A True History Book Two - Cover

A True History Book Two

Copyright© 2020 by StarFleet Carl

Chapter 26

I walked over to our cart with Chuck, loading my clubs. We were almost like Jennifer’s group, with it easy for us to get to our tee box. Once we were there, we simply had to wait for five minutes, while the groups that were teeing off on 5 and 8 made it to their tees. I sat in the cart with Chuck for most of that time.

“I saw George give all of you firearms before we loaded.”

With no one around, Chuck quietly said, “Yeah. We’re off site. It’s probably not needed. But you know the response to that.”

“Exactly. How much did you bet with Hannah’s guard?”

“Actually, two things. First, just a thousand, straight up, that you destroy Salah. And second, if the shit hits the fan today for some reason, he and I work together. Up to and including against Salah, if needed.”

“You think it could be that bad?”

“I just hope not.”

The course people came over. “Folks, we’re just about ready. Honors on the first hole will be in the order in which your name was drawn, so Miss Rothschild first, Mister Al Rajhi, second, Mister Lewis third, and the Baron last. Which tees will you use? Remember, whatever tee you use now, is the same you’ll use for all eighteen holes.”

The other three didn’t speak, they all looked at me. I just said, “We’re parked back here for a reason. I’m using the blacks, of course.”

Salah smirked, then said, “I do not believe you are that good. I know that I am not. While I would like to win the tournament, I believe it will be more ... enjoyable ... to defeat you, while showing how scrupulously fair I truly am. I shall also play from the blacks.”

Hannah just looked at him, then snorted. “Boys! I’m off the reds.”

The Baron chuckled. “I no longer suffer from the anxiety of youth. I believe I’m the oldest one of our group, and well beyond forty years old, so I shall play the whites.”

Both of the attendants wrote that down on their cards. “Very good. Miss Rothschild, you have the honors. This is a par 5, between 411 yards for you, to 545 yards for these two gentlemen. Ma’am?”

Hannah took a couple of practice swings, then put her first shot just a shade over 200 yards out, right down the middle. I stood quietly to the side while Salah took a couple of practice swings with his driver, then a couple more. He hit a booming shot off the tee that went a good 280, to the left side of the fairway. I walked up, put my tee in the ground, set my ball on it, lined up, and swung.

From at least four different mouths, I heard the exact same words. “Holy shit!”

The ball rolled about another 20 yards beyond the 400 it had traveled in the air.

The Baron and Hannah both politely applauded. “I believe the expression is, ‘drive for show, putt for dough.’ Let us see how we do when we’re all on the green,” he said. Then he ripped out nearly a 300 yard drive. Putting his club back in his bag, he said, “I may have played a round or two in my life.”

Salah was furthest out. He got out a fairway wood, and showed he knew how to use it, getting another 240 out of it, so he was 25 yards short of the green. Hannah used her 3 wood, putting her ball about five yards closer than Salah. The Baron used an iron to easily make the 175 yards to the green, leaving himself about a 20 foot putt. I had a 150 yard shot, and dropped it down perfectly, 4 feet from the hole.

Salah and Hannah both got onto the green with their next shots, and closer to the pin than the Baron. He took several different looks, then putted. His ball ended up lipping the cup, but not falling in. He tapped it in for a birdie, looking disgusted with himself. Salah was next, and he showed he did know what he was doing, getting a birdie as well. Hannah killed her bird next. My eagle shot went in like it had eyes.

We all loaded up and went to the next tee area.

“Folks, this is number 11. As you can see, there is a bit of a water hazard to the right and in front of the green. It’s 450 from the blacks, 346 from the whites, and 260 from the reds. Mister Lewis has honors, then Miss Rothschild, Mister Salah, and the Baron.”

When I hit my shot, I heard a lot of breaths being taken in. It landed exactly where I wanted it, just beyond the water, in the rough, so that it bounced onto the green. It rolled a little more than I wanted, because it left me a 20 foot putt. The folks getting ready to tee off on 5 saw it land, and were looking back at us. When they realized that was a tee shot, and not a second shot, they gave me a polite round of applause.

Hannah was consistent, leaving herself an easy chip over the water to the green. Salah gave it his all, but he was going to have a 150 yard chip, while the Baron ended up within five feet of Hannah.

I think my ball, laying one, infuriated Salah. He used too much club, and put it in the bunker behind the green with his second shot. Hannah and the Baron put their shots safely on the green, both a little closer than mine. Salah used his wedge and got out of the sand, but muffed it, so he was barely on the green. He ended up two putting, for bogey. I sank my eagle, the Baron got a birdie, and Hannah two putted for par.

“Mister Lewis is four under, the Baron is two under, Miss Rothschild is one under, and Mister Al Rajhi is at par. Number 12 is a straightforward hole, but it has a very small green, with a bunker in front of it. 477, 327, and 293.”

It was fairly straightforward. I slacked off a little on this one, getting a birdie, which everyone else did, too. Chuck murmured to me, “What was that all about?”

“Watch and learn, here on 13. I’ve looked at the map on the scorecard.”

The attendant said, “With lucky 13, the water in front of us is really not an issue. However, this has a smaller green than twelve, and as you can see, any straight line shot will end up in a bunker. It is a very narrow fairway, with a bit of trees on the right. Please be aware that any balls in the trees may or may not be playable, due to ground and wildlife hazards. Order is the same as last hole.”

I lined up. “Let’s see. Trees are right there. That means I need a decent little hook shot here. What do you think, Hannah?”

She frowned. “I don’t know. What are you planning on doing?”

“This.”

I swung, with the ball looking like it was going straight for the trees. The spin started biting, with it hooking left. It barely cleared the last tree coming down, hit the fairway just left of the first bunker, hopped up onto the green and rolled straight to the flag, then dropped right into the cup.

One of the attendants hopped onto his cart and drove up to the green. He stepped onto the green, leaned over the hole, and nodded. Over the walkie-talkie, he said, “Lewis, with an ace on 13. Please drive to the green to retrieve your ball.”

From the walkie-talkie, a different voice said, “Please repeat that. Did you just say that one of your foursome scored an ace?”

“Correct, Sir. Mister Lewis, on 13.”

“Thank you. Resume play.”

Chuck and I drove to the green, so the attendant could see me remove the ball from the cup and verify that it was the same ball I’d been using so far. Then we all got off the green, driving around to the tee for 14, literally right across the cart path from the green for 13. The Baron and Hannah were clearly shaken, taking safe shots that left them on the fairway, well short of any of the bunker hazards. My psychology worked. Salah tried the same thing I’d done. But he didn’t get enough loft. His ball came down in the trees, and then in the palmetto scrub under them.

The two attendants, Salah, and I, all walked over to the area. His ball was easily visible in the brush, at least giving him a clear swing. He started to walk over to it when we all heard a rattling noise. He froze, instantly.

One of the attendants said, “Mister Al Rajhi, slowly begin backing away.” About that time, the rattlesnake that was pissed off because he’d been sunning in the bushes and gotten hit by a golf ball slithered into view. Salah froze in terror at the sight.

“Sir, step back, please. You’ll be able to take a free relief shot due to rule 16.2, a dangerous animal condition. But please, step back.”

I looked at them. Salah’s guard was slowly walking up behind him, to avoid scaring the snake. I said, “Salah, the thing is ten feet from you. It’s only five feet long, so the most it can snap is two and a half feet. I know it’s only a foot from your ball, so I’ll move the snake for you. That’ll take care of the hazard, so you can go ahead and take your shot, and not be in violation of the rules.”

Chuck just sighed, and leaned back against the cart. I walked closer to the snake, crouched down when I was about four feet from it, then started waving my left hand, to get it’s attention. I did the same thing here as when I was in California, and when the snake struck at me, I grabbed it behind the head with my right hand.

“Okay, you’re all clear. He can’t hurt you.” I just held him out. “See, he’s not even quite five feet long.” I started walking over to the attendants, who were standing in shock. “What’s the law here in Florida? In California, rattlesnakes aren’t protected because they’re dangerous.” The snake was whipping its body around, trying to get loose, and failing.

“Sir ... Mister Lewis ... you caught the snake?”

By now, the Baron and Hannah had walked over to see what was causing the delay.

“My word, is that a rattlesnake?” the Baron asked.

“Yeah, he’s not quite five feet long. It was in the way, so Salah couldn’t get to his ball. Chuck, go ahead and get the money bag. We’ll just put him in there until we get done with the course.”

“Of course, Mister Lewis.” Chuck went around to my golf bag, opened it, then took the money bag out and unzipped it. I stuck the snake in there, then quickly pulled my hand out while zipping it back up with my other hand. The angry sound of his rattles continued, but was muted when I stuck that bag back into my golf bag.

Hannah’s eyes were wide. “That was a poisonous rattlesnake! How did you catch it like that? Are you nuts?”

“Chuck, was I in any danger?”

“No, Sir. Miss Rothschild, a rattlesnake can strike only half the length of its body; so, in this case, about two and a half feet. They strike at a speed of about ten feet per second. Mister Lewis has the reaction time and speed to move closer to forty feet per second. The snake had to travel two feet, his hand only had to move one. Simple hand-eye coordination is all. Certainly not the first time I’ve seen him catch a rattlesnake with his bare hands.”

Salah looked like he was going to throw up.

“You okay, Salah? The snake’s gone, so you can take your shot now. Come on, let’s give him some room,” I said, sounding solicitous of him.

After several seconds, with his guard whispering frantically in his ear, Salah finally calmed down enough to get a club and take a shot. It wasn’t a good one, but it got him back in the fairway. The rest of them finished out the hole, like nothing had happened, but I noticed Hannah giving me a lot of glances when she thought I wasn’t looking her way.

Chuck and I were leaned up against our cart, waiting on 14. He whispered to me, “Well, you caught one rattlesnake. What are you going to do about the one on two legs?”

“Which one?”

That made him snort. “You just gelded one. I’m talking about the other one.”

“I think it’ll be interesting, catching that one behind the head, too.”

They were finally done, with everyone coming to join us. The attendant said, “Okay, we now have Mister Lewis at minus eight, the Baron and Miss Rothschild tied at minus three, and Mister Salah at two over. Rather obviously, Mister Lewis has honors, then Miss Rothschild, the Baron, and then Mister Salah. Distances are 465, 411, and 367.”

It was rather obvious from their tone that they couldn’t believe my score. I put my drive about 420 out, again without any practice swings. Hannah got it almost 230 this time, the Baron was at least not that far back of me with a 300 yard shot. Then Salah topped his ball and barely cleared the curve in the cart path ahead of the reds, almost making it to the fairway. He was rather obviously shaken, but got a great second shot, bringing him to almost even with me.

Hannah got her second shot barely on the green. The Baron missed right, but wasn’t in a bunker, just some rough. Salah also missed right, ending up close to the bunker. I put my chip shot within a foot of the cup. Net result was that Hannah and I tied with a birdie, while the other two saved par.

“Number 15 is very short, as you can see, and the water hazard is quite obvious. Miss right and your ball is wet. Please note that due to wildlife hazards, you are not allowed to attempt to retrieve your ball, even if it is barely in the water. Mister Lewis, it’s 176 for you, 110 for you, Miss Rothschild. Baron, it’s 143 for you.”

I went up with an iron and easily got an ace. The attendant told us to go ahead and retrieve my ball before anyone else shot, so we did. I could see the look of determination on Hannah’s face when she shot next. At 110 yards, she got it very close, so I gave her ball a slight nudge as it was rolling so she got an ace, too. She was excited now, when she came up to retrieve her ball, giving me a big grin. I decided to let there be a little more pressure, so when the Baron’s ball hit the green and started rolling, I put a little curve on it, so he also got a hole-in-one.

“My God, that’s only the second time I’ve done that in more than thirty years! YES!”

I didn’t have to do anything to Salah’s ball. It curved beautifully to the right and ended up making a nice splash. He was pissed, coming up to the drop area. His third shot, due to the penalty, made it to the green, so he ended up with a bogey.

The attendant got on the radio again when we were done, telling the supervisor there’d been three aces on 15.

There was a restroom at the 16th tee. We all took a moment to use the facilities. I saw Salah’s guard hand him something when he thought no one was watching. I wasn’t sure what drugs they were, but Salah quickly took them.

While we were waiting for him to get out of the bathroom, I strolled up to Hannah. “Congratulations on your hole-in-one, Hannah.”

She was still on a little bit of an endorphin high from it. “Thank you ... Cal. I must say, I’m quite impressed with your skills today.”

“There’s a reason I get to wear this hat, after all. How’d that saying go? Arrogance is when you say you can do something, confidence is when you can do something.”

She looked a little puzzled. “What’s that got to do with your hat?”

“Kansas State Champions. My team, my number, my name. I’ve already proven I can perform, that I can take a team from being losers to state champions. When we were waiting, when Salah asked me how many holes I’d played, I didn’t lie to him. First time I picked up a golf club was three weeks ago, and we played 36 holes at two of the Walt Disney World courses. He just forgot, because he’s arrogant, to ask how well I played.”

She crossed her arms, which actually made her breasts stand out a bit more. She also showed she had her red hair legitimately, with her temper showing when she asked, “Well, then how well DID you play?”

“Thirty-nine under, over 36 holes. Set one course record. The only reason I got an extra hole in there was the day I picked up my new set of clubs from Arnold Palmer’s shop in Orlando. He took my grandfathers and Jennifer out, to see how well the clubs helped them. His Bay Hill course. Number 6 there is about a 560 yard par five, although it’s only 400 yards straight across the lake. I missed the ace on that hole by four feet.”

She blinked rapidly, then looked over at Chuck, who was waiting patiently in our cart. “You, you have been his protector. Did you witness what he did before, on the golf course?”

“Ma’am, why do you think I stood back when he went to catch that rattlesnake? Mister Lewis doesn’t know how to be arrogant. Sometimes he’s a little cocky, but that comes from being confident in himself, in his skills, and in his abilities.”

Salah finally came out of the bathroom. We’d been playing faster, since no one was ahead of us. The group that was behind us was just getting to the green on 14.

“Okay, now that we’re all ready. Number 16 is 434, 353, and 325. Mister Lewis has honors, Miss Rothschild, then the Baron. You’re now at ten under, five under, and five over par.”

“Cal ... do you think you could show me here what you did before?”

“Depends upon what reward you’ll give me if I make it,” I said with a grin.

She blinked a couple of times. “I’m sure we can find something ... equitable.”

I looked at the attendants. “Straight across is about 410. It’s not out of bounds if that’s the flight path, is it?”

They looked puzzled. “Um, no Sir, but there’s not much behind it, and a LOT of water between here and there.”

“Noted.”

I double checked the wind, which still wasn’t much this morning. I took an extra couple of seconds lining things up, then let it rip. The ball easily cleared the water, landing a good five yards beyond the green. The backspin I’d put on it made it hop up, then hit the green, bounce once more, then roll to a stop about three feet from the pin.

“It just takes enough club, and proper application of backspin, as well as confidence that you can do something, not arrogance that you only think you can,” I said.

Her eyes were now gleaming with something that I’d seen before, but there was still an underlying bit of trouble.

She and the Baron both went for the safe, long drives that would put them on the green on their second shot. I wondered how crazy Salah was going to be, but I was surprised all that happened was that he hit a long, straight drive that set him up perfectly for an easy second shot. The three of them were set up nicely with birdies, while I got an eagle.

“Confidence in yourself, Hannah. It’s 172 for Salah and me, and 111 for you. Baron, have confidence in your skills, and ignore the water. It’s only 131 for you.”

I aced it, like I’d planned, then went to where I could watch their shots. I could see that Hannah was determined again on this hole, and at the same time, she kept glancing my way. It was so easy to read her thoughts at that point. When she swung, I instantly saw the trajectory and gave it just the lightest of touches. Her ball bounced once, then rolled into the hole like it had eyes.

When she came up to retrieve it, she was bouncing around like a cheerleader, giving me hugs, she was so excited. I decided to see just what would happen, so I went ahead and slipped an arm a little possessively around her, while we watched the Baron line up for his shot. She pulled me even closer.

The Baron said it as soon as his club hit the ball and he saw the follow through. “Yes!” I didn’t have to do anything; he’d hit it perfectly. He raised his right fist up in triumph with this hole-in-one, his eyes gleaming. When he got up to us, he held out his hand to me. “You are right, my young friend. Confidence in yourself, and knowing your ability, and you can achieve your goals. I look forward to discussing business with you, off the course.”

Salah put another one in the water, and ended up with a double bogey.

Number 18 was another par 5, across water to get to the fairway, then water along the right with bunkers and trees as obstacles. Somehow or other, we all ended up with birdies on it.

We rode back up to the check-in station, where there was a leader board set up, showing everyone’s name, what hole they were on, and their score. That way we could all get some more water to drink as well. While three of us were standing and discussing our shots, Salah and his guard went into the restroom again.

“I don’t think the drugs are going to help him very much,” I said.

The Baron shook his head. “Idiot. He may be used to the heat, but his heart is going to explode before we finish the course at this point.”

The club pro that was running things came up to us. “Anytime you’re ready, go ahead over to number 1. We’re in good shape time wise.” He paused for a moment, then said, “I have to ask, Mister Lewis. Why aren’t you playing professional golf?”

“That’s the same question Arnold asked me when we played against him at Bay Hill. I’ll have too much to do at Stanford, being their starting quarterback as an incoming freshman, and trying to get all my doctorates.”

“In other words, it’s not out of the realm of possibility yet. When you say Arnold, you mean Arnold Palmer, right?” I nodded. “He holds the course record here at 63 for 18 holes. You’re already at 16 under par, which means you’ve pretty much got a lock on that, unless something screws up.”

“Hannah? What’d I tell you I did on 36 holes, at Disney?”

“Thirty-nine under par,” she said as she nodded. “I believe you. You’re magnificent!”

Salah came back out, seemingly even more full of energy than before. We went over to the first tee box. I looked back up to the leader board, because I recognized Jennifer just coming off the 9th green. Angela drove her over to us.

“Hey, girl. Don’t try my thing on 13 or 16. I was proving a point. Oh, and watch out for critters. I’ve already got one rattlesnake in my bag, for later.”

She nodded. “Not a problem. Unless something drastic happens, the House of Saud is going to owe us a nice chunk of change. Apparently masculinity overrides brains.”

I looked up at the leader board. She was 3 behind me, at 13 under par. Salah wasn’t in last place, but his 7 over par was up there for everyone to see. I saw that he was at least ahead of Prince Nayef by one stroke.

“You get holes and stroke difference?”

“Of course. You doing okay with Hannah?”

“I don’t know, what do you think, Chuck?”

“I think you need to be careful or there’ll be three of you in your room after the party tonight,” he said, a terse look on his face.

“Good,” Jennifer said. “That ought to go over real well with her mother. Come on, Angela, let’s go see how we do on the back nine.”

I took it easy on the front 9, simply content to get a birdie every single hole. I also took the time to give the Baron some tips, and more time giving Hannah tips as well as just spending more time with her talking about her and her family. Apparently, she didn’t really want to get into the whole world banking thing and global domination game, but it was expected of her because she was a Rothschild.

While we were waiting on Salah to come out of the bathroom after finishing number 8, she sounded a little embarrassed and very shy, not at all like the girl I’d seen last night and this morning, when she asked, “Cal, can I share a secret with you?”

“Of course, Hannah.”

“I just want to be a creator. You know, a writer. Of my own things, not what others want of me. This life ... it’s not what it’s all cracked up to be. You have to be the perfect little girl, then the perfect little woman. I went to St. Paul’s Girls School, and just finished up at Marlborough, because that’s where royalty goes, of course. I’m taking time off before going to Oxford, but I’m not really sure I want to go there. I don’t want to do this stuff for all of my life.”

“Then don’t. Last time I looked, they did away with slavery in Britain a long time ago.”

“Oh, but I’m a Rothschild, you know. We’re not royalty, but we’re titled, because we effectively own the Bank of England. Up until three years ago, we owned France, but their socialism is only a minor setback. We’re still working to get Austria back, even though that war ended four decades ago. And we own a piece of the Netherlands, eh, Herr Baron?”

“Of course, Miss Rothschild. Your family has been good to my family, and we know to reciprocate. I’m gathering that it’s only due to circumstances now that Mister Lewis was not a part of our previous group.”

She actually grinned at him. “He was rather unknown then. However, I suspect that some changes are in the offing.”

Salah finally made it back out of the bathroom again, allowing us to finally finish the 9th hole and get back to the parking lot. Because it had been a ‘shotgun’ start, within the next fifteen minutes, everyone else pulled back in as well.

“Ladies and gentlemen, we have some light snacks and refreshments for you here in the clubhouse, while we finish things up.”

We sat down and changed back into our regular shoes, then carried our bags into the clubhouse. Setting our clubs down by a large table, three of us went up, got some drinks and snacks, then carried them back, waiting for everyone else to come in. The Baron sat across from us, but Hannah sat next to me. She was laughing at a joke I told her, her hand on my wrist, when Jennifer sat her clubs down by me.

“That looks good. It got hot out there this afternoon really quickly.” She went to the front and got something, then came back and joined us, sitting on Hannah’s other side. Hannah froze, not certain what to do.

“I take it that Cal took good care of you while on the course?”

That made Hannah’s eyes almost bug out, because she wasn’t sure what to say.

I smiled at Jennifer. “Oh, Hannah and I got along famously out there, once she got the corncob out.”

The Baron and Jennifer both understood the reference, and started laughing. Hannah didn’t. “I, uh, I think I should...”

“Sit down and finish your snacks and drinks,” Jennifer said. “What my ... well, I can’t say husband, but boyfriend isn’t enough, meant is that you were suffering from something that many of us in America have a bit of an issue with.”

The Baron nodded. “Unfortunately, I agree. It is a bit self-reinforcing, when the only ones you’re around act in a similar manner. Perhaps you noticed that I did not need to have ... I love this American expression, by the way ... a corncob pulled out of my ass to see what was in front of me.”

Hannah looked horrified then, her hands up to her face. “What? No! I didn’t!”

The Baron nodded. “I could even tell when you started working it out, my dear. It started to fall out on 13, especially after Cal caught a rattlesnake with his bare hands. It was pretty loose on 15. By the time we were complete with 17, it was gone and you were well on your way to becoming a regular human being, instead of a caricature of one. It was rather nice, sitting and listening to the two of you talk after number 8. Now, you are friends, and perhaps something more.”

I waved as Charlie and Liz came in. “Took you two long enough.” They grabbed some food and joined us. I noticed Serena come in, see where Hannah was sitting, nod slightly, and sit elsewhere.

“We finished on 3 and 7, which are out in the boondocks. A couple of our foursome had no damn clue about what they were doing on a golf course. But all in all, it was a good morning,” Charlie said. “How’d it go for all of you?”

“Ah, Mister Koch. We’ve only met peripherally. I hate to use my title, but I am Baron Hans Thyssen-Bornemisza. Please, call me Henry. I envy you.”

That was the last thing Charlie Koch was expecting to hear. “Excuse me?”

“I envy you. I have only had the pleasure of the company of this young man for a few hours. He is ... remarkable, to say the least. If our world was the same as it was at this time last year, I would say that he is destined for greatness. The way it is now, I say that he is destined for ... well, whatever is better than that. Fame, fortune ... who knows? There literally is no limit that I can put on what I think he could do or be if he sets his mind to it. And you are, from what I see, both his business partner, but more important than that, you are his friends.”

I looked across the table. “I’ve been calling you Baron when talking to you as a sign of respect for your title, but I’m not sure I ought to do that now. I’m more wondering if I ought to call you a ride to the local loony bin.”

The Baron started laughing, deep from his belly. When he finally got his breath back, he said, “My young friend, please call me Henry as well. I can see why the young Miss Rothschild has truly become so taken with you after such a short time.” He turned to Charlie. “You just played the course. Do you know what this youngster did? He gave Miss Rothschild and I an impressive and quite impromptu speech on the difference between arrogance and confidence. And he backed up his speech by his performance! That is why I envy you. You already knew him, know him.”

“That doesn’t surprise me in the least, Henry. There’s a reason why Cal not only just graduated from high school, but also graduated from the local junior college at the same time with, what, fourteen associate’s degrees?”

“Fifteen,” I said, to stunned looks from Hannah and Henry.

Before I could explain, the speaker system in the room activated. “Good afternoon! I hope everyone had an enjoyable eighteen holes of golf today.”

We gave him a polite round of applause.

“It’s my understanding that there will be recognition this evening at your dinner, with formal trophies and awards for the best five scores today. We did try to run this as close to a professional tournament as we could, given your time constraints, and based upon the results, I think it was quite successful. Before you board your buses for your trip back to your hotel, we are handing out to each and every participant a photocopy of everyone’s score, for both each hole as well as total stroke count.”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close