A True History Book Two - Cover

A True History Book Two

Copyright© 2020 by StarFleet Carl

Chapter 29

I didn’t particularly enjoy throwing up into a trash can, which I was able to do after only drinking enough of the syrup of ipecac to make it look plausible, due to my control. The charcoal, followed by the trip to the hospital emergency room for the stomach pump, wasn’t pleasant, either. I didn’t think I actually needed any of them, but given the circumstances, I couldn’t refuse.

The minor detail that Mendoza provided the antidote to us didn’t hurt.

I wish I could have been there, when six men burst into his room as he was packing up to leave. Three men from the House of Al Saud, Mike, Brad, and William Dangu. He didn’t even bother trying to deny what he’d done, or that’s what they reported, anyway. I doubt that when he eventually regains consciousness, that he will challenge what they said he voluntarily told them.

It was fortunate that he had four doses of the antidote made up, so that Hannah, Henry, Jennifer, and I could drink them. William might have been angry, otherwise.

By six o’clock in the evening, we were all back from the hospital.

Our teams had brought us a change of clothing, since at least some of what we’d been wearing had gotten splatter on it, trying to get rid of the contents of our stomachs. Based upon what Mendoza had told them, there wouldn’t be any short or long term side effects, and the antidote itself was completely harmless even if we’d managed to get all of the poison out of our systems before taking it.

The four of us rode back from the hospital in the same van. We were being driven by Melvin, with Stephen driving an identical van just ahead of us, loaded with a lot of very heavily armed Wackenhut security personnel. Our individual teams were still unarmed; these were regular guards that had been seconded to us for the remainder of the event.

I don’t know if George would have authorized that on his own or not, but apparently there was a statement of intention made by a Federal judge that not only would every Wackenhut contract in or outside of this country receive an immediate audit, but that the Assistant Commandant of the United States Marine Corps happened to have an entire battalion of Force Recon Marines that had just returned from Cuba available for immediate deployment for a ‘training exercise.’

The van behind us held the members of our teams. They weren’t allowed to ride in the van with us.

Henry was sitting partially sideways in the seat, while Jennifer and Hannah were on either side of me. I had my arms up, allowing them to both lean on me.

“I appear to owe you my life, Cal.”

“Not really, Henry. You wouldn’t have been in that situation if you hadn’t just happened to eat breakfast with us.”

“Eating breakfast with you was a deliberate decision on my part, though. Not only was I expecting to receive a decent little sum of money this morning, I was also planning on talking with you about doing what I can do to partner with you in my own country. At least this was only an unpleasant experience on what has otherwise been quite possibly the best trip I’ve ever made to this country.”

Hannah said, “Is that what this was? I’m so angry right now that I want to rip the balls off Sheikh Al Rajhi! I’ve had medical procedures done before, of course. Having that tube stuck down my throat was not an unpleasant experience. It was an attack upon my person. More importantly, on two people I love! Three, counting the unborn child that Jennifer carries.”

From the front seat, Melvin said, “Miss Rothschild, um, I don’t think you’re going to have to worry about that. Um ... damn.”

“Melvin, if you’re worried about things, the offer that Mike made still stands,” I said.

“Thank you, Mister Lewis. It’s not so much that, it’s ... well, anything I say is going to be tinted by what I saw and heard, as well as my own experience. It may not be the full and entire story. But ... your feelings regarding the Sheikh are pretty irrelevant at this point.”

Before he could continue, Hannah burst out, “Oh, they are, are they?”

“Yes, Ma’am. But not for the reason you think.”

“Oh, I’m sorry. Melvin, is it? I’m afraid that I’m living proof right now that redheads are known to have a bit of a temper.”

“Completely understandable, Ma’am. We’re just about at the hotel, so ... I think it’s better for the Prince to explain. Please, be patient.”

He pulled up in front of the hotel. Bailing out of the front van, the armed guards made a bit of a cordon for us to enter the hotel. The three members of Henry’s team, and everyone from our team escorted us in.

There were several rolling carts with trays sitting on them off to one side, covers over each of the trays. A member of the Saudi security team stood behind each of them. Prince Nayef was standing in front of the carts, waiting for us. The look of concern on his face was evident. Just off to one side, closer to the inside door, stood Kamatari and his principal. His principal was wearing traditional Japanese clothing, while Kamatari was wearing a full suit of samurai armor, complete with all of the traditional edged weapons.

“Cal, you and yours, and you, Henry? Are you all truly fine and recovered from this incident?”

“Thank you for your concern, Nayef. While we were in some danger, at the time we stopped, I do not believe any of us had ingested enough of the poison that we would have had any long term harm, with our immediate reaction.”

“Which means, of course, that if you had done nothing, then the four of you would be dying right now,” Nayef stated.

“Your Highness, according to the information we received from Mendoza, the antidote could have been administered at any time up until midnight tonight, and they would have recovered with no side effects worse than a mild stomach upset.” Mike sighed. “Of course, if they had not taken it by then, you are correct, and none of them would have lived to see the dawn tomorrow.”

He continued, “At the same time, as Mister Lewis states, the low amount of poison that actually was ingested was not enough to cause any harm, given the actions taken.”

Nayef nodded. “I see. As the main protector for your people, what do you think, in your professional opinion?”

“Politely, your Highness, I think we dodged a bullet. Or at worst, were grazed by one. There is no long term physical harm done to my principal or his family. Not the way things turned out. If it’d had a different outcome ... then scorched and salted earth, of course. That’s the only recourse.”

“Mister Douglas, were you aware that, as a member of the Saudi Royal family, due to the exigencies of matters of state, I am allowed to consume foods that are haram?”

Mike’s eyes widened then. “No, your Highness, I was not.”

“In fact, just as Cal made his pronouncement, I was going to ask to try the meat that Miss Lewis did not eat, so that I would not give offense to Cal in the matters of both business and state that we are conducting. Therefore, by his actions, Sheikh Al Rajhi attempted to kill a member of the Saudi Royal family. I’m certain that you know our customs well enough that there is only one punishment for that.”

With that, he motioned, and the guards raised the lids on the trays. The heads of every member of the Al Rajhi party that wasn’t a guard were now on display.

“As you said, my friend, don’t fuck with me or mine. Mister Tamotsu very generously gave permission for Mister Kamatari to loan me the Tachi he was awarded last night, to deal with this issue. Remarkable sword, and ... it spoke to me. It approved of what needed to be done. Mister Kamatari is dressed this way now, because he approves of what was done, as well.”

The guards lowered the lids, covering the display of heads.

“As you said, Mister Douglas, scorched earth. Would you all join me now?”

He gestured for us, so we followed him. The tables had been set up in the dining room for the formal Christmas Party this evening, but it wasn’t scheduled to start for another hour. Several people were already seated and waiting inside. One of them got up from the table and walked over to me.

“So much for going to a simple Christmas party, having some fun, and otherwise just relaxing, eh?”

“I’d say I’m shocked, but I think the shock is that you appear to be by yourself. Hannah, this is another face to put with a name from your folder, my grandfather, Judge Elroy T. Bannister. Elroy, this is Miss Hannah Mary Rothschild.”

Elroy turned to her, presenting his hand. “How do you do, young lady?”

“Charmed, Your Honor. I hope that I get to know you considerably better over the next several years, as I’ve not got the same history as so many others in the family.”

“Perhaps. As for being alone ... while Harry is your legal guardian, I’m listed as well. Due to ... certain things, he is physically incapable of being here. Or did you forget one relatively minor detail, and that is you’re still considered a minor, especially with the potential health issues that are at stake?”

I was silent for a few seconds, then said, “Quite honestly, I did. You know how unlikely something like that is, but I also remember Harry leaving written authorization for Beth. Truthfully, it didn’t cross my mind that it might be needed. For any of us.”

“Jennifer is obviously of legal age, so that wasn’t an issue. But this did bring up an issue that I’ll get resolved before you leave for California, so that if medical services are needed for any of you, one of the others can authorize them,” he said. “And speaking of Jennifer, are you and my great-grandchild doing okay?”

“I hadn’t ingested anything, Elroy, so with me, it was mostly an extreme case of caution. Cal, Hannah, and Henry, on the other hand...”

“So I heard.” He turned his head. “Nayef, I’m satisfied. To use a phrase, let’s sit down and chew the fat.”

“Of course, Elroy.”

I followed the two of them to the table, a frown on my face. The frown deepened when I saw the other three people at the table were Tess and Serena, along with a man I didn’t recognize, but presumed was Hannah’s father. However, none of the three of them said a word, even when the rest of us walked over and sat down.

I could tell Hannah was a little puzzled by this, but she held onto my hand as she had been doing, only letting go when I held the seats out first for Jennifer, then for her. Once I was seated, Nayef clapped his hands. Servers came out with four plates of small, bite-sized sandwiches, and iced tea.

“As the four of you not only did not get to enjoy the breakfast that I had ordered for you, you were all greatly inconvenienced and suffered injury while my guests. Therefore, first, something light, to help you, before the meal later. Please, feel free to ‘dig into chow,’ as Elroy once told me, and have no concern regarding manners should you feel the need to speak while eating, it is quite understood.”

I nodded, then picked up one of the finger sandwiches and ate it. That gave permission for the rest to eat as well, for even Henry was watching me, to see what I’d do. I took a sip, then said, “Let me make a guess. Saudi Arabia was supplying the Allies with oil, and with their refineries, diesel and gasoline. In order to actually pay for the oil and gas, some medium of exchange had to be made. While money worked well, transferring payments from one bank account to another, something that the Kingdom actually desperately needed was raw materials, because while you have some iron ore, mostly you have oil, and sand.

“How better to pay for oil than with scrap steel, from equipment too badly damaged to be worth repairing, which could then be melted down in your own smelter, and used for things you specifically needed, at a much lower cost than simply bringing the finished product from another nation? You were, what, eight years old, when you met this American that was actually bringing the materials into your country, and there were some side deals made with your father, for higher quality steel that otherwise was being shipped back to the United States?”

I picked up another sandwich bite. “How’d I do?” I popped it into my mouth.

Elroy simply held out his hand. Nayef shook his head, reached into a fold within his robes, and pulled something out, slapping it into Elroy’s hand. “Sorry, I don’t have anything as simple as a one dollar bill. Here, it’s a one riyal silver coin.”

“It’s not the value of the bet, but that the terms were made and honored,” Elroy said.

“So you told me, long ago. So I have lived and understood. You taught this one well, about honor, and being honorable. Just as I was proud to call you my friend, so too am I honored and proud to call him the same.”

I’d eaten two more sandwiches, and had already finished one glass of tea, which was instantly replaced with another.

“For what it’s worth, Nayef, I truly had no idea about the connection that you and Elroy had up until just a few minutes ago. What he did during the war, as far as recovering scrap metal, that I knew about.”

Nayef smiled. “That’s perfectly fine, Cal. Until Elroy and several members of your team from Kansas came storming into the dining room this afternoon, I had no idea of your connection to him, either.”

Serena said, “If this touching reunion is about over...”

Nayef looked at her. “Silence your tongue, woman! I already told the three of you that you are here only at my tolerance, now.”

Before Serena could open her mouth, Tess spun and slapped her. “My apologies to you, your Highness. I suspect that finding her daughter appears to be fine has made my step-daughter overwrought with joy.”

“If you want to go with that fiction, I’ll allow it, of course. However, keep in mind that I have been a part of the council as well. The rules ... well, let’s just say that the world has changed since the summer, and the rules are suspended.” He paused. “Perhaps you need a reminder of that.”

He turned and nodded to one of his men, who motioned for the guards to wheel the carts in. They brought the carts over to their side of the table, then casually took the trays off the carts, placing them on the table. The guards tilted the lids up, blocking the view of the heads from our side of the table, but making sure they were visible to Tess, Serena, and the man. The guards simply slid the lids back a little on the table, propping then open on top of the heads, then stepped back.

Nayef smiled, saying, “The hotel has many more carts and trays, if you wish to join your friends.”

While both Jennifer and Hannah’s hands were digging a little into each of my legs, they were maintaining a slight grin and continuing to eat. Henry actually laughed a little at their discomfort.

Nayef smiled at Henry. “I am very happy to see that you are feeling better, Henry. I truly was concerned for all of you. Especially once I found out what my friend from Japan was involved in, as I had never previously met him. Once that knowledge was within my grasp, it made it much easier to see where you would fit in with all of us.”

Henry was puzzled. “I’m truly sorry, Nayef, but I don’t understand.”

“You’re forgiven. This puzzle is complex. Of course, as Cal mentioned a few moments ago, one thing Saudi Arabia, and thus the House of Al Saud, has in quantity is oil. We all know the importance of petroleum in the modern world. Cal, of course with his intellect and abilities, has effectively and completely cornered the wind power generation market, making it more efficient and completely economical. Would you not agree with that?”

Henry nodded. “I know he’s done other things, too, with computers, but yes, so far as wind turbines are concerned, you’re quite right.”

Nayef nodded his head in acknowledgment of that. “Of course, wind power is only as good as the source of the wind. Even with all of the advances in technology, there is still a need for additional electrical generation, simply to take up the slack that could be caused by an unusually low wind, or when the turbines would have to go offline during a hurricane, for those near a coast. Mister Tamotsu?”

“Thank you, your Highness. I am Hideo Tamotsu, chairman of the Greater Southeast Asia Power Corporation. Yes, I am well aware of the historical reference in our name. The difference being that our intentions are to provide clean and safe nuclear power as an available and economical option for all of the nations within the region. To that end, we have been working for the last ten years on designing and modernizing the designs for liquid metal cooled reactors. We recently completed construction of our first unit. One of the things we discovered is that the units appear to be quite scalable.”

He noticed my smile and nod. “It was not an accident that you came to my table last night, was it? And then went to talk to his Highness. Allow me to relieve you of any stress that you may have. We agree, both of us.”

Nayef said, “We also believe that Henry should be the public coordinator and effective head of our consortium. You are a well-known industrialist, and well skilled at turning things around. Now, we offer the chance to build something different. Governments and private industry are ordering the wind turbines, but are also concerned about having to keep regular coal, oil, or gas fired plants around for back-up. Now, they can have small, safe reactors. This will be incredibly advantageous for those smaller nations that simply don’t have the room for conventional power generation facilities.”

Henry frowned. “I could see that, Nayef, but ... how does that help your country? I would think that would reduce the amount of oil you’d need to produce.”

“I am the Interior Minister for our nation. I know exactly how many barrels of oil per day we produce, as well as how many are available in reserve. I am also not so blind as to look into the future. Every barrel, every gallon, every quart of oil that we produce that is used to produce gasoline could be used to make other things. At the current rate of production, we easily have enough for the needs of the world for another hundred and fifty years. But my brother and I have also seen what has happened to our neighbors. We cannot continue living the way we have been, and I have no reason to think that any mythological creature supposedly living in a comet will change things.”

That almost made someone from the Rothschild side of things open their mouth.

Nayef smiled at them. “Very good, you’re learning. I specifically came here, to this party, for one reason, and one reason only. That was to meet Cal, to see if what we had heard, and what others feared, were true. I have done so. I am satisfied with what I have found. Our government owns all of Aramco now. Completely unrelated, but you have something in common with the President of Aramco, Cal. He is a Cardinal as well. I believe you will get along famously. Aramco wishes to partner with you, and with Mister Tamotsu, in a power generation plan that will power all of the Middle East and South East Asia.”

I rubbed my chin. “You know of my requirement, that the turbines can only be made in Kansas, even if the blades or other components can be made elsewhere.”

“Of course. I would not have made this proposal otherwise. One other item, my young friend. No more than five percent of any profits are to be kept for wealth, or to enrich those of us who invest in this. All of the remainder will be used to grow the company and to improve the lives of the peoples in the countries around the world that we provide power to, whether that’s to build more infrastructure, or build factories where they can also work, or provide medical care for them. My country and my people are already wealthy. After a certain point, money itself becomes meaningless.”

“Yes, I said it, Jacob. I saw that look. Your wealth in and of itself is meaningless if all you do is hoard it, or use it for your own selfish purposes. Look at what your wealth and your selfish purposes have done with your money. What good would all of that money have done for you if Cal had not realized their food had been poisoned? Your daughter’s face would be looking at you from that platter now, instead of that of Sheikh Al Rajhi.”

I looked at Mister Tamotsu, and in Japanese, asked, “Honorable Sir, I ask, do you have a copy of the plans for one of your reactors available? Not the full plans, of course. I realize those are too large to carry in a simple case.”

He smiled at me. “I had a feeling you would ask.” He reached down beside him, and pulled a folded sheet out, handing it to me. I nodded, then started unfolding it.

It ended up being almost three feet on a side. I scanned through it, frowning at a couple of spots, smiling at others. Without asking, Hannah pulled out a mechanical pencil for me to use. I didn’t even realize it at the time, I simply nodded again, then made half a dozen different notations on the drawing. I circled one piece of machinery, put an ‘X’ through it, and then quickly sketched out a different pumping configuration. I knew I didn’t have a lot of time, so I stopped there.

“Apologies, Tamotsu-san. My family told me a long time ago that while we were in school at Stanford, that I would need to visit Japan. I didn’t know then how prescient they were. I would like the opportunity to go over with your engineers the formal prints for this. You have a very good design, with the exception of this one pump. I think I can help reduce the costs of each unit by fifteen percent, and increase the efficiency by a similar amount.”

He looked at the notes that I had written. His eyes widened dramatically. “It shall be done. The sooner, the better.”

“We’ll figure out if we can go to Japan next week, after the holiday, or would it be too much trouble for them to visit Kansas then, if my schedule doesn’t have the freedom?”

“Two of our top engineers will be available, with the full plans, beginning Monday, whether they need to fly to Kansas or anywhere else.”

“Thank you, Tamotsu-san. You do me much honor.”

“No, Lewis-san. You honor us, just as you honored the divine spirit living within the Tachi of Kamatari-san. It was proud to dispatch your enemies at the hand of a friend.”

I nodded at him again. In English, I said, “Henry, presuming you’d like to be involved in this, I believe we have a deal.”

“Of course, I do, Cal.”

“In that case, then, we have a deal. We’ll figure out the unimportant stuff later, like what the thing is called. But one thing that is important ... Tess, have you figured it out yet?”

She shook her head, startled at being called upon. “I apologize. I speak some Japanese, and I was still trying to translate in my mind what you were just saying, as I wasn’t expecting to be called upon.”

I chuckled. “I realize that it can be a jarring experience. Have you figured it out yet?”

Rather than continuing to stall, or playing innocent, she simply nodded. “I don’t think I’ve ever seen someone play the drunk so well ever. You truly had me fooled, and that’s not easy to do.”

“Who was playing?” I smiled. “Mike, what was in each of those glasses?”

“Three ounces of twelve year old Glenlivet, Sir.”

“That’s bloody well impossible! No one can drink that much, that quickly, and not feel the effects of it!”

“Again, who said I wasn’t feeling the effects? Mike and Chuck had to literally carry me under my arms to our room last night. You saw that, when you turned back with that little, worried smile on your face. Ah, the light begins to dawn, doesn’t it? Just because I was hammered, blitzed, snockered, and completely drunk, doesn’t mean I ever lost control. Either of what I was doing, or saying.”

“Son ... of ... a ... bitch! You chose your words deliberately last night. We wanted you to take over the world, using political power. You’re doing it with real power! FUCK!”

Serena and her husband looked at Tess with wide eyes.

Tess’s hand waved a little bit, pointing at two of the heads. “Thank you, your Highness, for taking care of these two bumbling and incompetent fools. What you’ve done is even beyond my power, but certainly not beyond what I’d want to do to them if you hadn’t done it already! Dammit, you weren’t kidding at all last night with your crudity! I’ve been around farm animals, we all have. We know what sucking on the hind teat means. I’m infuriated, oh, not with you! Not with you, Cal, at all!

“God, no. My husband and son ... their playing behind the scenes, carefully doing their little machinations, manipulations, following the plans of our family that go back for centuries. You said it so well last night, with one word that may well be our epithet. Amateurs! All of us!”

“If I may ... what are you talking about, Mother? I wasn’t here last night. I simply came here, as quickly as I could, because my wife called, that our daughter had lost her mind, wasn’t following the plan, and our world was falling apart. I know that Serena was quite ... intoxicated ... when she called me. I only got here, literally fifteen minutes before they walked in, and have been forced to sit here, in silence,” he said.

“Sir, if I may interrupt? I don’t believe we’ve been introduced. I’m Cal Lewis.”

“I figured that. I’m Hannah’s father, Jacob Rothschild.”

I tilted my head. “But ... that’s not your full name, is it?”

He shook his head. “I seldom use my full name. Due to the common usage of my actual first name in our family, I go by Charles Jacob Rothschild.”

“Charles is a common first name in your family?”

“No, it’s Nathaniel.” He looked puzzled. “I’m sorry, I’m confused. Why is this so important?”

“Obviously, and probably just like you, I have met a lot of people, many with the same first name. But just for clarification, your full name is Nathaniel Charles Jacob Rothschild.”

He looked exasperated. “Are you bloody deaf? Yes, that’s me.”

“Elroy, would you please introduce yourself?”

The grin on his face was enormous. “With pleasure, Cal, with pleasure. Mister Nathaniel Charles Jacob Rothschild, my name is Elroy T. Bannister. Judge Elroy T. Bannister, Reno County Circuit Court, Hutchinson, Kansas. Lieutenant General Elroy T. Bannister, United States Army Judge Advocate General Corps. Special Deputy United States Marshal Elroy T. Bannister.”

He paused, taking a breath. “I had to work my way through those, you see, because that last title is the important one right now. Because one of the jobs I did while earning the rest of my titles is the one that’s caused me the most sleepless nights of my life. Investigating attorney for the Warren Commission into the assassination of President John Fitzgerald Kennedy. The assassination that you paid for. Nathaniel Charles Jacob Rothschild, you’re under arrest.”

“You FUCKING bastard!” That came from my left. “All of your shit about a peaceful world! Now, so much of what I’ve seen over the years makes sense! Always have someone else do your fucking dirty work for you, keeping your fingers clean! My Gods, I can’t believe you’ve gotten away with it for so LONG! I’m fucking ASHAMED to be your daughter, you filthy piece of SHIT!” The server had just filled her glass with tea before Elroy’s pronouncement. The entire contents of the glass went flying across the table, at and onto her father.

Hannah’s outburst and actions had stunned Rothschild. He didn’t move for several seconds, simply shocked. During those seconds, my team had been moving, rapidly going behind Tess, Serena, and Jacob. By the time Jacob broke his paralysis, it was too late.

“Get your hands off me!”

“Sorry, you’re not protected by jack shit when you’ve paid to kill a President,” Mike said. “Missus Rothschild, Lady Rothschild, consider yourselves to be accessories at this point, which also voids any protections you have.”

Tess said, “Lay a finger on me and I’ll see you fired and blackballed from ever working anywhere for security again.”

That made ME laugh. “What power do you think you’ll have, Tess, to do that? First, I’ll hire every fucking one of them to come work for me, personally. Second, you see those armed Wackenhut guards that are now pointing their weapons at you? You forget that I have two men I consider grandfathers. Elroy is only one of them. The other is the Federal judge that promised a complete colostomy of Wackenhut if anything happened to me. He’s also the Federal judge that said there’s an entire battalion of Force Recon Marines available for a ‘training exercise,’ right here, right now. Oh, and he also was an investigating attorney on the Warren Commission.”

“Damn shame that President Reagan presented all the evidence several days ago, after the Marines ended up with Fidel Castro in their custody,” Elroy said. “And that I still have enough contacts in Washington that they called ME asking my opinion on just who I thought NJR was, since that was the ONLY name we didn’t have, to wrap all of this up. Who’d put up that much money, spread that much money around, to kill Kennedy and to try to kill Reagan? Oh, yeah, it almost screwed them up, because they were running things by me from the ‘file’ they found with Putin’s body. NCR, instead of NJR. Of course. NCJR.”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close