Arkadia
Chapter 11

Copyright© 2020 by SunSeeker

Back onboard the J&J we sit back and discuss how we thought things went with the press.

“Well, Sam, how do you think it went?”

“All in all I think it went as good as can be expected. You know they’ll bitch about not answering questions.”

“I agree with you on that Sam. I guess we’ll deal with that when it comes. What’s next?”

“Well, we need to go through the Earth/Arkadia comparisons to see exactly what is different, the same, and what is missing completely. Other than animals of course, which are non-existent on Arkadia at the moment. Let’s think about this a little more and see if we come up with anything else.”

“Sounds good but now I am starving!” I go over to Chef and get a mixed dish from Mongolian Grill to ease my hunger.

“Sam, do we have a Dining Room area on the J&J? Somewhere we could have guests for lunch or dinner? I don’t remember seeing one.”

“Yes, we do DD. There are a few. The closest one is a deck down and 1 section to the left from here. We can go see it if you want to?”

We took an “elevator” down a deck and made our way to the Dining Room. I call it an elevator even though it is an open circle about 2 meters in diameter with a handrail that pops up to around waist height. It will take you to any level you desire.

The Dining Room was nice and had several large tables and many smaller ones with comfortable looking chairs. There were 3 replicators evenly spaced apart along one wall and 1 other entry/exit.

“Were you thinking of having guests over for dinner DD?”

“I thought we might want to have Mark, Dean and his wife out here for lunch or dinner one day soon, and you just know we will get requests for visits and tours from politicians and especially the news media.

I would entertain having the politicians our here for a visit to placate them, but the news, no way Jose. We could have the androids out and about so they are seen and make the ship look less empty, even though I haven’t seen one yet.”

“That’s because they work mostly at night when you are asleep, and yes, we want to have Mark and Dean out here if you want them to consider going to Arkadia. And we DEFINITELY want to keep the politicians placated and from causing problems.”

“Exactly Sam. Hey, can we make an OFR (Orbital Factory sized Replicator) using our onboard Factory replicator? Or do we need to get it made at Arkadia and brought here?”

“It can be done. It would have to be made in sections onboard and then have androids connect them together in space and use a Gravity Anchor to keep it in place. The best place for one would be out by the asteroid fields and near the Byorn Ore Refinery Platform when it gets here. Are you thinking of using one to build items for trade with Earth?”

“You got it in one, Sam. Let’s head to the offices a little early tomorrow. I’d like to check in with Dean and also with Mark.”

“Fine by me DD. Whenever you want to go somewhere let me know.”

“Sam, a question just came to mind. Is there any way for me to get off this ship without you or another Furst transporting me off?”

“Other than with a FAC or shuttle you mean? Yes of course there is. There are Beam Transporters in many locations throughout the ship. You would need to have the destinations coordinates in the database but those are easy enough to get. You wouldn’t be able to return on your own though unless you had a Beam Transporter wherever you were. I can show you now if you want? There is a Beam transporter near here.”

“Ok let’s go give it a try.” We left my suite and Sam went onto the elevator. I stepped on with her and instead of pressing a Deck number she touches an area marked Transport and a new screen appeared with a list of locations and a photo beside the location. I saw my apartment was on the list, so was the office building, my suite onboard, and a few places I didn’t recognize.

“Is every place we’ve been on this list?”

“Not every place, just the safest ones where we would be least likely to be seen. And I added a few places I’ve been to before meeting you.

You saw when we got on I touched the screen marked Transport, now you would simply touch the picture beside your destination and you’d be transported there.

If you keep your apartment we could install a Beam Transporter in it and you could go back and forth whenever you wanted to. It is tamper-proof so there wouldn’t any real risk of “losing” one or an unauthorized person using it.”

I touched the picture of my apartment, saw the flash of light, and we were in my apartment. Awesome!

“This is great, Sam. Let’s hold off on installing one here for now. I don’t see the need for it right now. Take us back up to the ship and then I’m hitting the sack.”

Sam beams us back up to my suite and I do a check-in with my Commanders and head to bed. It’s been quite a day.

Man I used to think people waking up this chipper were on something, but it sure does feel great! I wonder what I’ll feel like when I get closer to the 3-month mark since getting the enhancements done. I can’t wait to get going!

I grab my usual DD coffee from Chef, check with my Commanders and there is nada new there. I ask Sam if she’s around and she appears in the chair opposite me. “Good morning Sam.”

“Good morning DD. What has you so chipper this morning?”

“I think it’s the enhancements because I feel great! I was just wondering what the DECO and CnC people might have thought about the news conference yesterday. Can you check with the Furst you put on them and get a report?

I’m off to the gym now but if you can tell me if there is any news before we head to the offices this morning I’d appreciate it.”

“Not a problem DD. I’ll give you a briefing over breakfast if one is required.”

“Excellent! And you and the girls are more than welcome to join me again Sam.” Hahaha.

Laughing Sam says, “You are feeling really good this morning.” I just smile and head to the gym.

30 minutes of cardio, 30 minutes of free weights and I’m in need of a shower. And I definitely need more weight plates!

It is great not having to shave anymore! I just realized I hadn’t had to shave since getting the enhancements done. Woohoo!

I hit Chef up for a Tim Horton’s 480ml French Vanilla again and check out the Bakery heading looking for ... there they are. 3 fresh honey glazed croissants. Going to get a sugar rush this morning! I take the coffee and croissants to the table as Sam takes a seat across from me. I look at her and smile, “lay it on me, Sam.”

“Well DD, the Furst we have keeping tabs on those pissed off people on the moon have found out a few things but believe there is still more to learn, and they haven’t identified all the players yet.”

“Ok keep going.”

“I think we may have found out the real reason why the CnC wanted to stay here so close to Earth. It seems the pissed off people on the moon belong to DECO, the Department of Evacuation and Colonial Operations. They are also not happy that the CnC was sent away.

It appears that a large number of people in the 2 groups have a belief that because their CAP scores are so high, that they are better than everyone else and should be in complete charge.

They have a plan that once they have enough ships and people under their control, they will denounce the Confederacy, kick them out of the solar system, and use the ships to take over the Earth. By force if necessary.

Our arrival has them very worried and thinking about moving their plans ahead and trying it now, but they can’t get hold of the CnC yet as it is still in transit to their new home.

And yesterday’s news conference really got to them. They wanted to immediately go to Earth, talk to the governments and have us jailed, or have them tell the Confederacy to tell us to leave Earth’s solar system, but Trank and the AIs are refusing to transport them to Earth anymore unless they have a legitimate reason for going.”

“Sam, we got to let Trank know about this. Do we have absolute, undeniable proof?”

“Yes, we do DD. We have video and audio recordings of them making the plans, saying which ships and ship Captains were under their control already and naming others that will support them, but we have no proof against the “others” that they named. Yet.”

“Ok Sam, can you securely contact Trank so that no one on his end can listen in or even knows about our contact with him?

“Yes, I can DD. Let me know when you want me to make contact.”

“Give me a minute to get some things straight in my mind ... Ok connect me to Trank please.”

“Good morning, DD. To what do I owe the pleasure of your call this morning? I caught your news conference with Capt. James yesterday. Good job, thank you.”

“Good morning Trank, thank you. I need to tell you something and I want you to know we are on a secure link and that no one can hear us or even knows we are in contact. I have some bad news to give you my friend.”

“Our links are all secure DD. Sam knows that.”

“I have to be extra sure Trank. We may have found out the real reason why the CnC wanted to stay here and were pissed about having to leave. We found out that many people in DECO and the CnC have a plan to renounce the Confederacy and then using their Confederacy ships, take over Earth.

We have undeniable proof against many and no proof against some others that have been named by the people caught plotting. Sam will pass you a copy of the proof we have so you can judge for yourself.”

“Yes, this is undeniable proof. Unfortunately, the upper echelon of the Earth contingent will either lose this

evidence or give them the equivalent of a slap on the wrist. They have been known to take care of their own.”

“Do you want me to take care of them for you? You can’t let this slide my friend and I WON’T let this slide. They are talking about forcibly taking over control of Earth.”

“No DD, this is not for you to take care of. We will have to think of something.”

“Trank, hang on a sec I have an idea. Can you program their nanites so the plotters will be loyal to the Confederacy?”

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close