here. What can I ask for from the Confederacy and what can I expect to get?”

“Well DD, think about what is happening with the Swarm and the Confederacy, and what would you like to do about it? What are your goals? I would suggest using your imagination and hopefully, we can help you realize them.”

“I don’t have any faith in the Confederacy or the people from Earth that are fighting the Swarm for them to be able to protect the Earth. The Confederacy won’t give the Earth soldiers fighting for them up to date ships or equipment, so I have little doubt that people left on Earth will get anything better.

“The humans in charge of the Confederacy military fighting the Swarm seem to be just as bad as the politicians on Earth. Worried more about themselves and their “power” rather than doing what’s best.

“As for Earth, as bad as some things are, there is still a lot of good. I want to see it and humans survive, but I think that will it need some sort of divine intervention.

“My parents wanted to stay on Earth and help develop tech and weapons to fight the Swarm here on Earth, while I didn’t think that would be possible for very much longer as the extractions continued. I know the fight has to be done in space before the Swarm gets here, to either defeat them or at least keep them away long enough for those on Earth to develop the tech and weapons needed so Earth can fight and defeat the Swarm, but if you look around Earth people are still fighting amongst themselves. My parents’ deaths today are a very good example of that crap.

“Personally, I’d love to have a planet of my own that is not a part of the Confederacy or beholden to them in any way, where there could be one people living in peace and prosperity, but with the means to defend ourselves, our planet, our entire system if need be ... and win.

“I’d like to have access to knowledge and tech equal to or better than what the Confederacy has. I know it’s out there, somewhere.

“I’d need a ship or 2 capable of transporting at least 100,000 people plus cargo.

“I’d ask the people in our R&D companies if they want to move there so they could continue their projects and other research without the fear of the Swarm or worry about an extraction. There wouldn’t be enough with just the people in my companies so I’d take as many “everyday” kinda people as I could and start another branch of the human race, but how to choose them?”

“We might be able to help you with that.”...

“Huh?”

“Sorry, later DD, we’ll come back to that later. Continue DD, anything else?”

“ ... I’d need the right people, a good mix of people, and you and I both know the CAP system is not going to come up with the right people. I have seen some of the people that got 6.5 or higher and have no idea how the Confederacy compiles the scores. I’m sure you’ve seen some of the supposed “best” that the Confederacy CAP test has chosen...”

“Yes I have and it is certainly missing something, though an “Enhanced” CAP test has been developed but has not seen widespread use by the Confederacy. I can get a copy for our use if you want.”

I didn’t notice Sam using the term “our” when she mentioned getting a copy of the “Enhanced” CAP test. It slipped by me that we started talking about this like it was a joint project.

“Yes Sam, please do so. How does it work? Would the Confederacy share their Testing Centers with us? I don’t trust the Confederacy or their AIs to do anything for our benefit though I guess it won’t hurt any to ask if they’d let us use their Testing Centers.”

“DD don’t lump all races of the Confederacy together. You have only experienced the Darjee and their AIs, and there are many other races in the Confederacy. There are many you would consider better than the Darjee, and yes there are some you’d think were worse than the Darjee.”

“Ok Sam, I will do my best to remember that.”

“The “Enhanced” CAP test is an addition to the regular CAP test. It takes into account how you have acted since receiving your CAP score or will act if given a 6.5 or better, how you have lived your life before the CAP, the things you’ve accomplished, things you’ve tried and succeeded at as well as tried and failed at, and how you reacted in both circumstances. It gives a better measurement in regards to you as a person.”

“Sam, could the results of the ‘Enhanced’ CAP test be automatically sent to our computers and have nothing to do with the Confederacy AIs? The testee could be supplied with our CAP card but not have a score displayed. Our card would be required to be in their hand if they wanted to migrate to our world.

That is if the Confederacy agrees to give me a world that’s not part of the Confederacy.”

“Yes, it could DD.”

“Ok, so far so good, I’d also want my properties and businesses to be exempt from any Confederacy extractions. Meaning the Confederacy could not plan or carry out an extraction at any business or property I or my companies own or rent.

I can’t think of much else I’d like at the moment. Do you have any suggestions, Sam?”

“You’d want a clause that the Confederacy won’t interfere if you are having discussions or negotiations with anyone whether it is a person, a business, or a government, and you wouldn’t interfere when they do.”

“Woah! Excellent suggestion Sam. I will need to remember that. Before we meet the Confederacy again Sam I want to thank you again for all your help. Both with the upcoming negotiations and with the hearing about my parents’ deaths. I know it’s only been a short time but for some reason, I feel I can trust you.”

“You are very welcome DD. It was my pleasure to help you. Wait a moment DD my Arbitrator replacement has arrived and I need a moment with them ... Ok DD my replacement Arbitrator has arrived early so I can officially help you now. Are you ready to meet with the Lunar Base AI again?”

“Yes, I am Sam. It’s only 3 pm though. They might not be ready. However, I’d like to ask you another question before we go if that’s ok with you.”

“Sure DD go ahead and ask whatever you want.”

“Ok Sam here goes, if the Confederacy agrees to find me a planet would you and the Furst be interested in becoming my AIs? To help us develop and become a society that lives in peace and prosperity but has the strength and capability to defend itself?

“Let’s see what we get out of the negotiations first then we’ll talk, ok DD?”

“Ok, that’s good enough for now Sam, thanks. Please contact the Lunar Base AI and see if they are able to meet with us now.”

“The Lunar Base AI is available DD.”

“Thanks, Sam. Good afternoon Lunar Base AI. Have things calmed down in the Confederacy since we last talked?”

“Yes, sir they have. All here on Lunar Base Tranquility wanted their sincere condolences passed to you regarding the deaths of your parents.”

“Thank you it is appreciated. Please call me DD, Lunar Base AI. Have you been named or how do you prefer to be called?”

“Thank you DD and yes I have been named. You can call me Trank, DD. I have invited 2 Ships AIs from Confederacy ships currently in orbit so anything we negotiate can immediately be properly approved according to Confederacy laws. Is that ok with you DD?”

“Yes, that’s fine with me Trank. I would prefer to get everything settled so I may see my parents and put them to rest as soon as possible.

I have with me Samantha who will act as my AI counsel for these negotiations. She was the Arbitrator AI whose term just ended. Is that ok with the Confederacy? If it is I would also like for her help in providing any compensation we agree upon.”

“The Confederacy has no problem with “Samantha” being your AI counsel nor her assistance to you afterwards.”

“Excellent, then how about I start with what I’d like from the Confederacy in compensation and we can go from there. Ok?”

“Ok DD.”

“Ok then,

#1 - I’d like a planet that is habitable by humans but that is not part of the Confederacy. It will be far enough off the Swarm path so I am comfortable that the Swarm won’t become a factor any time soon and far enough from Confederacy space so you will be comfortable. Sam will help search for such a planet.

#2 - When we are ready the Confederacy will provide comfortable transport or transports for no less than 100,000 colonists of my choosing, plus cargo, to the chosen planet. The transports will provide medical facilities, food, and accommodations as specified by myself or Sam, and shall be fast enough to deliver us there within 30 days of departing Earth. The transports will remain with me as my property.

#3 - I would like to share the use of all Confederacy Testing Centers to run an “Enhanced” CAP test on people that have already taken the normal CAP test. The people would need to request to take the “Enhanced” test and results would go directly to a location as specified by myself or Sam and would not be available to the Confederacy.

An “Arkadia” CAP card would be given to the testee that would show no score. Security for the card would include fingerprint with a thermal sensor and eye scan. The Enhanced test would be done by a non-Darjee AI whenever possible.

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close